• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes, I am rather pleased this was turning into a proper game of CK. Unfortunately, I have overwritten the save file due to my own stupidity :mad: :eek:o. I can't edit the newest save file, so I will have to resort to replaying as close to the original game as I can. I'm not sure what effect this will have on the AAR yet.

BTW Many thanks for the amazing plug in the Fan of the Week! :D

Damned save files! I take it you do not use autosaves? They'ved saved my skin a few times. The good thing is that you are not too far into the game thus far for the AAR, thus if you do have to replay, hopefully it won't take too much work to get back to where you were. A few changes to the game/AAR would not be anything terrible, just do not let this AAR die!

Damned save files! I take it you do not use autosaves? They'ved saved my skin a few times. The good thing is that you are not too far into the game thus far for the AAR, thus if you do have to replay, hopefully it won't take too much work to get back to where you were. A few changes to the game/AAR would not be anything terrible, just do not let this AAR die!

Actually, that's the aggravating thing, I am using an autosave. However, I decided to show my dad the joys of CK, but of course that game was then autosaved. I didn't even thin about it :eek:o.

Despite this, the AAR should be up and running again in a week or so.

Edit: It turns out it is not as dramatic as i thought :rolleyes:. An update covering all the changes will be out soon!

Also thanks for the encouragement. Were it not for your comments, this story would have died after 3 or 4 updates. :)

Last edited:
Past and Present

Chapter 13: the one where I fix what I so thoroughly botched.

Rather than attempt something as clever as what Uriah did when switching from 1.3 to 1.4 in his HoI3 AAR, I will take the easy way out. In fact I’m not even going to list the changes. I am simply going to state the situation, and the AAR will move on from there. I’m actually getting anxious to move on with Michael’s story, as I have finally have a more concrete idea of what will happen to him.

So without further ado, the situation in the Duchy of Argyll circa October 11, 1073

-I directly control Moray, Sutherland, and Ulaid

-Ross and the two Tir counties are my vassals. I control the northern coast of Ireland.

-I am ill, and my wife is stressed.

-My marshall died and my new one married my newly widowed sister. Unfortunately his martial skill is 1 L.

-I am not excommunicated (an advantage that has come from this :cool:).

-After more deaths and births, my children stack up as:

David: heir, 2 years of age

John: bastard, 0 years of age

Aufrica: 5 year old daughter

Joan: 0 year old daughter

Anyway, that’s all the important stuff. There are many more minor changes, but nothing that will affect the story like these have. If there’s any glaring omissions feel free to ask for clarification. After the heart attack inducing moment when I realized the save game had been overwritten, I’ll be glad to get back to writing. :cool:

Past and Present

Chapter 14:

Michael Loarn was jolted out of his stupor of reading by a large wave shoving the ship upwards quite suddenly. He suddenly realized he had been drifting in and out of sleep while reading, and some of the details had been quite wrong ( ;))

“Well well,” came Jack’s voice from behind him. “Look who’s back in the land of the living.”

“What are you talking about?” Michael asked slowly, feeling groggy and unaware.

“Well you’ve been staring at that damned book for hours. If the ship hadn’t jolted you out of it, you’d still be staring at it.”

“Well, it’s quite interesting to me,” came Michael’s sarcastic reply. He started to open the book back up.

“No you don’t!” Jack grabbed his arm and spun Michael around to face him. “I need to talk to you!”

“About what?”

“Well, you’ve been too busy to notice, but there’s something very strange going on with the crew. They seem very nervous around the passengers.”

“What exactly do you think is going on?”

“I don’t know yet, but we’re coming to another port in Southern Ireland, before the final bit of the journey, and I suggest we get off the ship then.”

“No,” Michael said sternly. “We’ve wasted enough time already. I want to get to the continent, and I’m not waiting to find another ship we can travel on anonymously.”

“You don’t understand I saw-” Jack’s voice was cut off by the sound of an explosion going of somewhere on deck.

“Sh*t! Come on!” Shouted Jack, grabbing Michael out the door. Michael wriggled out of his grasp and dashed back in the room. “What the f*ck are you doing?” Jack screamed. Michael emerged a second later holding the large decrepit book.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They dashed up the stairs onto the deck. A horrific scene met their eyes. The explosion had been a small one, but had gone off in the middle of a densely packed group of people. The devastation of life around them was impossible to take in all at once. To Michael, it seemed a horrific picture like something out of Bosch or Goya.

Taken individually each scene of awfulness was hard to take in. A man clutching his head, half his face normal, the other half a bloody, indistinguishable mess. A woman screaming and cradling the lifeless body of a child. A young boy clutching his groin and shrieking, while his parents tried to comfort him. An old man knocked on his back, desperately trying to shove a tangled mess of stringy organs back inside himself. A-

Michael tore his eyes away from the carnage. He didn’t know where to look, everyplace was filled with terrible images. Then the door to the bridge opened, and out came the crew, this time with assault rifles in their hands, and balaclavas on their heads.

Their leader came over to a group of those unaffected by the explosion that had gathered near Michael. The figure took off the balaclava and revealed the face of a woman. She had striking blue eyes that would have been breathtakingly beautiful in any other circumstance, but now served only to intimidate and terrorize the soul.

“That was a taste of what happens if you resist us,” she said in a Orleans accent. “You need to accept that the UFR now controls this ship, and its passengers.

With that she strode back into the bridge amid the cries of the wounded.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

duh, duh, DUH! And with that, I leave you till next time. :cool:

Great to see updates continuing so quickly after the autosave stuff! I have to say I laughed at this brief explanation...

Michael Loarn was jolted out of his stupor of reading by a large wave shoving the ship upwards quite suddenly. He suddenly realized he had been drifting in and out of sleep while reading, and some of the details had been quite wrong ( ;))

Although another explanation for Michael getting things wrong could simply be; 'Michael's drink addled mind had failed to understand things correctly whilst reading from the book...', he is a Scotsman after all. Good stuff, very grim but vivid images provoked by this update. I'm looking forward to seeing what will happen with this UFR member.

Past and Present

Chapter 15

Malcolm Loarn was in what could be referred to as a pissy mood. His goddamned son had lived! Of course, it was his own arrogance that had allowed Michael to escape. It had just been a…a…a need to have the sonofabitch suffer! Anyway, it didn’t matter now. All that mattered was finding his son, and killing his son.

He was sitting by an enormous pool in one of his Highland estates. He couldn’t use the pool many times a year (this is Scotland remember), but he liked having it. Right now it was a horribly overcast day, and the pool remained as untouched as ever.

Arthur came up to the old man at a brisk pace wearing a crisp uniform.

“I have something you should see,” he said. “Three hours ago, we received the last signal from a ship off the coast of Southern Ireland. It was from the captain of the vessel, and he was reporting that the crew had mutinied and was taking over the ship. The last thing we heard was gunshots.”

“Why am I hearing about this?” Malcolm asked gruffly. “If it’s not about finding Michael, I don’t want to hear about it.”

“That’s just it.”

“What do you mean?”

Arthur silently held out the pictures he was holding in his hands. Malcolm took them and put on his glasses.

At first he couldn’t figure out what the first picture was showing. Then he was able to make out the grainy black and white photo. He could see the deck of a ship. There was a small group of people holding something in their hands, while a larger group was opposite them. It was obviously a hostage situation. The next photo was the close up of a man’s face on the ship.

“We got these after the distress signal was heard,” Arthur explained. “We sent a drone out to photograph the situation. We started trying to enhance the faces of everyone on board to make sure there weren’t any irregularities before sending in a spec ops team.”

“And then you found this.”

“Yes.”

“Have the terrorists made any demands yet?”

“We haven’t been contacted yet,” said Arthur. “However it’s only a matter of time.”

Malcolm looked at the face of his son thoughtfully for a minute. “We will have to handle this delicately.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oooooooohhh snap!

Anyway, sorry for the long pause in updates. I was following the pre-release of Civ5. Now that it's out, I'll hopefully be able to update frequently again. Lets just say it's a good thing my laptop couldn't handle civ's demo very well, or this AAR might have died an unfortunate death. :eek:

Anyway, sorry for the long pause in updates. I was following the pre-release of Civ5. Now that it's out, I'll hopefully be able to update frequently again. Lets just say it's a good thing my laptop couldn't handle civ's demo very well, or this AAR might have died an unfortunate death. :eek:

I know exactly what you mean, I'm a massive Civilization fan myself! I've been spending rather too much time playing Civ5... Anyway good stuff, you can clearly tell Malolm Loarn has been a leader for so long; he is utterly ruthless. I'm very intrigued as to how he will handle this situation, things are very interestingly poised.

Past and Present

Chapter 16

Things on the boat had been surprisingly boring for the past couple of hours. Boring wasn’t a word that normally goes with terrorist kidnappings, but there you have it. Michael had tried to read the book in his hands, but he just wasn’t able in the circumstances.

Suddenly, something happened. The door to the cabin flung open, and the lead terrorist stepped out. She looked thoughtfully at the terrified crowd of people huddled on the deck.

“We will soon be relaying demands to the Scottish government,” she said dispassionately. “every hour they are ignored, we will kill one of you. Unfortunately for you, we must show them we are serious.”

Without further ado, she grabbed the wrist of an elderly lady and dragged her onto the deck. She raised her gun to the back of the screaming woman’s head. She squeezed halfway on the trigger-

“NO!”

It was Michael. Quick as a flash he bolted up and put a hand on the assault rifle.

“Who the f*ck are you?” The terrorist asked incredulously.

“I’m Michael Loarn.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a little quick hitter for you guys today. I've really got to find the resolve to keep writing at this point, and the best way to do that is to simply force myself to write more :rolleyes:

Very good stuff. Now I look forward to seeing what Loarn's plan is, having handed himself over to terrorists. Hopefully he does not simply take the place of the elderly woman...

Sorry for continual breaks in updates. :( I really need someone to berate me often so I'm forced to write more. ;)

Anyway, I hope to have an update soon. (I'm posting this mostly so I feel compelled to write.)

Sorry for continual breaks in updates. :( I really need someone to berate me often so I'm forced to write more. ;)

Anyway, I hope to have an update soon. (I'm posting this mostly so I feel compelled to write.)

You need someone to berate you, eh? I'd feel quite the hypocrite to be demanding an update from anyone after my many considerable breaks from my own AARs, but nonetheless...GIEF UPDATE NOW PLX. Joking aside, don't rush things, you have to work at your own pace, I'm very much looking forward to the next update though.

You need someone to berate you, eh? I'd feel quite the hypocrite to be demanding an update from anyone after my many considerable breaks from my own AARs, but nonetheless...GIEF UPDATE NOW PLX. Joking aside, don't rush things, you have to work at your own pace, I'm very much looking forward to the next update though.

Whatever pace I work at, it will be the same crap as always as you'll soon see:

(What I've cleverly done here is forced myself to deliver the update I'm working on soon ;))

Past and Present

Chapter 17

Jack couldn’t believe how much of an idiot Michael could be. It seemed like Michael standing up was in slow motion. Jack felt like he could have gotten to him in time and stopped him if he had had just one more second. Then he heard what Michael had to say.

“You stupid sonofabitch,” Jack muttered under his breath. He ran through his options, and saw nothing to do but stay seated and hope Michael didn’t just get himself killed. Then Michael did another stupid thing, he tried to hand the diary off to Jack.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The terrorist ended up taking both of them and the book into one of the ship’s cabins. She left two of her followers outside to guard them, and she shut the door.

She turned around to the two men with a look of pure disdain. “Talk, now.”

“I am Michael Loarn rightful heir to the Scottish throne, and this is my companion Jack Strahm,” Michael started confidently. “It’s actually an amazing coincidence meeting you here, you are just the people we were heading to see.”

“What in the hell are you talking about?” The terrorist was visibly taken aback. “Why would you come to see us?”

“Well you see I wanted to join you,” the ex-prince answered. “I think I have knowledge that would be of great use to you.”

She didn’t know what to say. After a moment she said, “Even if you are Michael Loarn, which I don’t believe, why would you want to join the UFR? What possible use could you be? Why shouldn‘t we just ransom you off to your family, or better yet just kill you.”

“I want the throne that’s rightfully mine, without going into embarrassing detail I have had a bit of a falling out with my father. He wouldn’t give you sh*t for me, killing me would just do him a favor

“If I helped you, you would have my intricate knowledge of all of Scotland’s defense, intelligence, counter-terrorist, and spec-ops forces. Along with this, if I get back on my throne, I’ll make France whole again, that’s what you want, right? It can have it’s own currency, financial institutions, trade, whatever.

“Do we have a deal?”

She looked at him long and hard. They stared deeply in each other’s eyes, it was almost an intimate look. There was a sudden understanding. She could read people, and she knew instinctively he wasn’t lying. She wasn’t stupid though.

“If you come with us, you’ll have to prove what your saying is true. If you cross us once, or your ‘information’ is inaccurate once- I think you know the rest.”

“I understand you perfectly.”

“I’ll start getting one of the life rafts readied so we can depart soon. I want to be off this boat soon.” Without another word she turned and left the room.

Jack sat in stunned silence. He finally worked himself up enough to speak, “What in the hell were you think-”

Michael was already back to reading:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once again I find creative ways to give Michael some much needed reading time ;).

I love that come what may, Michael always finds time to read from the diary. I'm imagining a future updates something like; 'Bullets were flying through the air, Michael had narrowly avoided the explosion from a grenade blowing up near to where he lay. It was the wrong time, clearly this was a dangerous situation, but he simply had to dip into the diary once again...' Good stuff though, as ever, and hopefully with the backing of the UFR, Michael can exact revenge upon his father. Although since it is Scotland he is fighting against, frankly he could gather a group of old aged pensioners, and easily best a drunk filled Scottish army!

I love that come what may, Michael always finds time to read from the diary. I'm imagining a future updates something like; 'Bullets were flying through the air, Michael had narrowly avoided the explosion from a grenade blowing up near to where he lay. It was the wrong time, clearly this was a dangerous situation, but he simply had to dip into the diary once again...' Good stuff though, as ever, and hopefully with the backing of the UFR, Michael can exact revenge upon his father. Although since it is Scotland he is fighting against, frankly he could gather a group of old aged pensioners, and easily best a drunk filled Scottish army!

'Michael's arm was just blown off by the advancing hordes of Scots as world-ending ICBM's were being launched in the background. But realizing it was only a flesh wound, he knew he had the time to read a bit more about his ancestors :D'

It didn't take long for me to realize I would have to have Michael read in ridiculous circumstances, but if I didn't this would cease to be an AAR at all ;).

well that is a neat twist ... a wee poem about a 'parcel of rogues in a nation' comes to mind ...

Thank you for your continued readership. I'm sure you know that comments from readers are everything :)

Past and Present

Chapter 18:

1073:

November 11: My standing among my peers is not what it could be. Many nobles back in Scotland say that I’m spending so much time in Ireland because I want to become one of them!

As a result, I’ve been working very hard over the past month and a half. I have done everything in my power to ensure that my reputation will soon be intact again. I will not go into the dirty and shameful details, I will only say that I am once again one of the most prestigious men in Scotland.

December 15: Yesterday my wife, the spy mistress came to me with a plot most wicked. She advised me that this was a perfect opportunity to get rid of my bastard child. I was reluctant to go through with such a vile task, but I eventually relented! Now the child is dead and I have a great shadow hanging over my head.

December 17: Oh God in his almighty wisdom has certainly seen my evil dead against an innocent child. I have had an illness for a great while now. Today it has made me blind! As of now this diary will have to be written by my trusted spy mistress, as he is the only one who knows all of my secrets, secrets which will be entrusted in this diary.
News has also reached us that his Holiness Pope Anselm of Lucca has called for a holy war to retake the sacred city of Jerusalem from the vile heathens now in possession of it. I wish I could participate, but I must continue on my mission from God, blindness or not. He has punished me for veering from my destiny, and I must not stray from His plan again!

1074:

January 28: I have used my prestigious standing among Scottish and Irish noblemen to secure a claim on the County of Mide in the middle of the Emerald Isle. It amounted to something as simple as telling those who would care, that Mide is rightfully mine and I claim it for Argyll and for Scotland. Some have not been as receptive to such an announcement, but not enough for me to worry. War is coming! I only regret I will not be able to see any of it (though I will still lead an army as my marshal is woefully incompetent).

February 3: The regiments in Argyll and my vassal’s county have been raised. As planned, I am leading the main regiment. We are setting sail for Ireland, once we land we will raise our Irish regiments and have a short little war.

March 5: My wife is not writing what I have to say now, as we have had a falling out of sorts. My marshal and brother-in-law is now recording what I have to say. I have informed him of all that has transpired that is less than savory, and he is now my confidant. Any more dealings with my wife will be purely for procreation.

May 28: We have landed, and a pleasant surprise awaited us. The Irish regiments had already been raised by some thoughtful soul. We have amassed into a host and have begun the march toward Mide.

After my blindness, the prospect of war holds no excitement for me anymore. No more will I see the glories of men fighting man. Seeing rock rained from above bringing death at random, a thousand triumphs and defeats swirling in a jumbled mass that only the gifted can make sense of, a place of victory and defeat. No more.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This update marks the first time I have had to cheat to achieve my goals for this AAR. I could have waited on prestige to rise again, but I couldn't chance Maelsnachtan dying, as that would make his legend in Michael's eyes ring false. Still, it makes me sad i had to resort to f12 :(

sounds like you're in danger of running out of loyal scribes

If it helps the story along I can't see much wrong in an acknowledged bit of fiddling around - bit different if you're doing a world conquest gameplay one but great for a narrative like this

Any more dealings with my wife will be purely for procreation.

This line made me smile. Its good to see (wrong choice of word perhaps...) that Maelsnechtan is enjoying a typically happy Scottish marriage! I love that the blind Maelsnechtan is still a more able and competent military commander than your Marshal.

This update marks the first time I have had to cheat to achieve my goals for this AAR. I could have waited on prestige to rise again, but I couldn't chance Maelsnachtan dying, as that would make his legend in Michael's eyes ring false. Still, it makes me sad i had to resort to f12 :(

As loki so rightly pointed out; I wouldn't worry, this is a narrative AAR rather than a gameplay one, thus its not a great problem. Anyway its quite clear you would have be able to attack Mide within time, things are simply being prompted along a little quicker. Anyway, good stuff, a very funny update.