• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Heeeeeeeeeeeere's David!

Past and Present

Chapter 24

Michael was massively relieved at the continuation, but he noticed a different writing style immediately…

1011:

April 23: Hello, I am David Loarn, King of Scotland and Ireland. My father, Maelsnechtan Loarn, died just two days ago. On his deathbed, he gave me this diary, and told me to continue his legacy. I have spent all my time reading it, and I have been enthralled. I must say, I am also scandalized. In addition to reading, I have taken the liberty of excising parts that I deemed unsuitable, and what was left in was quite enough!
I am also shocked at how my father was when he was younger. For as long as I can remember, he was a broken man. He had little drive or ambition, and was only pushed towards any goals by what he felt was God’s guiding hand.
However, to the point, I have had to remove much was important, and I will discuss in brief important points of my father’s reign: When I was eight, my father had consolidated almost all of Eire, when I was ten, he controlled all of it. On February 4, 1083 my Father broke free of Scotland and crowned himself king of Ireland; as my father had always been loyal, the parting was amiable. However, two years later, war was declared on Scotland; on March 25, 1086, my father gained his second crown, pity he never could see his gains.
Despite this, my father was a coward at heart. He owned Ireland and Scotland, but refused to take England on directly. He merely took a bit at a time, nibbling at the edges; whenever a count or duke rebelled from English rule, he was always taken into Scottish arms quickly. Eventually, my father gained the dukedom of Gwynedd, but still he did not go after the Norman beast.
Reading this diary, I see that it was his blindness, and my witch of a mother that drove Maelsnechtan Loarn to cowardice. Reading what he wrote during his younger years; he was full of valor. I wish I could have been his son at an earlier point so I could have seen this lion. Alas, it was not to be.
Well, I will be the man my father was! I am going to give England a fright it has never known; let it feel Scottish force of arms. I am David Loarn, 29 year old king of Scotland, and I vow to leave my son another crown for his collection.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I really hope that that was the last unexplained hiatus I have to take. Anyway, happy St. Patrick's Day, happy birthday to me, and happy hopeful continuation of this story.

Very good stuff, glad to see this updated once more. David may think him a coward but Maelsnechtan's strategy of slowly acquiring England via exploiting weaknesses seems sensible and he has managed to gain the throne of Ireland and Scotland, Great Britain could soon be David's due to his work! David himself seems a bit more adventurous, thus I rather think the realm is going to grow quite considerably which bodes well.

A very happy birthday to you, I hope it has been wonderful!

Past and Present

Chapter 25

Michael was brought out of his reading mode by the slamming of a car door. He suddenly realized they had been traveling by car for some time, and they must be somewhere in France.
“This is where we walk,” came Lise’s voice.
They were in a forest somewhere, and it was dark; the weather was clear, but bitingly cold. They trudged along in silence. At one point they stopped and three figures stepped out of nowhere and confronted the group, seeing Lise’s presence, they allowed them to pass. After another half hour of walking, they came upon a clearing.
It was filled with crude barracks-like buildings, as well as housing a helipad with a chopper on it. The sun had just started peaking up from the East when they reached the center of the makeshift town. The place was already stirring as men and women ran around putting camouflage coverings over most of the buildings, and the helipad.
One building drew the eye more than any other. It was bigger, and more sturdily built housing a second story. They approached it, and two guards armed with assault rifles allowed them entry.
They were greeted by a bustling command room filled with maps, computers, and people planning on them. Lise was saluted by all the people she passed until she came upon a door at the back of the command center.
They entered the room and there sat a middle-aged man in para-military garb with a handlebar mustache and graying hair. He had obviously let himself go, sitting at a desk all day, but there was the suggestion of a frame that had once been formidable. He was going over papers on his desk until he saw the group approach. Lise stood at perfect attention with a rigid salute; the man got up and returned it with similar crispness.
He looked over Michael and Jack with appraising eyes, “Lise, sont ces nouvelles recrues?”
“Non, ce n'est Michael Loarn, et son compagnon Jack Strahm. Pour eux, je propose que nous passer à l'anglais, monsieur.” Lise replied.
The man seemed completely unfazed by the incredible news, “Well Lise, are these our prisoners, or…something else.”
“Something else, sir.”
Lise’s superior looked at Michael for quite a while; he seemed to be judging the prince, and not just physically. He finally spoke, “To what do we owe the pleasure, Michael Loarn?”
“I’m here to help you.”
“And why would you do that?”
“My father has seen fit to kick me off the throne in favor of a bastard child; if you help me regain my rightful throne, I will liberate France from all obligations to Scotland, and unite all the duchies under a single French ruler.”
The man looked at Michael once again under a scrutinizing light. After a pause; “Very well, but we will require a test of loyalty first.

------------------------------------------------

No, I don't speak French ;)

just caught up, so very belated birthday wishes ... do like the change of tone to David, he seems a bit full of himself so it'll be fascinating to see if he can deliver on this promises. Second post continues to intrigue .... as to the French pretty good but there is a missing 'pas' in there (how's that for pedantry)

This test of loyalty sounds interesting if understandable. I have to wonder what ordeals Michael will have to face before gaining some trust from the group.

..........er.....ummm.........I've....been...in a...coma....yeah, that's it! Now that I'm out of it, updates will return!................hopefully

Last edited:
Five days later and still no return?! We demand updates! Pretty please.

Past and Present

Chapter 26

Arthur had had a less than pleasant six weeks after the boat incident. Most of it had involved trudging through France on one wild goose chase after another. But now, all that work was coming to fruition! He was about to head into a crowded tavern filled with rowdy patrons. Though it was a risk, he was going alone; meeting with a UFR traitor was rarely easy, he didn't want to scare him off.
The tavern was dimly lit and filled with smoke; Arthur didn't see his man yet, so he sat down to wait. Eventually, a small ratty man entered the bar. He wore a gaudy feathered cap on his head, which signaled Arthur. The small man sat at the bar and ordered a drink. As he waited, Arthur went up to him and sat down on the vacant stool next to him.
"Evening"
"What's the signal?" The man asked nervously.
"I'm bringing the bagpipes to Baghdad."
The man visibly relaxed, but only slightly, "Look, I can't stay here long; as soon as my drink comes, we should leave. I'll explain more when we get outside."
"No, talk now," said Arthur gruffly.
"Man, this is dangerous enough as it is; do it my way, or you don't get your information.
"Fine, but make this quick."
They sat in silence till the man got his drink. He downed it quickly, and they got up and left. The air outside was biting, and they moved quickly.
"Now, talk," said Arthur.
"Soon, just come down this alley here."
He led Arthur down a side alley and stopped suddenly in the middle of it.
"Now, tell me whatever information you have," Arthur commanded.
Instead of talking, the man made some sort of hand signal. Before he had time to react, five other men burst out of the shadows clad in balaclavas and carrying rifles. They tackled Arthur to the ground, restrained him, and threw him in the back of a van in less than 30 seconds, before disappearing into the night. The man from the bar got into the van and drove it off.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael was growing impatient. He had been in the camp for over a month, and still this "test of loyalty" had not been proffered. He was beginning to suspect the terrorists would simply keep him to use as a bargaining chip at some point. He spent his days doing very little anything; even reading the diary was impossible, as it had been confiscated, a fact that still enraged Michael.
This morning he was working out a bit, when suddenly Ilse came into the room. "It's time for you to start showing us if you're serious about helping us."
He was led through the camp, to a shack on the edge of the clearing. Inside was dark with no windows; the only illumination coming from a single bulb in the ceiling. The only people inside were Ilse, himself, and someone tied to a chair with a bag over his head. He was obviously conscious, but was gagged in some way because he moved but made no noise.
"Here," Ilse said as she offered something to Michael. After grabbing it, he realized it was a pistol. It was clear what was being implied, but he played dumb for a moment. After a second Ilse gestured toward the man in the chair, "Shoot the bastard."
"Who is he?"
"An enemy, it doesn't matter who."
"It matters to me."
She paused for a moment, "Then I guess we can't trust you."
He looked at her for a moment before turning back to the restrained man. He could clearly hear the conversation, as he had started squirming around when Ilse said to shoot him. Michael thought hard for a second. It wasn't that he had qualms about killing exactly, but this seemed off. He hadn't seen Jack in a while; what if they had put him here? This man could be anyone, he couldn't kill him without knowing; he dropped the gun. "I can't"
She gazed at him for a second, and seemed to make a decision. "Then," she said slyly, "you'll never get your crown back."
It was the one thing that might have effected him. The thought of the wealth and power...irresistible. He raised the gun almost immediately and fired into the man's chest, once. The body convulsed for a second and started going into violent spasms. He fired again, and again, working up a fury, till the clip was spent and the man's torso was ripped to shreds.
Ilse looked extremely pleased; she went over to the man and whipped off the hood. Michael saw immediately who it was; Arthur. Relief flooded his body; this was someone he would have gladly killed anyway. In fact, he felt elated.
Ilse quickly ushered him back to his room, "Good." She was smiling, "Now you'll be given a chance to prove yourself in the field. After that, we'll work on putting you on the throne."
She was about to leave, when Michael called out, "Can I have the diary back?"
She paused for a moment, and seemed to argue about it in her head. After a while she came to a decision, "Alright, after today's display, you've earned it."

-----------------------------------

I wrote this quite a while ago, so I'm not 100% on what's going on. Such is life when you stop working on something for months.

Anyway, I'm hoping that I'll find the resolve to use the free time Summer has granted me and actually make some headway in the game and the story.

Last edited:
Past and Present

Chapter 27

1101:

April 30: I am settling into my father’s job, and I am realizing that a lot of this work will consist of waiting. For the present, we must wait to be able to muster the forces that will be needed to take on England.

May 2: It has come to my court’s attention that a large part of my inheritance rested in vassals in Wales. They had never been paid much attention by my father, but sufficient land is owned to safely call myself king of Wales. I put forth the necessary expenditure and find myself ruler of three kingdoms.

May 18: No sooner am I crowned King of Wales, then my vassals in the region start trouble. They have attacked England itself, and I find myself compelled to honor my commitment to my subjects. It seems my reign will not consist of much waiting at all.

June 3: The armies have been raised and are on their way; by sea from Ireland, and by land from Scotland. I will not have much to write until we have reached our destinations.

September 29: I have made landfall with the armies of Ireland in Cornwall and we have besieged the area. However, I have learned that a vassal of mine is the count of Sussex, and upon hearing his liege was at war, he took it upon himself to raise his army and march on London. Apparently, he is close to taking the capital all on his own!

October 12: Our armies from Scotland, led by my marshal, are close to securing Durham for us, and will soon move onto besieging York. So far, even without adequate preparation, I have found it incredibly easy to whip these sorry English dogs. And to think how afraid my father was, ha!

November 24: I have decided this is as good a time as any to declare myself a claimant on the English throne. Given all I have accomplished and all I control, none argue that it is a legitimate claim. Now I just have to finish this war.

January 22: My marshal died fighting a duel with the leader of a bunch of roaming Saxons. Normally this would be a great blow, but right now all I can concentrate on is waiting for England to surrender it’s crown.

January 26: SUCCESS!!!! Robert of England agreed to my terms today, I am now the King of England. I need some time to get a hold of my elation, I will write more later.

------------------------------------------------

I'm as surprised as you are I have another update out, let alone one were I actually play the game.

that was to the point ... so Michael's ancestors are now Kings of Ireland, Scotland, Wales & England? ... next stop the rest of Western Europe? Can see why the mere matter of cold blooded murder didn't worry M as long as he got his fix of the diary ...

Interesting to see how far Michael is willing to go so as to claim the throne, just as well it was someone such as Arthur under the hood. The most recent update is impressive stuff, even with Scotland, Ireland and Wales defeating England is no easy task, very well done.

ummmm......Michael was interrupted in his reading by loud explosions coming from all around him. When he looked up, he realized the world was being invaded by aliens who proceeded to wipe out civilization.

The End.

Obviously this is the satisfying conclusion I was building up to so long ago.

quite agree, when out of plot send in the aliens. Well this was a good ride and I really liked the double time line so hope to see a new AAR from you sometime soon

I cannot agree more, the double time line was a very innoative idea which worked well. A pity this has come to an end but perhaps in time for a CK2 AAR from you, Threedog?

Well yes, the main reason that I the reason I even thought about coming back to this in any way was the release of the CK2 demo. I see myself doing something similar with it once its been released.