• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is my save game corrupted beyodn recovery?

I'm playign as the hansa it's the 1450's and i'm colonising north america... how I hear you ask? well it seems it takes my colonists only 1 day to get there and ALL discovered provenices are 0 away from my nearest core...

Something is wrong!

Also when I hover my mouse on any sea provenice, a huge list of navies appear in the tool tip! Any ideas? should I restart :(

Is my save game corrupted beyodn recovery?

I'm playign as the hansa it's the 1450's and i'm colonising north america... how I hear you ask? well it seems it takes my colonists only 1 day to get there and ALL discovered provenices are 0 away from my nearest core...

Something is wrong!

Also when I hover my mouse on any sea provenice, a huge list of navies appear in the tool tip! Any ideas? should I restart :(

Open your game's program folder. Open the "map" folder. Delete the "cache" folder. Start your game twice.

You've fixed it!

thanks all!

Another question; what exactly is needed to fire the border dispute event? I can't find it on paradoxian or in the event files!

I know I need very high dip skill, and bring in the hre is handy, but do i need poor relations with my neighbours to get it?

Don't have your ruler as a leader of an army. Theres a chance for him to die in battles and seiges. Other then that its a normal occurance you have little sway over.

That said there are tricks to getting around it. You can place garuntees or expand your SoI or form alliances on/wait countries you think your target is likely to attack(or likely to attack and invite w/ alliances). You can also warn the country in question. Besically you have to be pulled in rather then start it yourself. It can be tricky but its doable.
Well I used my king as a general in the first war, would leaving him unassigned increase his risk of dying later as well?
I actually managed to gather 20 SoIs in the first 15 years (gogo 40 prestige per SoI expansion) but neither SoI tresspassing or attacks on the HRE allowed me to declare war.
Only when an ally called for help could I get some action, since the Declare War button was Greyed out!

EU3 Complete: With the Golden Hoard and another Asian nation why am I able to take the capitol province OR take their remaining provinces? Seems like in most cases you cannot take the Capitol unless that's the nation's last province.

EU3 Complete: With the Golden Hoard and another Asian nation why am I able to take the capitol province OR take their remaining provinces? Seems like in most cases you cannot take the Capitol unless that's the nation's last province.

The capital has to have no land or sea connection to their remaining provinces for you to take it.

thanks all!

Another question; what exactly is needed to fire the border dispute event? I can't find it on paradoxian or in the event files!

I know I need very high dip skill, and bring in the hre is handy, but do i need poor relations with my neighbours to get it?

No, relations are irrelevant. Any time you have a border with a nation, you have a chance to get that event.

I'm playing a switzerland game. Game speed was perfectly fine, until the 1690's. Calling it a night, I saved the game. The next day however the performence of the game was horrible. After every day, the entire game locks up for about 1/3rd of a second, graphics and everything. Like the month end calculations daily. Is there a known fix for this? Is it even a known bug?

Edit: it only seems to be effecting my switzerland save game. Other older saves are fine, new games are also fine.

How big is the save? There's a known bug with 5.0 like this, check out Tech Support forum.

Just beginning a game of EUIII (with every add-ons thrown in it right from the start).
I've already played (a long time ago) EU2, and the game is very complex, so I'm afraid I'm a bit lost in here. I've two things that are puzzling me for now :

- Is there a way to display core province on the map ? For now, the only way I've found to see the "core" expectation is clicking the province one by one and looking at the panel, but I've not seen any "on-map" display.
- How exactly does Japan works ? I've understood that it has some special rules, but I'm a bit puzzled. I tried starting as the Emperor, but there is no vassal link between me and the rest of Japan, and I seem unable to conduct diplomacy with it. Is is even intended to be able to play the Emperor, or is only the Shogunate playable ?

Thanks in advance !

Go into the diplomacy map mode (scroll icon). click on your country (or any other country) to see controled provinces, cores, allies, vassals, royal marriages etc.

As for Japan, they have a shogunate system where the shogun get some sort of control over external affairs, i think. There's a button for it in the bottom right similar to the buttons for the HRE and Papacy (if you've played a european nation you'll know about those at least). If you somehow manage to conquer the entire islands while being shogun, you can unify japan, i think. i've not really played around with it and i'm going off what i've seen other people say here.

I am starting a new game after playing a whole game on all normal settings. I have a few questions before I change difficulty in my new game.

1) What has a larger effect on overall difficulty, AI difficulty or AI aggressiveness?
2) I read that it is not advised to use historical leaders, it that the same for historical advisors?
3) How much will putting lucky nations on "random" change the game?
4) I noticed I accidentally had the sea province setting on 25 years in my last game, what did that mean?

I am starting a new game after playing a whole game on all normal settings. I have a few questions before I change difficulty in my new game.

1) What has a larger effect on overall difficulty, AI difficulty or AI aggressiveness?
2) I read that it is not advised to use historical leaders, it that the same for historical advisors?
3) How much will putting lucky nations on "random" change the game?
4) I noticed I accidentally had the sea province setting on 25 years in my last game, what did that mean?

1) I don't find AI difficulty makes the game more difficult except in battles. Aggressiveness doesn't make it more difficult exactly, unless you are playing a nation with a lot of unfriendly, larger neighbours.
2) It may lead to a shortage of advisers.
3) Potentially Quite a lot. It increases the chance of a French collapse, the Ottomans really need it to have a chance and it probably won't make a differance to anyone else who doesn't get it; Portugal will still colonise, Castille will still eat N Africa, England will still form GB then be forced to release its constituents in peace deals, Muscovy will still be eaten by someone, and Austria will still be outdone by either Burgundy or Bohemia. It could lead to some interesting powers comming from nowhere if you are lucky.
4) It means that after 25 years of someone in tech group A discovering province X the rest of tech group A will discover province X.

Thanks Keinwyn, so aggression is basically how likely wars are to happen and difficulty is just for battles. There is not alot on google but I found a post that implies that the difficulty gives you bonus morale on easier settings and take it away from you in harder settings. With that in mind the default settings are probably the fairest settings and the best ones to use?