• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
just a short question on releasing brabant. i currently own the province "brabant", but i cant release them as vassals. i couldnt force their liberation when negotiating peace either. with the former owner that is.
is it because of me or the negotiating party not having all provinces on which brabant has a core on?

or is it a religious problem? i didnt convert them to catholicism yet...

edit: and another one: do i get the imperial liberation casus belli only if i can potentially liberate a HRE member, giving me the +10 IA bonus?

much appreciated!

Last edited:
The AI does things in its own self-interest. Your war aims and their may not necessarily mesh. They may indeed be polar opposites. How many times have you been dragged into a war you don't care about only to WP out of it? This is essentially the AI doing the same thing, just for what ever reason they have Leadership at the time and screwed your pooch.

There's a large difference with the AI pulling me into wars I'm not interested in (they would certainly have a reason to want more help) and them declaring war because I'm ready to attack. It's not historically plausible at all. And the sole purpose of the act would be to take advantage of me, which they shouldn't want to do because historically and in-game (at least with me) actions like that cause serious reprisals.

The only thing they get out of it is a slightly weakened enemy too far away for them to really care about, and maybe 5 prestige. Are they really programmed to take advantage of the player for that little?

I'm not sure how the AI is programed to take advantage of you, you'll have to take that up with Chris Hansen.

Regardless, its honestly not that good. The closest I've seen the AI colluding to destroy me is white peacing w/ each other when I think I can take some table scraps from the big boys. But I'm fairly certain the AI is programed to take the player more 'seriously.' But dragging you into stupid wars then end a day later is par for course even if it does ruin your previous plans.

Other then that I think your paranoia might be getting the better of you.

Though that doesn't mean I'm not watching you.

Sometimes some country comes up asking me to open markets for them.
What does it mean?
I'm pretty sure I've never closed them.

Its a country that has "discovered you", and so in order to trade in your markets, they need to have you open them. Much the same as if you were playing,s ay, Holland, and you discover Malaacaa. You have to negotiate to open that CoT so you can trade with them.

Buy EUIII chronicles?

My question; what do we need for the colonial conquest CB? I know you need and overseas prov, QFTNW NI but do you need anything else?

Two nations on same continent must both have QFTNW NI, must have adjacent "overseas" provinces.

It really should be changed to having "nearby" provinces, so you can get CB's on the Caribbean islands.

just a short question on releasing brabant. i currently own the province "brabant", but i cant release them as vassals. i couldnt force their liberation when negotiating peace either. with the former owner that is.
is it because of me or the negotiating party not having all provinces on which brabant has a core on?

or is it a religious problem? i didnt convert them to catholicism yet...

edit: and another one: do i get the imperial liberation casus belli only if i can potentially liberate a HRE member, giving me the +10 IA bonus?

much appreciated!

This is one of the more popular questions - even I asked it a few months ago. You can't create (or release) Brabant because the culture of Brabant has changed from what it was originally. Now some here have said that the culture of the capital must not have changed but you can create countries without controlling the capital - so I'm not sure about the specifics in this case - but I know for sure that the culture of _some_ province has changed and is preventing the creation of the nation.

The nation can still be created (at least in 3.2) by Rebel Nationalists.

P.S. I'm willing to bet that it's the culture of the new _would-be_ capital that must match the original culture of the original capital.

Well, I'm playing as the Iroquois and everyone who has QFTNW has the colonial conquest CB on me, regardless of the fact that I don't have QFTNW and they DO NOT have any adjacent provs!

Though I did ask so I could figure out how to get more CBs on them! Any suggestions? Other than hope fo border disputes?

What are the requirements to send a delegate to the pope? I know you need to be catholic and have a missionary, but it seems to be available/unavailable based on something other than that...

I don't understand what "Spread of land provinces" and "Spread of sea provinces" in the options menu at the game setup is about. I thought it affected cores, but it doesn't seem to. What is the effect of those settings?

I don't understand what "Spread of land provinces" and "Spread of sea provinces" in the options menu at the game setup is about. I thought it affected cores, but it doesn't seem to. What is the effect of those settings?

It changes the speed at which unexplored provinces/seas spread to you. Default is 50 years, so 50 years after so and so explores the Carribean sea you'll see it as well.

It changes the speed at which unexplored provinces/seas spread to you. Default is 50 years, so 50 years after so and so explores the Carribean sea you'll see it as well.

Note that spread of discoveries is limited to tech group. So, for example if Castille discovers Rio, Ming wont discover it 50 years later unless they westernise.

This is one of the more popular questions - even I asked it a few months ago. You can't create (or release) Brabant because the culture of Brabant has changed from what it was originally. Now some here have said that the culture of the capital must not have changed but you can create countries without controlling the capital - so I'm not sure about the specifics in this case - but I know for sure that the culture of _some_ province has changed and is preventing the creation of the nation.

The nation can still be created (at least in 3.2) by Rebel Nationalists.

P.S. I'm willing to bet that it's the culture of the new _would-be_ capital that must match the original culture of the original capital.

thx man. ill try to investigate, i have 2 potentially realeasable countries so its kind of important for me now. thx again