• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Too bad that the Ottomans insist on attacking countries in your sphere... After all, weakening them too much would leave an opening for the Infidels to expand, but as it stands you're forced to fight them every now and then.

meh... you will see that they keep doing this even without any CB - it is really starting to annoy me now. ok, the AI have never been really smart when it came to measuring the potential strength/allies of its enemy before DoWing but it should have something like 'animal instinct' at least and should not attack the same enemy the third time when it had been defeated two times before in the very same situation...

after a... er... extended week of laziness I'm happy to report that I'm back :) expect update tomorrow! (it's 22:30 here right now so this means cca. 12 hours - currently all I need is yet another sleep to gather my thoughts together)

Looking to the screen shots, it looks like the only way left for Tripoli is going to the east facing the Mameluks or going northwest facing the French and Aragon.

all the Mamluks have is little more that sand - as long as they do not interfere with my allies (and hopefully they will not dare - Syria, Najd and the Hedjaz are my close friends) I have no intention humiliating them. they are fellow Muslims after all...
as for the French: they converted to Protestant some decades ago so there has been a steady status quo in Europe between Catholics (Castille, Portugal, England, Austria) and Protestants (France, Burgundy, Scandinavia) though with the Spanish and the Portuguese out of the picture I doubt it will stay for long. the French are already starting aggressive wars against their neighbours so I may have to step in on one side - or another.

Part 19 - Go West! (1573-1581)

[video=youtube;7NZ04BG7TfA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NZ04BG7TfA&feature=related[/video]

[all credits go to the magnificent Village People for writing this song]

So despite the Ottoman attack on Epirus the session of Ali II and his Council was going on even during wartime and enacted several important decisions and extended reforms such as the foundation of a university in Tripoli, the increased responsibility of the Council in internal matters and the implementation of free religious practices for all Christians in Tripoli.

This meeting of reform continued on even after peace was signed between the Turks and the Corsairs as it had left some other matters to attend to. These things were mostly related to previous decisions and had minor influence over the whole country but there was one important act Ali wanted to be accepted by the Council before the whole session was over.

dec07.jpg

The last decision of the Long Seat (as it was called later) was the introduction of some basic institutes that could be a core for any general education system in the future - it was a rather radical thought that every child could have the same basic education regardless of their position in the society and the somewhat conservative Councilors were not pleased about this act at all but Ali ensured them that it is the only possible way of keeping the Corsair's Alliance of many different nations together. There were already a large number of immigrants in the Corsair cities and not only from other Muslim countries but from the other side of the Mediterranean as well because what they saw there was a whole different way of life - a life filled with much more freedom and much less oppression than in any other Mediterranean state.

Might as well the Long Seat was officially closed in late 1573 and the time for testing the new system had come - yet before it (and given the experience gained from the last wars that were much quicker than the ones before) some improvements for the navy and army were necessary. Governmental reforms or not the only thing standing between the freedom of the Corsair lands and the wrath of the Christian kings was the navy - thus neglecting it could easily be disastrous...

So in late 1574 a grand parade of the fleet was held in the port of Tripoli to strengthen the connection between the commoners and the seafaring men of the Corsairs.

misc2001.jpg

After that a much longer (and certainly more heated) debate was started about the drill of the standing army. On one side there were the ones (including the Sultan himself) who thought that despite their recent accomplishments the role of the army is still secondary compared to that of the navy's. On the other side however were the leaders of the army and the mass of the people whose sons were serving in it: they claimed that the casualties of the recent land battles fought by Corsair forces were unacceptable.

The latter side had truth in what they said - that was without doubt but descendants of the fleet like Ali and his henchmen in the Council tended to not care about the land forces that were 'naturally inferior' to ships in the field of strategic warfare - or at least that was what they were convinced about. However it was not Ali's intention to fight his own soldiers in this matter so after a very long negotiation he (and the Council) agreed upon a new drilling and conscripting method that would lead to better trained soldiers and thus (hopefully) fewer casualties in future conflicts.

misc2002.jpg

The next task at hand was the reorganization of the lower levels of the government. While the holders of the most important positions across the Corsair lands had accepted the new order (even if not so easily) there were dozens of cities and holdings (mainly islands) that were only recently freed from their former zealous despots so introducing them to the Corsair way of things seemed generally a good idea for Ali.

However it was not without exception that people resisted the envoys sent from Tripoli and then Ali had to chose between enforcing centralization or letting the people be in their freedom of doing so.

misc2003.jpg

The Sultan generally favoured the latter over the former as he thought that it would bring more benefit to the country in the long run.

Speaking about benefits to the country: in early 1577 a delegation of rusty merchants appeared before Ali and told their tale about a journey across the Great Western Sea to a land that was formerly unknown to anyone in Tripoli. They said that these lands were several weeks of sailing from the Corsair outpost of Gebel al-Tarik (named after the great Muslim general Tariq ibn Ziyad) and they added that the Crusaders of Iberia were already gained some footholds there enslaving and eradicating the defenseless locals in the name of their god.

After the merchant's departure Ali remained silent for a while - he had many thoughts in his mind all loosely connected to the others and after he reached a conclusion he called for the admiral of the fleet...

misc2004.jpg

Ali had a cunning plan but before the execution of it he had to ensure that the fleet is capable of the task he was about to give them. There was a chain of islands in the eastern part of the Western Lands controlled by the Corsair's deadliest enemies: the Kingdoms of Castille, Portugal and England. Ali wanted the fleet to lead a surprise attack on those islands and seize the undefended and most vulnerable ones - the Sultan hated the thought that he fought the Crusaders for decades just to let them flee in the last moment and see them continuing their wretched practices a few thousand miles away.

After the consultation with the admiral orders were given and part of the fleet set sail - they reached the Western Lands by late fall of 1577 and when they get ashore on that land the Crusaders surely didn't know what hit them.

The poor, unprotected Portuguese colony of Saint Lucia fell quickly and the small Spanish garrison of Trinidad did not put up much of a fight either - so again it was Iberia where the war had to be decided.

misc2005.jpg

Though it was more likely a raid than a full scale war as Ali had limited goals to achieve while the Crusaders had very limited ways to prevent him from doing so. In less than a month two Castilian fortress fell to the hands of the Corsairs and the Spanish army didn't even dare to engage the forces of Tripoli.

In early 1578 the Castilians capitulated - they gave up their colony of Trinidad and the Isles of Canarias just next to the Moroccan shores and paid a fair sum of gold just to have the Corsairs off their back.

peace28.jpg

By that time the Portuguese already lost Saint Lucia which was later renamed to 'Ali Amenokal' in honour of the Sultan.

Ali II was satisfied by the success of the raid and even gave the governor title of the newly acquired lands to one of the captains who was the very first to step on the shores of the future Ali Amenokal.

misc2006.jpg

With many people eager to go west, the government organized transports for them towards the Western Lands and thus the population on Saint Lucia rose quickly. The Portuguese colonist weren't expelled by force though many of them left the land towards other nearby islands that had colonies founded by their home country. Despite this (and due to the quantity of voluntary settlers) by spring 1579 Ali Amenokal had enough inhabitants to stand on its own. This was also the time when its name was officially changed.

misc2007.jpg

But history didn't stop in Mediterranean too - and it was the Ottoman ambassador again who made the situation a bit more complicated. It seemed that the beatings the Turks had got from the Corsairs didn't make them see the light - namely that they do not have the force required to gain the upper hand in a conflict with us.

While the Sultan of the Ottomans agreed upon the renouncement of his claims upon the small Sultanate of Karaman, seeing that Tripoli had other interests and issues far from their homelands the Turks declared war upon the Karamanli once again - only this time without any valid cause for doing that.

misc2008.jpg

Ali II was more and more convinced that this is just a test after all - the Ottomans are testing him if he got tired of waging war against them and maybe they expect that if they press this matter enough times Ali would finally give up on the Karamanli (and maybe on the Epirote too). They clearly didn't know Ali's personality too well...

While these wars were indeed costly, claimed many lives on both sides and drove away attention from other important matters Ali II definitely wasn't the man who admit defeat so easily. It was proved many times in the following year...

misc2009.jpg

There were three major battles in 1580 between the forces of Tripoli and the Ottoman army on the various battlefields of Southern Greece - two of them was a defeat for Tripoli and the number of casualties showed that the generals were right: without proper training even the most fierce Corsair soldier is no match for a professional Ottoman recruit. Though in the end, in the third battle of Achaea the forces of Tripoli were finally victorious, by that time they had overwhelming superiority in numbers as the Ottoman supply lines were cut off and their fleet was defeated (and later sunk) by the allied navy.

In late 1580 news came from the recently silent Italia as well - though they were not very comforting at all: the burghers of Ancona, a protectorate of the Holy Roman Emperor sent a petition to their overlord in Austria in which they were complaining about the 'pagan neighbourhood' they 'had to endure'.

misc2010.jpg

While this wasn't a direct threat to the Corsair protectorates in Toscana (at least for the time being) it gained a significant attention towards Italia in the Court. Though with the Ottoman situation still unresolved and the continuing exploration of the Western Lands the Sultan delayed this matter for a while...

Meanwhile the Turkish war was raging on though after the Ottoman defeat in Greece its intensity was much lower - with their fleet sunk their country was effectively cut in half so the Turks had lost it already. With no forces remaining in Rumelia while allied reinforcements were continuing to arrive the Ottomans finally gave up their fight - again.

peace29.jpg

Only this time Ali was a bit more permissive than before - he let the Ottomans keep the Karamanli lands which they had annexed before and in exchange he only demanded the freedom of the Epirote people and a token of monetary reparations for the Corsair war effort.

The truth was that Ali wasn't a young man anymore and he grew tired of fighting the Turks in the rest of his life - not to mention that he had more important matters to attend to on other lands. So it seemed that the Ottoman strategy of continuing the attacks to tire out Ali worked after all - yet there was another aspect of the war which they didn't realize in time: that the only thing the Holy Roman Emperor and his English allies were waiting for is to find them in a bad shape to finally initiate their plans on driving the Turks out of Europe once and for all...

Corsairs of the Caribbean, yay! :D

The Ottoman situation is worrying however. Judging by the ending it seems to be as anticipated: their constant DoWs on your protégés leave them vulnerable to Infidel attacks...

The AI in EU3 is sometimes just plain bad. I had the biggest army and still a nation with say 2k army, just attacks me... Sometimes even without a CB.

Do you have any plans for the future? Some adventurous or what shall we say epic? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Corsairs of the Caribbean, yay! :D

The Ottoman situation is worrying however. Judging by the ending it seems to be as anticipated: their constant DoWs on your protégés leave them vulnerable to Infidel attacks...

at least without Orlando Bloom this time :D though without Johnny Depp too... :(

and yes, it ended up like that - history doesn't deal with 'what if' scenarios but the Ottomans have done well up until this point (ok, they are one of the lucky nations after all) and I believe that without their stupid no-CB DoWs they could have fought the Austrians on (more) even terms.
but: at least there are still some powerhouses in the game like England and Imperial Austria so - as a partial answer to PiriReis too - we all could hope for more adventurous (and maybe a bit epic) campaigns in the future...
:)

The AI in EU3 is sometimes just plain bad. I had the biggest army and still a nation with say 2k army, just attacks me... Sometimes even without a CB.

Do you have any plans for the future? Some adventurous or what shall we say epic? :rolleyes:

the AI is especially hopeless in financial management and estimating potential strength/allies of its target - it seems that all our hopes lay in Johan and the upcoming 5.2 patch though I doubt it will handle such general problems. you will need a whole new game for that.

as for the future I really hope to inherit at least Morocco when Ali II dies (I am at 1600 now in the game - he is currently around 70) and then I can integrate Candar (and release them as a vassal) and switch to republic. that is my main priority now. on longer terms I'd like to liberate Rumelia (the Balkans) for the Turks and exceed the navy of England (Great Britain in the near future...). that is a long way to go now. the ultimate goal is to dismantle the HRE (as you suggested before) if it's possible though I have to add that I've never done that before and currently I have no idea how to achieve this but there is still some 200 years to come up with a plan.

I also wanted to release Galicia as a vassal but the province culture has converted to Castilian and now I'm stuck with 3 provinces in Iberia I don't really need - I considered selling them to Granada but I don't know if they could hold onto it. maybe with my help they can - we will see that.

Nice! New Tripoli here we come!

thanks a lot :)

the lack of colonists painfully hurts my efforts for an extended colonial holding in the West so all I do right now is 'stealing' colonies from others (namely Portugal and Castille), convert them with one of my own and then simply wait for immigrants.

Last edited:
Part 20 - Go West! (reprise) (1581-1593)

After reigning for more than 35 years Ali II really grew tired of war - only war did not seem to grow tired of Ali yet. Spanish and Turkish campaings became too regular in the last years and as Ali reached his 50s he lost his interests in the fighting - due to the fleet neither the Castilians nor the Ottomans posed any real threat to Tripoli. Holding them at bay was quite easy now but it meant that they (especially the Turks) tried to break out from their quarantine from time to time.

Ali understood that for the sake of future generations he cannot let these two declining powers to regain their strength. And there was the case of the Emperor of course (who - unlike the Greek one - possessed far more than one city only...) whose growing power in Italia and Rumelia caused not one heated debate in the Council sessions. But - unlike many in the his realm - Ali still had some pirate heritage in him and he did not dream of a huge Corsair Empire stretching from one corner of the world to another. The fleet and not the land was his true religion and he didn't want to conquer more than necessary.

In fact in his older days he abandoned his warmongering traits and became a generous patron of culture. The Free Cities were still a perfect place for artist and the like and with the new university in Tripoli scientists of the Corsair lands were kept in high regard all across Europe and the Middle East.

misc2101.jpg

However, beside war, there were other matters to attend to in the realm.

Because of the new foothold in the Western Lands the borders of Tripoli stretched to new horizons - and that left quite a weight on the administration too. As much as he did not intend to do so Ali extended the direct control of Tripoli to previously unimaginable masses of land. This development required many new governors and supporting agents and they had to stand for the Sultan in many different situations - not to mention the wide variety of the subjects they had to handle.

To help keeping the ultimate power in the Sultan's hands a new form of edicts gained shape to distinguish local resolutions from those of the Court.

dec08.jpg

This way the governors - who were overseen closely in other cases too - had little chance to gain power for their own purposes in the lands that were temporarily granted to them.

However there were still some unresolved matters in the field of distant lands: the ancient Kingdom of León which fell into Corsair hands some years ago was originally to be restored under the Protectorate of Tripoli yet it seemed that the Castilian grip of its people were so strong that even in their newly acquired freedom they didn't want to reclaim what was once rightfully theirs. They embraced the culture of their former oppressors and to much disappointment in Tripoli all they wanted was to become one with the Crusaders once again...

But regardless of this the Corsair state was doing well and it seems that its main output is not only brute pirates anymore...

misc2102.jpg

So culture was thriving but the people of Tripoli were still as Corsairs as one can be and though the restoration of León seemed impossible for the time being, the restoration of Granada was well within reach.

misc2103.jpg

Due to their failures in recent wars their former allies had abandoned the Crusaders - only minor states and the pretentious Portuguese were standing with them. That was nothing the Corsairs couldn't handle.

misc2104.jpg

...or at least that was the admirals preconception before the fleet ran into a surprising defeat in the Gulf of Almeria. While the casualties were not high it taught an important lesson to the young officers of the navy - the navy that was probably built up too quickly it seemed.

Seeing the shameful retreat from the Spanish coast Ali II was more and more convinced that war is not the proper way of things in life - and he wasn't the only who noticed this not-quite-minor mistake of the admirals: the support of (at least a bit more) pacifist policies in Tripoli grew stronger in the last years and there were many protests against the war. Though it really wasn't an option to end the fight only because of this the whole case showed the recent changes in the Corsair society.

Regardless of the lower-than-expected performance of the navy the army was doing much better - probably a part of this was the ambition of its generals to challenge the leading position of the fleet that was recently rather unquestionable in the government. The soldiers of Tripoli quickly captured several Castilian forts in Southern Iberia and seized the colony of Jamaica from the unsuspecting Portuguese.

misc2105.jpg

In early July in the next year the combined armies of Castille and Portugal led by the Castilian king himself were utterly defeated by general Ziyad Asim and the Crusaders' retreat from Andalusia proved to be disastrous for them. Moroccan forces landed in Southern Portugal - the end of the war was coming.

Yet Ali II didn't care much about the war anymore - he let the Council and the generals handle that business while he was busy with his new agenda: patronizing art.

Due to this it was the first time he didn't participated in the peace negotiations initiated by the Castilians later that year. His opinion was that the results of the deal are not so important anyway and that Tripoli will prevail over its enemies not by sheer force but with its superior developments.

peace30.jpg

In fact the peace indeed didn't contain anything serious compared to the previous treaties: the Crusaders ceded yet another two provinces back to Granada, Tripoli kept Jamaica in her possession and the Spanish promised not to step on African or Galician soil anymore.

Reorganization of the new element of the Far-Western Governorship was just begun when the scheduled demands of the Ottoman ambassador arrived at the Court. Ali II wasn't even surprised at all and the navy set sail for its now routine journey towards Greece...

misc2106.jpg

The Ottomans quickly annexed Epirus - again. And Thabit Nazhar routed the Turkish fleet - again. There was nothing in the course of the war that could be considered even a little surprising.

And it was not only Ali who was fed up with the war - the majority of the population in Tripoli proper also considered the Corsair protection of Infidels against fellow Muslims quite unreasonable...

misc2107.jpg

Nonetheless this Turkish war was smoother than the ones before - at least the Turks seemed to understand that regardless their efforts their simplycannot win. This time it took only one year of fruitless struggle for them to come to the right solution.

Ali II was absent from the negotiations again - the Turkish Sultan saw this as a very insulting action but without his fleet he wasn't very much in a position to be insulted by anything...

peace31.jpg

So in the resulting treaty the Ottomans gave up on Epirus once again - and it seemed that this time it will finally last as the ink on the treaty wasn't even dry yet when a huge Imperial army led by Austrian forces and supported by English ships began its campaign in Rumelia.

Regardless, the fleet of Tripoli was glorious once more and though it wasn't such an achievement against a nation whose navy was clearly inferior compared to that of the Corsairs' it helped the admirals regain some of the prestige they had lost at the coast of Iberia.

misc2108.jpg

As both the Sultan and his subjects had had enough of war for quite some time it seemed that peace is arrived to the Free Cities at last. It was much anticipated by everyone now as some reorganization and reparation was needed in the country.

misc2109.jpg

The city of Sirte, famous for its architects since the time of Ahmad the Old, lived up for the expectations as the leader of this campaign was again the son of this centre of architecture.

The new... hobby of the Sultan (namely that he preferred peace and prosperity over war) met with much content from the people's side too - the overall happiness of the populace rose quickly in the following years and the connection between Ali and his subjects slowly reached a previously unknown state of harmony.

misc2110.jpg

However there were times when the Council had to step in and remind the old Sultan of his primary duty - and it was definitely not the spending of hardly earned money on particularly foolish things like local festivities...

Instead it could be funneled into more profitable things like better administration of the state - with the continuously expanding borders and the exploration of the Western Lands it became inevitable to implement a separate way of rule to govern those cities with the efficiency desired:

misc2111.jpg

Passing more authority to the governors of the Western Lands, Iberia and Italia and ensuring that shipping routes towards those lands will remain safe the income from those parts of the country could rise to even higher levels.

With the majority of its possession in distant territories the whole of Tripoli can only prosper with policies like this. However - and it was a much dismaying experience to the now old and tired Ali II - the times of war were definitely not over for the Corsairs...

After reigning for more than 35 years Ali II really grew tired of war - only war did not seem to grow tired of Ali yet. Spanish and Turkish campaings became too regular in the last years and as Ali reached his 50s he lost his interests in the fighting - due to the fleet neither the Castilians nor the Ottomans posed any real threat to Tripoli. Holding them at bay was quite easy now but it meant that they (especially the Turks) tried to break out from their quarantine from time to time.

Quarantine :p:p:p

Ali understood that for the sake of future generations he cannot let these two declining powers to regain their strength. And there was the case of the Emperor of course (who - unlike the Greek one - possessed far more than one city only...) whose growing power in Italia and Rumelia caused not one heated debate in the Council sessions. But - unlike many in the his realm - Ali still had some pirate heritage in him and he did not dream of a huge Corsair Empire stretching from one corner of the world to another. The fleet and not the land was his true religion and he didn't want to conquer more than necessary.

I would advice him at least try to get a single province in each continent. A base (an island) from where the pirates of Tripoli can sail and come safely back (Taiwan or Hongkong or Okinawa in East Asia for example, Falklands in South America and Somali (Socotra) or Mahe or Zanzibar in East Africa)

The ultimate goal is to dismantle the HRE (as you suggested before) if it's possible though I have to add that I've never done that before and currently I have no idea how to achieve this but there is still some 200 years to come up with a plan.

If you open the HRE tab and hover over the dismantle HRE button you can see the exact requirements for that. I remember that you need to occupy all the capitals of each elector and that of the emperor.

If you are referring to the strategy and the military tactics for executing this decision. Try to get some allies in Scandinavia or in Russia and find a way to get the Ottomans join your cause against the Holy roman emperor (this way together with your vassals/allies you will encircle the enemy). Besides that Tripoli needs to have an edge in Quality/Discipline/land tech or in sheer numbers/manpower, you are gonna need it. Pursuing a divide an rule policy for a while might help you aswell.

To make it short: get your armies ready for it, because it won't be easy. Thanks to the cascading alliance system in EU3, you might feel the wrath of northern and Central Europe :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Too bad you didn't have the time to crush the Ottomans and attempt to neutralize them - or are you trying to keep them as a bulwark against other nations?

Your reforms are coming along nicely. Great work!

Just vassalise the electors one by one, then when you have them all you can dismantle easily. As a non-christian you don't have the 'problem' of becoming HRE yourself, which would disable the ability to dismantle it.

Can you post a map of Europe and Central Asia also plz?

homy_dog34: now let's go after Sandokan!

PiriReis: the idea of establishing (well... seizing) naval bases on each continent is charming indeed. as for the HRE: the Ottomans would be a great help so first I have to destroy HRE Austria not only because of the title but also to get the Turks on their feet again. Aquileia is a good gate to the Empire only if I could get past Austria to the inside... we will see about that.

MrQwerty: I did not intend to crush the Ottomans and I still do not intend to do so but I am really sensitive when it comes to my vassals/allies/sphere. seeing a reborn Ottoman Empire that could match the HRE in power would be nice I just have to do something with Austria first...

Ogrecrusher: actually I am more worried about CBs against the electors than the electors themselves.

gremlok: if you can wait for it (well... you will have to :)) there will be an 'overview post' similar to the one made about the situation in 1501 just after the next chapter which will hopefully come tomorrow. amongst other things there will be maps in it too.

Tripoli has come far from the days of lurking outside the crusader ports looking for an easy target.;)
Do you really have enough colonies for viceroy's to be effective in adding to the bottom line?

yeah, and with the tribal government infamy was not a real problem - good old days :)

on the other hand though I haven't got many colonies - 7 IIRC - I have 12 provinces in 'Europe' and all of them are overseas with the exception of Malta. actually I didn't do a counting about Viceroys being effective or not - I took the NI mainly because of roleplaying reasons.
:eek:o
so currently the overseas/non-overseas ratio of my provinces is 18/8 and think the difference will only grow in the future so... I guess taking Viceroys wasn't that bad. or..? I am not the kind of 'effectiveness above all' player you know - I am more like 'roleplaying above all' so...
:D

anyway all of you my dear Readers may go and vote for your favourite AAR here - and in case You are afraid I have to add that 'favourite' doesn't have to be this one
:D

you still have a few days to vote!

aaaaaand! update on its way...

Last edited:
Part 21 - Tortuga... Tortuga Bay! (1593-1597)

[video=youtube;yLzDjWTWhFo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLzDjWTWhFo[/video]

It was the dawn of a new age in Tripoli - the Corsair sailors broke out of the Mediterranean Sea which was their home since time immemorial and set foot on the wild, untamed lands across the Great Western Sea. They were not alone however and war was inevitable with either the Portuguese who established a quite stable colonial empire or with the English who were also more than eager to join the race for the riches of the New World.

And amongst the many factors of success Ali II was the main engine of Corsair glory and his extensive reforms were the key to finally defeat the Crusaders of Iberia and take revenge for the humiliating defeat the Corsairs had suffered before. So the Sultan was well satisfied with his life and all he had hoped for his country (in his old days too) was quiet prosperity. It wasn't his fault that it turned out in a different way...

Regardless, the new policy about the governors of Iberia and the Western Lands was surprisingly successful. Even as the Sultan was considered to be a great administrator one could have not expected results that quickly.

misc2201.jpg

Due to the less restricting laws and the growing responsibilities the riches of the New World flew back to Tripoli in previously unknown quantities. However some in the Court have noted that uncontrolled exploitation of the colonies could bring harm to Tripoli in the long run.

Nevertheless trade across the seas was thriving - and along with that so did the navy. It was fairly easy to find fresh and able recruits for the fleet especially compared to recent decades of war.

misc2202.jpg

It seemed that all the benefits of the long-term reforms arrived at the same time: the income of the merchants was rising steadily, the merchant fleets and the navy was in a perfect condition and the economy of Tripoli was on the brink of a whole new level of development.

misc2203.jpg

So it was quite unexpected and shocking when a Portuguese envoy appeared before Ali II and handed over the - quite unacceptable - demands of his King to him...

misc2204.jpg

This was the first time in nearly two centuries when anyone dared to attack Tripoli - yet it was not clear what the Portuguese wanted. Maybe it wasn't entirely clear even to themselves - however one thing was for sure: they wanted war.

This was a bold move from the Portuguese even with the Holy Roman Emperor and the (rather decimated) fleet of Venice on their side. The Emperor's armies were not in a perfect shape after the war with the Ottomans and the Republic of Venice was merely a shell of its former glory. However the Portuguese had a strong fleet and their goal was possibly to separate the Corsair holdings from each other and let hunger and unrest do the dirty work for them. Well they should have mastered a better plan...

One thing the Portugese seemed to be unaware of was the fact that Tripoli had two battle-hardened armies stationed in Iberia: one in the former kingdom of León and one in the allied state of Granada. It remains a mystery that the Portuguese intelligence was the only one to blame for this grave mistake of their king and his government or - despite the Corsair threat - they were still convinced that their strategy would work but it was clear that they've lost the war in the very moment when they've started it.

misc2205.jpg

Allied forces under the command of Ziyad Asim, a veteran of many Iberian wars, were quick to respond to the Portuguese moves and with a brave assault from both north and south they pinched the Portuguese between the hammer and the anvil.

Meanwhile Aquileian forces tried to hold off the Imperial armies and the third army of Tripoli marched towards north from Greece to seize Austrian holdings on the Balkans.

However the experienced Imperial troops and officers proved to be more than a match for the young general Husayn Nazhar who commanded mostly reserves and fresh recruits - at least it seemed that these Imperials were trained to aim on another Imperial Academy...

misc2206.jpg

Due to the narrow defeat hopes of seizing the Balkans from Austria quickly faded away - though without any kind of navy and with the Aquileians' surprisingly good defensive movements the Austrians were in no position to gain anything from the war. And with Portugal proper quickly falling under Corsair control they decided to jump out of it with the help of some gold and promises.

peace32.jpg

This success was another proof that a strong navy is still the key for Tripoli to maintain its position versus the Europeans so a group of the Councilors - backed by the main ship-carpenters of the country - came up with an idea of a new system of naval organization which would lead to more effective and less expensive ship-building. This way even more new ships could be produced across the country - however patronizing quantity could always lead to a possible decline in quality on the long run...

But only a half year into the war the city of Lisbon fell and all of the Portuguese homelands were under Corsair control - and still no sign of the Portuguese fleet...

misc2207.jpg

And the war was going on in New World too - yet with even less opposition from the enemy. The Island of Haiti was slowly falling to the Corsairs and the Portuguese had to befriend the thought of further losses.

misc2208.jpg

The new naval reforms were also going on well and with founding from the government the Councilors hoped that they will bear fruits as quickly as the recent act dealing with the governors.

By next spring the Portuguese suffered a bitter defeat and - though their navy still hasn't appeared on any shores - they were ready to admit it. And Ali, who now felt his death lurking in the shadows, was merciful: he didn't start the war, he didn't want to gain anything humiliating from it and he - who was bound to act selflessly for his people in all his life - certainly didn't want to pass on to Paradise as a cruel and greedy man.

peace33.jpg

So the Portuguese only had to pay. Well, and above that they handed over the western part of Haiti along with the Island of Tortuga to Tripoli - they say that it is the best place for any kind of corsairs. Well, time will tell us if so...

Ah Tortuga, most fitting. :)

Good thing that Austria can't reach you, they seem powerful enough as far as land forces go...