• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be completely accurate Paradox owned this since Friday (though they likely had more information about the state of the game than they were letting on). Kerberos didn't start owning it until mid Saturday. I realize they were tired, but there was a crucial period there where the game had come out, people had seen it was crap, and they fed out a fake story about it being a "months old pre-beta" build. In retrospect it was clearly only a days or maybe even hours old build only. That bought them 10 more hours of sales while people awaited the "real" build. It was only another several hours after that that Kerberos started to come clean.

True. I don't remember Friday night since I was blinded first by rage, then by potato alcohol.

Well it was nice from Mecron to take a blame, and while I won't forget the situation, I do believe they will learn from it. Moreover I won't forget how good support was for Sots.

So I am kind of angry(it could be dealt in much more straightforward fashion) but I do believe in Kerberos/Paradox so its time to relax a bit and check back in a few weeks.

Don't confuse Kerberos' hope that their core community would carry them for honest screw-ups. Their community is strong, from what I've seen, and they got blinded by that. If this had been Ford, GE or any other company dealing in tangible goods, this would have been grounds for indictments for fraud. That it's a game means the companies involved get a pass in the eyes of the law.

Well it's a game and not a car, i don't want to sound smug, but it didn't cost me an arm and a leg to get it. I did enjoy Sots 1 and if say everyone will get on a high horse and kill Kerberos, there won't be good strategy game of this kind in near future. So it basically comes down to faith, do you believe they will make it right? I do.

Another question will I forget - probably won't, so I'll wait with buying say Sots 3, but for now I am just prepared to wait till the game is ready.

Last edited:
If this had been Ford, GE or any other company dealing in tangible goods, this would have been grounds for indictments for fraud. That it's a game means the companies involved get a pass in the eyes of the law.

If a company like Ford would be in that situation, the government would just use the tax money from the citizens for the bailout and the citizens would still be without a car. :laugh:

+1

My friend and I only started playing Sots 1 around 6 days ago when we found it on steam for sale $5 and absolutely both of us work part time and barely have money to pay for other stuff and yet we scraped around, went over our budget and both bought this game on release day.

Now when we first saw the state it was in it was a little awkward but at the same time everything looked friggin awesome for the stuff that did work, then we encountered crashing,missing tool-tips, bugs and checked the forums to find why, for 3 days we checked in day in day out seeing whats going on and not once did we think "I cant believe they ******* did this I want my money back!" despite spending more money then we could spend for the month we felt this was still a good investment.

Instead of wailing about this game we decided to play the other multiplayer games we have including Sots 1 while we wait for this great game to be fixed.
altho would like some free DLC stuff :D

This game will be great and the way we see it, we're gonna buy it anyways now or later so not really any harm done by this, there's barely any games out there with this style of play and it'll suck if it dies off as a Genre.

TLDR

Loved First game
Bought Second with money we shouldn't have
No regrets
Long term good investment

Sorry but this missive from Mecron doesnt get to the point, it evades the real issue by pretending to not-avoid-blame.

The issue is that our money was taken under false pretences (which is criminal and unecessary but that is another matter) the point is we dont know if it worked and whether KP will be around long enough to finish the job.

This apology is not telling the truth about the calculation which lead to the shonky release (the intended candidate is just as shonky as the mistaken release candidate) and consequently looks like it is playing for time and covering a can of worms and an attempt to persuade people against going for the refund but no more than that. The real question is whether this is a bail out plan in action and the devs having got enough money out of SotS1 and some kind of exit strategy involving Paradox are not really as interested in SotS2 as they pretend or whether they are fighting for their livelihoods and determined to keep KP going whatever the sacrifices they have to make and can be counted on to see it through.

We have just been royally shafted and while many of us would like to help in any way we can if it will do any good, we dont want to waste our time and effort on a studio gone bad.

More Munchausens from Mecron doesnt really answer that question does it?

Last edited:
Whilst theres a lot of good things in Mecrons post he does seems to be deflecting blame onto the buggy code that was released by mistake. Also he inferrs that some magical build used to exist with full functionality thats somehow been lost. And finally there is no recognition that they released a game that was FAR from ready and gave no warnings to their customers.

I am tempted to go into full blown explanations..
oh what a suprise

First of all the bad news...Thanks to various factors we are now sitting on top of a pile of blown apart code and unstable features.
What exactly does this mean? What factors? We were assured many times that the latest version was indeed the release version. Seems you are passing the buck to some code gremlins.

There will be an update tomorrow which will set right much of the chaos created friday in terms of crashing and keeping you from playing that game.
i assume you mean the chaos created by the release version of the game

What it WON'T do is magically add back in every piece of functionality.
What do you mean "add back in" - surely it was never there in the first place

As you may be able to tell i'm still a little bit annoyed by how this whole sorry saga is playing out and feel the need to vent.

Having said all that i hope (and believe) they will eventually turn this game into something special. Even if i do get a refund i may well buy it again in the future and come back and annoy people all over again with a load of "Noob" questions :laugh:

As much as I hate to say it, this has the potential to kill the whole IP. These days games mostly live and die by the scores and if SotS2 gets reviewed in it's current state it will get tons of 2/10 and 3/10. Few of them will be enough to forever damn the game into the "mediocre crap" category on Gamerankings and Metacritic, which means only people who really follow the genre will ever consider buying it.

We have been tricked ? Yes
We have been fed an inexcusable bug collection ? Yes
We were offered a refund ? Yes
But now it's time to decide !
All that ranting, crying, shouting and raging won't change a thing.
Decide for yourself if you trust KPO and Pdox to sort that mess out or not.
I for myself decided to stay with the game.
Not for the excuses and apologies of KP and Pdox but cause of experience with SotS Prime and most of all for the
fanboys and girls. Those huge wave of support from the die hard community is what deserves any single cent of my money !
As one poster on the KP forum puts it, that money is an investment.
just my point of view
Welfur

Just wondering out of curiosity: it is said that all features/functions are going to be implemented. Is there a list of these features, missing/implemented features or like that so that the completion could be monitored and checked?

By the way, thanks for the drama. It was very entertaining.

Just wondering out of curiosity: it is said that all features/functions are going to be implemented. Is there a list of these features, missing/implemented features or like that so that the completion could be monitored and checked?

By the way, thanks for the drama. It was very entertaining.

Just my thoughts, I'd like to try this game a bit deeper but I won't if there's missing key elements like diplomacy? A list would be very valuable.

We have been tricked ? Yes
We have been fed an inexcusable bug collection ? Yes
We were offered a refund ? Yes
But now it's time to decide !
All that ranting, crying, shouting and raging won't change a thing.
Decide for yourself if you trust KPO and Pdox to sort that mess out or not.
I for myself decided to stay with the game.
Not for the excuses and apologies of KP and Pdox but cause of experience with SotS Prime and most of all for the
fanboys and girls. Those huge wave of support from the die hard community is what deserves any single cent of my money !
As one poster on the KP forum puts it, that money is an investment.
just my point of view
Welfur

I agree with ya, KPO has never done me any wrong, they supported SotS 1 through and through and for that I plan on sticking with them with SotS 2 as well. Besides, having played the game already, I feel that all it needs is a bit of a polishing up and then it'll be a great game.

I havn't said little about this being a preorderer but i am dissapointed.

I figured this is the kind of release ubi or Ea would do i hope you don't abandon the game like they would too.

I would ask for a refund but i am going to give you the benefit of the doubt. Next time i may not be so forgiving though.

Doctoxic & co, i know you hate Mecron,
but please. Get refund and stop your boring crusade comments everywhere in the forums.

We know they failed, ok. They are devil, ok, ok if you want. They want to rob all our money, yes, ok. Paradox need to be boycott, ok, ok.

But it surely will not make the thing progress. So unhappy people, please, once you get your refund please leave or get a big "they are devil" thread where you can all write you joy in it.

I think some people really want to play this game, now or in the future. I love sci-fi 4X games, there is not a lot, and one of the rare titles who attract me is in trouble.
So instead of debating all the day to know who is most devil Paradox or Mecron i will look how the things progress and make some useful suggestions/criticisms in order to make the game evolve into a playable and fully enjoyable state.

Like AngryJoe did on the Kerberos forums.

Some will surely dislike my post. But those forums (who i don't consider mature any more now), especially some harsh repetitive (sometimes insulting) useless comments really give me a headache.

sorry for my english.

but please. Get refund and stop your boring crusade comments everywhere in the forums.

We know they failed, ok. They are devil, ok, ok if you want. They want to rob all our money, yes, ok. Paradox need to be boycott, ok, ok.

But it surely will not make the thing progress. So unhappy people, please, once you get your refund please leave or get a big "they are devil" thread where you can all write you joy in it.

I think some people really want to play this game, now or in the future. I love sci-fi 4X games, there is not a lot, and one of the rare titles who attract me is in trouble.
So instead of debating all the day to know who is most devil Paradox or Mecron i will look how the things progress and make some useful suggestions/criticisms in order to make the game evolve into a playable and fully enjoyable state.

Some will surely dislike my post. But those forums (who i don't consider mature any more now), especially some harsh repetitive (sometimes insulting) useless comments really give me a headache.

sorry for my english.

agreed have your whine in 1 constructive post like i did above then shut up and post constructive suggestions on what needs more attention or get a refund and GTFO.

sorry for my english.

first things first, let people say what how they feel like, if you cant handle this so, you dont like criticism at all, if they dont complain and say whats on thier mind then thing never change, stop slowing and discuraging from pointing opinion on topic, if they are angry let them say what they feel like, after all they been tricked, it not necesary to shut them, i my self am angry on them, its natural, and they will calm down then things fade with next fix we all hope. cheers

sorry for my english.

you could argue that those of us who bitched about the game (and there were many) are the reason people are getting a free SOTS1 and extra features in SOTS2 as well as some extra effort and commitment in putting things right

from my point of view a lot of the devoted SOTS fans seem to put up with any old crap thrown at them - i was sold a defective product and it seems pretty clear they knew it was bad and still released it with no warning - and as i've said in another post when (if) i get a refund i'll shut up

as for mecron i don't look at the KP forums, i don't hate him at all - its just the game and launch were really bad and in my view his apology was still trying to shift the blame with no real acceptance that the underlying game was pretty bad - its others who have been expressing the mecron hate

i would also point out that i have not started any posts on this forum, just joined in with discussions others have started

i just have a different view to all the fanboys that are posting - and lets face it there has been lots of them posting too, particualrly the beta impressions posts (that were very misleading). My opinion is that a lot of people are too accepting of bad games and unless you kick up a bit of a stink nothing is ever going to change

the silly thing is that if they had released it as a beta i would probably still have bought it and all you would have heard from me would have been questions on how things work and hopefully suggestions for improvement

PS - Vyllis - your english is probably better than my english and i'm english

Not working right now, but I'll take your word it's the real deal.

It is, I read it on the Kerberos forum before it went down again.

To be completely accurate Paradox owned this since Friday (though they likely had more information about the state of the game than they were letting on). Kerberos didn't start owning it until mid Saturday. I realize they were tired, but there was a crucial period there where the game had come out, people had seen it was crap, and they fed out a fake story about it being a "months old pre-beta" build. In retrospect it was clearly only a days or maybe even hours old build only. That bought them 10 more hours of sales while people awaited the "real" build. It was only another several hours after that that Kerberos started to come clean.

No one official ever said it was an old beta, I even posted to say it was "recent". I'm not sure who first said it was an older version, I think someone read the date off of an old file somewhere and posted about it.

BTW if anyone hasn't played SotS1 I highly reccomend taking up the Kerberos offer to tide you over in the meantime, it really is a fun game.

Last edited:
It is, I read it on the Kerberos forum before it went down again.

No one official ever said it was an old beta, I even posted to say it was "recent". I'm not sure who first said it was an older version, I think someone read the date off of an old file somewhere and posted about it.

BTW if anyone hasn't played SotS1 I highly reccomend taking up the Kerberos offer to tide you over in the meantime, it really is a fun game.

is it given in steam ????

I only use steam convinent to have everythign in one place.

i may just ask however i won't die over not getting it for free, as unlike some i don't mind paying for a working game!

Status
Not open for further replies.