• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A good army composition means nearly nothing without considering other factors as terrain, tech, dug-in bonus, possible reinforcements on both sides, leaders and LUCK.

In the beginning of my games I usually recruit cavalry/dragoons to form stacks of 18.000 men - look at supply limits here. Later these armies get artillery pieces in pairs and I begin to switch guards in for the cav/drag. So 6brigades guards or cavs and 2/4/6 art.

And don't expect to win in even battles because a few bad dice rolls could ruin everything (luck factor). Run away from battles you can't win and attack the enemy with a numeric advantage.

Check your general. Many a battle has been lost by using a -3 attack or def general. On the other hand, if you have good attack general go after stacks in plains and farmland, and with a good def general abuse bait tactics in forests, hills and mountains.

But what´s the ideal amount of cavalry? for example, is there a huge difference if I put 6000 or 12000 cavalry? I presume that if the armies have the same size then cavalry can´t use their maneuver to flank a brigade, thus rendering them very vulnerable as well.

If you're using Steam, F12 is your screenshot button, and you'll have to change it under Steam -> Settings -> In-Game to preserve the F12 for Victoria's map.
I've not registered this on steam; I bought a hard copy.

But what´s the ideal amount of cavalry? for example, is there a huge difference if I put 6000 or 12000 cavalry? I presume that if the armies have the same size then cavalry can´t use their maneuver to flank a brigade, thus rendering them very vulnerable as well.

Just use a number what your supply allows, really. I use cavs only because there is no reason not to as they aren't that much weaker than inf. but have better recon values and the exception are dragoon with are really infantry on horses.

I didn't notice any difference between armies with different numbers of cavalry with the exception of the occupying speed (more=faster).

Check your general. Many a battle has been lost by using a -3 attack or def general. On the other hand, if you have good attack general go after stacks in plains and farmland, and with a good def general abuse bait tactics in forests, hills and mountains.

I've never used, personally, more than two cavalry units in an army. I do, however, make a couple all-cavalry corps, particularly with Hussars, to help with occupation until I get airplanes.

EDIT: It would appear the above poster and I have different philosophies :)

I've never used, personally, more than two cavalry units in an army. I do, however, make a couple all-cavalry corps, particularly with Hussars, to help with occupation until I get airplanes.

EDIT: It would appear the above poster and I have different philosophies :)

Different philosophies concerning various things are a major part of Victoria 2 :)

question-

if one of my troops has the red soldier man icon next to it, am I right to disband it? I assume it won't be able to reinforce for a while, thus is fairly useless to me?

or have I been wasting troops by doing this :huh:

question-

if one of my troops has the red soldier man icon next to it, am I right to disband it? I assume it won't be able to reinforce for a while, thus is fairly useless to me?

or have I been wasting troops by doing this :huh:

No, the brigade will still fight - it just won't regain soldiers nearly as quickly. It makes most sense to have it fight, and if it goes to zero soldiers, it will disband itself.

I'm trying to build the first armor now, but I am lacking many items including rubber. To get rubber I must import it, but I cannot for some reason. I set my trade to get a stockpile of it so capitalists may use it for factories, but I can't buy any. In fact, it won't let me import luxury clothing for my guards either. Whats the deal, why can't I import anything? I am not sphered, and I am 6th in the world with prestige.

I'm trying to build the first armor now, but I am lacking many items including rubber. To get rubber I must import it, but I cannot for some reason. I set my trade to get a stockpile of it so capitalists may use it for factories, but I can't buy any. In fact, it won't let me import luxury clothing for my guards either. Whats the deal, why can't I import anything? I am not sphered, and I am 6th in the world with prestige.

You aren't prestigious enough. The other GPs will buy a lot of materials especially the UK, USA, Russia and France since they have high populations. Your only chance is to sphere nations which produce much of it, conquer states where the resources/goods are produced or to produce it yourself.

Here is a question.

I'm playing as China, I know UK is going to attack me so I amass a HUGE army on the only place they can come in and make it a choke point. My problem is that, regardless of military spending, the fact that I can support twice as many troops, and that I am in my own territory, I loose about 90% of my men to attrition before the war even begins.

How can I deal with this, because at the moment it seems like I should just give up and give england everything they want and I dont want to have to do that.

British invasion of China is not a foregone conclusion. Sometimes they will just try to sphere you.

Anyway, don't ever exceed supply limits of a province in peace time. (click an army and mouseover a province to reveal its supply limit) There's no need to - as you said, you lose most of your men without any fighting.

The best solution, if the UK is going to come over in colossal numbers, is to let them siege the mountainous provinces, which have very low supply limits. This means that many British soldiers will die from attrition, then you can pick stacks to kill on the plains. There's no honour lost in retreating, because the British, though it may seem so, do not have infinite soldiers. And the more they pile on to one province, the more they lose, especially a province with a low supply limit.

That being said, beating Britain as anyone is nigh-impossible. Especially when uncivilised.

Here is a question.

I'm playing as China, I know UK is going to attack me so I amass a HUGE army on the only place they can come in and make it a choke point. My problem is that, regardless of military spending, the fact that I can support twice as many troops, and that I am in my own territory, I loose about 90% of my men to attrition before the war even begins.

How can I deal with this, because at the moment it seems like I should just give up and give england everything they want and I dont want to have to do that.

don't forget to use all your diplomatic points sucking upto russia trying to get an alliance or sphered by them

there is also no shame in hiding behind the bear until it's time for the dragon to awake. (and when it does...)

I suppose but what do I do in this situation though, all my troops are dead, somehow, despite the fact that people in the past (see Persia in the BRONZE AGE) have had exponentially more troops then this in a province that could support less. Unless I send HUGE stacks of troops the british armies no matter how small instantly defeat my forces no matter what I send unless its just complete overpower and I know how the AI is, its allied with all other GPs it will just keep attacking me till it has all the land it wants

I suppose but what do I do in this situation though, all my troops are dead, somehow, despite the fact that people in the past (see Persia in the BRONZE AGE) have had exponentially more troops then this in a province that could support less. Unless I send HUGE stacks of troops the british armies no matter how small instantly defeat my forces no matter what I send unless its just complete overpower and I know how the AI is, its allied with all other GPs it will just keep attacking me till it has all the land it wants

the smarter idea would have just been to give them the land, then get relations back above 40. (and give you 5 years of peace)

the long term being at war will just destroy your army and your treasury, losing land isn't a big deal as china. you have more population in single provinces than most countries have in several regions.

the UK will eventually stop, it can't afford to waste all it's infamy points, so try prevent it from getting free casus belli's on you.

civilize then make them PAY

the smarter idea would have just been to give them the land, then get relations back above 40. (and give you 5 years of peace)

the long term being at war will just destroy your army and your treasury, losing land isn't a big deal as china. you have more population in single provinces than most countries have in several regions.

the UK will eventually stop, it can't afford to waste all it's infamy points, so try prevent it from getting free casus belli's on you.

civilize then make them PAY

I did exactly that. After the truce was over they had sphered me.

After a little while someone removed me from their sphere and lo and behold, now they have declared war on me AGAIN for all of Mongolia...

This actually brings me to a question.

I have a bigger fleet then all of England's pacific fleet and beat their Pacific fleet. I am blockading ALL of India and England's ports in the Pacific.

I have lost about 3 battles, and won about 10 battles yet... in the war score my blockaids give 0.0% and my wins give me about 0.1% yet england wins a battle and they get +6% instantly on their war score.

I have NO IDEA how this is justified but at this rare I will never be able to get peace.

C3BA6F1AD9EC504E5F82BD3D0BD88B9968729AD4

Also on that note, how do I POSSIBLY loose this naval battle? The ships are both Man'o'Wars but their light ships are Commerce Raiders and mine are Frigates.

667E3EBCB3E84991CBDFBCAE093980E6D2A36DDF

Last edited:
With regard to the battle warscores: remember they are directly proportional to the number of soldiers in them.

As for the ships: they are clearly in bad condition. They need to be repaired. It's best to send them in to a battle with full condition (100%) while I can see that you have 25% and 1% in there. Ships with that sort of condition are almost totally useless.

Because I brought my entire fleet in to save part of it that was taking a beating, went from 10/0 to 49/19 and it still took the same beating. They were all above 90% and only damage they had was taken from the water actually getting there and holding their blockaid.

Also, why the blockaids and 0%