• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nope, still no luck. I made sure settings.cfg had the same numbers as my (working) AoD installation. Still I get this critical error "Could not initialize video" even though intro is disabled. Maybe tomorrow...

Nope, still no luck. I made sure settings.cfg had the same numbers as my (working) AoD installation. Still I get this critical error "Could not initialize video" even though intro is disabled. Maybe tomorrow...

I can't stand that you can't play it, I have to find the solution!
Try downloading and installing the program that was used to create the introductory video, maybe it installs some missing components in your system.
That program is the same one that all the HOI IIs use in the introductory video, so it might be worth installing.

RAD video tools, BINK palyer:

http://www.radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm

When the problem is solved, I ask you to please write here, where you clearly indicate the solution step by step.

For those still using Windows 7 as their operating system, please install the "vc_redist.x64.exe" file for systems 64-bit operating systems or the "vc_redist.x86.exe" file for 32-bit operating systems.
You can find them in the root folder after unzipping IRON_FIST_MOD.zip
Maybe it could be useful to install them also in windows 10 ...in desperation you try everything.

• 1Like
Reactions:
HIO.....not sure if you noticed but this mod only works with AOD 1.11 not the current AOD patch (1.12).....for steam versions of AOD you got to rollback AOD to 1.11...which you can only do if you first give yourself permission on STEAM to use BETA game patches....if you dont know how best just goggle how to roll back patches on steam....hopefully checking your patch level will help solve your issues with the mod....I had issues and fixed them by rolling back patch level. NOTE I also had to fix the settings.

Last edited:
so I managed to start iron first

only that the loading screen freezes because there are error messages like '' Database Mismatch error (type xxxx/ID xxxxxxxxx)''

I put the x in place of the numbers because I don't remember them but there are so many

i chose ignore and it loaded and got to the home screen with the world map

what do the error messages come from?

I can't stand that you can't play it, I have to find the solution!
Try downloading and installing the program that was used to create the introductory video, maybe it installs some missing components in your system.
That program is the same one that all the HOI IIs use in the introductory video, so it might be worth installing.

RAD video tools, BINK palyer:

http://www.radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm

When the problem is solved, I ask you to please write here, where you clearly indicate the solution step by step.
Tried that, did not work either. I disabled the mod and AoD starts just fine (though without scenarios, as they were deleted by the batch file); enabled the mod again, and had the same error message as usual.

Information that may be useful:
Iron fist was built on patch 1.11.
I tried patch 1.12 but it didn't work, there was an excessive imbalance in favor of the nation Germany which made useless years of events and changes to make the various nations historically realistic towards war operations.
So to install iron fist without problems you need a clean, basic version of AOD, then when you install Iron Fist, it automatically contains the 1.11 patch inside.
If you have installed patches other than 1.11 and they were not disabled before installing iron fist, there may be problems, especially if it is a patch higher than 1.11.

I have the impression that the problem is only for those who have the STEAM version.
Am I saying right?

I hope everything will be resolved, I really care that everyone can play it.

Last edited:
OPPS...MY MISTAKE...I ROLL BACK TO PATCH 1.11
Deadmanhope,
Are you still having issues with Irön Fist? I'm the C++ developer on the 1.13 release team and boulvard asked me to check in with you.

BTW - We have the AoD patches 1.10, 1.11, and 1.12 on the forum at:

• 1Like
Reactions:
using an outdated version of arsenal of democracy I managed to install the game

but unfortunately once loaded on the map the icons of the land army instead of being infantry, HQ or armored divisions have the icons of armored ships, cruisers etc. etc.

in practice I see the fleet going around the city hills and mountains

but unfortunately once loaded on the map the icons of the land army instead of being infantry, HQ or armored divisions have the icons of armored ships, cruisers etc. etc.

I Use AOD steam version 1.11 (which is actually 1.11c). Then I patch the game with the 1.11 version from Czarina Julie post. After that follow the readme instruction in the IRON MOD folder and worked fine. I, like you I had exactly the same problems with the installation of the mod. I hope that helps

Reactions:

The symptoms are those of a non-clean install.
It is essential to have an AOD game without patches and mods of any kind, at most patch 1.11 is tolerated because then Iron Fist will install 1.11 on it again.
Already 1.11c is something different from 1.11 for which I cannot guarantee correct functioning.
Do as Teodin says he had similar problems to yours, but use patch 1.11 and not 1.11c.
Better yet don't use any patch, iron fist will itself bring to 1.11.
One way or another, you too will play Iron Fist. ;)

I've done it!!!!!

p.s.

How do I change the resolution to 1920x1080?
i tried ''arsenal.exe'' but
in ''select resolution'' there is nothing
Wilde Boys says:

I was having the same issue, for me it seemed to be using some non standard resolutions. I found that manually modifiiying the settings.cfg file with notepad++ and change the details to a resoluton it likes. Takes bit of experimenting. This works for me:

0 #LANGUAGE (0=english, 1 = French, 2 = Italian, 3 = Spanish, 4 = German, 5 = Polish, 6 = Portuguese, 7 = Russian)
1 #MUSIC (1 for on)
0 #WINDOWED MODE (1 for on)
europa.valkyrienet.com
2560 #Width
1080 #Height
1 # Enabled intro

by changing 0 to 1 at the bottom it skips the intro video. 0 for english language but obviously change to your language :) and your monitor resolution.
2560 x 1080 is my widescreen monitor resolution