• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

General War

Lt. General
50 Badges
Sep 5, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Achtung Panzer
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 200k Club
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
Part One - Introduction

The bloody civil war is raging for more than two years. During its course, large part of the country and most of the oversea territories fell under control of Franco's Nationalists. To make things worse, enemy offensive earlier this year split the Republican forces in two. As the Nationalists continue to advance, the future of Spain looks rather grim.

* * *​

Spanish Republican army fields 26 infantry divisions, three of which are militia. They are organized into three armies, with two corps in each one. One corps, the 3rd, is left in reserve. These forces are barely adequate to hold the long defensive line, which has some gaps in the south. Most attention has been given to defense of the capital, Madrid, directly threatened by enemy forces.
Small airforce is divided into two squadrons of tactical bombers, with the task of giving close air support to the ground troops. Spanish navy, comprising one battleship, three light cruisers and several smaller vessels is restricted to defensive duties and is mainly confined to ports, partly because of the very limited fuel reserves.

Republican Army:

1st Army
  • 1st Corps
  • 2nd Corps
2nd Army
  • 6th Corps
  • 7th Corps
3rd Army
  • 4th Corps
  • 5th Corps
3rd Corps (in reserve)

spaincopyb.jpg

1st September 1938

The situation with the strategic resources is dire. Small stockpile is rapidly decreasing and will last only until the end of the year. A few trading agreements somewhat improved the situation, but only by a small margin. Already inadequate industrial production is under great threat of running out of resources.

Plan of action

Considering the overall strategic situation, a decision has been made to take over an initiative. The 3rd Corps, currently in reserve, will be deployed to the east and launch an offensive north of Valencia, along with the troops of 2nd Army, with the goal of linking with the troops in the northeast. After the enemy forces in the area are destroyed, the 2nd Army will advance to west, attacking the flank and rear of the enemy line east of Madrid. Hopefully this will cause the collapse of entire north front and fall of Burgos, seat of the rebel government. If successful, the offensive could be the turning point of the war and a serious blow to the Nationalists.

planuw.jpg

I once loaded up the '38 scenario with Republican Spain. As soon as my entire frontline erupted in battles destined for lopsided Nationalist victories, I promptly quit... :p

So, good luck. You'll definitely improve on my track record, but I hope you can actually stem the Nationalist tide and reverse the course of this war.

This will be....interesting! to say the least. :D

Part Two

Offensive in the West

The first days of September marked the beginning of several Nationalist offensives. The main attack seemed to be directed against the western front, between the rivers Guadiana and Guadalquivir. The enemy broke through the lines and penetrated deep into Republican territory.

Even though it seemed that the enemy achieved a major break-through, they stopped their advance. Perhaps muddy ground and heavy rain that plagued this sector of the front played their part. The battle is not over yet, but the new defensive line is holding. Our forces launched a limited counteroffensive further to the north, gaining some ground south of Madrid.

Madrid and Guadalajara

Franco’s troops also launched a major offensive between Madrid and Guadalajara. While the capital was heavily defended, the line east of it was significantly weaker and after a few days it was obvious that it could not be held. Thus, a decision was made to withdraw to a shorter, more defendable line. Despite all the efforts to defend Guadalajara, the city fell on 13th September.

A loss of that area, reach with resources, will seriously hamper our war effort. After the initial enemy success, their advance was halted and the front line stabilized. There is still some heavy fighting southeast of Guadalajara, but our line is holding. Madrid is now in great danger, almost surrounded by the Nationalist forces.

Break-through

Another enemy attack was launched on the Mediterranean coast north of Valencia. The line held by the 6th Corps was broken, and our forces slowly retreated towards Valencia. The city itself came under heavy attack and it seemed that its fall was imminent. Numerous naval units fled from besieged port. Miraculously, our heavily beaten forces managed to stop the enemy advance just outside the city.

At that time 3rd Corps arrived in the area according to the previous plan, and its arrival was immediately noticed. Two of its divisions, supported from the air, attacked enemy’s rear north of Valencia and reached the coast, cutting the Nationalist’s supply lines. Elements of 3rd and 6th Corps attacked enemy positions further north, towards Tarragona and Barcelona.

At the same time elements of 7th Corps launched the attack from the opposite direction. Heavily supported by Spanish airforce, which suffered considerable loses, both attacks broke through the enemy lines and linked up on 24th September! The first strategic objective was achieved, and several enemy divisions found themselves surrounded. This success lessened the ill effects of recent defeats on other fronts and was a huge boost to Republican morale.

spainpart2op.jpg

Operations during September 1938

Heavy battles were also raging in the mountain region near the French border. Following the failed Nationalist assault, our troops counterattacked, with a great chance of achieving a break-through.

spainpart2copy2.jpg

Front line, 24th September

Last edited:
cool update dude, but it seems like your attack in the north went good, you are loosing soldiers and ground in the west. i would suggest a surounding fo the spearheads of nationalist forces, and total annhilation of them:) i know it will be hasrd but you could try

The Republicans will win this unfortunate war between brothers and I already begin to wonder how the fate of Republican Spain will unfold itself in the next few years ;)

cool update dude, but it seems like your attack in the north went good, you are loosing soldiers and ground in the west. i would suggest a surounding fo the spearheads of nationalist forces, and total annhilation of them:) i know it will be hasrd but you could try
So far my tactic in northeast was to encircle a small number of enemy units in each offensive, destroying them bit by bit and steadily building my superiority.
I just hope that my line in the west will hold. I did lose a lot of ground but my army is still more-less intact.

The Republicans will win this unfortunate war between brothers and I already begin to wonder how the fate of Republican Spain will unfold itself in the next few years ;)
Once I crush those rebels, my invincible army will storm the Europe and march all the way to Moscow and beyond! And then I'll build a mighty fleet with lots of battleships and carriers and more battleships, and my armada will sail all the way to New York, and New Zealand and... er, where did I put my medicine?? :rofl:

To be serious now, thanks for your words of confidence :). But the civil war is far from over, with many battles ahead and with uncertain outcome. But if I do win, I'll probably side with the Allies and try my luck against Germany.

Good luck General

Thanks!

Well, you've already improved on history, so that's a good start. Overall, I expect that linking Barcelona to the main chunk of Republican Spain is worth more than the loss of Guadalajara (sp?) and the miscellaneous other provinces.

Good job and continued good luck!

Well, you've already improved on history, so that's a good start. Overall, I expect that linking Barcelona to the main chunk of Republican Spain is worth more than the loss of Guadalajara (sp?) and the miscellaneous other provinces.

I agree. But I do regret losing Guadalajara, as it has resources, industry and VP. I'll do my best to take it back.

Good job and continued good luck!
Thanks. :D

1938 scenario isn't that difficult. Pressure every second to third division along the nationalist front. Try to focus on grabbing VPs. Count on the Northern VPs, grabbing them soon. Remember, you get the Nationalist troops after the war ends, so don't focus on wiping them out. I managed to turn it around and win in two months (though I wiped out far too many divisions)

i tried the 1938 scenario as republican and i epic failed. so i really cross my fingers for you;)
Thanks. Hope I'll have better luck. :D

Whoa, maybe the war is not going to be a total loss for the Republicans my friend ;) I like to believe you will crush those rebels. Okay, hard to say anything yet but looks promising and good luck!
Thanks. So far so good...

1938 scenario isn't that difficult. Pressure every second to third division along the nationalist front. Try to focus on grabbing VPs. Count on the Northern VPs, grabbing them soon. Remember, you get the Nationalist troops after the war ends, so don't focus on wiping them out. I managed to turn it around and win in two months (though I wiped out far too many divisions)
I'll keep that in mind. At the moment they have plenty divisions left, so some more wiping out is in order. :D