• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How to expand peacefully as a HRE OPM or near?

When you claim the throne of a presumptive conquest, you are dissuaded by big powers guaranteeing their independence or allied with them, and low legitimacy small countries have always royal marriages with powerful countries.

Truly peacefull can only be trough diplo-annexing or colonization, barring a very very very lucky inheritance.

Warlike, Its a question of waiting for the right time and then committing fully. Make use of allies and wait for a chance. This can come soon or late.

Example: Taking on Burgundy would be suicide. But Burgundy gets into its inevatible war with France at some point. Usually they have the emperor and allies as backup and win. However if the emperor is out for some reason joining in could tip the balance. Take some provinces and release Bar and you have divided Burgundy in 2 making a small threat out of a big threat and making gains. If you have France as ally and managed to take Antwerp you have effictivly gutted the burgs. unlawfukll or not.

If you are playing a rich OPM you can also choose to expand in turkey against the non ottomans. If the Ottoturks attack you, you have the emperore as back up. Either you can win or you don't commit and wait for the emperor to be somewhere in asia minor/greece before you start a war in the HRE.

While you are waiting for a chance, build up cash. Its boring but it works. As Norway I had a forcelimit of 9. the swedes had an army of 22k. Taking out 5 loans I was able to hire enough mercs to outnumber them and win the war with my 6 shock general (get an advisor for army tradition while you wait for your chance). But my inflation ran up into the 23%'s. Was losing 37 gold a year with in income of about 18 a year Took untill the 1700's to get back to 0 inflation. A healthy heap of gold helps here :p

Use of Spies. I want to use a spy to fabricate claims on Scotland. But it says province owner is missing. What does that mean. And how come when I click on other provinces it won't even give me the option to fab claims?
Country-targeted missions can only be done on the capital province (not necessarily the case in mods).
Can you post a screenshot of what you are seeing? Are you running any mods? What checksum do you have on the main menu?

Country-targeted missions can only be done on the capital province (not necessarily the case in mods).
Can you post a screenshot of what you are seeing? Are you running any mods? What checksum do you have on the main menu?

HOw do I check my checksum?
And do my troops start to starve when exceeding the limit in a province that i own? Or does that only happen in enemy territory while sieging?
And 1 last question:
I am playing Castille and got full annex on the Granada, Cadiz, and Almeria. Now Cadiz had a 9% chance revolt risk and I sent in a missionary in to Granada and I made Granada my focus. DoI need to make the one with the high revolt risk my focus or can it be anyone and it will still drop the revolt chance of the neighboring province?

Last edited:
And do my troops start to starve when exceeding the limit in a province that i own? Or does that only happen in enemy territory while sieging?
And 1 last question:
I am playing Castille and got full annex on the Granada, Cadiz, and Almeria. Now Cadiz had a 9% chance revolt risk and I sent in a missionary in to Granada and I made Granada my focus. DoI need to make the one with the high revolt risk my focus or can it be anyone and it will still drop the revolt chance of the neighboring province?

1. Don't know never needed to check it.

2. Yes

3. I wouldn't focus on anything just because of revolt risk (national focus also give income bonuses etc)

As I mentioned, it's on the main menu. i.e. after you start the game but before you go to the scenario selection screen it -- it's in the lower-left corner.
Yes, your own provinces just have higher limits.

Two question regarding Pagans:

1. I'm after 1650 in my Steppe Wolf game now so Holy wars are gone! I thought I'd had the "war on primitives" as Casus Belli but nothing happens? I need some NI or is this a bug? How to take that land, now?
2. Some day I liked to play as Vikings but Vikings has the Nordic Pagan religion and I thought to have "Holy War" on all the Christian Europe, let's think what a fantastic thing to "colonize" France or Great Britain... sadly I had no Holy wars... I see in cb_types.txt this code:

Code:
# Holy War
cb_crusade = {
	mutual = yes

badboy_factor = 0.25

prestige_factor = 1.25

peace_cost_factor = 1.0

nomad = no

prerequisites = {		

OR = {

religion_group = christian

religion_group = muslim

}

NOT = { religion_group = THIS }

OR = {

government = imperial_government

defender_of_faith = yes

neighbour = THIS

AND = {

THIS = { is_crusade_target = yes }

religion = catholic

}

idea = deus_vult # Actually "Unam Sanctam"

idea = divine_supremacy

}

NOT = { year = 1650 }

}

allowed_provinces = {

always = yes

}

po_demand_provinces = yes

po_annex = yes

country_desc = ALL_INFIDELS

prov_desc = ALL_PROVS

war_name = CRUSADE_WAR_NAME
}

If I interpret this correctly I need to be Christian or Muslim OR to be an Empire defender_of_faith and to have deus_vult or divine_supremacy (or I need to have this together?)...

As I want NOT to become Christian (a Christian Viking is a Norwegian not a Viking anymore), this not seem really easy to do if I need to become an Empire first... if I've taken 350 cities I've already annexed all Europe :confused:

Maybe I could add a new nation: the North Sea Empire and giving me the Imperial Government for free... but Denmark and England would like to be annexed by Vikings? Or I add the northern pagans as pre-requisites and I resolve...

What do you think?

Two question regarding Pagans:

1. I'm after 1650 in my Steppe Wolf game now so Holy wars are gone! I thought I'd had the "war on primitives" as Casus Belli but nothing happens? I need some NI or is this a bug? How to take that land, now?
2. Some day I liked to play as Vikings but Vikings has the Nordic Pagan religion and I thought to have "Holy War" on all the Christian Europe, let's think what a fantastic thing to "colonize" France or Great Britain... sadly I had no Holy wars... I see in cb_types.txt this code:
(...)

If I interpret this correctly I need to be Christian or Muslim OR to be an Empire defender_of_faith and to have deus_vult or divine_supremacy (or I need to have this together?)...

As I want NOT to become Christian (a Christian Viking is a Norwegian not a Viking anymore), this not seem really easy to do if I need to become an Empire first... if I've taken 350 cities I've already annexed all Europe :confused:

Maybe I could add a new nation: the North Sea Empire and giving me the Imperial Government for free... but Denmark and England would like to be annexed by Vikings? Or I add the northern pagans as pre-requisites and I resolve...

What do you think?
I don't know about Steppe Wolf but in vanilla the "War on Primitives" Cassus Beli is (imho wrongfully, if Pagans rise in Europe or Christians exile their capitol to America etc.) called "Colonial Conquest".

About the holy war Code:
It means 4 thinks all have to be true:
1. You are Muslim or Christian
2. Your Religious Group and that of the target are different
4. The year is not 1650 or later

3. One of the following is true:
3a: Your government is imperial government (???)
3b: You are your religion's defender of faith
3c: You are a neighbor of your target
3d: You are catholic AND there is a crusade called against your target
3e: You have picked the Unam Sanctum National Idea
3f: You have picked the Divine Supremancy National Idea (Nice, I didn't know about that one)

Sorry, if you want to be a Viking pagan you need to find other Cassus Belis then Holy War. Editing one in sounds like a fun idea, btw. "Viking raid" or something, 20% cost for monetary reparations, or something. :D

So in the end I cannot annex anymore that American native nations for now: I've to wait the game give me some core on them or to take the "Imperialism Casus Belli" and worst no Holy War for Vikings...

Yes I could add another one could be an interesting idea but I'm not interested on moneys I liked the idea to annex them w/o bad boy and with the very low infamy Holy War permits... admittedly Holy War for Pagans is very unhistorical... Pagans were a lot more tolerant of heateans that Christians and Muslims...

By the way I could add Holy war to only Vikings and not to all the Pagans (or better limit to their culture "Norman" if I recall correctly) or could I create a Casus Belli specific for them?

I am very new to this, did this earlier this day for the first time (I added a restriction to the colonial conquest cassus beli that you have to have your capitols on different continents :))
For the Holy war, sure:
Code:
	(...)
	prerequisites = {		
		OR = {
			religion_group = christian
			religion_group = muslim
			[I]AND = {
				religion_group = pagan
				OR = {
					culture_group = scandinavian
					culture = saxon
					culture = normand
				}
			}[/I]
		}
		NOT = { religion_group = THIS }
	(...)
Just add in there and combination of culture, culture group, religion or religion group you would like. :)

Hi! Can I play as Djingis and his mongol horde in Devine Wind?

I'm playing as Japan in MPM7.5. I had the great idea to play a colonization game this time around, but I'm having immense troubles reaching North America due to my ships dying. Is it even feasible to reach? Or should i focus my attention on Oceania first and then try to make the jump later?

I am very new to this, did this earlier this day for the first time (I added a restriction to the colonial conquest cassus beli that you have to have your capitols on different continents :))

Thanks I'd try this tonight... if you could survive (not easy in the game I was playing anyone hated them!) I could try to write my first AAR!

I'm playing as Japan in MPM7.5. I had the great idea to play a colonization game this time around, but I'm having immense troubles reaching North America due to my ships dying. Is it even feasible to reach? Or should i focus my attention on Oceania first and then try to make the jump later?

The best route to use for exploring the Americas going from Asia is to run all the way up the coast of Kamchatka to the top of the map, cross due east to Alaska, then run down the west coast of NA then return by the same route. This limits your attrition taking as all the coastal provinces inflict less damage (none if within naval range). Trying to head straight across the Pacific is asking for trouble.

The best route to use for exploring the Americas going from Asia is to run all the way up the coast of Kamchatka to the top of the map, cross due east to Alaska, then run down the west coast of NA then return by the same route. This limits your attrition taking as all the coastal provinces inflict less damage (none if within naval range). Trying to head straight across the Pacific is asking for trouble.

Thanks I shall give this a go, I already own Sakhalin and the Kurils, I was just hoping on keeping my Asian bit of the empire an island but thats no biggie. I was trying to reach Hawaii, but I lose my ships not even a third of the way in, is that island supposed to be reached from Middle-America?