• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi -

I just read through this in one sitting! Its a magnificent piece - a great blend of history and gameplay. I loved seeing the different twists to the plot and the way you dealt with them so plausibly!

Looking forward to King William's reign!

Brilliant AAR! Best i have ever read. Read through all this in one piece, it took me 3 hours.

And from what you are saying, it seems to get even better.

Looking forward to the next part of the story!

This is... Splendid :)

Really a fantastic piece of work and you got me hooked from the moment i read the first chapter.

The detail that you put into the characters and the way you explain ingame events just makes this a very interesting read.

I will be following this :D

While everybody's waiting patiently for the next update, maybe you can help me out a little. :D

40 or 50 years down the road—whenever I get cores on Scotland—it will be time to form Great Britain.

I find the default GBR flag a little boring, so I have thrown together three alternates, based on the "King's Colour" that are commonly carried by army regiments. King's Colours are typically the Royal Union flag defaced with a regimental badge or other emblem.

For these examples the flag has been defaced with the shield of the Order of the Garter, the shield of HM Government, and the coat of arms of HM Government. I've provided both 1707 and 1801 examples since I will probably have the flag evolve through both iterations.

gbrpotentialflags.jpg

So, which of these do you like best? Or is there another version you would rather see?

why don't you take the Union Flag and place the Coat of Arms you have at the moment with England, Ireland and Scotland on the one side and Byzantium on the other in a sphere.

Although the Union Flag itself is the representation of england, Ireland and Scotland merged as one...

And placing the Byzantine CoA over the Flag would seem more like they run the PU not the other way round. Quite the conundrum.

I just read through this in one sitting! Its a magnificent piece - a great blend of history and gameplay. I loved seeing the different twists to the plot and the way you dealt with them so plausibly!

Brilliant AAR! Best i have ever read. Read through all this in one piece, it took me 3 hours.

...The detail that you put into the characters and the way you explain ingame events just makes this a very interesting read.

Thank you for the kind compliments, gentlemen, and welcome aboard!

Regarding the GBR flag:

Okay, my fault. I should have been more specific. I meant the examples as "proofs of concept" and not "this is how the final thing is going to look". Forty or fifty years down the road, the coat of arms will probably not look like the examples I've shown. But then it may not look like the current (circa 1470) one either.

But the flag defaced with the CoA seems to be the most popular, no? Hell, it's the only one anyone chose :D

Have the current CoA defaced by the Union flag(1801 flag not 1707 is my own preference) representing that Britain rules over these lands. Basically the HM Gov flag reversed.

If only France and Byzantium had Patron Saints with Crosses... you could then just go super-crazy with the jack~

Actually, if you put the four Bs of the late East Roman flag in the quarters, you could still integrate the personal union into the flag. I forget the Greek, but the four Bs are for the phrase meaning "King of Kings, Ruling Over Kings."

Call me boring, but I prefer just the regular Union Jack, but as cod says, if anything I think you should incorporate something Byzantine over the Union Jack to represent them.

As for the gameplay... wholly disappointing that England could not hold onto Gascony, take Paris, or expand into Flanders ;) ... It seems strange that England can hold onto a PU with Byzantium but not Gascony

(I know, I'm a downer)

Since the Byzantines already have the cross of St. George, thats effectively incorporated unless you wish to double it. Adding the tetragram would definitely give Byzantine feel, and the meaning: King of Kings Kinging? Kings (the verb doesn't really translate), is pretty good for a united Kingdom. After all the Lancasters are the closest thing to heirs of the Palaiologoi. If there are ever four royal titles, it would gain even more significance.

EDIT: I see c0d5579 has a better translation the Greek is (forgive my transliteration): Vasileos Vasileon Vasilefon Vasilefonton

What about somthing like the current Australian/NZ flag with the Union flag in one corner and plenty of space remaining to add other features as you see fit (e.g. element referring to new lands within the Kingdom)? Not very historical, but might be fun.

For what it's worth, I think there's a few variations you could play with if you decide to incorporate the Byzantine empire, since both St George and St Andrew are associated with Byzantium/Constantinople. Here are some I threw together:

greekunion2.png

Since the Saltire of Scotland doesn't seem to have been exclusively on a blue background until later, perhaps the 16th century, you could also get away with something like this:

greekunion1.png

Or even:

greekunion3.png

I'd accept any of the lovely flag choices, so long as we see an update. That being said, I prefer putting the four B's of the Byzantium flag in the Union flag quarters.