• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
"Conquest" CB question: I have a mission to "Secure Southern Italy". I took two provinces in one war and now I can annex the last three provinces, including the capital Napoli, which is the only one remaining for the mission. The CB states 25% infamy for full annexation or just Napoli, but each province costs 3. It was the expected 1 infamy per province before this. Glitch?
Well, it seems as though you are currently on the defensive side of a war. Most likely, they attacked one of your allies, and you were called in. Since they were using their own casus belli, you can't use yours to take provinces off of them for one infamy. You can usually only use your casus belli when you are the attacking party.

Another question.

What are the main factors of morale? I just had a 35-regiment army get routed by a 26-regiment army. Both had commanders. However, I think I'm at Land Tech 8 and the other army was at Land Tech 10 or 11. How big of a factor is that?

This is a stupid question: where do you go to change your government type? I've done it once, but I seem to have forgotten what screen it is on.
You just click on the image of your country's flag on the top left of the screen. Then, click on the smaller images the show up along the top of the new "table". On one of them (I think it might be the one with the different idea), there should be your government type on the top. You can click on it and change to any possible government. Though you may not be able to switch at this current time.
Another question.

What are the main factors of morale? I just had a 35-regiment army get routed by a 26-regiment army. Both had commanders. However, I think I'm at Land Tech 8 and the other army was at Land Tech 10 or 11. How big of a factor is that?
To answer your question, if they were at land tech 11, they can use Galloglaigh Infantry, which are quite strong. Here are some other factors

I'm assuming you are playing a latin tech country, so here are a few things to keep in mind:
1. Keep your troops fully funded in a war. If they aren't being payed, they will have horrible morale, and will be almost certainly slaughtered.
2. When looking at the technology screen, keep in mind when you can get your next upgrade in troop types. Modern armies fight much more efficiently than their previous versions.
3. Having a good general may sometimes mean the difference between a defeat and a victory. Having the best general (at the stage you are in, you want a general with high shock skills) is a great boost to your armies.
4. You may want to consider taking some national ideas for the army. When a new idea becomes available (This idea is always my first choice), you may want to choose the "Military Drill" idea, granting you a +1 boost to your morale, which proves very useful indeed. It may also be in your interest (Once you get the required land tech of 7) to take National Conscripts, giving you a plus 50% manpower bonus. This will help you get more reinforcements to you armies.
5. When planning to fight a battle, take a look at the terrain. It is not a very good idea to attack an army of equal size in the Swiss Alps, or in another mountainous region. However, if you attack on some plains, the penalty for attacking will be much smaller. Just flip that around when defending.

I can't think of any more factors right now. I'm sure there are some I'm not thinking of, but whatever.

Hope this helps!

"Conquest" CB question: I have a mission to "Secure Southern Italy". I took two provinces in one war and now I can annex the last three provinces, including the capital Napoli, which is the only one remaining for the mission. The CB states 25% infamy for full annexation or just Napoli, but each province costs 3. It was the expected 1 infamy per province before this. Glitch?

The CB does work only for the last province , making it cost 1 , and the two others are unchanged at 4 each.

The prices themselves are affected by supply and demand, the existence of certain buildings in all the provinces around the world, being at war or not and so on. Look here:
http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Goods#Price_Determination_.28DW.29

The produced amount of any good multiplied with its price is contributing to the value of the CoT the province trades through. If you have merchants there you will participate from high prices...

Sooo.. a province with 2 grain with a price of 6 will have a tradeworth of 12? Have I got things right?
Higher price= more money, lower supply= more money, higher demand= more money. Correct?

This is a stupid question: where do you go to change your government type? I've done it once, but I seem to have forgotten what screen it is on.

it's one of the government tabs, it tells you you are a feudal monarchy, maybe the ideas tab. Then if the govt form that you want isn't available, then you either lack tech, or you must simply switch into something else in between on the path of your wanted govt form. There's a good diagram about govt form availability on paradoxian.org/eu3wiki I'm quite certain that even if some of the effects are outdated, the general idea should be the same.

For some reason I do not have the holy war casus belli or crusade casus belli on muslims and i am christian :/
You only get the "holy war" casus belli against heathens you border, or who have had a crusade called against them. If you want to have the holy war casus belli on all of them, you need to take the "Divine Supremacy" national idea.

I'm pretty sure you get holy war on people who aren't on your borders as an empire, too.
Are you sure? I've never known that to make any difference. Also, once you get to the year 1650, there are no more holy wars.

You just click on the image of your country's flag on the top left of the screen. Then, click on the smaller images the show up along the top of the new "table". On one of them (I think it might be the one with the different idea), there should be your government type on the top. You can click on it and change to any possible government. Though you may not be able to switch at this current time.

To answer your question, if they were at land tech 11, they can use Galloglaigh Infantry, which are quite strong. Here are some other factors

I'm assuming you are playing a latin tech country, so here are a few things to keep in mind:
1. Keep your troops fully funded in a war. If they aren't being payed, they will have horrible morale, and will be almost certainly slaughtered.
2. When looking at the technology screen, keep in mind when you can get your next upgrade in troop types. Modern armies fight much more efficiently than their previous versions.
3. Having a good general may sometimes mean the difference between a defeat and a victory. Having the best general (at the stage you are in, you want a general with high shock skills) is a great boost to your armies.
4. You may want to consider taking some national ideas for the army. When a new idea becomes available (This idea is always my first choice), you may want to choose the "Military Drill" idea, granting you a +1 boost to your morale, which proves very useful indeed. It may also be in your interest (Once you get the required land tech of 7) to take National Conscripts, giving you a plus 50% manpower bonus. This will help you get more reinforcements to you armies.
5. When planning to fight a battle, take a look at the terrain. It is not a very good idea to attack an army of equal size in the Swiss Alps, or in another mountainous region. However, if you attack on some plains, the penalty for attacking will be much smaller. Just flip that around when defending.

I can't think of any more factors right now. I'm sure there are some I'm not thinking of, but whatever.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the help! I did have a general with 3 shock and I know that terrain can be a negative for the attacker, so I waited in a mountainous region and Austria attacked me there. My land units were fully funded, too. It might have come down to them just having a lot more advanced tech.

Are you sure? I've never known that to make any difference. Also, once you get to the year 1650, there are no more holy wars.
Holy War requirements:
wiki said:
Before 1650, Christian or Muslim, target is of different religious group and one of these must be true: Be an Empire, Defender of the Faith, border target, be Catholic and target has Crusade called against it, Unam Sanctum NI, Divine Supremacy NI.

How does one go about dismantling the shogunate in Japan? I have arrived in the islands, but all of the Daimyos are Empires, so I get the feeling that China already broke Japan before me.

The way to see if the shogunate is disbanded is to see if you can interact with the diamyos. If you can, it is disbanded.

INSULTS

How do these work. Obviously, as the one using the mechanics, you are pretty much inviting others to declare war on you, with a casus belli.
Which, obviously, means you will get the war you desire without having started it, therefore without having all of the nasty stability hits etc.
I assume they can also be used to get out of a personal union or vassalization, seeing as how Sweden insult spams denmark at the start of every game.

Now, what I need to know is, how and when do countries decide that enough is enough, and will attack you?
They probably won't attack if such an action would in all likelihood be 'suicidal' right? As in Utrecht, with 3 army regiments, attacking Holland with 9
This has been my main injunction against using insults so far. But would it be useful to get wars with Friesland and utrecht for holland?
Also, does it help if I have a diplomat advisor to lend me more diplomacy skill?

It seems to be a bunch of quick questions, but I'd like to know nevertheless.