• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Past and Present

Chapter 6:

Jack Strahm was one of those Scots who hated Scotland. It was quite funny because he looked so much like a Scot, with wild red hair, and a big body with broad shoulders.

At the moment he was staying in a small home in Ireland that gave him easy access to the helicopter that he owned and operated. He was making quite a living giving rides to the populace, though he hardly needed it (saving the heir to the most powerful throne in the world does wonders for your financial stability).

He was working on the chopper, when his cell started ringing somewhere. He barely looked up from what he was doing, it could hardly be important enough. It finally stopped ringing, and he could concentrate again.

Of course, it started ringing again almost immediately. Sighing he walked around looking for the damn phone. It took him to the last ring to finally find the thing.

He flipped it open, “Hello?”

“Jack!” Came a strained reply. “You’ve got to help me!”

“Who the hell is this?”

“It’s Michael Loarn, ple-”

“Michael Loarn? Why didn’t you say so, what do you need?”

“Please come to the castle, where you came to Christmas in ‘06.”

“Sure, when do you need me.”

“In an hour.”

“Jesus, that doesn’t give me a lot of time!”

“I know, just hurry, I’ll explain when you get down here. And bring first aid supplies.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was no time for Jack to drive down, so he had to take the chopper. He took off as soon as he could, and was on his way to the castle in Ulaid. The flight went smoothly and he was able to land on the landing pad that had been added to the castle recently.

As he landed, he noticed something odd, but he couldn’t put his finger on it. As he walked to the main area of the castle, he realized what it was, the place was deserted. No guards asking him who he was, no line of non-descript black cars, not even the snipers on the towers.

He wandered throughout the castle, but saw no sign of anyone. He finally called out, “Michael! Where the hell are you?”

He heard something faint from behind one door. He tried the handle but it was locked. He smashed his shoulder into it, but it barely budged. He tried again, and it gave a little. He tried one more time, and made it almost all the way though. He slammed his weight into the door one more time and tumbled into the room, and the horrible sight awaiting him.

Michael Loarn laid on the floor of the room covered in blood. He was grasping at his stomach, and looked about ready to pass out.

Jack took no time and immediately knelt down with the first aid kit. He took Michael’s hands away and looked at the hole. He wiped blood away, and saw he had to get the bullet out immediately. He took out forceps and reached into the hole. He grabbed out a shard of the bullet, and felt Michael abruptly tense up. He reached in again and grabbed out another large shard.

He was pretty sure there wasn’t anything left of the bullet inside, but the wound was still bleeding badly. He had to cauterize it. The kit had a cauterizer so he set it up to heat up.

It was done in 5 minutes. Jack took up the rod and stuck it into the bullet hole. This seemed to wake Michael up, who suddenly shot up and screamed in pain. Jack had to keep him down and held the cauterizer in.

Finally it was done. Jack bandaged the wound, as Michael finally passed out. Jack laid him on a couch in the room, and waited for him to wake up. This had been one hell of a Sunday!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Though i should use this space to remark on my appalling lack of medical knowledge, that should already be apparent to anyone reading.
Rather, I would like to say that next update we will finally get around to the reason this is an AAR, Maelsnechtan :p

Jack Strahm was one of those Scots who hated Scotland.

Sounds like every Scot I know!

Good stuff, looks like Jack got there just in time. I'm rather looking forward to reading about the gameplay itself, finding out how the Loarn's became so dominant.

Sounds like every Scot I know!

Good stuff, looks like Jack got there just in time. I'm rather looking forward to reading about the gameplay itself, finding out how the Loarn's became so dominant.

I'm rather looking forward to figuring out how to do that when the Loarns can't go anywhere in my games :(

Past and Present

CHAPTER 7:

3 hrs later-

Michael woke up in pain. He looked around and saw Strahm sitting in a chair, dozing. Disoriented, he tried to get up, but the pain was too great and he slumped back down.

“You’re awake already!” Exclaimed a surprised Jack. “What the hell happened here? Where is everyone? Why were you shot?”

“We’ve got to get out of here,” Michael said weakly. “Get me out.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was a struggle to get his body to the chopper, but they eventually managed through a mixture of carrying and limping. Jack quickly went through pre-flight checks, and was about to take off when Michael shouted, “No!”

He had to go back into a secluded room and pick up an old book with handwritten script. Jack brought it back to the helicopter, and they were finally able to leave.

On the flight Michael tried to keep himself away, but was drawn to the words of his ancestor and fought the pain and jostling to read the book. Jack kept his mouth shut, but he was going to get answers when they landed!

What exactly Michael reads will be coming later today or tomorrow at the latest (I apologize for lying about that coming in this update :( ). I am sorry for the lack of updates, and I am grateful to my faithful readers (reads: one person taking pity). :)

Past and Present

Chapter 7 part 2

1067:

November 16: Tragedy! My wife has had a miscarriage! Oh unhappy day! I curse the name of God and his son on this day. I don’t know how I can go on if my wife passes too.

November 25: My dear wife has consoled me. I have calmed, and I can return to considerations for my plans of conquest!

December 6: My Marshal Gillemore Livingston and I have completed our plans for the invasion of Ulaid, and we will be underway by March!

1068:

March 7: In a week my men and I will be off in one week! I know we will be successful, God is with us and we cannot fail!

March 10: To avoid scandal, should someone happen to read this journal, I will withhold the details of last night. Suffice to say it was the last night I am to spend with my wife for many months, If she is not pregnant again there is no God! I am happy again.

March 14: We’re off! My three provinces have mustered all the men we can, and we have set sail for Ireland! Now, Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war! ( ;) )

March 30: I have received troubling word, my king Malcolm has seen fit to join me in my venture to Ulaid. He will provide useful troops, but I am worried he will try to take command of the siege.

July 18: Battle! The armies have spent the day maneuvering into position, and tomorrow we will engage in bloody battle. During the day one man by the name of Ruadri ably distinguished himself, by risking life and limb to scout the enemy positions. Thanks to his efforts, we know the full composition of the enemy. Ruadri is a welcome addition to the royal court.

July 28: After 10 days, the battle is won, the victory total. For the first few days there was mostly skirmishing, with the Irish taking advantage of the hilly area to make up for what they lacked in numbers. We took a few casualties, but nothing major. On the 16th we finally met in proper battle.

It was glorious! I rode with the nobleman down a steep hill, with the sun behind us. Our archers had let loose a major volley and we rushed to hit their line before they could recover. Our infantry then poured in on the sides. We forced through their front lines quickly enough. All our cavalry shoved through the hole and turned in on the backs of the Irish infantry. Their one chance had been to hit our own flanks with their cavalry but our valiant archer regiments saw the danger. My marshal had half of them fire, while the rest rushed the cavalry with nothing but the daggers they carried.

Those men had to endure not only brutal fighting with men on horseback, but our own men’s arrows as well! They were the true heroes of the day. Of course, I knew none of this, as I was busy slaughtering the enemy’s infantry. The next days were spent trying to round up as many of the other side as we could, but a couple hundred got away.

Now, for the siege!

Well, would you look at that. I certainly wrote that quickly! Hopefully the "quality" that has been so prevalent (;)) will still be present in such a rushed thing. :)

Last edited:
I am sorry for the lack of updates, and I am grateful to my faithful readers (reads: one person taking pity). :)

Piffle! Taking pity my backside, this is proving a very enjoyable read. Great to see some gameplay now.

March 30: I have received troubling word, my king Malcolm has seen fit to join me in my venture to Ulaid. He will provide useful troops, but I am worried he will try to take command of the siege.

I hate this too. Or when your liege makes a whitepeace with your enemy, just as you are about to complete the siege. Having won the battle, I hope you prove similarly victorious with the siege.

New update coming pretty soon :).

Edit: Ummmm.... I lied, but the exciting news has inspired me and an update should be out today.

I hope :)

Last edited:
Past and Present

Chapter 8:

1068:

August 2: Armies from Scotland proper have arrived, but fortune is with me. Malcolm does not control the army himself, and control of the siege is mine!

August 6: Today emissaries from the besieged castle came forward under flag of truce and offered monetary tribute for peace. While tempting, I need the land and will press forward.

September 25: I have learned something over these past weeks. Battle is an amazing, glorious rush. Sieges are works of Satan.

There is nothing glorious about sitting around starving a populace. They may be the ones being starved, but we do not have it easy. This is not a rich countryside resulting in much starvation of our own. The men are losing faith, if this does not end soon we may have a rebellion.

October 8: Today we were attacked by a pitiful force of 180, we suffered no casualties. If anything this helped us, as it got the men back into a fighting spirit.

November 15: Finally! The event we have been waiting for has come. This day the castle surrendered control of the province, and their entire treasury to me.

Today the Scots have entered Ireland!

Michael’s reading was interrupted by the touchdown of the helicopter. He got out and followed Jack into a Spartan living room. He sat down while Jack got some coffee going. Michael was about to start reading, when Jack came into the room.

“No!” Jack exclaimed suddenly. “You’re not reading that goddamned book! I want answers, and I want them now!”

“Fine,” said Michael quietly. He explained the events that had transpired in half an hour.

“So what are you going to do now?”

“I don’t know.” Michael said. “What can I do?”

“You can’t stay here obviously.”

“Obviously.”

“You could go to the Americas and disappear.”

“And let my father win? That slimy bastard is getting what he deserves.”

“Well what then?”

“Well, I did have one thought.”

“Yes?”

“We could go down into one of the French countries.”

“We?”

“Yes, we,” Michael said coldly. “You’ve already helped me, you can’t stay here any more than I can.”

“I see your point.”

“Good.”

“Why France though?” asked Jack. “Your father still wins.”

“Not if I join the UFR.”

“The UFR, you can’t be serious.”

“I am.”

Excerpt from the Glasgow Times, July 2012

Yesterday tragedy struck in the former French country of Orleans. Several high ranking Scottish officials, who were on an undisclosed assignment, were killed in a bomb blast. The explosion killed over 20 Orleans civilians, in addition to over 80 wounded.

Claiming responsibility for the attack was the terrorist group the Unify the French Resistance. The UFR surfaced a few months ago with the Normandy killings, in which over 40 Scottish government workers stationed in Normandy were killed within a few hours of each other.

The UFR’s main goal is the unification of all the terrorist groups based in France. They claim that once they achieve this aim, all of France can come under one government for the first time in over 450 years.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm super excited at the big news! :D

Last edited:
I don't know about you guys, but I'm super excited at the big news! :D

I'm utterly delighted that CK2 has been announced as well! 2012 cannot come quickly enough...

A very nice update, the Loarn family's rise to power has begun in earnest with the capture of the province. Quite intrigued by this UFR. Not surprised people are rebelling against Scottish rule though... If I could make a small request; please include the year alongside the dates in the diary entries if you could. Or at least say the year and then have the months listed after that until the next year comes. I'd be much obliged.

If I could make a small request; please include the year alongside the dates in the diary entries if you could. Or at least say the year and then have the months listed after that until the next year comes. I'd be much obliged.

:eek:o I've been meaning to do that all along. I'll have it fixed soon.

Past and Present

Chapter 9:

“Are you f*cking insane?” Came Jack incredulously.

“Why not?”

“Many, many, many reasons,” said Jack. “But the big one is that your last name is Loarn. Do you really think a resistance group is going to consider keeping you alive, let alone letting you join?”

“We can disguise ourselves. They don’t have to know exactly who I am. We can play dissatisfied Irishmen. I know you wouldn’t have trouble with that part.”

“We? There is no ‘we’ in this. I’ll take you to France, but I’m not getting involved with a bunch of loonies who are likely to kill us immediately.”

“I know you wouldn’t turn something down like this. It’s the adventure of a lifetime.”

Jack stared at Michael for a good minute. Michael smiled at his friend, and the inevitable happened.

“Goddamn it to hell.”

Just a quick hitter for now. I have to keep my interest in writing up, so here you go. ;)

A Scotsman wishing to join his most deadly enemies? That never happens, of course! I look forward to seeing how the UFR deal with them.

Past and Present

Chapter 10

3 days later:

They had finally gotten a boat they could discreetly ride to France in. It was a large ship that had been converted from a fishing vessel. Though the trip was short in length, it would take them 2 days to reach the continent, due to the scheduling of the ship.

Jack and Michael decided to remain in their quarters, and to have their meals sent for, so as to attract little attention. Much to Jack’s annoyance, Michael thought this was a perfect time to delve back into Maelsnechtan’s tale.

1068 ;).

November 16: God has surely smiled on my ventures. The expansion of my soon to be kingdom has been quite easy, and I am sure that it will continue to be so!

December 3: I am too elated for words today! For this morning has seen the birth of my child. Not just a child, but a son! A son! Someone to carry on my legacy. We have named him Kenneth. His birth has inspired me to greater deeds, as I want to leave him as much as possible for him to work with.

December 18: I have sent an offer of vassalization to the count of Tir Eoghain, but he has declined. Another offer was sent to the count of Tir Connail but I do not expect these simple Irishmen to understand the opportunity I am giving them.

January 1: It is a new year, and it has promised to be a great on.

January 4: As expected the count has declined my offer. This is a grave miscalculation on both their parts. I have taken it upon myself to fabricate yet more claims on the whole of Northern Ireland, and I expect I shall act upon them later this very year.

January 16: My wife is expecting another child. I have no doubt it will be a son as magnificent as Kenneth is.

March 1: Two things of importance have occurred. One is that today is the day we have completely worked off the debt that the war for Ulaid had created. The other is the raising of the Scottish regiments to set sail for Ulaid and then, forward!

Another little quick hitter :)

Forward indeed! Good stuff, as becoming King of Ireland (as I'd assume the goal is), seems a very good way to secure a reasonably strong and well positioned kingdom.

Past and Present

Chapter 11

1069:

June 4: Today we have arrived in Ulaid, and have begun to raise the regiments there for military service. I can feel battle coming already!

June 5:: Sinil Livingstone is my steward. I have come to hate him, as he has taken to doing nothing but badger me about the state of our finances, namely the debt. War has a way of causing debt, and this is no exception, though war has not been declared yet!

August 4: We have arrived in Tir Eoghain, and declared war.

August 20: Battle has been fought, and won! It was a far more difficult battle, but we persevered.

Our two armies finally became properly engaged on the 12th it was fought to a stalemate for five days in a row. Then on the 18th, after another seesaw day, I saw my opportunity. I rode with my personal guard into the middle of the mass of infantry and we cut down dozens. The men, who were low on morale, were heartened by our gallant effort. They pushed on, and the day was ours. I don’t see the thrill of battle ever palling.

October 14: I have been informed that a daughter has been born. I am a little disappointed hoping for another son, but I will still love and cherish this child. Unfortunately she has been given the monstrosity name, Godgifu, by her mother. I am not letting her name any more of the children.

December 16: An army from Scotland has arrived under the control of a courtier in the king’s court named Edgar. The troops are providing much needed relief to my own weary men.

December 25: Damnation! Sabotage has occurred back in Ulaid. The entire hill fort there was destroyed. I vow to rebuild one twice as magnificent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yet another quick hitter. Sharp eyed readers will notice something in this update :) if you think to much about it you will be disappointed when you find out what it is, as you will have wasted time. :cool:

Edit: Fixed my stupid error :)

Last edited:
Past and Present

Chapter 12:

1070:

January 1: I am spending the New Year in battle as we have been attacked by a small contingent of the enemy who survived the last battle. I’m not worried though, we should be done with the battle and the siege soon.

February 16: The siege has ended! I have vassalized the province and relinquished my claim on the province to show my magnanimous side. At this pace I will be king of Ireland in just a few years.

March 16: My wife has made it known to me that I am not doing enough to feed her ambitions. I do not understand, after all I have done, and all I am planning to do. I then find out that she has been pregnant for well more than a month. I had visited her a couple times during the siege, but I doubt that this baby is mine. I’m not sure what I’m going to do.

October 26: A son has been born that is purported to be mine. Seeing him I warm a little. He is a strong little bugger, and he seems likeable enough. I will reserve judgment until my spymistress provides evidence either way.

November 26: My steward has informed me of many ungrateful peasant’s in Sutherland that are refusing to pay any taxes because times are too rough. It is a great annoyance, but I am a modest and understanding man. Therefore I let them get away with it.

Besides I am now being lauded as a most merciful man.

December 25: My steward has now proposed confiscation of noblemen’s fiefs. I have denied this, and I am seriously considering a new steward.

1071:

January 1: I have replaced my steward with the equally skilled Sinil Livingstone. Hopefully he will be able to bring in the money to both fund the new Hill Fort in Ulaid, and the coming war with Tir Connail.

February 14: I am coming to like my new son. Enough to put his name down here: Eadred. He has too good a personality, too rambunctious, to not be my own son.

April 17: I have given the county of Sutherland to my faithful courtier Ruadri Grant. He is 54 years of age, and I felt he deserved a reward for his faithfulness over the years.

April 28: My steward has suggested that I personally take the census for higher accuracy. I have a sneaking suspicion that it is because he is simply lazy, but I agree. Lo and behold the realm more money, and Sinil did work tirelessly with me. I am grateful to have him.

October 29: I have sent my sister’s 5 year old boy, Malcolm, to the army. Hopefully he will serve whichever of his cousin’s that inherits the throne well.

December 6: The year is almost over. It has been pretty uneventful, but quite productive. I only hope that next year is as productive.

1072:

January 23: I am worried. As productive as Argyll is becoming, My steward has calculated it will take 3 years to work off the debt from the last war. He and my marshal have advised that we should simply go to war, and use income from that to get us back on our feet.

March 8: The preparations are completed. Our forces are underway on their journeys to Ireland. It pains me to think of the cost this is bringing on our already strained realm. Not to mention the fact that I am leaving my wife and children. I will miss them terribly. It will be hard not to worry over my wife’s fidelity at the same time.

April 15: I received word that Eadred has become afraid of the dark. I sent word to have him work it our on his own. If I can’t be there to help him, I don’t want someone messing it up.

May 17: My marshal has died of some unknown cause while on his troop’s ship. He has been replaced by the unfortunately incompetent Aedh, who is only in my court because he is married to my sister.

July 6: I have been informed that my wife is, again, pregnant. I haven’t seen her since I left, so depending on when the child is born I can be sure once and for all whether my wife is unfaithful. I pray to God it is not so.

July 23: We have landed in Ulaid and raised the regiments there. Onwards to battle!

July 29: I have become good friends with the Duke of Leinster. As his realm borders Ulaid, we have had chances at hunting trips, and have become firm friends.

August 27: We entered Tir Eoghain today. We are raising my vassal’s troops. War will be declared soon. I can feel excitement building in me. Glorious, glorious battle will soon be fought.

September 9: Bastards! The duchy of Conacht has declared war on my realm, after receiving news of my declaration of war.

October 1: Grave, grave news! The Pope in his infinite, infallible wisdom, has seen fit to put the burden of excommunication upon my shoulders. This troubles me only insofar as how it will damage my relationship with other rulers, for I am sure that I am destined anywhere but hell.

1073:

January 7: After repeated harassment by the weakened enemy forces, we have secured the siege. After forcing an oath of fealty, I move the army, with some misgivings, towards Connacht. I wish I could disband, as we are in enough debt as it is, but I need to settle this war as soon as possible.

February 27: After winning a brief, uninteresting battle, Connacht decided to give in. The gave us their entire treasury, which quartered the debt nicely.

April 4: My wife gave birth to a daughter named Joan. This child cannot be mine! I will keep silent about this matter for now, but I will confront my wife eventually!

October 11: My spymistress came to me a few days ago, and expressed concern about finding a husband. Remembering my wife and her acts of treachery, I decided to bed her myself. However I have realized it was a cruel thing to do, as I cannot compromise my position with the church more, and can no longer see her. This will haunt me for the rest of my days.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very good updates. An unfaithful spouse, excommunication, random deaths, infighting amongst courtiers and an expanding realm - all that is needed for a cracking game of CK! You are growing quickly, I just hope the excommunication does not serve to draw anyone into attacking you. Not least your liege...

Very good updates. An unfaithful spouse, excommunication, random deaths, infighting amongst courtiers and an expanding realm - all that is needed for a cracking game of CK! You are growing quickly, I just hope the excommunication does not serve to draw anyone into attacking you. Not least your liege...

Yes, I am rather pleased this was turning into a proper game of CK. Unfortunately, I have overwritten the save file due to my own stupidity :mad: :eek:o. I can't edit the newest save file, so I will have to resort to replaying as close to the original game as I can. I'm not sure what effect this will have on the AAR yet.

BTW Many thanks for the amazing plug in the Fan of the Week! :D