• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I don't like the look of the Soviet lines in the Carpathians. They appear strong, and that would mean the Soviets are basically free to pour as many divisions as they like through that breach.

1 November 1942 – 1 December 1942

Soviet Invasion

On 19 November, Soviets liberated Slovakia and Hungary and installed puppet governments. It seems Soviets are unstoppable. More and more of them are pouring into Central Europe.

HoI311242Hungary.jpg

By the end of November, Soviets occupied all Czehia, part of Austria and invaded East Germany.

However, Polish stabilised the Third Defensive Line (Konigsberg-Przemysl). Facing the fact that there are no enough troops to defend Germany it was decided to draw a new defensive line from Krakow to Rostock. The objective of the line is to defend West Poland and Berlin. Allies are very petrified by the possibility of Germany becoming Soviets’ puppet.

Another line was drawn in South Austria. Remaining four airborne divisions are to be dispatched to defend Italy. Alps should provide very good defensive positions.

Polish Military High Command decided to use current circumstances for Polish army advantage. Regardless of the fact that the half of Western Europe will be lost, Soviets soon reach France, Denmark, Netherlands and Belgium. They should suffer from logistical problems and overextended multiple fronts. That in turn should allow Polish to find weak spots in Soviet defence and exploit them.

HoI311242.jpg

British landing in Tallinn was disaster but another 3 divisions landed in Riga.

HoI311242Baltic.jpg

Soviets made a surprise amphibious landing in Boma (Belgium Kongo).

HoI311242Kongo.jpg

Last edited:
Where is the French army?!

Almost whole French army is at Spanish border, because Spanish joined Axis. Only about 20 British, Canadian and New Zealand divisions are stationed at German border. However, I believe French could transfer their army north very fast and give a big headache to Soviets :)

the most useless question ever. doing nothing as always. :cool:

I hope you survive... somehow... :eek:

:rofl: Don't destroy my hope. I hope they will redeem themselves this time. They already gave me their whole 4th Army, which is defending south Poland - some improvement.

1 December 1942 – 1 January 1943

Soviet Invasion

Soviet offensive continued. In South Austria Polish Airborne divisions repulsed several attacks and now racing with Soviets to close a gap at Switzerland border. In the West Soviets reached Maginot line and engaged British Expeditionary Force. French are currently redeploying their army from Spanish border.

Thanks to British and French expeditionary armies (13 and 14 divisions respectively), Polish were able to hold on Konigsberg-Przemysl defensive line and build new one from Krakow to Rostock.

Polish army was regrouped. Defensive divisions were created out of 5 brigades with the best defence experts in charge. All excess forces (including all heavy artillery and tank destroyers) were assembled into Assault Task Force next to Namyslow behind the defensive line. Breakthrough in Namyslow-Breslau is planned. More officers are trained and recruited in order to increase effectiveness of the army.

HoI31143.jpg

After successful British expansion in Latvia, Soviets sent reinforcements, pushed British out of Riga and cut them off from supplies. 3 British divisions are doomed.

HoI31143Baltic.jpg

In Greece 2 Polish mountaineer divisions broke through Bulgarian defences in an attempt to cut off Bulgarian supply road from Sofia. However, Bulgarian reserves stopped the advance and Polish mountaineers were encircled themselves. Only air supply keeps them alive. The mountaineers are going to retreat and try to escape encirclement. There is also an opportunity to cut off and destroy 5 Bulgarian divisions in Larisa.

HoI31143Greece.jpg

In Asia, Soviets crossed Amu Darya River and pushed British back.

HoI31143India.jpg

Last edited:
Well, Semper Fi might add a little cooperation between AI and human.
Then the French might be actually forced to fight. :D
Why not strike with all your extra forces to Ruthenia, hoping to cut of the Soviet west?

Ruthenia is a logical choice, but unachievable at the moment. I have only 9 assault divisions at my disposal. Soviets not only have superiority in numbers but also good defensive terrain there.

At Breslau I hope to beat Soviets fast, cross the river and then proceed at high speed with support of AC regiments through plains.

HoI31143Ruthenia.jpg

However, this is just a plan, because Soviets are reallocating number of divisions to the West. I hope they will move some divisions from Ruthenia too.

Last edited:
1 January 1943 – 1 February 1943

Soviet Invasion

Soviets already reached Denmark and Netherlands. It took Polish 14 months to conquer Germany and only 4 months to lose it. Polish intelligence counted around 244 Soviet divisions fighting Allies. It could be around 2.5 million soldiers in Europe together with unknown reserves. Poland has 650.000 together with expeditionary forces, Denmark – around 170.000 and France – 1.480.000. However, a half of French army is in North Africa and South France securing possible invasion from Spain which embargoed Allies on 19 January 1943. Belgium army in Europe is useless because Soviets cut it off from supplies coming from Belgium Kongo [The Capital of Belgium is in Kongo].

HoI31243SovietArmy.jpg

HoI31243Armies.jpg

Belgium Kongo

HoI31243Kongo.jpg

French at last launched an offensive from Maginot line where Soviets were caught off guard. Some Soviet divisions were encircled and surrendered. The offensive triggered Soviet response. They sent 2-3 more armies to West Germany and weakened their defences in South Poland. Polish could not dream about better opportunity and the Assault Task Force was redeployed Przemysl. Breslau-Namyslow major offensive was recalled.

A major offensive, which could turn the odds in Europe, was launched in Ruthenia on 21 January 1943. At the same time French and British started supporting offensives in Breslau-Namyslow, Krakow and Przemysl sectors. Their single purpose is halting Soviet reinforcements and creating havoc.

HoI31243.jpg

Operation Axe (Ruthenia)

HoI31243Ruthenia.jpg

Baltic States

3 British divisions surrendered in Latvia but Dutch landed next to Tallinn and liberated a half of Estonia. However, Soviets are drawing more reinforcements and ready for a counter-offensive.

HoI31243Baltic.jpg

Greece Front

Situation in Greece has changed again. Polish mountaineer retreated south and together with reinforcements from South Greece cut off Bulgarians at Larisa. After 3 weeks of fighting, Bulgarians in Larisa surrendered. Following, the surrendered the mountaineers resumed the offensive North.

HoI31243Greece.jpg

Last edited:
I think you are doomed. :D But I thought the same before, and you have proven me wrong. I hope you will do it again. :D

If I was you, I would shorten the line in SE Poland and form a new line on Vistula. It would be a considerable loss of territory but you'd get some free troops. I would abandon Greece, send troops to Italy, and with all those extra forces launch a major offensive towards Praha, from Poland and Italy to cut the Russians in two. Or better yet, if French manage to advance into Germany, link with them.

Of course, I don't have a clear and complete picture of your situation, and this could be way to ambitious. :D

If I was you, I would shorten the line in SE Poland and form a new line on Vistula.

I thought about it several times, but the only reason why I kept it was proximity to Romanian border. Ruthenia is the neck of the Soviet Head in West Europe. If I could cut it the Soviets would be out of supplies sooner or later.

I would abandon Greece, send troops to Italy, and with all those extra forces launch a major offensive towards Praha, from Poland and Italy to cut the Russians in two. Or better yet, if French manage to advance into Germany, link with them.

I have tried abandoning Greece several times already by unsuccessful conquering of Bulgaria. However, every time I underestimated Bulgarian army. I always thought "this is just the last push..." If this time is not successful I leave Greece to Greeks ;)

The attack from Italy is not really possible. I have 6 (12 brigades) of paratroopers, facing 9 Soviet divisions (27 brigades), and 4 divisions (12 brigades) in Greece. Not much of the force and Austria is mountainous territory.

Last edited:
1 February 1943 – 1 March 1943

Polish Counter-Offensive

The Soviets continued an offensive in the West. They took Amsterdam (this is what Germans could not achieve) and invaded Belgium. French offensive was halted.
However, The Operation Axe proved to be extremely successful. Polish reached Romanian border, cleaned Ruthenia and South Poland, and even invaded the Soviet Union at Horodok. At the same time divisions of French 4th Army liberated almost all Slovakia and reached Bratislava.

In North Germany, Danish and Polish launched a joint offensive. Danish overrun several Soviet divisions at Kiel, then took Hamburg and moved to Netherlands, while 4 polish AC battalions left Rostock and infiltrated behind the Soviet defensive line. Their objective is to harass the Soviet supply lines and spread havoc. British also pushed the Soviets from Berlin and are trying to encircle around 10 Soviet divisions.

This was the biggest trap. There could be around 100 divisions in the pocket. The Soviets are getting supplies only through Amsterdam, but their convoys are raided by Allies, including Polish destroyers. However, Soviet divisions in the pocket are still fully operative and cause big threat.

HoI31343.jpg

Dutch offensive in Estonia was unsuccessful. The Soviets pushed them to Estonian islands.

HoI31343Baltic.jpg

Polish mountaineer divisions broke through Bulgarian lines and reached Sofia. Following the fight in Sofia streets, Polish retreated. Greek newly recruited divisions reached the front line.

HoI31343Greece.jpg

Last edited:
You should also terminate Bratislava and Budapest as the soviets can get supplies from their puppets... ;)

Otherwise, WELL DONE!
Let's hope you get all your lands back that you conquered from the Teutons with Polish blood.

Crazy, here was me thinking that the Soviets would just storm forward smashing everything in their path, but here are you seemingly netting half the Red Army!

You should also terminate Bratislava and Budapest as the soviets can get supplies from their puppets... ;)

Otherwise, WELL DONE!
Let's hope you get all your lands back that you conquered from the Teutons with Polish blood.

I was wondering why Soviet divisions are still moving. Budapest then next objective ;)

Crazy, here was me thinking that the Soviets would just storm forward smashing everything in their path, but here are you seemingly netting half the Red Army!

To be honest, first I thought I’ll let 10-15 Soviet divisions move to Hungary and then close the door, but Pandora’s box was opened and I could not stop the Soviets. Luckily France drew more Soviet armies into West Europe :)

That was quite a successful offensive so far! How many divisions do you have?

My units consist of 1 to 5 battalions; therefore it is difficult to compare them. However, I have 234 battalions and 23 support brigades. That would lead to 55 (3 bat) divisions and 23 (3+1) divisions, 20+ HQs. Out of 78 divisions 27 are expeditionary force. I have in total 613.000 troops, but in full strength it should be about 785.000. It means, on average, my divisions are about 78% strong.

I am loving this AAR

Thank you! :)