• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
wow i can play the game now expectation met....

anyway i got into my first battle today but there was no enemy on the map ???? just my space station and a 4 minute timer wasting my time.

is there a way to exit a battle or go back into auto battle??

Did you remember to select fleet you want to use from combat start prompt?

Will admiral creation be fixed in the Friday patch?

Well, after doing a complete uninstall and reinstall of everything, along with the required 532 computer restarts, I'm still getting the same problem with the latest (Nov. 2) patch as before - run SotS2.exe or click play from steam - get start screen with "Options" and "Play", click play - and get a brief flicker and everything disappears. No log file, nothing. It happens so fast its almost like it never gets to the point of trying to run the actual program. I am beginning to wonder if there is some kind of hardware incompatibility, but the lack of info is very frustrating. If it is because of hardware, I'd at least like to know, so I can give up and get a refund - here is my setup:

AMD Athlon LE-1620 2.4 GHz
4 Gig RAM
Windows Vista Home Basic SP1
All drivers and patches up to date
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated

Last edited:
Well, after doing a complete uninstall and reinstall of everything, along with the required 532 computer restarts, I'm still getting the same problem with the latest (Nov. 2) patch as before - run SotS2.exe or click play from steam - get start screen with "Options" and "Play", click play - and get a brief flicker and everything disappears. No log file, nothing. It happens so fast its almost like it never gets to the point of trying to run the actual program. I am beginning to wonder if there is some kind of hardware incompatibility, but the lack of info is very frustrating. If it is because of hardware, I'd at least like to know, so I can give up and get a refund - here is my setup:

AMD Athlon LE-1620 2.4 GHz
4 Gig RAM
Windows Vista Home Basic SP1
All drivers and patches up to date
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated

What graphic options do yuo have selected in the first menu?

SotS II has massive memory requirements and a high processor loads. I would never run a browser at the same time with my current (4-year old) computer - despite having 4 gigs of RAM. And your poor video card!

I have 16GB of Ram a gtx 570, and a 2600K running in the ballpark of the upper 4Ghz range... I should be okie to run this game and firefox =P lol Not to gloat or anything lol

Thank you, Schlotti! I run Winddows Update manually, I had just run it to get up to date 2 days ago. Unfortunately, for some reason it didn't update me to Vista SP2, or give me any clue that I needed to do this. I have SP2 now and game will start. Takes a long time to get to the create game screen and I haven't gotten farther yet - but this is a far better place to be :cool:.

Get win7, vista sucks

Phulian: that and not being able to delete designs from build list.......wow not only do i have obsolete designs ion my build list but also the ships floating around space. The alternative to scrapping them is to use them as human sheilds, just send them on suicide runs to gather intel on the enemy.

Actually on this subject, Devs any way you can add a Retro-fit option to the list of things to add, like take an old design too a naval shipyard and upgrade it to the newer version at a slightly reduced cost? I know if you changed the sections it might not be possible but if you could do it for weapon mounts, so the ship just upgrades its weapons to the new design. Just an idea i always wanted in Sots1

Last edited:
Actually on this subject, Devs any way you can add a Retro-fit option to the list of things to add, like take an old design too a naval shipyard and upgrade it to the newer version at a slightly reduced cost? I know if you changed the sections it might not be possible but if you could do it for weapon mounts, so the ship just upgrades its weapons to the new design. Just an idea i always wanted in Sots1

I second that; I found the most tedious part of SoTS1 was having to go down my list of designs, changing the engine sections, one-by-one to Fusion then Antimatter once I'd acquired the tech.

Get win7, vista sucks

Phulian: that and not being able to delete designs from build list.......wow not only do i have obsolete designs ion my build list but also the ships floating around space. The alternative to scrapping them is to use them as human sheilds, just send them on suicide runs to gather intel on the enemy.

you can already refit old ships, in the fleet manager, you can change the weapons on an old design to a newer version of that weapon class, eg. uv laser to xray laser. you cannot however change the weapon to a different class, ie. mass driver upgrade to uv laser.

Thank you, Schlotti! I run Winddows Update manually, I had just run it to get up to date 2 days ago. Unfortunately, for some reason it didn't update me to Vista SP2, or give me any clue that I needed to do this. I have SP2 now and game will start. Takes a long time to get to the create game screen and I haven't gotten farther yet - but this is a far better place to be :cool:.

Good to hear that one worked. However i am not surprised that it takes long to get there etc. Your rig just is not very up to date sadly.

Get win7, vista sucks

You can delete builds from design screen.

Yeah I see no way to "update" old ships from the fleet manager. And agree'd not being able to get the old designs you dont want off the build screen becomes a huge clutter issue...These are issues I hope todays patch fix. Along with the dissapearing sound bug x.x

edit: cuz while you can remove them from the design screen, old designs still appear on the build screen.