• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Re: Re: Chapter One, part VIII

Originally posted by T. Fournier
Well, they wouldn't be byzantines without too many plots for even the narrator to know them all, would they ? :D

I agree and Valdemar is doing a good job of showing the competing factions. Now I wonder what the two generals are planing. I guess I'll have to wait until the next post.:( :D

Joe

JaJ, thanks.

TF, well I know isn't that enough?:D

Sytass, Storey, thanks both, I did have sometrouble getting the dialoque right at the council meeting and thats what kept the second part from coming, there is stil at least one possibly two part to that meeting still.

I found it very difficult to build a flowong dialoque with all the participants without resolving to he said, she said, so I opted for something between descriptions and third person and inner thoughts to resolve it. I'm not completely satisfied, but more rewrites only makes it worse so for now that's it :D

V

Chapter One, part IX

Svend saw the searching look from Stefanos and nodded in accept, he would have to try and get a chance to talk with the foreign advisor before the meeting reconvened, for now he was stuck with the to army commanders. They walk across the palace grounds to the offices of the local troops. Aside from Svend’s Guard there was a large contingent of troops from the city defenses manning the walls toward the countryside.

The office of the officer in charge of the detail was quickly evacuated to allow for a more private setting for the three senior officers. While Filipo busied himself sending servants out for food and drink Svend slowly walked around the room. It was by far more lavishly decorated than his own more utilitarian quarters in another part of the palace and he couldn’t help but wonder if the army of the Empire was slowly reverting to clerks and merchants more occupied in their offices than on the training field.

Soon servants had prepared the necessary refreshments and withdrew leaving the three men alone in the room, they seated themselves and Filipo as host raised his wine,

“To success, for the delegation and the Empire.” Dutifully the other two raised their wines,

“To success.”

For a few moments the three officers small talked about ordinary events catching up on the coming and goings of fellow officers and the recent march of the Khan through Thrace. After a few polite discussion of the strength of the Turkish army, it became more and more apparent that this was only for show and the discussion turned to the Council meeting.

“I must say, that was a brilliant move you did today, Captain, I was worried for a second, when you refused to confer with us before the meeting.”

Svend merely waited and Theodosius continued. “We wanted to discuss a military matter with you. You may have noticed that the Emperor didn’t place anybody in command of that new army we have been ordered to raise. It could be because it would merge into one of the existing commands or it could mean he wants to create a separate structure.”

Svend grunted noncommittally He probably doesn’t know that I’ve been offered that command then, but what are his intentions? He should know that I wouldn’t accept that command, at least not straight away.

“We wondered if you have heard anything about the Emperors intentions for those troops?” Filipo finally got a chance to say something, but the Thracian commander quickly cut him of.

“You see, we thought about offering the command to you.”

“I’m honored, but I fail to see the connection to the delegation meeting.”

To what purpose? If he knows I’ll say no, why ask? If he expects me to say yes, then what? To control me because he is theater commander and I’ll be subordinate to him and my honor will bind me to obey him? To remove me from my seat at the Council and replace the Captain of the Guard with somebody else?

“Well, you see, we’ve heard that others would like that command, if it is to be a separate command and if you will not accept it. If you venture to assume command nobody at the Council will oppose you, I’m sure.”

“Hmm, we are afraid that somebody like Dimitrios will use the delegation to bargain for that command. Your suggestion today, at least hampered any bargaining for that position.”

Dimitrios wants to control part of the army? To what purpose I wonder?

“Ahh, I see, without the envoy in play Dimitrios cannot bargain for the head of the new troops and my suggestion put that bargaining on hold, and my acceptance of command would have done the same thing.”

But also placed my seat on the Council into play. I wonder what they will offer now, now that I have spoiled their plans, they must have considered I wouldn’t take that command.

“Exactly, by opening up the discussion with a direct selection you have cut of the bargaining, at least in the open, we could off course suggest another candidate a completely new one, but unless you’re willing to go yourself, I fail to see one.”

Go myself, and leave both my seat on the Council, my command, my possible bid for the new command and my access to the Emperor? He must be joking, unless he is suggesting something?

“Again, I fail to understand, I would never be so presumptuous as to accept the role as envoy.”

“Don’t sell yourself short, Captain, if we suggest it and support it, then I’m sure Dimitrios would end up agreeing and Nikolos would end up supporting it. Everybody knows how just you are, nobody will fault neither your motives nor your honor and your access to the Emperor’s, shall we say wishes, are recognized in the Council.”

Is that a threat? He will suggest me, bargain with Dimitrios and get me send away, if I don’t play along?

“You flatter me my Lord, I have no wish to represent the Empire, I feel that serve the Emperor best by doing what I do now, I have no wish for further honor.”

“Off course we could see if we can come to an agreement on the envoy here and then hope that we can come to an understanding later, when the question of the new army arises?”

A deal? Perhaps so, they bargain on me keeping my part of the agreement on my honor alone, but what of Stefanos’ seat, if he is send as envoy?”

Svend hesitated for a moment, “and the Bishop? What about him?”

“Well, we cannot say, but if we back your choice alongside Stefanos and Nikolos, then most of the junior members will swing in our favor and he cannot prevent it.”

Filipo rose and went to get some more wine from a side table, “I think he has something up his sleeve, did you see how he gloated, but tried to hide it, when you suggested Stefanos? He is up to something.”

“I didn’t suggest Stefanos to lead the delegation, I merely suggested that we take his expertise into consideration.”

“It is the same thing, Captain, the same thing,” Theodosios accepted the wine from Filipo.

Svend nodded in accept, it probably was, “What are Dimitrios’ intentions then?”

Filipo handed him a goblet, “short of controlling Stefanos’ seat while he is gone,” he shrugged, “I cannot think of anything.”

“That would do it though, if we are to make a bargain I think it would included protecting Stefanos seat.”

“I cannot see us doing that, but we can probably agree not to let Dimitrios control it.” Filipo grinned halfheartedly at his own joke and Svend and Theodosios smiled.

The agreement was to Svend’s relief never formalized further, or expressed specifically, but he had the clear understanding that they would support him full hearted when it came to the envoy and delegation. He would have to deal with the army thing and Dimitrios if and when that problem arrived.

He didn’t feel completely comfortable with the solution, but failed to see any other alternative. He just had to accept that for once he had been dragged into the political quagmire of the Council. It didn’t happen very often, but once in a while necessity demanded it. He made a mental shrug, not much to do about it now. He rose and excused himself, stating official duties to attend to before the meeting reconvened.

As he left the building towards his own offices he hoped the consequences of this meeting wouldn’t be too cataclysmic. Hopefully Stefanos had left a message at his quarters as to where Svend could find him before the meeting.

All, Ive decided to cut the discussion with the generals and stefanos into two different installs to avoid confusions, this also means that there will be shorter intervals between the parts.

I figure one part for the discussion with Stefanos, one for the meeting (pehaps tied together), then the chapter is done. :)

V

Akk, the foul play of politics engulfs our hero.

I really like how well you manage to juggle the desires of all these political players, although I have to admit I have to resort to the cast of characters to get it all sorted out in my mind. These Greek names, it's all Gre- (no... that's too lame a joke, better stop here..:p :D)

Look forward to see what happens once the council reconvenes.

There's a reason why the term 'Byzantine' has come to mean complex, convoluted, political and intriguing. (Sorry about the pun. :) )

Good show, nice seats. I think I'll stick around for this one. :D

JaJ, I too have to keep the list open, but actually there are sldom more than a two or three names and I got tired writing Stefanos, the foreign advisor, Nikolos, the head advisor and so on :)

Director, TF, Glad you liked it, I was tying to get the feeling that they did have plans that constantly change and that nobody ever will be completely sure of each others motives or their goals. Thus a deal was struck, but with out a clear plan or a clear idea whether it was what was wanted in the first place :D

V

Chapter One, part X

Svend walked briskly across the palace grounds on his way to his own office near the Imperial quarters. As he entered the anteroom of the Guards headquarters he was greeted by his adjutant, Ulf, who tossed his head at the Captain’s private room,

“You have a visitor, Captain.”

“Stefanos?”

“Indeed, I take it, it was an interesting meeting at the council this morning?”

“Actually, the meeting I just had with Filipo and Theodosios was more, hmmm, difficult.”

His second in command raised an eyebrow quizzically. But Svend shook his head, “I’ll have to fill you in later, I need to talk to Stefanos before we reconvene, one thing I need you to do. Can you dig up what officers Dimitrios could be considering running for a position in the new army?”

“Dimitrios, the bishop? He is getting involved in the army, some play, I’ll see to it, is it certain that the new troops will be a separate command?”

Svend hesitated for a fraction, then he winked and nodded towards the open door to his office, “No not at all, nothing is decided, but I’ve heard a rumor and wanted to be sure.”

Ulf nodded in understanding and Svend went to welcome his guest.

Stefanos was sitting in a chair by the window, wine goblet in hand and stared without seeing at the palace gardens outside the window.

“Stefanos, sorry to keep you waiting, I hope Ulf has made certain you were comfortable.”

The foreign advisor startled and almost spilled his wine. “Svend, sorry, I was far away. Yes your lieutenant has provided me with both food and drink, I requested the solitude, I had some things on my mind after to days meeting.”

“Well, it didn’t exactly go as you planned I presume?” Svend pulled over a chair and helped himself to some wine, before seating himself next to his friend by the window.

They hadn’t known each other for that long, or even that well, Stefanos only rising to his current position last year, but Svend felt that this time, for once, the council had gotten a member he could trust and who’s desire was like his own to serve the Empire rather than furthering his own interests and he wouldn’t hesitate to call him a friend, even if it wasn’t exactly a close one.

“Well, perhaps not, I’m not sure. I wanted what you gave me. A chance to influence the real diplomatic skills of the envoy, but I hadn’t counted on you throwing me to the lions like that and now I’m stuck with it.”

“I didn’t intend to put into any disposition, I wanted what was best for the Empire. You would make a great envoy you know.”

“Maybe, but I’m also putting myself up for a fall and I’m not sure, the way things are in the city that I’m ready for that kind of commitment. I’m still fairly new in the council and I’m not that secure, or perhaps safe, in my position that I can weather a storm like this.”

“What do you want then, I did build in an escape clause, you could use that to send one of the department heads, that way you’d also secure your position by ridding yourself of a rival.”

“But that wouldn’t serve the Empire very well. Both my department heads, Intelligence and Diplomatic service, are political nominees, forced on me as part of my bargain for my seat, you know that. I must admit, now that I am where I wanted to be I regret selling short to get here, but that’s the price I had to pay.”

“If you send them and you believe they would fail, then that would make their return to power impossible.” Svend was delicately testing the other man’s resolve in the matter.

“But at what price? If I send them and they fail, what will happen to the Empire? Without the alliance we are doomed.” He smiled slyly, “besides, if I send them and they fail, who do you think they will blame?”

“True enough, if you go yourself, then? What would it take to keep your seat warm?”

“If I go myself?” Stefanos leaned back and stared blindly out the window and for a few moments nothing could be heard but the faint yells of a drill sergeant training guardsmen somewhere in the compound.

“If I go myself, could you really swing that by Dimitrios?”

“Probably, if I could, how do we prevent him from expanding his influence?”

“Is that why the Generals wanted to speak?”

Svend shrugged, “in part, there was something else, for now however we can count on their support for your candidature and most likely for them to oppose Dimitrios.”

“But that doesn’t stop him from grabbing my seat by placing one of his puppets in it, the moment my ship leaves the docks and I will have a hard time getting it back, especially if I fail.”

“You won’t fail, I think we can make sure that one of your own aides can sit in for you at least for the time being, then we’ll have to see what we can do about Dimitrios, I have an idea about that, but I’ll have to make certain that if that works then I’ll get Theodosios of my back.”

“What exactly did you bargain about?”

Svend dismissed the question with his hand, “the new army, they’re afraid Dimitrios will try to usurp it, I support them in their choice, they support you now.”

“And my seat?”

“Not exactly, we can expect them to try to place their lackeys in it just like the bishop.”

“So a stalemate?”

“Well, that depends, how would you feel if we send Dimitrios with you?”

“Awful, but that would put him out of reach for my seat.”

“And give us another chip to bargain for with the generals. If we pull together to create the rest of the delegation just so, so that the bishop will not gain support there, then he will have to play nice in Venice.”

“A daring task.”

Svend shrugged, “I don’t think we can pull it of, despite an entire life in the service of the Empire I’ve never attempted something this convoluted.”

Stefanos didn’t answer for a while, once again lost in thought. Finally as the bell started to ring calling the council members back to the meeting, he sat up straight, drained his cup and rose.

“I think you’re right, I will ask for him to join my delegation once I’m selected, but we cannot be sure he wish to go. As for my seat, I have just the aid to warm it for me, you’ll see.”

“Agreed then, I offer you the task of being envoy and you accept, trying to pull Dimitrios into it?” Svend rose and placed his cup on the table.

“Agreed.”

The two men slowly walked out of the office, making their way back to the council chamber.

Very nicely done Valdemar. Plots and deals everywhere you look. It makes this a most enjoyable read. Its not hard to follow which says a lot about the author's skill.:cool: ;)

Joe

It may seem not very innovative from me, but I heartily agree with Joe. :)

Chapter One, part XI

The two men walked into the meeting room and found their seats, Svend looked at the two Generals and nodded slightly. Then he leaned back as the room slowly filled and looked at the other delegates, wondering how many minor deals had been struck in the meantime.

Dimitrios and Nikolos finally arrived together as the last and Svend idly wondered if that had any significance, Dimitrios had most likely been unable to strike a deal with any of the other important members, since Svend had been meeting with most of them. Dimitrios was a politician first and foremost and the Captain was never in doubt that the bishop had some sort of agenda for this meeting, the question was what it was and whether or not Svend had inadvertently thwarted that agenda, there was no doubt in his mind that the Cleric was aware that Svend had been meeting with the other council members, or at least the Generals.

He shrugged, he would find out soon enough.

Finally as all the members found their seats and the quieted down Nikolos once again stood and raised his dry old voice,

“Gentlemen, I take it you all spend the time constructively? Stefanos, have you considered the proposition put before you by the Council?”

The foreign advisor shot one look at Svend, as if seeking reassurance, before he stood up.

“Honored chairman, fellow members of the Council, I have spend the past hours pondering how I best can serve the Empire, how we can most likely ensure success to this most vital mission for the Emperor.” He stopped and looked closely at the assembled, all of them some of the most influential men in the city. “How do we ensure that the envoy work his best to support the Empire? How do we avoid that he falls into temptation so far from home and without guidance? How can we be convinced that the Venetians will listen?”

He looked around again at the faces of his peers, or at least what was supposedly his peers, he wasn’t sure he wanted to be considered one of them all the time, but nobody rose to the challenge.

“I have no easy solutions, no miracle cure that will ensure our success. I do believe that this is a crucial moment for the Empire and I feel it is time for us to put aside our minor squabble and unite in finding the right person for the post. Stop all that political infighting and let us all pull together to bring the Empire safely home.”

Svend sat in his chair listening to the younger man’s speech while discretely studying the faces of the other members. Most of the junior members looked surprised and the Generals both looked slightly pleased. It was however on the faces of the bishop and the chancellor that Svend would have to find out whether his plan was working or not.
Nikolos, the chancellor, was looking approvingly at the young advisor, obviously not caught up in the moment like the minor advisors, but approving of the speech nonetheless. Dimitrios on the other hand smiled ironically as if he knew it was all an act to convince the Council of something yet to come, he was indeed right, but Svend hoped that the savvy bishop this time would be caught of guard.

“Therefore my fellow councilors I humbly and after long consideration suggest myself as envoy. I will lead this delegation if it pleases the Council and his Highness and will do my uttermost to uphold the ideals that once made our Empire great. I will try hard to follow whatever directions my fellow members of this Council and our Emperor wish to supply me with.”

Svend was watching the bishop very carefully and was able to catch the minuscule changes in his expression, first one of surprise, then one of calculation and finally a pleased smile spread across the clerics face.

He feared that Stefanos was going to do something else, then he was surprised at the offer and now, now he thinks he has eyed a chance at getting up the ladder, from standing in for the Patriarch to a full membership on the Council.

Svend looked across the table to the generals and as Stefanos seated him self and a murmur rose from the other members, Filipo winked slowly at him and smiled.

If he only knew what we have in store for that seat, and for Dimitrios for that matter.

Svend looked at Nikolos with a silent question on his face and as the old head of the Council nodded in accept the Captain rose and lifted his hand for silence,

“Honored colleagues, I’m glad that our foreign advisor consider this a matter of such urgency that he volunteers to go himself. I feel that the mission is now far more likely to succeed, now that we know a competent man is leading it, if nobody has any objections I would like to nominate Stefanos for envoy and leader of this delegation.”

For a moment nobody spoke then the Bishop, without bothering to rise, slowly droned from his chair,

“If the Council really believes that the Foreign Service can correct their own wrong doings then they will have my support, I will not stand in the way of the Council’s decision.”

“If our esteemed members would please observe the speaker? I wholeheartedly support the suggestion of our Captain and support Stefanos’ candidature and sacrifice wholeheartedly. If nobody else has anything to say, then I suggest we turn our attention towards the members of the delegation to ensure that Stefanos gets the best possible support.” Nikolos frowned at the bishop, who halfheartedly made an apologizing bow in Svend’s direction.

Svend noticed the approving looks from both the Generals and the bishop and wondered if he could swing the next part as easily as this.

Now I’m committed, to defend Stefanos’ chair, to the deal with the generals, to see if I can get Dimitrios out of the way. For the first time in my time on the Council, I’ve truly chosen sides. I wonder what Sofia will say, I haven’t even discussed it with her.

He looked at some of the minor advisors; he could almost feel their eagerness in the air. This was their chance, a place in the delegation if it went well was a great lever and if it failed, then Stefanos was going to take the blame and leave other options open for them. He took a deep breath and looked at Nikolos for approval, as the old advisor nodded he once again stood.

This is were I jump in at the deep end and find out if I can swim. He allowed himself a small smile before he lunged into his speech.

“Dear colleagues, I am glad that Stefanos feel the need of our nation is so great that he is willing to offer himself as envoy. I am glad that the Council so readily agrees to the need of our Empire and send what we perceive to be our best man as envoy. I am however also worried that he may not be up to the task alone.”

Out of the corner of his eye Svend caught a discreet nod from Stefanos, indicating that the foreign advisor knew what Svend was playing at and didn’t take offence.

“We need to strengthen his position against the Venetians, we need to show them that this is serious business, without showing how desperate we are. We need to provide Stefanos with the best possible group of people to feed him with information and support. He will need it in the months to come.”

Svend paused briefly and looked around at the faces, the generals looked nonplussed as expected, but Dimitrios was beginning to look vary.

“I feel this delegation needs more than just a group of guards and diplomats, it needs experts in various fields and it needs guidance. Guidance on the Venetian merchants, on the doge and on the catholic church. We should always remember that though they are Christians they hold us in contempt.”

Dimitrios nodded sagely, but Svend could see that his mind was churning as he tried to figure out where this was going.

“We need military men, to tell Stefanos what to ask for, we need merchants to deal with the Council of Ten, and we need spiritual guidance.”

He could se that the Generals were aware of his plan now and that Dimitrios caught between his own importance and his suspicions.

“I agree with the honored Captain, our delegation will need the guidance of our father, the Patriarch, and God.”

Svend continued, ignoring the interruption, “I agree wholeheartedly, I therefore suggest that we appoint Dimitrios to the delegation, who could be more suited, an experienced cleric with years of service on the Council, what better combination to see that the well being of our nation and the wishes of our Emperor is carried out alongside the spiritual needs of the delegation in a foreign land.”

Svend could almost hear the bishop’s mouth clamp shut as he fervently tried to find a way out, as the rest of the Council eagerly seized the idea.

“I don’t know if I’m the right person for this, I’m sure on the Patriarch’s staff there is someone more suited..”

“Nonsense, Dimitrios,” Theodosius grasped the opportunity with both hands, “not moments ago you expressed serious doubts about the choice for envoy here is your chance to make sure we succeed.”

Filipo chimed in, “You said in the morning that the Diplomats had underestimated the Italians, here is your chance to prove your self how to deal with them.”

Vincenzo was not above getting back at the bishop from a safe distance, “It will take an experienced and senior Orthodox Christian to help the delegation with the treacherous areas of Catholic practice, you your self, if memory serves me correctly, was once in Italy to study the differences between the Catholic liturgy and ours?”

“That was years ago and I was only a minor member in a delegation. I don’t think I have...”

“So you’ve tried being a delegate in Italy before? Theodosius bore in, “What a boon, I’m sure you can safe many a possible embarrassment for the less experienced delegates then.”

“I really must object, my position here, the voice of the Patriarch, I’m certain that or Father will be most disappointed...”

For the first time in the time he had been on the board Svend saw the bishop at a loss for words and well planned arguments. For some reason he had been unable to see this coming, perhaps because he didn’t expect it from Svend and Stefanos. The Captain almost felt sorry for the bishop as he floundered and protested. The soldier thought back and tried to recollect what he knew of the bishop, before his own ascendance to the Council.

As far as he could recall, the bishop was originally from one of the areas in Anatolia that the Turks had conquered were he had been first a minor priest then fast moving through the rank until he became bishop. It was a dangerous place to be bishop and perhaps that accounted for his fast rise in the clerical world as well as his more cynical outlook. He had returned to the mother church in Constantinople and had worked in the Patriarch’s staff dealing with the more mundane parts of the church. As Vincenzo had correctly pointed out he had been a minor part of the delegation to Rome some years ago and finally been appointed to substitute the Patriarch on the Council. A strange position, wielding power that was not his own.

He was rumored to be an experienced manipulator and negotiator, well versed in both church and secular matters and Svend could only testify to his abilities on this board as a fast thinking politician. It was further rumored that his real ambition was a permanent seat on the Council hopefully at the head of the table.

“Gentlemen, gentlemen,” Svend was snapped out of his thoughts by the dry voice of Nikolos calling the meeting to order. “I find many truths in this debate and I will recommend the following to the Emperor,” Dimitrios looked like he was about to object, but the chief advisor shot him a withering glance, “and to the Patriarch. I recommend that Stefanos head the delegation with the full backing of the Council, but that we appoint Dimitrios as second in command should anything befall Stefanos.” A sound emanated from the room as several members gasped in surprise, or perhaps pain, at the announcement. That constellation would place Stefanos at a precarious position. Nikolos however seemed aware of this and continued. “I do not wish to continue these debates over every single member of the delegation, I therefore decree that Stefanos appoint the necessary members, subject to confirmation by the Council by the day after tomorrow at noon. Further is Dimitrios to appoint two assistants for himself to bring with him to Italy. This is my command if God and the Emperor see fit to approve it. So be it, this meeting is adjourned.”

The old Councilor gathered his robes around him and left the room taking the scribe with him. As soon as the doors closed behind him the room burst into talk. Everybody was speaking at the same time trying to figure out what had happened.

That sly old fox; was this was he intended all along? I haven’t seen him this decisive in years. Both he and the Emperor seems to have awaken, it is if the entire country has been shaken by the events and awoken anew.

Dimitrios rushed past the Captain to get to the door, either to escape the rest of the Council or to report to the Patriarch, just as the two military commanders came up to congratulate.

“Well, Svend that went even better than expected. Brilliant move to include Dimitrios in the delegation, that’ll make our move to appoint one of ours as army commander even easier.”

Filipo chimed in, “We’ll even be able to influence two additional seats on the table, Stefanos’ and Dimitrios’”

Svend held up a warding hand, “easy gentlemen, let’s wait and see what the next meeting brings, I’m sure both Councilors has experienced aides that will cover for them. Besides, Stefanos’ seat is not for sale.”

The two officers was momentarily taken aback by his tone, then the real import of Svend’s words hit them and they somberly looked at Stefanos across the room, “You made a bargain there as well?” It was Filipo who first understood the implications.

Svend nodded, “How else could I convince him to go and bring Dimitrios with him?”

Theodosius nodded, “I see, still we get to influence whomever Dimitrios send and I think we can work with your agreement with Stefanos. It leaves open the army spot. Astute thinking my dear Captain.” The two Generals moved on as Stefanos moved across the room.

Svend looked after them. The new army? Perhaps, perhaps not, we’ll see general, we’ll see.

The foreign advisor grabbed his arm, “Nice speech my friend, I almost believed you meant it.” He grinned. “Let me guess the Generals wanted my seat as well and congratulated you on vacating it alongside Dimitrios’?”

Svend grinned, “Well almost correct, they also promised to leave you be, if I support their army and their choice for Dimitrois’ spot.”

“That I’ll see before I believe it. You’ve really become the focal point of these proceedings.”

Svend nodded grimly, he wasn’t too proud of what he had done.

“Either way, the old man also saddled me with the task of appointing delegates. You wouldn’t happen to have a few ideas?” The younger man looked ironically at the Captain.

“Well, I think maybe I can rustle up a few names, if you buy me a wine.”

Stefanos laughed and together the two councilors left to find a tavern and celebrate their successful scheming. Svend’s last thought before he left the Palace was to his wife and what she would think of her husband playing politics like this.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Valdemar

I found it very difficult to build a flowong dialoque with all the participants without resolving to he said, she said, so I opted for something between descriptions and third person and inner thoughts to resolve it. I'm not completely satisfied, but more rewrites only makes it worse so for now that's it :D

V
No one is ever completely satisfied with dialogue, Vald, especially since good dialogue is so hard to write. That being said, you have come a long way in your mastery of that skill in such a short time. Not only is the structure of your dialogue well crafted, but the way you interweave the characters inner thought processes and their actions make this AAR a standout. As has been mentioned before, you bring out the Byzantine in Byzantine politics. :)

Norg, thanks "i lige måde" ;)

LD, :eek: *blush* Thanks. It is strange how sometimes that dialoque just flows and I cannot move my fingers fast enough, even though I'm not sure exactly where it is going and other times I know exactly what to say and then I get stuck halfway through.:confused: :D

V

Valdemar, I have to agree with LD: Your dialogue is very good. It was one of the things that really struck me when you joined the FC. :)

Have a nice weekend, mate!

Originally posted by Valdemar
It is strange how sometimes that dialoque just flows and I cannot move my fingers fast enough, even though I'm not sure exactly where it is going :D

V

It's one of the joys of writing when that happens. It's also why I write with word because I'm typing so fast that I need a serious spell checker at the end of a burst of writing. :D :p I don’t envy Stefanos having Dimitrios with him on this journey.:eek:

Joe