• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Like Languish, the previous Showcased author, Valdemar took some time to gain the courage to try his hand at an AAR. I think you can all agree with me when I ask 'What took you so long?' :)

This inaugural effort deserves to be read, and serves notice to anyone else out there sitting on the sidelines: Just write it.

Congrats to Valdemar and this week's Weekly Showcase. :cool:

Congratulation Valdemar! Well deserved for LD to sticky your AAR. The story is becoming very compelling with the characters you've introduced. Looking forward to more.

Joe

I am for once at a loss for words :eek: *blushing

This is very unexpected, thanks :)

MrT, thanks, I will take it if nothing else, then because I have to do this at work or by night ;)

LD, this is indeed an honor, as I've stated above, it took me that long because while I did have the story in my head, I was uncertain whether I could formulate it on paper. The FC cleared that.

Storey, Languish, thanks, now I feeeel the pressure to finish that darn council meeting. :rolleyes: :D

I seem to get over my loss for word pretty quickly, don't you think?:D

V

Congrats on both the weekly showcase and another top-notch instalment!

This is looking great, your attention to details makes for very good reading!

My only minor grievance (and it's so minor, it almost isn't there..) were a couple of typos in the text.

Keep writing!:)

An excellent choice for the weekly showcase indeed! :)

Valdemar, this is certainly good stuff.

As for a request I received in my rather dysfunctional mailbox:

*looks around*
*winks*
"The Lunchbox is green"

Uhm. "Yes".

Chapter One, Part III

As the chamber settled down, Svend looked fondly at the Emperor as he sat there in silence. He looks older now, almost from day to day.

Behind the Emperor stood a page with refreshments and two personal bodyguards. Both were two of Svend’s most trusted men, nominally junior lieutenants in order to be able to commandeer the regular palace guards in case of an emergency. Behind the personal guards the Emperor’s scribe was sitting at a small table, writing detailed minutes of the council meetings for the Emperor’s personal use.

The silence dragged on, the Emperor seemed disinclined to break it and nobody spoke at the meeting without his consent. Svend looked around at the faces, his own face impassive, hiding his emotions.

Both commanders, Theodosios from Thrace and Filipo, from the city defenses, looked relaxed and slightly bored, they probably had no idea as to the agenda.
Dimitrios was still fuming on his bench, but Svend guessed that that was caused by his relegation to the bench rather than a foreknowledge of the meeting.
Svend kept his impassive mien, but privately he was amused by Dimitrios’ anger.

The chief advisor, Nikolos, looked bland, Svend suspected that he knew what was going on, but was fighting hard not to let his feelings show. The fact that he succeeded indicated that he wasn’t directly involved in what was happening.
The Patriarch looked both worried and agitated, something that surprised the Captain, according to Ulf, this was a matter stemming from the diplomats not the church. By the look of the Patriarch however it would appear that religion played an important part.

Finally his gaze fell on Stefanos, the foreign advisor, if he could believe Ulf, this was the root of the current trouble. Stefanos was usually a pleasant man, experienced in negotiating with foreign nationals and therefore skilled at hiding his feelings. He was however looking decidedly uncomfortable; suggesting to Svend that whatever had happened it had come as a surprise.

“Gentlemen,” Svend was snapped out of his reflections by the Emperor’s dry and sarcastic voice. “It has come to my attention that our esteemed diplomatic corps has managed to get their hands on some information regarding our wayward brothers in the Duchy of Athens.” Stefanos visibly cringed as the Emperor droned on. “It appears that our Greek province has managed something that we so far has failed utterly to achieve. It seems they have been able to expand their existing alliance with yet another Italian minor.”

The patriarch interrupted, “if this continues, they will unite the Church in Rome against us, we cannot let this happen.”

Manuel shot the Cleric a withering glance, “I think, perhaps, that the greatest threat isn’t to our immortals souls at the moment, but more that we stand alone in the quest against the heathens. If we cannot find a strong partner and Athens on the other hand finds protection under the Italian Church, then we are in even greater peril than before.”

Svend kept his peace as usual, waiting to see what had been decided behind the scenes. What took you so long in realizing your danger? The Ottomans have roamed freely through Thrace all year, the Khan has just danced through with fifteen thousand men and Theodosios did nothing. I know we have a military access agreement, but still a show of force would be nice.

“It has therefore been decided to strengthen our position on two fronts,” Svend’s heart leaped at the surprise. A decision, what a thrill, a decision with out tedious discussions, I didn’t think he still had it in him. First we are in need of a special envoy to speak our case in Venice, I put before the council to find and appoint a suitable delegation before the week is out.” That leaves us only four days, nothing has ever been decided here that fast. “Secondly it has been decided to raise one additional army here in Thrace. It will be comprised of Romans, of citizens of the Empire, NOT mercenaries. We need to strengthen our Empire and make it whole again.”

Svend stole a glance at the army commanders, by the way they looked none of them knew of this, but by the look of Alexios by the wall, he had some knowledge there. The old rascal neglected to appoint a commander for this new army. I wonder when our esteemed generals realize that. Alexios knows something, perhaps this was what he wanted to discuss?

The Emperor continued, oblivious to the disturbance his announcements had made. “We will raise ten thousand men within one year, my scribe has the necessary papers to begin recruiting, I will hear your progress when we appoint the Venetian delegation. That will be all, gentlemen.” With that final statement the Emperor rose and everybody had to scramble to rise, nobody sits when the Emperor stands.

In the general commotion, Svend caught Alexios’ eye and the young Strategos nodded. When Svend cleared the palace gates and dismissed the grinning Ulf, his young friend was waiting for him.

*applause from the Canadian audience*

In addition to the speach itself, I very much like the interior dialogue as well. Great instalment, and yet another fine example of why this is so deserving of being showcased!

Another good one V, so it looks just from these early posts your choosing to take the initiative and annex some of the minors. I've always been of the opinion that was the more realistic appraoch.

The only problem is the hatred the rest of the world feels after your mighty Imperial armies stomp all the bad guys :/

RJ

MrT, Jarl, Bourgeoisie, Thanks, glad you like it more coming later today.:)

RJ, you'll have to wait and see, the Turks are still surrounding me remember? ;)

T. Fournier, there are several version, but it seems that the original troops was Rus from Kiev in response to a call for help and as a gift for a Byzantine Princess and the gift of being christianized by the Greek Patriarch. These Rus troops where in fact Swedish Vikings that had created their own fiefs along the Russian rivers.

Then came a period when Norwegian and Danish Vikings would travel south and offer their swords for a time earning money to set themselves up when they got home. This was in particullar popular right after the conquest of brittain, when the Danish king of Brittain, Denmark and Norway, Knud den Store, released a large part of his army. With nothing else to do they appearantly went south for the hollidays :D

Especially Norwegians went, one of the, Hrald Harderad came home and became King. A late Medieval Danish King Erik (can't remeber what number) went their after his coronation on his way to Jerusalem on his Pilgrimage and ended up dying on Cyprus.

The connection is so close that in Norse Mythology Constantinople ha its own name, Miklagard, which again appears in several hero myths (like the greek hero myths).

V

Chapter One, part IV

They started walking toward Svend’s residence in silence.

“I sense you had a hand in this?” Svend broke the silence.

“Yes and no, the Emperor asked my father for advice on the army part last week and father discussed it with me this morning, just before the summons.” They continued a few hundred yards in silence, Svend waiting for the younger man to continue, but the Stratego seemed lost in thought, the Captain thought he had an educated guess as to what occupied his companion’s mind.

“Why Venice?”

“Venice?” Svend was startled; this was NOT what he had expected.

“Why send the envoy to Venice? Why not Rome, they are equally powerful, Venice hates us and the Pope is bound to feel obliged to at least listen to a plea from fellow Christians against the heathens.”

“We would hardly plea, at least not yet. Rome is too filled with religious seal and dangerous missionaries that only wait for a chance to convert us poor heretics. No Rome would not be acceptable to the church at the moment.”

“But Venice? We could do better with the small kingdoms to the North, Serbia, Siebenbürgen or Moldavia. They are our brothers in faith. Venice has far too many interests with the Turks and are far to prone to dishonor any treaty.”

“They are hardly powerful and they are too afraid of the Turk, to close to him to be trusted. They have failed before, remember?”

“So have Venice, Hungary then?

“Hungary? Perhaps, but I doubt they could be persuaded. Venice is chosen, because of their less than honorable reputation. They can be bought with concessions in trade and are likely to stick with us despite of whatever Rome declares as long as the gold flows from trade. Our interests in curbing the Ottomans are coinciding at the moment. We need their fleet as long as our Empire is in two separate provinces and their gold if we need more men.”

Alexios nodded in accept, despite being a very young Stratego, partly due to his fathers influence, Svend felt that the young man was worthy of his title. Especially since the command of a Stratego now didn’t in any way resemble the high point of the heavy cavalry of the Empire in the past.

“How is Freeha?” The young man blushed slightly.

Svend smiled, this was the question he had expected. “You mean Freja? My daughter is fine, no doubt breaking hearts of young Guardsmen even as we speak.”

The young officer blushed even deeper. “Why do you insist on taking names that it is impossible to pronounce?”

Svend grinned teasingly, “Perhaps to keep young Roman officers from courting our daughters and make sure our children marry other upstanding Varangian families?”

Alexios blushed crimson; he turned away and pretended to inspect the wares of a fruit vendor.

“Seriously, Alexios you have my permission to see my daughter.”

The Greek looked up from the fruits, “are you sure? I cannot pretend to be even remotely northern in my origin and you know what sort of life an officer live, even if he is from a distinguished family.”

“I know, but more importantly so does she. But if you hurt her or cause her grief, god help I will find you.” Svend was halfway jesting halfway threatening the young man.

Alexios merely nodded and swallowed something; Svend had not become Captain of the Guard merely by sitting in on the council, his reputation as a swordsman was legendary.

“Did you notice that the Emperor neglected to appoint a commander for this new army of his?”

“Yes, it was on purpose, father suggested it. That was what I wanted to discuss with you. He wants you to command it.”

“Me, what on earth for?” Svend stopped and looked at the Greek in surprise. “And more importantly what about the Guard?"

“Well, think about it, the new army will be mostly infantry. There is no way we could find, buy or breed the necessary mounts, not to mention train proper cavalry men within one year. Whatever failings the Guard has it is a superb infantry fighting force.”

“Failings? My Guard?” Svend snorted in amusement, then he turned serious, “we have trained cavalry before, but I guess you are right, that was when we had Anatolia, the steppes and farmers’ sons who had spend their boyhood on a horseback.”

They walked again for a while in silence, Svend lost in thoughts over this new development.

“I cannot do it, I’m not willing to give up the Guard, unless the Emperor takes it away from me. My father would kill me for it, had he still been alive. Besides, I’m not sure I or we can do it.”

“Do it? You are considered the best Captain of the best infantry unit we have had in years. The Guard has always been the cream of our infantry. The money paid just to get in has been ruinous to several Greek families that have tried in the past.”

Svend smiled slyly, “you mean you still haven’t figured out the reason for the price for a commission?” The young officer merely shook his head. “Then let me tell you the story some other day, it has its roots in the way we were created and how we used to be resupplied with warriors of the North through the generations.”

“That still doesn’t answers my question, why can’t you train a new infantry based army?”

“You don’t see it, do you? Surely I can train the men and god knows the quality of the individual soldier would soar, but I cannot train a field army to fight outside the city.”

“I fail to understand, you have trained infantry your whole life.”

“Let me try and give you a hint, my Guard are feared soldiers yes, and I wouldn’t be caught with any other troops in a mountain pass or inside the city, but our army will not be fighting in mountains very often, if the Turks have anything to say. You are a horse soldier, how would you engage infantry? On open ground? Would you prefer to attack troops equipped like mine or modern troops equipped with pike and halberdier?

Svend was getting worked up, this was the focus of so many discussions with the military commanders, they still thought the army of generations would work today. Without the superior numbers in heavy cavalry and without the wish to change they were doomed.

The Stratego nodded slowly as the meaning of Svend’s tirade dawned on him. “What you are saying is that a modern infantry troop are different from the Guards and our regular troops?”

“The strategy and tactics differ, so does equipment, I can train the new army, as long as we are talking basic infantry skills, surely I cannot make them into a new Guard, but I can teach to fight and support each other. I cannot teach them what I do not know. If our current infantry comes up against the current Turkish army, I doubt they can win the engagement.”

As they had reached the home of the Captain Svend placed a hand on his friend’s arm, “let’s not discuss this further for now, give me a few days to think it over, I promise you’ll have my answer before we decide on the delegation for Venice. Now come and join us for dinner, I’m sure my wife and children would be delighted, they haven’t seen you in months and Arn is visiting with his wife, you two haven’t seen each other since you joined the army?”

Alexios nodded in accept Freja might be there and they entered through the gates only to be met with a flock of children and servants, banishing all serious discussion for the remainder of the day.

Excellent handling of dialog and exposition. Well worthy of showcase honors.

Svend wouldn't be the first commander to beat his head against conservatives in the military. :)

Chapter One, part V

Svend trailed behind the group of children, his own and their friends, as they dragged Alexios across the inner courtyard and through the back house on their way into the garden in the back. He stopped briefly in the courtyard to give his cape to a servant, when he saw his wife, Sofia, look down upon him from the walkway that circled the inner court. He looked up at her and smiled, she smiled back at him making him all queasy in side.

We’ve been married for more than twenty years and she still melts my heart with a single smile.

His wife gestured for him to wait and emerged a few moments later from the house.

“Was that Alexios?”

“Yes, he was at the council meeting.” He kissed his wife, “he had some interesting things he wanted me to think over so he walked me home. I invited him to stay over for dinner, you don’t mind, do you?”

“I don’t, I like him, but Arn is home for the first time in weeks and then there is Freja?”

“I think Arn would approve, he hasn’t seen Alexios since he joined the army and somehow I think Freja will approve too, given time.”

She raised an eyebrow at the last remark.

“He has asked my permission to see her.”

“Really, isn’t he a bit old?”

“He is twenty five, she is eighteen, it is not a moment too soon, besides, she has asked about him a couple of times since his last visit and she has obviously made an impression on him, let’s not worry yet she might reject him.”

She shrugged, “If you say so, I agree that it is time, she has become too adept at breaking the hearts of the young Guardsmen that flocks around her and Alexios is not a bad choice, good family.”

Svend placed his arm around her shoulder and gave her an affectionate squeeze, he was certain that she agreed completely, otherwise she would have objected more wholeheartedly right away. She just wasn’t keen on sending her daughter away. Neither was he, but the alternative wasn’t very good either and she didn’t exactly seem keen on entering a monastery to him.

Sofia looked up at him and smiled again, “you are right, she does like him, let’s see what the next few days bring before we worry about it. What did the Emperor want?”

“An envoy to Venice, a new army and me to train it.” He smiled at her surprised expression.

“What did you say to that,” a tint of worry crept into her voice.

“He didn’t ask me directly, Alexios said that he will though, his father suggested me. I have said no, but promised to think about it.”

A sigh of relief escaped her, “and Venice?”

“Don’t know yet, we have to appoint the delegation by sunday.”

“Why the urgency? Nothing substantial has been decided in the council in months.”

Svend told his wife everything; her insightful views often gave him a second perspective that he found very comforting. “I don’t know, it is as if the Emperor has suddenly awaken after a long slumber and makes sound and decisive decisions. Today’s meeting was like it used to be, he had obviously dictated the content behind the scenes and a lot of the members, including me, didn’t have a clue before his speech.”

“You used to know, doesn't he trust you anymore?”

“I think so, the offer to train the new troops wasn’t offered at the meeting, I just think he decided the current action and didn’t have the time or needed my advice. Besides, it is a good choice he has made.”

His wife looked skeptical, but refrained from commenting. “Let’s join the others, we need to free Alexios from the kids.”

They started across the courtyard toward the double doors leading inside the back house, “Did you talk to Arn before you left?”

“No, I was hoping to get a chance this evening, if Alexios can distract the young ladies.”

Sofia smiled at his comment “I have faith in him.”

They went through the backhouse into the garden arm in arm, secure in each other.

Arn watched his parents emerge from the house and stand close together on the porch in front of the house. He looked to his wife Sif who stood a few paces away, talking to Alexios and Freja.

Will we be as happy as that in twenty years? I wonder how my parents manage, five children and my fathers position and yet they always find time for each other.

He looked back to his parents and saw that they were looking in his direction, he smiled at them and they smiled back, but remained still on the porch.

I would have liked to talk to father about my future, but he has invited Alexios. I wonder if it was on purpose, Alexios chose the army like his father and I’m sure father would like me to do the same. Sif’s father wants me to join his business and I think I would like it, home every evening get to see Sif every day, but father wants me to follow the tradition and join the guard. It could be fun, but I will not be home, I will be at the barracks until I get my officers commission. Sif will kill me. What should I do?

He turned back to the trio and stood for a while watching amused how Alexios attempted to woo his sister and charm his wife at the same time, failing miserably at both to the obvious entertainment of both young women. In the end he decided to rescue his old friend.

Strange how the world changes, he is four years my senior and I have always believed he could do anything better than me and yet, here I am, married and secure while he flounders around trying desperately to impress my sister. I wonder if I was equally inane in my comments when I first met Sif?

With a smile he interrupted his friends story about the breeding of horses.

“Mind if I borrow my wife for a moment?” Without waiting for an answer he took her arm and led her further down into the garden, as they passed out of earshot he kissed her gently on her forehead.

“Was I ever that bad?”

“Worse, he could really use some help though, he is quite smitten with your sister and she is running circles around him. She is not being very nice.”

“Do you think she likes him?”

“Oh, yes, definitely, she wouldn’t have weathered those stories if she didn’t. I wish he would stop talking about horses.”

They had drifted down to the back of the garden, into the shadow of a huge and ancient oak. Arn stole a quick glance at the house, nobody was looking in their direction and he quickly wrapped his arms around his wife and kissed her passionately. At first she squirmed a bit, but then she giggled and responded vigorously.

Freja had left Alexios allegedly to fetch him something to drink, but he suspected to rest her ears.

Why am I such an oaf? She doesn’t care about horses, I should tell her something nice, tell her how beautiful she is, something witty. It seems that my tongue gets a life of its own and my brain dies whenever she is near.

He let his eye survey the garden. What a lovely house the good Captain have here. he noticed Arn’s quick glance and his embrace with his wife, he smiled to himself. [It has been what, a year? two? since I last spend time with him. Where did he learn to get so confident?[/I]

Alexios stood for a while lost in thought, until the servants announced that refreshments where ready on the terrace.

Last edited:
You have tasted the forbidden arts, young one... we have you now!
There is no returning to your former life once you have wielded the POWER...

[long pause]

Sorry, Valdemar - it gets harder and harder to keep some of the personalities off the merry-go-round.

And HistoryPark will understand - so long as you don't stop reading entirely. You don't want a visit from the Monster! :D

The calm before the storm if I'm not mistaken. How soon will the quiet family life be disturbed? Probably pretty damn soon. Great story Valdemar.:cool:

Joe

ValdemAAR, congratulations to finally joining the ranks of those with their own AARs, and even more so to your great writing that deservedly earned you this showcase. :)