Paradox Short Story Contest 2014 - Rewrite History!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
All of our books are also available on the iBookstore in iTunes. And plenty more outlets are on the way. :)

Thanks, Tomas. I'll keep an eye then, my Sony reader doesn't eat kindleish docs and the author of the last ebook I bought in Amazon had to help me to reformat it, it was kind of weird. I think amazon doesn't accept to sell in other formats :)

Rise and Fall of the Irish (Band), One of the most powerful states in Europe!
I'm sad that this is only EUIV... in Crusader Kings 2 the Irish Band took over Andalusia and the Umayyad Sultanate (led by the Caliph of the Sunni faith), and the Sultanate of al-Andalus (which was also ruled by the Umayyads) had split in half and fought with each other as well as the Catholic Irish Band... the war took over 90 years and during the time many Irish went to Spain for a better life... eventually over the course of many worsening rulers of the Irish Band they were evicted from Spain and those who were left were persecuted. There are even some Sayyids who are Catholic-Irish in Ireland now... I could write so much on this!

But, I'm sure I can get something crazy in EUIV.

Last edited:
Hm, everything seems clear, but still I have a question: is it acceptable to use self-made graphics in stories? I imagine adding a map or two could make things better, but it might not be allowed in the end, for some reason, who knows?

So, the question is, are we allowed to include our graphics? Or would you prefer us to not to? It's a writing contest after all. I just want to make sure, you know.

I've got an idea involving Vlad the Impaler surviving his historical assassination during his 3rd reign, and proceeding to embark on an ultra-violent rampage of revenge across the Balkans. Not much of a writer, but I might give it a shot if I can find the time :D

I've got an idea involving Vlad the Impaler surviving his historical assassination during his 3rd reign, and proceeding to embark on an ultra-violent rampage of revenge across the Balkans. Not much of a writer, but I might give it a shot if I can find the time :D

That's not fiction. Haven't you ever heard of the vampire called Dracula? :rolleyes:

Hmm, might send in a submission, if I find the time and can break free of my bad habit to reduce everything I write to puns and cheap jokes.

BTW What alternate history authors are your favourites?
I loved 'The Years of Rice and Salt' by Kim Stanley Robinson, and 'The Man in the High Castle' by Philip K Dick

Hm, everything seems clear, but still I have a question: is it acceptable to use self-made graphics in stories? I imagine adding a map or two could make things better, but it might not be allowed in the end, for some reason, who knows?

So, the question is, are we allowed to include our graphics? Or would you prefer us to not to? It's a writing contest after all. I just want to make sure, you know.

Yes, as you say, it is a writing contest so the final stories will most likely be published without maps. If you want to send a map as well you are welcome to, but the text must stand on its own.:)

Fun stuff. :)

This is a very interesting initiative. But I have one question. What role is EUIV as a game going to play in these short stories?
I think we will have to get rid of many of the game's abstract concepts like cores, culture conversions, vassal feeding expansion to make the short stories look more realistic or is it fine if the stories may sound quite weird because they are based on a game with all of its concepts and limitations?
So how far can the game enter the story?

This is a very interesting initiative. But I have one question. What role is EUIV as a game going to play in these short stories?
I think we will have to get rid of many of the game's abstract concepts like cores, culture conversions, vassal feeding expansion to make the short stories look more realistic or is it fine if the stories may sound quite weird because they are based on a game with all of its concepts and limitations?

I'd like to know this too -- if only the period matters, that's one thing, but if we have to link it directly to the game somehow, that could be problematic.

The stories can of course be inspired by EU4 and EU4 sessions - that's the whole idea - but a reader should be able to understand them without knowing the game. The anthology will (hopefully :))be read by non-gamers too, so try to explain things in "layman's terms". :)