• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
For me the game is much more stable than it was before the patch. I think we have either hardware issues (unlikely), architecture issues 32/64bit (more likely) or issues with .NET or Visual C packages or drivers (most likely).

I am sorry, I really don't know how to help you on that one though. Steam usually downloads both .NET and VC when the game needs it. You can try to verify the game cache integrity and if one of those is missing, Steam will install it.

I got a crash after a battle, but I will say aside from that the game seemed more stable and responsive. Though it still needs a lot of work in both those regards.

Good starting fixes. I hope they can live up to that 2-3 a week for a few months deal. Personally id accept 2 patch days. Monday and Thursdays! Dont want a friday patch day, cause if you screw something up..we are stuck with it all weekend lol.

Crash on startup

Great patch...theoretically. I can't seem to see it because now no matter what I do the game crashes on startup right after the red lines envelope the options on the start menu. There is no error message, nothing.

still undecided if i should give the game another chance and risk being disappointed even more or wait til its more polished .. well ... at least i'll hold on to my copy cuz i know the game will be great eventually ...

Well, if you are unsure just hang around the forums and watch our feedback as we play and when you think the game is good enough for you to play just go ahead and do it. It's a no brainer since you are holding on to your copy.

@ amenisto
You're a dick.

Taking a break here. Just went through 60 turns without a crash and saved to get some food and rest the brain. Today's patch gets a big thumbs up from me.

Ok I updated the game and now I can not even start the game at all. I pulled this from the log file

T (2011/10/31 15:01:15) [app] MARS2 64-bit Environment
T (2011/10/31 15:01:15) [app] Last built on Mon Oct 31 01:24:18 2011
T (2011/10/31 15:01:15) [app] CWD:
T (2011/10/31 15:01:15) [app] C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\sword of the stars ii\bin\x64
T (2011/10/31 15:01:15) [app] Args:
T (2011/10/31 15:01:15) [app] C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\sword of the stars ii\bin\x64\mars.exe
T (2011/10/31 15:01:15) [diag] Initializing telemetry...
W (2011/10/31 15:01:15) [diag] Failed to start telemetry (1).
W (2011/10/31 15:01:15) [app] Invalid game root directory:

so I am not sure how to get or get the telemetry data to kick.

On a whim I did what someone above posted "Steamapps\common\sword of the stars ii\msvc2010sp1 and run the vcredist_x64.exe"
and ran that still no luck, anyone have an idea ?

I got the same error, and fixed it by copying and pasting the whole Sword of the Stars 2 folder from steamapps\common to C:\

Just got into the forums via my CD-key

I have not yet been able to start a game, i get to the create screen and then the create button does not work, and the cancel button errors me to desktop and makes a log file, which is full of "bad object" and stuff like that.

I have been able to get to the main menu and the create screen just fine, but never been able to actually get in a game.

I had this issue, too, after turning down my graphics options 'cause my graphic card sucked to much to play with any semblance of speed. The log files seem to indicate that it's successfully switching game states, but it never appears to actually change game states in game.
However, it works just fine for me when I have textures set to high, Procedural Planets on, Decals on, and Ambient Occlusion OR Focal Blur on (though I suppose both work, too, and I haven't tried leaving Bloom or Refraction on instead).
I have no idea if this is related to why it's not working for you, or if it will help, but hopefully it will.

Well there are still mutch bugs to fixing, but...at least...i was able to play today a hour , in some case mostly 2 hours, before a crash occured. But for that i hit now walls, where crashes occuring where i didnt find a work around. Keep on patching, this first patch allready looks good! :)

I hope they find and fix the audio bug this week or next. So god damn annoying playing silently. Or if I feel the nerve to reload. Only to lose it again within a turn or two lol.

I got the same error, and fixed it by copying and pasting the whole Sword of the Stars 2 folder from steamapps\common to C:\

i tried to move the sots 2 folder to c an it still gives me this error thanks for the help though! i still get this error when i try to play the game in 64x in admin mode.

T (2011/10/31 18:02:03) [app] MARS2 64-bit Environment
T (2011/10/31 18:02:03) [app] Last built on Mon Oct 31 01:24:18 2011
T (2011/10/31 18:02:03) [app] CWD:
T (2011/10/31 18:02:03) [app] C:\sword of the stars ii\bin\x64
T (2011/10/31 18:02:03) [app] Args:
T (2011/10/31 18:02:03) [app] C:\sword of the stars ii\bin\x64\mars.exe
T (2011/10/31 18:02:03) [app] C:\sword of the stars ii\bin\x64\sots2.exe
W (2011/10/31 18:02:03) [app] Unrecognized command line argument: C:\sword of the stars ii\bin\x64\sots2.exe
T (2011/10/31 18:02:03) [diag] Initializing telemetry...
W (2011/10/31 18:02:03) [diag] Failed to start telemetry (1).
W (2011/10/31 18:02:03) [app] Invalid game root directory:

im really hoping i don't have to dl the entire game again it takes forever! thanks for everyone's help though! i made sure all my updates where applied too :)

Is there a chance the reason the windows and menus slow down so much is because every time you enter a new screen, it's written to a log file? Appdata/Local/Sots2/log. Every action I seem to do is put in a log file, and they reach 10 meg in size some of them

Last edited:
i get an issue where after creating something like a science station when it goes back to the map screen i no longer see the planets etc.

anyone having this issue i tried changing graphics but it keeps happening.

Well its good to see patches, sadly .. to reiterate the meme "this not the patch that makes the game fun" ;p

I played a clean 2 hours now, sadly i faced the combat bug, combat does not resolve, 0 losses, i lose, my fleets return to base (which is by the way, another massive glitch.) And then in combat i also noticed that there seems to be massive performance problem when more than 20 ships are in-game and shooting (and it ain't my PC ;/ )

But then combat is essentially daft as hell with no real AI for the enemy and my ships ;p

But yep, its getting there..

Are you selecting your fleet first (on the left) before you start combat?

Well its good to see patches, sadly .. to reiterate the meme "this not the patch that makes the game fun" ;p

I played a clean 2 hours now, sadly i faced the combat bug, combat does not resolve, 0 losses, i lose, my fleets return to base (which is by the way, another massive glitch.) And then in combat i also noticed that there seems to be massive performance problem when more than 20 ships are in-game and shooting (and it ain't my PC ;/ )

But then combat is essentially daft as hell with no real AI for the enemy and my ships ;p

But yep, its getting there..