• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks Keinwyn, so aggression is basically how likely wars are to happen and difficulty is just for battles. There is not alot on google but I found a post that implies that the difficulty gives you bonus morale on easier settings and take it away from you in harder settings. With that in mind the default settings are probably the fairest settings and the best ones to use?

Lower aggresion can make your game harder as it leads to more stable AI countries. On higher aggresion they will backstab the player more, making things more challenging but they will also backstab each other more which can tend to lead to the AI having massive WE, RR and lots of revolts, making the player's life a lot easier. On lower aggresion the AI will blob more slowly but be more able to blob succesfully. If you play a ROTW game, say as Japan or Vijayanagar, where you are not likely to run into Europe till 1600 or so Low Agression will lead to there being several big European countries that can put up a fight.

Normal Normal is a fine combination. Or Low Agres, Hard Dif if you want a more challenging game. Or Low/Very High Agres, Very Hard Dif if you want a very challenging one.

How can I check my current game's difficulty level - I looked in the save file but couldn't find anything.

If you didn't change anything, it's set to normal.

However, you can open your save game and look near the top where there's a long line of 0s, 1s, 2s, and 3s. If there's all 0s, I think it's all set to the default settings?

Thanks Keinwyn, so aggression is basically how likely wars are to happen and difficulty is just for battles. There is not alot on google but I found a post that implies that the difficulty gives you bonus morale on easier settings and take it away from you in harder settings. With that in mind the default settings are probably the fairest settings and the best ones to use?

Quite. Nothing is changed in the behavior AI by changing the difficulty level. When you go down in setting, you get benefits. When you go up, the AI cheats.

Also, the game is balanced by Paradox using the default settings IIRC.

Is there a quick and easy way to determine where other nation's manufactories are located?

If you're still unsure. Open the province in question. Hover over the production value, and it should say a manufactury +6/12 if the province has one. If there is no mention, there is no manufactury.

Thanks for the clarification, I will keep it on normal.

Do overseas invasions normally take ages to go or is my game glitched?

Basically Portugal called me to arms over a war against Morocco. I have economy issues and saw they have a gold province so decided to come in and take 2 provinces for myself. I took my fleet and a 13,000 man army down to the algarve to wait for the Portuguese invasion and go with them but they have been 9 months and done nothing.

They have their fleet in the sea off their coast and troops have been going into the transports bit by bit for 6 months and their transports must be filled when I counted how many have gone in and how many they have yet they are just not going anywhere. What are they waiting for?

Edit: They seem to be moving 6 transport ships out from lisboa out into the sea, moving 3000 troops from the land into the ships and then docking the fleet again (pointless!), they are doing this on rinse repeat. I am thinking it is glitched and I should white peace it with Morocco.

Last edited:
What is Portugal doing? I couldn't say. Think of it as if he has an army in one province, then starts to move to a neighboring province, then stops, then starts again... The AI can see *far* too many sea zones ahead for my liking. Either it sees something it doesn't like, its waiting to go with the tides, or its favorite boat isn't back from the cleaners. It does not matter. [Don't be surprised when you see Castille doing that too.]

Never, ever put yourself in a position where you have to rely on an AI ally to do something to save you. They just won't do what you want them to. They won't even move to contribute to a battle where their participation would turn the tide - until its too late for them to be helpful. I use allies to get me *into* wars, not out of them.

I strongly recommend that you carve out however much of Morocco as you can manage, with whatever troops you have - and any others that you can gather (consider mercs if your economy can survive it). Then take the best peace deal that you can get. Don't hesitate to do this, because Portugal would be more than happy to take a peace deal that doesn't leave you anything. A 100% WS will only get you 3-5 provinces if I remember right. When is Portugal coming? If I'm playing, I hope they never show up.

Much later Edit: I considered asking if Morocco was a junior partner, but chose to stay brief. Since junior partners can't make separate peace deals, you have to try the Ottomans for peace deals. Don't wait until you have what you want, either, use the Sue for Peace -> Demand Tribute application early on to see what Otto is willing to give you (this is just to make sure you can get something - do not click send!) The purpose for this is to see if Otto will give you anything at all. Since you aren't invading Otto, your WS versus Morocco matters less to them.

Last edited:
Your advice was more than accurate Karlmonster. I am furious with Portugal. I just spent alot of time, all my manpower, lost loads of men through attrition and took 70% of morocco itself whilst Portugal took nothing (spain took the rest in a seperate war). I wanted to peace out but I couldn't but because it was up to the Ottomans. So we moved into Algiers with a massive numerical advantage and we were just about to destroy their last army leaving us a clean sweep through northern Africa.

So despite having all of Morocco under foreign control and a clean sweep up to at least a 50% war score Portugal decides to make peace which annuls all treaties and no land change. Completely wasting my time. This is my second alliance with them, they annoyed me previously by breaking the alliance over an Irish OPM.

Your advice was more than accurate Karlmonster. I am furious with Portugal. I just spent alot of time, all my manpower, lost loads of men through attrition and took 70% of morocco itself whilst Portugal took nothing (spain took the rest in a seperate war). I wanted to peace out but I couldn't but because it was up to the Ottomans. So we moved into Algiers with a massive numerical advantage and we were just about to destroy their last army leaving us a clean sweep through northern Africa.

So despite having all of Morocco under foreign control and a clean sweep up to at least a 50% war score Portugal decides to make peace which annuls all treaties and no land change. Completely wasting my time. This is my second alliance with them, they annoyed me previously by breaking the alliance over an Irish OPM.

Just bite the bullet and force a PU on them at the first oportunity :)

In HttT, I know that ships in dock still "patrol" the water province they're docked in. Also, supposedly more ships in dock will "patrol" larger areas of water provinces. Does anyone know how "# of ships" maps to "# of patrolled provinces?" Also, is the number of provinces a total or a radius (i.e. if docked ships patrol three water provinces, is that "three random provinces connected to the docked ships" or "all water provinces within three moves of the ships")?

EDIT: @OrangeYoshi, who answers all questions, I checked the link in your sig, and there seem to be some as-yet-unknown factors that affect the number of patrolled water provinces. Was that ever fully documented?

What does the difference between warscore and a peace offering have to be before it causes a stability hit? I'm playing HTTT. Thanks in advance for a reply.

I'm a bit surprised that in my last campaign I couldn't even get Castille to concede defeat, even though I had a 40% warscore.

In HttT, I know that ships in dock still "patrol" the water province they're docked in. Also, supposedly more ships in dock will "patrol" larger areas of water provinces. Does anyone know how "# of ships" maps to "# of patrolled provinces?" Also, is the number of provinces a total or a radius (i.e. if docked ships patrol three water provinces, is that "three random provinces connected to the docked ships" or "all water provinces within three moves of the ships")?

EDIT: @OrangeYoshi, who answers all questions, I checked the link in your sig, and there seem to be some as-yet-unknown factors that affect the number of patrolled water provinces. Was that ever fully documented?

I believe it goes something like this:

1 ship: patrols a short distance
2 ships: a little farther
5/6 ships: a little farther
9 ships: a little farther

Each naval tech extends this range.

I always found either one or two ship fleets to be best for patrolling. I usually just sit one ship fleets outside of home provinces and cover an area like the Gulf of Mexico/Caribbean/Venezuala with about 4 one ship fleets and make the ships patrol a couple sea provinces if I need a bit more distance to cover it all.

In EU3 Complete, I'm Russia and one of my new provinces is in the HRE - it is not my core. It seems that there are two things I have to look out for:

1. The Emperor can "take" the province from Russia once Reichsreform is active. Is this an Emperor Decision? What level does this become available at?

2. Russia can remove the province from the Empire? How is this done?

In EU3 Complete: How can you tell if a Province is Tropical before you conquer it? Does there have to be a certain percentage of Jungle? I'm mainly thinking of India.

In EU3 Complete, I'm Russia and one of my new provinces is in the HRE - it is not my core. It seems that there are two things I have to look out for:

1. The Emperor can "take" the province from Russia once Reichsreform is active. Is this an Emperor Decision? What level does this become available at?

No. That is only in HTTT and DW, and the AI rarely gets that far.

2. Russia can remove the province from the Empire? How is this done?

"Remove province from the Empire" is a provincial decision. Check the provincial decision screen in that province to see the requirements.

In EU3 Complete: How can you tell if a Province is Tropical before you conquer it? Does there have to be a certain percentage of Jungle? I'm mainly thinking of India.

Check the tax income breakdown. It should say "tropical penalty" as long as the nation's capital isn't also in a tropical province.

Two simple questions:

1) Could Europa Universalis III: Divine Wind run on an ATI Radeon Mobility 4330? Resolution is 1366x768, I don't expect fast gameplay, but would it be able to manage 15FPS? If not, could it handle EU3:HttT?
2) Is there any way to see the total world wide production and national production of a good (in units)?