• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Triple post... :wacko:

As mentioned in the last post, having so many provinces has screwed up the sea provinces' borders. Here's a temporary, very inelegant solution:

rome_22.jpg

It looks terrible in-game, but I have an idea of how to deal with it. Stay tuned :)

Screwed up how, no borders at all? I don't think that'd be too bad, it will look more like an open sea rather than a pair of blocks :)

Also, a possible solution: Open seas were very dangerous to sail across and as far as I know most shipping was done close to shore, so for example that big blue blob between Sicily and Cyrenaica could be turned into PTI. It won't be black as it's sea so it won't look bad and it will create room for some strategy I think. The area between Cyprus and Crete could recieve the same treatment. With a few zones removed the borders might return.

And one last thing, shouldn't Tylis's westernmost province be owned by Macedonia? It is afterall upper Macedonia or Lyncestis (I can't really remember which). Meanwhile Tylis, or the Celt invaders they act as proxy for, should occupy the better part of Thrace rather than Macedonia.

Thanks for the feedback :) Sorry Tycat, there is no download mirror just yet. Alpha will be released very soon.

Screwed up how, no borders at all? I don't think that'd be too bad, it will look more like an open sea rather than a pair of blocks :)
Yeah, no borders until province ~950 or so (so only the deep sea provinces near India). Only problem with removing borders entirely is that it's hard then to determine adjacencies while playing the game. I also quite like the open sea look, but I don't think it'd be as practical in the game.

As I said, though, I do have a solution planned that will look a lot prettier than the above pic :)

Also, a possible solution: Open seas were very dangerous to sail across and as far as I know most shipping was done close to shore, so for example that big blue blob between Sicily and Cyrenaica could be turned into PTI. It won't be black as it's sea so it won't look bad and it will create room for some strategy I think. The area between Cyprus and Crete could recieve the same treatment. With a few zones removed the borders might return.
I considered that, but decided against it because there appeared to be shipping lanes through the open Mediterranean Sea areas (according to Orbis). I may still make them impassable water in the future, but I'll try it out in Alpha first.

My reasoning is that the open sea was indeed dangerous (hell, it was dangerous enough just crossing the Adriatic!), but doesn't seem to have been impossible. This may be representable by particularly dangerous events while crossing open sea provinces (or at least an increased chance of the shipwreck event firing), amongst other things. We'll see.

And one last thing, shouldn't Tylis's westernmost province be owned by Macedonia? It is afterall upper Macedonia or Lyncestis (I can't really remember which). Meanwhile Tylis, or the Celt invaders they act as proxy for, should occupy the better part of Thrace rather than Macedonia.
Ah, right you are. I'll fix that before releasing Alpha. This is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for :)

Last edited:
Beautiful! Absolutely beautiful!

I suppose the solution for the sea borders is creating a new border texture?

you wanted feed back so i felt as if i should do my part :D

1. Rome was in contact with Han china via the silk road says history... so that means you should extend the map to china i think you might have said that you didn't plan on going past India but that would cut history alot.

2. secondly history says Rome was in-contact with the Indian sea trade routes meaning there should be a way to move ships from the Mediterranean past the Sinai peninsula to the Red sea

3. depending on how detailed you plan on getting with Africa you need to expand the map farther down the eastern southern coast and interior eastern side for the empires that traded gold for imports that came from the Indian ocean trade routes.

4. you should look into river trade to make trading along rivers possible for provinces along both sides of the river in most cases.
4.5 the nile should be capable of trading to the miditerranean sea as it was possible to send boats up it and down it to the miditerranean

5. you should look into features that Epigoni and Reign of the Ancients adds in such as "The wonders making certian provinces more worth wile than others" and the events that allow provinces occupied during wars to defect at a tyranny cost

Thanks for the feedback, Eragon.

1. Simply having contact doesn't mean it should be included. Yes, Han China had contact with the Roman Empire (which they called "Da'Tseng", as I recall; it's been a while since I studied it so I hope I haven't just insulted a bunch of Chinese speakers), and in fact several Roman emperors actually sent gifts to the Chinese emperors. However, the distances were too great to maintain any more than this kind of contact, let alone any kind of military contact. So, being a primarily Euro-centric game, I opted to cut the map off at the edge of the Mauryan Empire.

Perhaps a more significant reason is that the map files are literally as large as they can possibly get; the game simply does not support a larger map. I could scale everything down even more than I already have, but that would mean starting over again... ;)

Rest assured that contact with the Eastern world will be represented in the game, but through more abstract means. If you want more direct interaction, I can strongly recommend the Magna Terra mod.

2. Indian sea trade will not be directly connected to the Mediterranean because of several engine limitations. I might add some kind of trade modifier for holding key provinces in the trade route, though.

3. I have extended the map as far down through Aethiopia as I could find information for. If anything, I should add more provinces down the Western coast to represent Hanno's explorations, but that's a fairly low priority.

4. Engine limitations make this difficult, though it could be approached by giving river provinces the same trade access capability that roads have (I believe that Epigoni has this feature).

4.5. Certainly a possibility.

5. Adding wonders is possible, but much more than this is beyond the scope of the map mod. The total conversion will go into much more detail like what you're after :)