• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You also 'fixed' the part where the game worked at all on my 32 OS, now I don't even have a beta to play on, it just won't run. Neither of the versions will now. Thanks a lot. (not really)

Tried verifying the game cache through Steam?

and ran that still no luck, anyone have an idea ?

As above, right click the game in your Steam library > Properties > Local Files > Verify Integrity of Game Cache.

I find it odd that so many people are experiencing so many crashes. I've been playing the game pretty solidly so far and minus the couple of weird UI glitches sometimes everything else seems to work pretty well. I do experience random crashes though after the game has been running for a long time, but I'm assuming that with this update those will go away. I'm very impressed by the speed at which you guys seem to be addressing these problems. I know you're probably only getting a couple hours of sleep each night, and perhaps even having office sleepovers but I for one really appreciate the dedication to the product and the fact that you guys aren't giving up on this because it DOES have incredible potential to be better than the first SotS. Keep up the work!

Thanks for the patch guys!

Though with the new patch the game isn't playable at all for me. Any time I try and access the research panel, the game greys out and hangs. The background noises still play and the animation of a select world still plays, but the research window never opens up and there's no way to cancel out of it.

Is there ANY chance of a hotfix on this tonight? Or am I waiting for another two days?

EDIT: The research thing only hangs the game and forces me to restart it every other or every few times. I've no idea if there's a rhythm to it but I'll see if I can spot it.

EDIT 2: The more I play, the less often it happens. This is weird. :( I'm assuming there's a trigger or something that I just don't see, I doubt the bug is fixing itself or going away simply because I keep trying again.

Last edited:
I don't see combat weirdness on the list of known issue - is anyone else having it? In combat with another player(whom I have declared war on), on invasion of one of their planet, I engaged enemy ships, and my ships will not automatically move around and navigate as they did in the first game. They will just go to where I point them, not even turn to face the enemy, stand still, and sporadically fire their weapons. I was observing some of my turrets, and they would turn at times and fire, other times they would just sit there and not open fire, even with a clear line of effect and battery power.

Combats looks amazing, but not so much with the ships just sitting there. I hope this will be addressed soon, clunky interface is less of a concern when there are gratuitous space combat.

It's a nice patch, I've made it to Turn 37 in a new game, built two stations, had AI contact random encounters numerous times, no crash in sight so far

I'd like to see more tooltips, Dropdown menus instead of completely new screens for fleet movements, and the 8 colors for an empire dropped in favor of the color palette, for Singleplayer games

Dont know if I should post this here or not but here are some bugs I noticed mostly in combat that didn't appear in the known or fixed notes of this patch.

Battle Riders and carriers don't work nearly like they should (this really dissapointed me. I love carrier-type stuff). Can't order more BR than one around at a time and they run back to carrier every 10 seconds. (also BR hangars on stations dont seem to work but I may just be doing that part wrong)
Combat itself is kinda bugged. Ships don't follow "stance" commands when issuing to more than one ship, or more than one group.
The UI sticks between ships/groups (e.g. setting one group to "max speed" then switch to the other group and it'll show as max speed, but be moving medium or slow)
When issuing orders to change "altitude" in the ecliptic plane ships will often go flying way over or under the plane and spend the remainder of the battle trying to return or just sitting out there.
Balancing:
Torpedos don't do near enough damage to warrant their reload time
Small turret weapons need to be toned down, or accuracy for others turned up. A ship full of green beams or green lasers does more damage than any two ships with heavier projectile things like heavy fusion cannons. (by far. Was getting butt kicked by two cruisers with beams versus 5 with heavy fusion cannons-- just couldnt hit them enough to do significant damage even at complete standstills and point blank ranges).

That's just what I've noticed off the top.
Aside from that let me say that this game has great potential, and even in its brokenish state I find it entertaining. I'm glad you guys are working so hard to fix it.
Keep up the good work :D!

thank you; but I have this problem when clic the play, one error with MSVCR100.dll; Any solution?

Second post in the thread should resolve it....

This causes the game to fail to start for me with a missing DLL warning, in case anyone else finds it an issue, look in your Steam folder then Steamapps\common\sword of the stars ii\msvc2010sp1 and run the vcredist_x64.exe there.

Should only run it once, then the game should be good to go after.

When I upgrade a station and then add a module it crashes. I'm assuming this is a known bug?

Ya, I'm pretty sure they know about this one.

To Dev Team,

Nice Patch, it helps a lot. But could you please fix this glitch next patch. I really want to upgrade my civilian station.

Ok I updated the game and now I can not even start the game at all. I pulled this from the log file

T (2011/10/31 15:01:15) [app] MARS2 64-bit Environment
T (2011/10/31 15:01:15) [app] Last built on Mon Oct 31 01:24:18 2011
T (2011/10/31 15:01:15) [app] CWD:
T (2011/10/31 15:01:15) [app] C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\sword of the stars ii\bin\x64
T (2011/10/31 15:01:15) [app] Args:
T (2011/10/31 15:01:15) [app] C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\sword of the stars ii\bin\x64\mars.exe
T (2011/10/31 15:01:15) [diag] Initializing telemetry...
W (2011/10/31 15:01:15) [diag] Failed to start telemetry (1).
W (2011/10/31 15:01:15) [app] Invalid game root directory:

so I am not sure how to get or get the telemetry data to kick.

On a whim I did what someone above posted "Steamapps\common\sword of the stars ii\msvc2010sp1 and run the vcredist_x64.exe"
and ran that still no luck, anyone have an idea ?

I have the same issue! I ran the vcredist_x64.exe too and no luck :-( I also had steam check my cash something someone else said to try an still no luck. Anyone might know of another fix i am starting the game in 64bit mode manually.

**the game is no longer making log files it just crashes after i hit play :-( im not sure what is wrong now to be on the safe side i also tried to runsots2 as an admin did not work either**

Last edited:
still undecided if i should give the game another chance and risk being disappointed even more or wait til its more polished .. well ... at least i'll hold on to my copy cuz i know the game will be great eventually ...

This causes the game to fail to start for me with a missing DLL warning, in case anyone else finds it an issue, look in your Steam folder then Steamapps\common\sword of the stars ii\msvc2010sp1 and run the vcredist_x64.exe there.

Usually, needing that will bring up a window saying it is installing as it does it on its own. You might want to run Windows Update just to be on the safe side if that is not happening.

I have the same issue! I ran the vcredist_x64.exe too and no luck :-( I also had steam check my cash something someone else said to try an still no luck. Anyone might know of another fix i am starting the game in 64bit mode manually.

**the game is no longer making log files it just crashes after i hit play :-( im not sure what is wrong now to be on the safe side i also tried to runsots2 as an admin did not work either**

I am still having the same issues, I am glad that I am not the only one. I am going to play around with it a bit later and see if I can come up with a solution for it, but it would be nice if someone from the company could reply and let me know at least that they are aware of the problem.

The patch was already installed when I started the game however when I get to the create game screen the Start and Cancel buttons are missing and I can't go any farther. So the game is now totally unplayable.

Nevermind I found that I was not in maximized mode. Game still crashes though.

Last edited: