Rat King Mission, can not even get started.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Trila

Private
44 Badges
Sep 17, 2009
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Majesty 2
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Prison Architect
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • 500k Club
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Stellaris
  • Ancient Space
Whats up with this mission? Like 6 sewers right off the bat before you even build, not to mention bears and skels. How the heck you supposed to get started. They destroy everything I try to make and kill the builders.

I found this one pretty easy, first off I built 3 ranger guilds and the associated rangers. The swarms of rats had nothing on my swarm of rangers, leaving me free to do whatever I wanted.

Teched to Dwarves to plug the sewers with their towers then went off and did the quest.

Start with towers (minimum 2, maximum 4) between the sewers and upgrade them ASAP. It helped me to go through the first mins and after then the map is not so hard at all :)

The towers are a big thing in this mission, and in most missions I usually build one near monster spawning buildings. If you are having trouble getting them up, consider using the 5x glitch.

Rangers suck against undead, so don't use only rangers.

not sure what you all are doing, but I can not even get a thing built. they instantly kill my builders then the buildings. If I build further away from castle I can get a few things up, but same result happens in the end.

You have a day or so before the sewers start spawning rats, so you'll want buildings that build fast. Ranger and Rogue Guilds build very quickly, Towers, Warrior and Cleric Guilds however don't.

As soon as the map starts, drop the speed down low and whack a few ranger or rogue guilds close to your palace so your peasants don't have to walk far. As soon as you have some heroes pacifying the area, you can set the peasants to work on the slower things like Towers or Clerics.

Time is of the essence so work fast.

Rangers are probably the better one to start with since they don't need to run as far to get the rats off your buildings/peasants, and in large enough numbers (6-9 of them) they will trounce any undead on the map regardless of resists.

You have a day or so before the sewers start spawning rats, so you'll want buildings that build fast. Ranger and Rogue Guilds build very quickly, Towers, Warrior and Cleric Guilds however don't.

As I said: I easily did the map with starting towers only at the first try.
So it's a possible tactic, trust me.:rolleyes:

I might have been a little lucky on my side with the Rat King not attacking the right things but I actually built the Fighters Guild first (And only the Fighters guild, so all my builders were concentrating on that), at about 3/4 of the way I built a market for the income and temple came next.

In the Fighters Guild get full people and Call to Arms ASAP (Call to Arms can be very useful if you are out-numbered; a good three or so mediocre fighters to help you). For the Priests, I just like the synergy they have with Fighters with all the healing.

You should be slowly gaining money, build a rangers Den right after the Rat King goes top-side (To ensure he doesn't randomly appear and go "Oh look, just starting building that? DESTROY!").

Research Healing potions soon as well...

As others have said, this mission is really about the start. There's a little bit of luck involved, depending on what building or person the Rat King is going to smack.

Building your first buildings close to the castle, so your Royal Guard can at least slow down some rats on the way to your buildings/peasants, is a good idea.

I finally hit my winning combination with two ranger guilds. They build quick, the Rangers are cheap, and have a special shot that deals extra damage to beasts. Followed up with market place and warrior's guild. (Don't put down too many structures at once, your peasants need to be focused!)

After I had a good amount of heroes, I built a bunch of towers to keep the rat problem under control. You could do the towers first I guess, but there are a couple lairs right near you at the start and it seems worth it to take them out quickly.

I found this easy
1. slow the game all the way down as soon as the mission starts(i do this all the time)
2. Build market on right side of castle. The rat men focus on attacking the market this takes pressure off towers.
3. Build 3 towers each by spawn points
4. Build Rogues Guild near towers
5. Build Rangers guild near towers
6 get healing pots

speed game up

which ever guild gets done first pump out 3 guys fast and keep buying heroes
and replace towers as needed

I built a Hall of Lords northwest of the castle. The rats spawned at the sewers to the southeast and attacked the peasant houses there, giving me enough time to finish and summon my Ranger lord (level 14). He held them off for a bit until I had enough gold to summon my Rogue lord (level 21) as well.

All smooth sailing afterwards, as they were more than capable of holding them back without backup (which later came from a Ranger's Guild built north of the Hall of Lords).

I didn't bother with towers until later when I wanted to build a marketplace directly north of the castle for easy gold collection. Had to have something to stop the rats from killing the peasants constructing it.

Honestly, a lot of your starts sound expensive. What I did was much simpler. I didn't build a marketplace or any guilds, just four towers, one at each sewer grate. Just one each. And don't build anything else until they're done. You want the peasants to concentrate on the towers, not be distracted and spread out doing other things. Then upgrade each tower the moment it's built (By the time you're at four towers, upgrading the existing ones is cheaper than building new ones, and also WAY more effective).

Once you have four upgraded towers, the sewer grates and the Rat King are already dealt with. He'll never be a problem for the rest of the game. Just build your marketplace, save up money, and build guilds. Start with clerics, because they're the hardest to kill and you'll be dealing mostly with undead. Then build warriors.

The rest is easy.

Honestly, a lot of your starts sound expensive. What I did was much simpler. I didn't build a marketplace or any guilds, just four towers, one at each sewer grate. Just one each. And don't build anything else until they're done. You want the peasants to concentrate on the towers, not be distracted and spread out doing other things. Then upgrade each tower the moment it's built (By the time you're at four towers, upgrading the existing ones is cheaper than building new ones, and also WAY more effective).

Once you have four upgraded towers, the sewer grates and the Rat King are already dealt with. He'll never be a problem for the rest of the game. Just build your marketplace, save up money, and build guilds. Start with clerics, because they're the hardest to kill and you'll be dealing mostly with undead. Then build warriors.

The rest is easy.
This technique worked very well for me. :)

I'm getting the impression that several of the tactics suggested here are based on exploiting the speed bug to construct things faster. I was able to finish this mission with the exploit (built guard towers next to the sewers), but as near as I can tell, there's no way you could do that at normal speed; even if you have the peasants concentrate on one building at a time, guard towers are so slow to build that you're unlikely to get even one up before the rats swarm in and kill the peasants. The best I could do at normal speed was two rangers' guilds, but six rangers weren't enough to kill the rats quickly enough to prevent them from killing my workers and destroying buildings before they were ready.

Although I got through this mission, I feel a little unhappy about having to resort to what practically amounts to a cheat. Since I assume that the speed bug will be fixed in a patch sooner or later, this tactic probably won't work in the long term, anyway. Is there another tactic that I just couldn't think of, or do we just have to hope that this mission will be tweaked in a patch to give the player a little more time to prepare?

I didn't know about the speed trick before I beat this mission, so I did it at normal speed.

I did it by building a Wizard's Guild first, then placing down wizard's towers to cover the sewer grates. Since they don't need peasants to build, they were actually completing, and I was able to scrape together enough gold to keep them running.

Once the constant rats etc. were kept at bay, I was able to start building guilds to recruit heroes, and go from there. It was a little slower going than typical, but it worked for me.

I didn't know about the speed trick before I beat this mission, so I did it at normal speed.

I did it by building a Wizard's Guild first, then placing down wizard's towers to cover the sewer grates. Since they don't need peasants to build, they were actually completing, and I was able to scrape together enough gold to keep them running.

Once the constant rats etc. were kept at bay, I was able to start building guilds to recruit heroes, and go from there. It was a little slower going than typical, but it worked for me.

Nice trick!

lol the wizard tower is nice one !!

For me, I just do it in normal speed. Start with two ranger guilds next to the castle the guard will cover you then market+bs and towers when I got some ranger for cover. And then you can do whatever you want now