• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks. How hard is Austria actually to play as? The longest I've ever played on a game has been about 60 years (until lost computer), and that was with France. Would you recommend it for me?

EDIT: Also how hard would it be to Westernise with Hungary?

Thanks. How hard is Austria actually to play as? The longest I've ever played on a game has been about 60 years (until lost computer), and that was with France. Would you recommend it for me?

EDIT: Also how hard would it be to Westernise with Hungary?

Austria is a real fun nation to play as, especially if you start out with the "North Italian Ambitions" mission. Take the land, drop your BB, get voted into the Emperorship and go from there.

MMStingray-- Yes, if they are Patriots of a culture you accept, and the province either has no core or no core to an existing nation which accepts that culture. (It's complicated, here's an example: Province A has Russian culture, you are Russia. Patriots will defect the province to you if they succeed in holding it long enough. If, however, Smolensk exists, which also has Russian culture, and has a core on Province A (which you don't), then the patriots would defect it to Smolensk.)

Wasila-- Portugal is an excellent country to start off with, just take things slow, watch your finances, and be VERY careful of Castille/Spain, keep good relations with them and don't get involved in wars against them. Go the historical route and colonize/conquer the uncivilized world, this takes a long time to turn a profit, but eventually you will be very wealthy and influential, and can eventually defend yourself against any European who meddles with you (even Castille/Spain)

MMStingray-- Yes, if they are Patriots of a culture you accept, and the province either has no core or no core to an existing nation which accepts that culture. (It's complicated, here's an example: Province A has Russian culture, you are Russia. Patriots will defect the province to you if they succeed in holding it long enough. If, however, Smolensk exists, which also has Russian culture, and has a core on Province A (which you don't), then the patriots would defect it to Smolensk.)

1 Question on this. What if you and another country has a core on the province, which one would it defect to? Or is there a way to control which one it would defect to?

I'm not 100% sure but I believe Personal Unions are caused by having a high comparative prestige, and the other monarch dying with no heir (with whom you have a royal marriage). If two monarchs have a royal marriage with an heirless monarch, it could go to the one with higher prestige, or better relations, or to a random noble. Oftentimes a noble of the same dynasty as the Royal Marriage takes the throne but a Personal Union does not result.

When you hover the tooltip over your own Monarch's name, it first shows what will happen when (s)he dies. e.g. Pretender rises up. Regency for Erik IV.
Then follows a list of nations which have the same dynasty (same last name, not necessarily a Personal Union but if it's the same first name then it is a personal union. This will also be indicated otherwise, it will say, "Leads a personal union with Country X"
Then follows a list of what happens when the monarchs with whom that monarch has a Royal Marriage dies. So if you are Austria and you have a royal marriage with Hungary it could look like this:

Ferdinand IV
On Monarch Death:
Regency for Ferdinand V

Hungary: Personal union with Austria (or, A Hungarian noble takes the throne. or, Laszla VI takes the throne, etc.)

1 Question on this. What if you and another country has a core on the province, which one would it defect to? Or is there a way to control which one it would defect to?

If you AND another nation have a core on the province, and both nations accept the culture as a primary culture, I believe it goes to whomever funded the rebels. I'm not sure if this works if it's only an accepted culture (i.e. We are Russians, but we accept Tartars-- unsure if Tartar province would go to a Tartar or you if you both have cores)

If you AND another nation have a core on the province, and both nations accept the culture as a primary culture, I believe it goes to whomever funded the rebels. I'm not sure if this works if it's only an accepted culture (i.e. We are Russians, but we accept Tartars-- unsure if Tartar province would go to a Tartar or you if you both have cores)

In HTTT I tried this once as france, and Avignon got the province when I funded the patriots. I was hoping you might have an explanation. O well. I also saw 2 other times in the same game with other vassals who were in my france that they did defect to me instead of one of my other french vassals.

That could be it then-- Avignon has primary culture as Occitain (right?) so perhaps that trumps the French culture of Cosmipolitaine (but also accepting Occitain)

What's the best way for Poland to deal with the Golden Horde? I've tried several times and I've never been able to not lose a few Lithuanian territories (which I'd rather not do, since I plan on inheriting them). The horde war also makes it apparently impossible to stop Smolensk and sometimes Polotsk from revolting. I've had some really long wars as Poland against the Golden Horde where they occasionally gain a few provinces (since they get them automatically after a certain amount of occupation) but I've never been able to sue for a favorable peace (including conceding defeat). Is there a good way to do that?

By conceding defeat, do you mean you concede? If not, then try to concede, as they will usually accept this within the first few months of the war if you have a small lead or its at status quo. Other than that, try to subsidize Muscowy to make they stay divided (increasing peace chance).

By conceding defeat, do you mean you concede? If not, then try to concede, as they will usually accept this within the first few months of the war if you have a small lead or its at status quo. Other than that, try to subsidize Muscowy to make they stay divided (increasing peace chance).

Yeah,I try to concede. I've even tried offering tribute and releasing Moldavia but it says they wouldn't accept it. In my most recent attempt the horde got a truce with everyone except me (and Lithuania and Moldavia) and Georgia in 3 or 4 months. I'll try subsidizing Muscovy this time. It'll make it more difficult to fabricate claims on Hungary, but survival comes first.

Yeah,I try to concede. I've even tried offering tribute and releasing Moldavia but it says they wouldn't accept it. In my most recent attempt the horde got a truce with everyone except me (and Lithuania and Moldavia) and Georgia in 3 or 4 months. I'll try subsidizing Muscovy this time. It'll make it more difficult to fabricate claims on Hungary, but survival comes first.

The Horde are a behemoth at first and you do need to be willing to give some ground. Them blowing into Lithuania is probably your only option. Don't worry about the inheritance, you only get cores on inheritance on provinces of your culture group. That means you only get cores on about 3 Lithuanian provinces. As such it doesn't really matter if you inherit them or you take them off of the Horde later. If you are looking at a good target for a PU try Hungary, you will get cores on all of their provinces...

The best way to get a horde off your back fast is to rush a province of theirs, assault it quickly, then when you have a slight advantage offer to concede defeat. 70% of the time they willl accept. You have to fight them every 5 years so it is rarely worth putting any effort in if you can peace out for 5 presteige. Then when you are secure in the west and the south go to town big time on the GH, occupy all their provinces and colonise as many of them as possible.

Hoping to get a breakdown on the Claim Throne diplo option.

What factors contribute to successfully claiming a throne? Are there penalties if you fail to succeed? Can anybody recommend a sequence of actions or events that will lead to a successful claim? Also, this will destroy your other Royal Marriages? Not sure I understand the logic behind that.

Thanks.

Hoping to get a breakdown on the Claim Throne diplo option.

What factors contribute to successfully claiming a throne? Are there penalties if you fail to succeed? Can anybody recommend a sequence of actions or events that will lead to a successful claim? Also, this will destroy your other Royal Marriages? Not sure I understand the logic behind that.

Thanks.

It wont destroy your RMs, it will give you a relation penalty with everyone with whom you have a RM. Do this enough, and they will start breaking alliances, I tried it out and got that on a second claim the throne.

Furthermore, it is mostly due to luck that you will actually get a PU. If you claim a throne and you want to be sure to get the PU, DoW immediatly. Otherwise the chance is 50-50 that it wont work. If your regent dies before the claimed throne ruler: big chance of annulment of the treaty. I think if the claimed throne ruler gets a heir with high legitimacy this will be annuled as well. So hoping that a claim will actually come through automatically is (imo) a long shot and not worth the relationship hits.

I'll apologize in advance if this is addressed elsewhere. I have a few questions on EU 3 and wasn't having too much luck with the online help quide I down loaded from here. In other words my system seems to choke on the guide and I have problems using it *Sigh* Anyway, here are my questions and I appreciate anyone who can offer any insight.

1) The game seems to run fine once I get it loaded, but the loading process itself takes somewhere around half an hour. Whats up with that? Is there any fix out for that?

2) I noticed in the guide mention of setting your National Focus. How exactly do you do that? I couldn't find where to go to accomplish this.

3) Likewise with looking at my ruler and seeing if he has an heir and what that heirs skills will be. It's probably somewhere real obvious but I couldnt find it.

All that said I really do like this game. I'm just not computer proficient enough to really be getting the most out of it yet. So far I've started a couple of test games to see how things work but with the slow load time I've gotten frustrated with it. By time the silly thing loads I'm half out of the mood to play it. At least with the earlier versions I could get it set up and be ready to go in just a couple of minutes. Now I have to plan ahead to have enough time to deal with it.

1. Ive no idea what holding up your loading time. This is something that you can ask in the technical forum.

2. Your national focus is the second crown on your capital whenever you start a game. You can change this to any other province by clicking on the little crown in the province display. Its right next to the name if I remember correctly.

3. If you click on the shield and then on the second tab, you can see your king and if he has a legal heir.

Although it is written for HTTT, it still have some valuable info about these kind of questions. Its a guide I made with the help of others to help new comers like you. See my link in my sig :).