• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
*bump*
Post #1265 is not modified yet.

I have a new question: in this post we have three events. First one will fire until 1494 but are others intended to fire before 1494 too? Same question for the third one before 1621.

amended post 1265

yes and yes, so as states become more militarily organised ( over time) the event will have less of a chance to fire ( as there will be only one event able to)

This is debatable and we already debated many times. I agree +1 is the average stab. Nevertheless, this is matter of plausability at the limits and balance but not challenge. Why things should go worse or better when already maxed out? This is not a waste but rather a "no-effect". Can people be "happier" than happy (same for the reverse)?
About the balance, having more "good" effects at +3 stab or "bad" effects at -3 stab can be considered as unfair, especially at -3.

Conclusion is always the same: better have an event with no effect rather than a "bad" event at +3 or -3 stab. Sometimes, nothing happens or things can't be worse, respectively...

Well, that's just how I've felt since back in the days when I only played vanilla. I think the most accurate solution would be to have scaling stability costs - it should cost much, much more to bring country from +2 to +3 stability, than it costs to bring it from -1 to 0.

o idea for saint and the exact meaning in English (and what can be acceptable even when people are living) and difference with Holy person. We also use Buddha, Guru and Cleric.
The description of the event is :
Some people were so devout in their religion that they set out to help the poor and heal the sick. They were often called saints for their acts and were sometimes even believed to perform miracles.

I've just checked in the dictionary and one of the definitions is "one eminent for piety and virtue", so I guess the event is accurate. I still think 'holy person' would be more accurate, but 'saint' is shorter and more familiar maybe. Better leave it as saint then.

Well, that's just how I've felt since back in the days when I only played vanilla. I think the most accurate solution would be to have scaling stability costs - it should cost much, much more to bring country from +2 to +3 stability, than it costs to bring it from -1 to 0.
Good idea but impossible because hardcoded. Only way to modify effects of stab is in tax_stab.csv but valuers are not related to costs for stability and this file must remain in EU2 folder and can't be replaced by another version in a moddir (bug...).

I've just checked in the dictionary and one of the definitions is "one eminent for piety and virtue", so I guess the event is accurate. I still think 'holy person' would be more accurate, but 'saint' is shorter and more familiar maybe. Better leave it as saint then.
Let's keep saint then.

Another question... shouldn't these random events be for European countries only (continent = europe but condition could be tied to any Christian religion instead)?

I initially thought about only for europe, but I thought it would not matter as they would only fire rarely.

I also thought of Europe and asia and not for africa and the americas

Great idea..........a few examples will benefit me in understanding it better

I dislike random events that give stab , by more than 1 for positive or more than 1 for negative results........but "you play the game" until .........

latest beta tests on new events...........dooh.....none fire after 150 years.

oh well, I still see random firing for humans as it was years ago
1420, 1422, 1424, 1426, 1428, 1429
1431, 1433, 1435, 1437, 1438

every 2 years , 4 times , then 1 the next year.

I could never figure out if we could ever use this trend for some types of events

I initially thought about only for europe, but I thought it would not matter as they would only fire rarely.

I also thought of Europe and asia and not for africa and the americas
And final decision is..? :)

latest beta tests on new events...........dooh.....none fire after 150 years.

oh well, I still see random firing for humans as it was years ago
1420, 1422, 1424, 1426, 1428, 1429
1431, 1433, 1435, 1437, 1438

every 2 years , 4 times , then 1 the next year.

I could never figure out if we could ever use this trend for some types of events
Strange. I'm almost sure first random event fires in 1421 and one random event every 12 months or so after that. If the game is saved and reloaded, next random event will wait for around 12 months.

Great idea..........a few examples will benefit me in understanding it better

I dislike random events that give stab , by more than 1 for positive or more than 1 for negative results........but "you play the game" until .........

It's quite simple. Going from -3 to -2 might cost 100d, from -2 to -1 150d, from -1 to 0 200d, from 0 to +1 250d, from +1 to +2 400d, and from +2 to +3 600d.

It would make sense historically, I think. Often you read about rulers who inherited a country in total chaos, yet were able to bring stability quickly. In game terms that's like going from -2 to +1. Beyond +1 the cost of improving stability should be very expensive. I think that going from +1 to +2, or +2 to +3 implies not only short-term stabilizing of the country, but also long-term stabilizers, such as, for example, building a place of worship or restructuring country administration or the judicial system. Also, the higher the stability cost, the lesser the relative importance of monarch's rating, FAAs, etc. So while an able monarch would be able to stabilize the country quickly, it would take a decade to build a lasting peace, which also improves tax income, increases merchant's compete chance, etc.

i have never seen a state have 80 plus nations , so is these random events a waste and can we change them to ( see yellow font)

#
# Category Comment
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# 90 countrysize 1 Minors
# 91 countrysize 4 Big minors
# 92 countrysize 9 Majors
# 93 countrysize 30 Big majors/colonial powers
# 94 countrysize 80 Superpowers
# 95 countrysize 200 Continent-spanning empires
# 96 general Non-staggered events

#
# Category Comment
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# 90 countrysize 1 Minors
# 91 countrysize 4 Big minors
# 92 countrysize 9 Majors
# 93 countrysize 30 Big majors/colonial powers
# 94 countrysize 50 Superpowers
# 95 countrysize 80 Continent-spanning empires
# 96 general Non-staggered events

This means all events in this files needs amending

what about this.............there would be a few similar

event = {
id = xxxxx
trigger = {
NOT = { owned = { province = 1614 data = -1 } } #not for the Pope (MUS)
domestic = { type = quality value = 4 }
countrysize = 3
atwar = no
}
random = yes
name = "EVENTNAME_xxxxx" #Untrained troops
desc = "EVENTHIST_xxxxx"
#-#blah blah blah........text to follow

action_a = {
name = "ACTIONNAME_xxxxxA" #we are at peace, no need to train
command = { type = domestic which = quality value = -1 }
command = { type = stability value = -1 }
command = { type = trigger which = 91000061 }
}
}

event = {
id = 91000061 #Paradox 1064
trigger = {
atwar = no
}
random = no
name = "EVENTNAME_RANDOM061" #Foreign Drill Instructor Available
desc = "EVENTHIST_RANDOM061"
#-#Maurice of Orange pioneered new drills for firearms that made the new weapons much more effective. This drill technique was not a secret and numerous military entrepreneurs read on the drill and placed their service at the disposal of the crowned heads of Europe.

action_a = {
name = "ACTIONNAME_RANDOM061A" #Decline the Offer
command = { type = vp value = -1 }
}
action_b = {
name = "ACTIONNAME_RANDOM061B" #Hire him
command = { type = treasury value = -250 }
command = { type = domestic which = offensive value = 1 }
command = { type = domestic which = quality value = 1 }
command = { type = INF which = -1 value = 1000 }
}
}

something along this ...............an initial loss of quality, then the second event forces you to recover the quality by hiring a trainer or not bother
I was wrong. It is possible to trigger a random event from another random event. At least, if the number of random events is sufficient... Otherwise, it could end in a CTD when clicking on an action button of the triggering event.

I think this is why we always forbid this use. For information, triggering a normal event this way is a very bad idea and makes no sense.

It is a matter of map size... Anyway, i think 80 and 200 were disigned for players only.
AI Spain and Russia are likely to reach 80 provinces also, and Spain has a shot at 200 if the human is, say, Asian.

I was wrong. It is possible to trigger a random event from another random event. At least, if the number of random events is sufficient... Otherwise, it could end in a CTD when clicking on an action button of the triggering event.

I think this is why we always forbid this use. For information, triggering a normal event this way is a very bad idea and makes no sense.

what do you mean..........if the number of random events is sufficient.. ???

what do you mean..........if the number of random events is sufficient.. ???
From experience, a pool of 40-50 possible (i.e. trigger is true) random events is required for a country, maybe less.
This is why I added a set of dummy events for owner of province 1614 (Pope as MUS tag) when adding "not owning 1614" in many random events.
And this is why we have "commercial" random events when random events option is set to OFF.

From experience, a pool of 40-50 possible (i.e. trigger is true) random events is required for a country, maybe less.
This is why I added a set of dummy events for owner of province 1614 (Pope as MUS tag) when adding "not owning 1614" in many random events.
And this is why we have "commercial" random events when random events option is set to OFF.

I am still confused, how do you get a CTD if we change the ID number for the foreign drill instructor ?