• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
"It looks terribly empty" can be said for most of the map, you have your work cut out for you :)
Precious Metal is, imo, a must and should have been in the game from vanilla onwards, the tin, silver and gold mines in f.e. Iberia and Britannia were known far and wide (tin from Britain was traded to the Mediterranean on a regular basis through Celtic and then Carthaginian traders for one).

I personally have little experience with the positions.txt file, but I bet you are using the editor?

Edit: Oh, and if/when you find a pair of maps to base your rivers of, could you link to the source maps here? I am kind of working on a map of my own with pretty much the same area as you.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments, Vanin. I've added a quick-and-dirty "Precious Metals" tradegood (+25% tax income) - no point in uploading a pic, since it's just recoloured Iron for the moment. I figure that would cover everything like gold, silver and tin.

The positions of those tradegoods are also pretty much random; if anyone can find info on where the main gold and silver minds were in Hispania during this period, it would be much appreciated :)

Regarding positions.txt, I am using the editor but I've checked the text file itself, nothing seems out of place to me.

Regarding rivers, I am using the watermask map from here, and am cross-referencing it with the regional maps I've been using for other information like country/tribal locations, etc. It's not perfect, but errors can be fixed fairly easily later down the track if anyone picks them up ;)

I often used the Europa Barbarorum mod for RTW as a base for resources before. If you have a copy of the game you could check it out. Can also be useful to see what the ancient world looked like back then, terrain-wise. The fertile crescent wasn't called such for being a desert, after all.

Cheexsta if u need insperation on politics (I.E social and poltical strife, plots against the republic "Cataline conspiracy", Pleb Revolution) for Rome I would love to help the republic is my favorite part of Roman history.

I often used the Europa Barbarorum mod for RTW as a base for resources before. If you have a copy of the game you could check it out. Can also be useful to see what the ancient world looked like back then, terrain-wise. The fertile crescent wasn't called such for being a desert, after all.
Yeah, I played the hell out of EB back in the day. Along with a number of other RTW mods (and was even briefly on the RTR dev team), so I'm very familiar with it. It already does serve as a part of my inspiration for this mod :)

Cheexsta if u need insperation on politics (I.E social and poltical strife, plots against the republic "Cataline conspiracy", Pleb Revolution) for Rome I would love to help the republic is my favorite part of Roman history.
Your help will be most welcome :) Events and the like won't be modded until well after the map is complete, but when we get to that you are more than welcome to help me with those sorts of political events.

Amazing job! :)
Thanks mate!

And now, for something completely different.

Not really, but here's the first glimpse of an updated "Gaul Zone", which includes the regions of Aquitania, Lugdunensis, Narbonensis, Belgica, Germania Inferior and Superior (Cisalpine Gaul will be included as part of the "Italia Zone"). 51 provinces in total, compared to the 21 of vanilla.
rome_5-1.jpg

Still lots to do, but it's a start :)

Looks really nice, well done.

Map's looking very good, especially the coasts/islands.

Thanks for the comments guys :) @Wiz: thanks mate, those coastlines are partly what inspired me to start this project after seeing some satellite images. They look great in the game, too :D

Anyway, here's a little update with a more-or-less completed Europe! I've made the area that we haven't finished yet into a big red blob for clarity - we're still trying to figure out how best to tackle Arabia, and to my knowledge no one has started on Persia or the Northwest Asia zone yet.

So far, we have 609 land provinces compared to 269 in vanilla.

provinces-11-07.jpg

If anyone sees any glaring problems, or if you are interested in helping out, let us know!

Work on the mod slowed a little while I was finishing various essays and exams, but I'm now finished with that and so have a few months' free time :) I hope to have at least the basic files ready before Christmas.

Long since I strolled in here but that map looks gorgeous. Sadly you probably have the hardest places to fill left, the Iranian Plateu isn't easy especially around the Parthian desert in which at least I have not been able to find any sources on settlements or cities worth mention - if you can paint terrain on there so it isn't black PTI but still leave it as PTI and thus inaccessible as it is a barren desert, I'd do just that, same goes for inland Arabia, I personally see no reason extending provinces all the way in there.

Looks great over in India btw, looks like it can be quite densly populated and I am looking forward to Transoxania as well, can't wait to see what Bactria will look like :)

We are aiming against just blanks, and with a developed Yemen region which was fertile and full of factions to throw in the game we want Arabia to be full of provinces... we have some great resources in that effort.

If you can paint terrain on there so it isn't black PTI but still leave it as PTI and thus inaccessible as it is a barren desert, I'd do just that, same goes for inland Arabia, I personally see no reason extending provinces all the way in there.

I've spent some time fiddling with the colourmap before (e.g for Magna Terra) and unfortunately PTI is always black, no matter what you try. It's because the game doesn't use the actual colourmap but province textures instead, so terrain will only be shown if there is a province there.