• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Jacobins know not high of the popular classes they supposedly represent. Their order is made up of the wealthy sons of merchants and university professors who know nothing of the land or the people who work it. If you ask the commoners who tend their fields with love, they would tell you they want their traditional rights protected from the bourgeoise and Jacobin wolves who wish to devour their lands to enrich themselves. They also desire the protection of the Church against the Masonic conspiracy that seeks to destroy it. The popular classes they profess to love actually seek protection and sustenance from their social betters.

-Conte Bonaretti

((Private-Privy Council))

I am still skeptical of these administrative reforms. My greatest fear is that they will diminish the rights of the nobility and place power in the hands of a Bonaparte lurking in the wings.

The Genoan Merchant​

The new Count, Corentin, a Celt from Brittany, somewhere in northwestern France, has, as his first official act, funded several soup kitchens and a couple of homeless shelters out of his own funds to assist the poor and homeless in easing their lives. Countess Anatasia, who has recently come of age, appears to be pleased and shocked at the same time. And the merchants and army and navy recruiters look foward enviously for an easy center to recruit from. Count Corentin has also been reported to have been housing the orphans as their their run-down orphanage is being rebuilt.​

((No in-game effects, just offering a reason for the increase of Soldier and Laborer pops that will happen in the Liguria region))

wL5ONi8.png

REPORT ON THE GENOESE SOUP KITCHENS
Private

The Marquess di Montezemolo, having received word of the foundation of soup kitchens in the city of Genoa, sent a peon to investigate these new eateries. Following an excursion to the coast, the servant returned with a report:

These establishments offered neither consommé nor vichyssoise, the broth was of inferior quality and there was not even a simple gazpacho on offer. Indeed, for a coastal city, one would have imagined that a decent bouillabaisse would have been prepared, but such hopes were quickly dashed.

The restaurants were frequented by poor and foul smelling patrons who were served some ladleful of potage without as much as having the opportunity to consult a menu. What was most peculiar, and indeed most distressing, was that soup was the only course, without the remainder of the meal to follow.

Following the Genoese degustation, the city’s soup kitchens cannot be recommended.

Jacobins know not high of the popular classes they supposedly represent. Their order is made up of the wealthy sons of merchants and university professors who know nothing of the land or the people who work it. If you ask the commoners who tend their fields with love, they would tell you they want their traditional rights protected from the bourgeoise and Jacobin wolves who wish to devour their lands to enrich themselves. They also desire the protection of the Church against the Masonic conspiracy that seeks to destroy it. The popular classes they profess to love actually seek protection and sustenance from their social betters.

-Conte Bonaretti

((Private-Privy Council))

I am still skeptical of these administrative reforms. My greatest fear is that they will diminish the rights of the nobility and place power in the hands of a Bonaparte lurking in the wings.
What the commoners fear is your ilk. You aristocrats prey on the land, tearing it up and spewing it back out mangled. The yeoman is imprisoned through rent pay, tariffs, and predatory landowners. Your so-called Masonic conspiracy is nothing but a half-baked theory dreamed up in your silly little head, so that you rationalize your entire world falling apart. Look! Jump at the shadows! It'll do you more good than what you're doing now.
-Giuseppe Mazzini

Antoni Bagnoli is hard at work on a pamphlet at his study when a fellow Revolutionary hands him a letter. The letter, set from an accomplice back in Italy, informs of the first cabinet of the new government. Bagonli laughs as he reads. He then constructs a letter of his own, which is sent to Italy by messenger.

Dear Members of Parliament,

I find it beyond the pale and downright loathsome the choices you have made. This Cabinet is full of Tradizionalistis, literally. Of the 9 members of the cabinet there is not one Independent, Sinistra, and Pretoriani among you. I thought that the people were supposed to be represented. Tradizionalisti received 70 of the 93 seats in Parliament ((Is it called Parliament?)), so they receive no more than 7 seats. Even then, a cabinet should not be one made of the leader's party only. You should choose the right people for the task, and although some are fit for their posts, others are completely imcompent compared to their non-Tradizionalisti brethren. I urge you to reconsider you choices, because as of right now this country is a single-party state.

- Antonio Bagnoli

An extremely annoyed Cavalieri gives his reply to Bagnoli

Dear lord, Senor Bagnoli do you understand at all how government works? The Government is not in fact an assemblage of all parties where cabinet seats are delegated equal to party seat %, but an institution where the ruling party or coalition divides it how it see fit. For it is the ruling party or coalitions responsibility to run the executive alongside the King were as the parliament creates laws. So it makes no obligation to divide the government based on parliamentary vote our side of the coalition or party and this is how every single decent parliamentary government operates in the entire world.

I would also like you to look up the term Single Party state as it clearly does not mean what you think it means, as a single party state implies that the entire country only has one other political party. Sardinia Piedmont very clearly has 3 political parties so it therefore cannot in any sense of the word be consider a one party state by any sane person.

- Riccardo Cavalieri

I gladly accept my post as Minister of Commerce.

((If I understand correctly this position is in reference to factory related items and stockpiling seeing as we are very poor and have no factories I suppose I'm doing nothing.))

An extremely annoyed Cavalieri gives his reply to Bagnoli

Dear lord, Senor Bagnoli do you understand at all how government works? The Government is not in fact an assemblage of all parties where cabinet seats are delegated equal to party seat %, but an institution where the ruling party or coalition divides it how it see fit. For it is the ruling party or coalitions responsibility to run the executive alongside the King were as the parliament creates laws. So it makes no obligation to divide the government based on parliamentary vote our side of the coalition or party and this is how every single decent parliamentary government operates in the entire world.

I would also like you to look up the term Single Party state as it clearly does not mean what you think it means, as a single party state implies that the entire country only has one other political party. Sardinia Piedmont very clearly has 3 political parties so it therefore cannot in any sense of the word be consider a one party state by any sane person.

- Riccardo Cavalieri

Ridiculous, if we were a one party state, then the liberal parties would be outlawed. The Liberal Parties are still active and have not been shutdown or forced underground by the government.

-Conte Federico of Cagliari

Fools! There is only one party that holds any power in the government while the other two are to trick people into thinking this is democracy. This is a single-party state which calls itself a "republic" as to attempt to hold onto power. This power should go to the people! I laugh at anyone who thinks that this is fair and righteous.

- Antonio Bagnoli

I am glad to see that His Majesty's Government is finally appointed. Sadly, it appears that the pace of reform has been set by the time it has taken to establish itself. No sooner has the ink settled on the ballots than we are told to moderate our expectation, that there is no need for change of any kind. Apparently, the mere imposition of His Majesty's Constitution - the sum of which, so far, has been to add an additional chamber to the control of the ruling party - was change enough for a lifetime. I cannot understate my dismay at this temerity, at a time when populist pressures are mounting and the nation cries out for action.

Gentlemen, we have heard much talk of Bonaparte recently. So let us consider: How did this diminutive Corsican artillery commander manage to seize the reins of France? Because the Government could no longer guarantee the public order nor reflect the public will. Conversely, how did Bonaparte succeed in clinging to despotism for so long, where even the butcher Robespierre failed? Because he sought to rule by the will of the nation. These are the reflections from the Revolution in France, and so we must heed them - not in order to emulate them, but to avoid their disastrous outcome. The House of Bourbon failed to learn these lessons; merely fifteen years after its hard-fought restoration, it found itself once again at the mercy of the mob. Conversely, His Majesty and the Royal House, having endured long exile in Sardigna while the French marauders savaged Piemonte, did not succumb to the folly of their French counterparts. Bravely and magnificently, His Majesty pre-empted the political winds rather than be carried away by them. By His Majesty's Constitution, this Kingdom may be placed on a path by which it shall conquer insurrection and suppress tyranny. But only if His Majesty's Ministers heed the wisdom of the Sovereign.

If we are to claim that this Kingdom is perfection manifest, and that Providence itself could not elevate it further, then we are to invite the horrors of 1789 and 1798 all over again. Having been overwhelmed, this Kingdom was only restored under the Royal House by the intervention of foreign powers. We cannot rely on such intervention in future; nor should we, as patriotic subjects, accept this Kingdom's subservience to fate and the European community. We must forge our own path in this world. We must energise our industry, bolster our commerce, seek new frontiers, new markets and new sources of trade. But foremost of all, we must strengthen the bonds between His Majesty's Government and the nation. And that means representation, and accountability. The free exchange of grievances between the Government and those it governs can only eradicate inefficiencies and educate the State. One need only look at Great Britain: only a century ago, she was the miserable mistress of half an island; now, she strides the globe, supreme and unchallenged.

Now is not the time for temerity. This constitutional order is not an experiment, nor a flight-of-fancy, but an established component of this Kingdom. It should be cultivated, and developed, not stymied at birth. The existence of parties is universally acknowledged, except in the law; let us amend it. The legal system is a pandemonium of overlapping statues and jurisdictions, to the detriment of justice and commerce; let us consolidate it. The law regulating the press is obscure and elastic; let us define it. The Navy is small and insufficient for the defence of the Kingdom and its interests abroad; let us expand it. These are but the many objectives that the Chamber must seek in this session.

Despite the animosity imagined to exist between us and the other parties, the Praetorians desire nothing more than the success and betterment of the Kingdom. We are happily prepared to reinforce His Majesty's Government in their labours. They need only extend a hand, and we shall offer ours.

Constantino Telemaco Parassani

Fools! There is only one party that holds any power in the government while the other two are to trick people into thinking this is democracy. This is a single-party state which calls itself a "republic" as to attempt to hold onto power. This power should go to the people! I laugh at anyone who thinks that this is fair and righteous.

- Antonio Bagnoli

In a retort to Bagnoli

Senor Bagnoli Sardinia Piedmont is not some corrupt republic, no Sardinia Piedmont is a strong an independent Monarchy. To insinuate that the people of Sardinia Piedmont would associate themselves with a republic, in its corrupt plutocracy that will always form or even worse in its lying and deceiving of the people into believing that their system of government reflects them or looks out for them. I can assure you with the deepness of my heart that a republic will only do harm to Sardinia Piedmont and that the day a terrible government system is force unto the people of Sardinia Piedmont that their collective shrieks of agony will make the deafest person fall down from the terrible sound.

- Riccardo Cavalieri

- Antonio Bagnoli

In truth the situation is even worse, it can be said that no party currently exists within Sardinia-Piedmont: for the two reformist parties are too insignificant and the electoral system is never going to allow them to hold any form of power whatsoever, while the Traditionalist movement is merely a façade that the Aristocracy uses to keep an illusion of Constitutionalism while the old order is still intact and unchanged.

We should understand that the Statuto failed to change anything. The nobles held supreme power in the past and hold supreme power now, the system is built in such a way that any attempt at reform is impossible and the entire "parliamentary" system is just one huge fraud built to legitimate the tyrannical rule of the Monarchy.

Down with the tyrants!

- Alessandro "Libertà" Zecchini

In truth the situation is even worse, it can be said that no party currently exists within Sardinia-Piedmont: for the two reformist parties are too insignificant and the electoral system is never going to allow them to hold any form of power whatsoever, while the Traditionalist movement is merely a façade that the Aristocracy uses to keep an illusion of Constitutionalism while the old order is still intact and unchanged.

We should understand that the Statuto failed to change anything. The nobles held supreme power in the past and hold supreme power now, the system is built in such a way that any attempt at reform is impossible and the entire "parliamentary" system is just one huge fraud built to legitimate the tyrannical rule of the Monarchy.

Down with the tyrants!

- Alessandro "Libertà" Zecchini

((Private - Privy Council))

Gentlemen, I suggest that we immediately apprehend this Jacobin lunatic. Let us send a clear message that those who slander His Majesty do not get away with it.

~ Antonio Maria Enrico di Susa, Marquess of Susa

To commemorate Sardinia's first constitutional government, some reactionary papers publish a pleasant ditty lampooning the King as a literal servant of the government:

Rising early in the morning,
We proceed to light the fire,
Then our Majesty adorning
In its workaday attire,
We embark without delay
On the duties of the day.

First, we polish off some batches
Of political despatches,
And foreign politicians circumvent;
Then, if business isn't heavy,
We may hold a Royal levee,
Or ratify some Acts of Parliament.
Then we probably review the household troops—
With the usual "Shalloo humps!" and "Shalloo hoops!"
Or receive with ceremonial and state
An interesting Eastern potentate.
After that we generally
Go and dress our private valet—
(It's a rather nervous duty—he's a touchy little man)—
Write some letters literary
For our private secretary—
He is shaky in his spelling, so we help him if we can.
Then, in view of cravings inner,
We go down and order dinner;
Then we polish the Regalia and the Coronation Plate—
Spend an hour in titivating
All our Gentlemen-in-Waiting;
Or we run on little errands for the Ministers of State.

Oh, philosophers may sing
Of the troubles of a King;
Yet the duties are delightful, and the privileges great;
But the privilege and pleasure
That we treasure beyond measure
Is to run on little errands for the Ministers of State.

CHORUS. Oh, philosophers may sing, etc.

After luncheon (making merry
On a bun and glass of sherry),
If we've nothing in particular to do,
We may make a Proclamation,
Or receive a deputation—
Then we possibly create a Peer or two.

Or we dress and toddle off in semi-state
To a festival, a function, or a fete.
Then we go and stand as sentry
At the Palace (private entry),
Marching hither, marching thither, up and down and to and
fro,
While the warrior on duty
Goes in search of beer and beauty
(And it generally happens that he hasn't far to go).
He relieves us, if he's able,
Just in time to lay the table,
Then we dine and serve the coffee, and at half-past twelve
or one,
With a pleasure that's emphatic,
We retire to our attic
With the gratifying feeling that our duty has been done!

Oh, philosophers may sing
Of the troubles of a King,
But of pleasures there are many and of worries there are
none;
And the culminating pleasure
That we treasure beyond measure
Is the gratifying feeling that our duty has been done!

[video=youtube;J7PH23XSH80]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7PH23XSH80[/video]​

The Prime Minister walks into the parliament and stands near the leader of the chamber of deputies

My good sirs!

Today I greet you as the first head of the Royal Government functioning within the new political system. Our sovereign, the King, has entrusted you with a great mission, to assist him to legislate. I sincerely hope that we would be able to create a functioning system of cooperation between the different branches of the governing instutions - and would be able to to do great service to our beloved country.

It is known to me that the legislature is going to look vote on a number of important bills. However, I want you today to analyze another question. It is known that it is very important for us to understand, what path do we want to pursue in our diplomacy, which country do we want to create ties with, in what direction should we go. While the government, on behalf of His Majesty, has sufficient powers to conclude treaties and decide on diplomatic affairs, I would like to find out the views within this body. I ask you to vote on whom would you like to see as the primary ally of Sardinia-Piedmont - the Empire of Austria, the Kingdom of Prussia, the United Kingdom, the Kingdom of France, or none of them.

I ask you to make the decision, taking into account not sentiments or biases, but interests of our country, understanding that it is the interest of Piedmont-Sardinia that we should defend most utmostly.

God save the King!

- Vincenzo Roberto Pes, Marquis di Villamarina, Prime Minister of Sardinia-Piedmont

Last edited:
I strongly advocate for an alliance between the Kingdom of Prussia and Sardinia-Piedmont. Prussia is a martial nation, inhabited by a people who value discipline, honor, duty, and strength. As a soldier, I believe them to be the best possible ally for my beloved country, especially if we wish to increase our military capabilities in the coming years.

- Brigadier Marco Vitali

As it is obvious that the people of Sardinia-Piedmont have no real voice in government, I shall agitate for their rights.

-Frederico Mopurgo

An alliance with a kingdom? This will only strengthen the hold of the king on the populace, thereby furthering the aristocratic dominance in Sardinia-Piedmont. We must ally ourselves with only republics! Republics are the only truly pure nations on God's green earth. Kingdoms are wretched centers of sin and vice, for a single man rules. Just like Ancient Rome if one man rules, the rest will fall into obscurity and freedom shall be destroyed. I foretell that happening to this fair country as well. Also, Viva Italia!
-Giuseppe Mazzini

And the Prime Minister now proves to be a pawn in the hands of foreign emperors hellbent on keeping Europe enslaved, while also giving up all plans to unify our Nation in the name of servitude to the Great Powers.

What a promising start.

- Alessandro "Libertà" Zecchini,
Commenting on the activity of the Government

((There isn't. You're thinking of causing riots, which I won't do.))

((Agitation does not necessarily imply illegal action, but agitation now has a small arrest chance under non-free press to reflect the fact that speech in the country isn't free. IE: Agitation may just be speech, but there are laws in place that may allow your arrest just for expressing an opinion that differs from that of the government. Marshall - you personally, however, serve in the Chamber of Deputies, meaning that you cannot be arrested for anything you say on the floor due to Parliamentary privilege and additionally cannot be arrested at all without the consent of the Parliament because you are privileged from arrest.))

An alliance with a kingdom? This will only strengthen the hold of the king on the populace, thereby furthering the aristocratic dominance in Sardinia-Piedmont. We must ally ourselves with only republics! Republics are the only truly pure nations on God's green earth. Kingdoms are wretched centers of sin and vice, for a single man rules. Just like Ancient Rome if one man rules, the rest will fall into obscurity and freedom shall be destroyed. I foretell that happening to this fair country as well. Also, Viva Italia!
-Giuseppe Mazzini

I ask the chamber to allow the authorities to arrest Deputy Giuseppe Mazzini for the crimes he has committed against the realm, namely, for organizing an insurrection against the Kingdom in 1831, for which by the Royal Courts he has been sentenced to death.

- Vincenzo Roberto Pes, Marquis di Villamarina, Prime Minister of Sardinia-Piedmont

I strongly advocate for an alliance between the Kingdom of Prussia and Sardinia-Piedmont. Prussia is a martial nation, inhabited by a people who value discipline, honor, duty, and strength. As a soldier, I believe them to be the best possible ally for my beloved country, especially if we wish to increase our military capabilities in the coming years.

- Brigadier Marco Vitali

In all due respect, I must question this decision. Prussia is a martial nation, and an alliance with them would only lead our glorious country to suffer in a useless war, fought to Prussia's benefit. Furthermore I advise against it on the grounds that France or Britain are much more powerful, and we already have the benefit of having established cordial relations with them.

- Alessandru Zammit

I congratulate our new cabinet and our new Prime Minister, and hope that they will continue to show restraint and concern with regards to liberalism, reform, and free trade.

With this in mind, I vote for Austria as our potential future ally.

The Austrian Empire is committed to ensuring that the post-Napoleonic world order continues, and with its allies in Prussia and Russia in the Holy Alliance, represents a bastion of stability and security in these times. In stark contrast to France, which has seen three government upheavals since the turn of this century, or the United Kingdom, which is more concerned with extra-European conflicts and takes a role of strict apathy with regards to continental affairs, making them a poor ally.

As such, I implore all of you to vote for Austria as an ally of Sardinia Piedmont!