• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
this is not an update - yet!

but guys you do amaze me with so many replies and now I am really ashamed because of the... discontinuity of the AAR. so I thought I have to say something even if it would not be more than a disappointing "don't give up hope, it's still a long road from Tripoli to Vienna"...

I have had some issues with the image hosting site I use (namely my albums don't work as they are expected to) but I will post an update nonetheless - soon!

agreed?

Newcomer here, good job!

How were you able to keep up the manpower drain vs Austria as HRE? I'm fighting a war vs Austria as Holy Roman Emperor right now (am playing as Venice), they have almost unlimited manpower! Ping-ponging their retreating armies isn't working as my depleted armies suffer heavy attrition in the mountains and the absolute size of their army is greater than mine, so they always have stacks getting reinforced somewhere.

Nice update! Where to from here? I really like the way you've resisted the temptation to take all the territories for yourself.

I usually play like this - plausibility above all. though on a second thought I should probably not play EU3 at all then...

and where to? to Vienna of course - or wherever the capital of the HRE will be. we will not stop until we dismantle it!

The Ottoman Sultan seems to be a pretty good general!

Four years of war have tanked your manpower, but the truce with Austria should allow you some breathing space. The navy fought well, so you can probably count on being able to keep the non-Mediterranean powers off your back too.

the Ottoman Sultan is a monster. Napoléon himself in disguise. I think I would have lost that battle without him. even with the help my casualties were higher.

I think at this point there aren't any threat to me at all. though I could definitely be a little more cautious about when to use my leader as a general.

That is awesome :D . Congratulations on your victory, and may not the western powers interrupt your control of the Mediterranean.

thank you! they won't, that I promise!

Finally caught up again after the summer hiatus, great going as always. That's one power severely weakened. [...] It really helps keep the tension in the AAR as Tripoli doesn't grow into such an unstoppable juggernaut.

I was a bit frustrated though that despite all my effort the electors chose Austria as HRE again... damn. I guess they did that to make me continue the AAR... (as I think I am already a somewhat unstoppable juggernaut...)

True. It is still an (almost) plausible world. Although I am not sure about Tripoli's merchants in Novgorod...

I really like this world - might consider switching the AAR to a hands-off one but I guess you all wouldn't like that, would you?

also as you are a veteran Venice player I don't really understand your concerns about trading everywhere around the world ;)

It is nice to see you again. Keep the updates coming!

well, here we go - I hope you are still here...

Very much so! I wouldn't worry too much about how fast the updates come, as long as they keep coming!

you said that...

Newcomer here, good job!

How were you able to keep up the manpower drain vs Austria as HRE? I'm fighting a war vs Austria as Holy Roman Emperor right now (am playing as Venice), they have almost unlimited manpower! Ping-ponging their retreating armies isn't working as my depleted armies suffer heavy attrition in the mountains and the absolute size of their army is greater than mine, so they always have stacks getting reinforced somewhere.

hm... couple of thoughts here (though I imagine you probably figured all that out on your own in the last 2 months...):

allies: many (most?) of the battles were fought by the Ottomans and my other allies, not me only.

cautiousness: though I wiped many Austrian armies in the war I didn't march into their territories until victory was certain. after all I have vassals to besiege enemy provinces. I usually just waited on home/friendly soil for the Austrians where my supply limit is high end theirs is low. I only followed them if a wipe was likely.

buildings: in 5.1 manpower is really a joke. I have what? like 2 thousand manpower regenerating per month as a full naval power. though my maximum manpower is really low (less than half of my force limit) if I keep fighting with only one army at a time I can avoid depleting all my armies at the same time.

short update incoming now!

Part 27 - One Step Right, Two Steps Left (1624-1634)

So Sultan Muhammad the Mujahid was dead and he left the Free Cities in a quite exhausted state - though the brave Corsair and Turk armies were able to defeat the Imperials the victory itself claimed the lives of many soldiers and left the army in a drained and vulnerable position.

The crown prince was still a child and the regency council was uncertain about the future. They had their own instincts and past however and they were hard to change: in their eyes the navy was the backbone of the Corsair war effort and they aimed for an even stronger one - though that also required taking action against other naval countries...

LLPlHAf.jpg

So as a new short-term goal they were seeking to further weaken the Kingdom of Portugal whom the Corsair had defeated numerous times already.

But they also had to deal with the shaken country itself. And when they heard about a famous musician gaining popularity and reputation in Cyrenaica by his songs about the glorious wars of the late Sultan they were quick to realize the potential.

ZVTFTEZ.jpg

By spreading his work they hoped to retain the people's faith in the government.

The impact of the war on Europe also continued to shape the political situation across the continent.

KDqEqUd.jpg

While the lost war had costed the Austrian king the throne of Lithuania the Lithuanians were unable to find a new king amongst the nobility of their own so they elected the King of Castille as they new ruler.

Though they didn't consider the Crusaders to be threat to Tripoli anymore, the councilors had noticed this event with some cautiousness.

They also had some problems with the people of the Free Cities too as some (well, many) of them weren't satisfied with the way the government handled (or more likely 'abandoned') the previously victorious land forces and how they favoured the navy over the army.

rdy8fZa.jpg

Though the somewhat narrowminded and conservative councilors didn't really care about all those complains coming from the "common folk"...

wokBEKN.jpg

All they saw was the navy and "some angry peasants and merchants" were not going to change that all that easy.

However the protests about the blind focus of the regents didn't stop at that point. New sects emerged amongst the Christians on the Greek lands claiming that their local leaders are far too willing to support the heretic government in its life-wasting policy...

fEuK7Zx.jpg

...and there were reports about people harassing the local officials because in their uncontent.

1ulIn9k.jpg

This led to rather heated debates in the regency council itself - slowly some of the regents started to realize that they are no longer the unquestioned leaders of the Corsairs. Not even when they act in the name of the Sultan. While the majority of the councilors were willing to reverse the course and give way to a somewhat balanced policy about the military, there were a few of them who didn't want to move an inch from what they called "the national tradition of Tripoli".

And when those few realized that they became a minority in the Council they made a bold move...

a6YUOzQ.jpg

But they weren't that strong anymore. Ultimately the majority of the Council understood that they were no longer able to act against the will of the whole country - so the traitors were imprisoned and all their wealth was confiscated in the name of the crown prince!

At the same time news from Italy arrived to the court about some wealthy merchants successfully funding a rebellion to declare independence from the Duchy of Parma and restore their rule in the ancient city of Venice.

CS11Qs7.jpg

Eventually the regents efforts to isolate Austrian cities had some success as the city of Brescia also joined the rebellion.

Finally things in Tripoli proper too were starting to turn towards the right direction - once they dealt with the traitors trying to depose the rightful Sultan of the Corsairs and gave way to the will of their people by restoring the army to its pre-war status the ranks of the soldiers were filling up once again.

QE5uHNG.jpg

Though it didn't mean that part of the population were not complaining against the "unpredictable turns" the regents did...

mm3GKt8.jpg

In the meantime the French intervened in the Venetian rebellion and annexed the city itself - so the reborn country had to retreat to the city of Brescia and thus became a government in exile.

But the 15th birthday of the crown prince was near and on that they he was officially recognized as the sole ruler over the Free Cities - the regents abdicated and now it was up to the young Ali to lead his people towards an even more glorious future...

rq2mGMV.jpg

You're back, again! Those European powers just won't stop growing. Next thing you know, you'll have Spanish Cossacks charging at you :D !

The return of another AAR! What really strikes me is that Castille has this habit of forming personal unions with Lithuania. I've seen it once or twice in my own games, but more here on the forums - it's probably just a coincidence.

Are you going to try your colonial ambitions anywhere besides the Americas, especially since you now have naval bases to work outside the Mediterranean?