Rat King Mission, can not even get started.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
We can't know whether the respawn/build rate at 1× speed is the normal/planned one or not. It can be bugged too. Maybe the one at 5× speed is the planned. Or maybe not :)

The 1x building speed is pretty consistent with Majesty 1, so I'm assuming that's the intended speed and the 5x is too fast.

The wizards' guild + towers tactic sounds good, though. I haven't really used wizard towers so far, and completely forgot that they don't need any builders.

This was the most difficult mission I ran into so far, and that's only for the first 10-15 minutes (really, that long for me). I had to restart about five times, because I was getting overwhelmed using a tower-build strategy, a rangers guild strategy, etc, etc.

What I landed on was the following:

- Tower of Lords first, and only this (once this goes up it has a ton of HP and is difficult to take down)

- Hire a fighter lord - you need someone who will patrol the town and like fights

At that point, I was pretty much untouchable, because I had such a strong defensemen, and most of time I had to concentrate on building an economy, which took forever

- Build three towers and upgrade all of them

- Build a rangers guild and start exploring

- Build a fourth tower, upgrade it

- Situate your market in between some towers - I had wanted to build a market sooner, but it kept getting destroyed. I need four towers to defend it

- Clerics guild

- Blacksmith

- Warriors Guild

- Wizards Guild - Wizards towers

By this time the mission is very easy and is mostly just fun clearing out the map.

Heres a tip. One of the things that makes this mission so difficult is that the rat king kills your tax men, gimping your income. However, your tax men dont have to make it back to the palace to drop off taxes, they can do it at a regular tower. So build your marketplace (your largest sorce of income) a bit away from the palace, and put a tower right next to it. Your tax men will load up from the marketplace, and drop it right off in the tower. You wont lose nearly as much income this way.

I didn't cheat with time speeding to beat this one.

Just started a ranger, rogue and warriors guild all at different sides of the castle. Usually at least one or two of those buildings will finish without getting their peasants killed. Recruit your cheap heroes and they'll keep the rats under control.

Once all 9 heroes are out, I built a marketplace with a tower next to it (so the tax man won't get killed by the Rat King).

At this point you should be able to do whatever build you normally do. I built cleric>mage>cleric at this point then started killing lairs and building trade stations.

Wizard towers are often a good tower to place where they will be the one to get attacked, because they not only build themselves, but self-repair as well, as if they had a peasant building them at all times.

However, there's no need for a speed trick to get your towers done before the Rat King arrives. Just don't build anything except your four towers until the towers are done, not even your marketplace. That worked for me at 1x speed, and I was even able to get them upgraded with no problems.

I don't know how or why but somehow I beat the rat king without even noticing. After his cage was placed he kept spawning rats but after a while my heroes defeated him. I was so occupied building stuff and making parties I didn't even see them fighting him. I'm not even sure if they do fight him after the you know what with cheese spawns.

Whoa, you guys are hardcore.
1. Build warrior guild -> 3 warriors.
2. Marketplace -> healing potions
3. Build towers and upgrade them.
After some time - when you will have $$$
4. Build second warriors guild -> another 3 warriors. They will come in handy.
5. Dwarven towers - you don't need many, 2-4 will do fine.
Simple and gives results.
Warriors guild are the best guild in beginning. Warriors do not die as quick as rogues, they do not suck against undead as rangers.

playing at 1x i did this by

Build at once
1) rogue guild
2) 4 towers
3) marketplace

Get the rogues out and then go for potions next ranger guild and statue of the king. Then just build rogue and ranger guilds and upgrade your towers (there cheap to rez) until u have about three of each build them to the SE corner and kill the skellie spawn points all around the caravan spot then get the caravan up, your income should settle and now you can start playing. Keep using defense flags on your towers as needed.

I built NW of my castle by starting with a tower and ranger's guild. My plan was to place a few guard towers (2-3) near my Palace and mostly ignore it. The strategy worked remarkably well.

The rats will spend most of their time gnawing on peasant huts or guardsmen while market and guilds are slowly building up. The Palace is durable enough that peasants can repair the damage before its in any danger and due to my Ranger camp placement they'd often help trim down the rat population in their spare time. A few times my guard towers would be overrun but by then I could put up Dwarven Towers -- and those never went down.

At 1x.

Rogue guild, Rogue Guild, Marketplace, Hall of Lords => 17th level warrior defending town from anything the rogues couldn't deal with already. Smooth sailing from then on.

If I could have been sure of completing building it without having rats annoy the builders the Hall of Lords would have been earlier in the sequence. I like using lords appropriate to the situation on hand rather than the "best" (i.e. most expensive) lords.

As an alternate build I did:

Rogue guild, Rogue Guild, Ranger Guild.

Once these were populated I had a swarming, beast slaying pack of rogues and rangers protecting the town. This gave me time to get a Marketplace up and running, smooth sailing from there.

You start with 4 peasants I think, so you can effectively build 2 buildings at once right from the start.

on 1x I did:

1. Ranger's guild and Ranger's guild
2. built 6 rangers
3. Marketplace and ranger's guild
4. 3 more rangers

From there was fine... not one of my rangers died.

I got thrashed my first few times on this one trying conventional guild/tower tactics, so I just basically resorted to the Hall of Lords thing and had my lv16 warrior lord running around taking care of business. Throw a few towers down, bust out the Clerics then fighters then rangers and i was cooking w/ grease then.

This was the most difficult mission I ran into so far, and that's only for the first 10-15 minutes (really, that long for me). I had to restart about five times, because I was getting overwhelmed using a tower-build strategy, a rangers guild strategy, etc, etc.

What I landed on was the following:

- Tower of Lords first, and only this (once this goes up it has a ton of HP and is difficult to take down)

- Hire a fighter lord - you need someone who will patrol the town and like fights

At that point, I was pretty much untouchable, because I had such a strong defensemen, and most of time I had to concentrate on building an economy, which took forever

- Build three towers and upgrade all of them

- Build a rangers guild and start exploring

- Build a fourth tower, upgrade it

- Situate your market in between some towers - I had wanted to build a market sooner, but it kept getting destroyed. I need four towers to defend it

- Clerics guild

- Blacksmith

- Warriors Guild

- Wizards Guild - Wizards towers

By this time the mission is very easy and is mostly just fun clearing out the map.

This one worked for me.

Whats up with this mission? Like 6 sewers right off the bat before you even build, not to mention bears and skels. How the heck you supposed to get started. They destroy everything I try to make and kill the builders.
JUST TURN VSYNC ON
Dude, other people can build things because there's a bug in the game, if your frame rate is over 60fps your buildings build slower.
There is a video in youtube, "Majesty - change dificulty with fps" or something like that and a topic on steam that talk about this, maybe this is your problem, but I think I got here a little late. :D