• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I am; I had to take a break from modding (and EUR in general) for a while because I was feeling burned out, but I'm back now. I assure you that progress has been made over the past week or so :) Not enough to report on, but it's being done.

See? Progress :)

rome_15.jpg

The map looks very empty with only vanilla countries...

Edit: oops, forgot to give Syracuse its province. Fixed.

Progress! Progressive progress :D

Are you planning to add provinces in south of Numidia in case you have any space there in the provinces map file? I know it's really a pain to do if you add them later and resize the provinces.bmp because then every vertical position in the map changes.

Thanks everyone :)

Wave: I have no plans to expand the map in Africa, but there is plenty of space to add in more provinces (seriously, the map extends as far south as Central Africa) thanks to the way the map was enlarged to fit India, in case plans change. I wouldn't be able to enlarge the map files anyway, since they're already stretching the limits of the game :)

Vanin: you should see what the rest of the Seleucid Empire will look like :D But yes, hopefully the balance between the empires won't be too bad.

Hardradi: there are literally hundreds of countries I'm planning on adding for the total conversion mod later on :) As for resolution, I run the game with a custom resolution (1600x1200, I think?) in windowed mode, as that makes modding much easier (and I can do other stuff during loading screens). It takes a little getting used to, but I find it very handy.

Looks great, looking forward to it. I don't envy you when it comes to distributing population and such so that the Seleucids (and to a lesser extent Egypt) doesn't end up ridiculously powerful compared to everyone else.

Looks great, looking forward to it. I don't envy you when it comes to distributing population and such so that the Seleucids (and to a lesser extent Egypt) doesn't end up ridiculously powerful compared to everyone else.
I think such balancing is better done with policy differences. Fir example the Ptolemies were notorious for not trusting the Egyptians and only employing Greeks, Celts and other mercenaries. The Seleucids on the contrary had a vast empire, yet mostly poor and empty (in the east) but still tried to hold onto all of it when it would have been more prudent to put their border in the Zagros. Egypt only had one real frontier up until the Egyptian rebellions which was Syria, whilst the Seleucids had enemies in every direction.

Ok, so I've added the rest of the Seleucids:

rome_19.jpg

I took the opportunity to completely re-model the Persia zone (i.e. the entire Eastern half of the Seleucid Empire) as I was completely unhappy with it (seriously, what was I thinking adding so many provinces to desert regions?). It now has a much more reasonable province density, though I'm thinking of adding more provinces to Baktria and Sogdiana. They could possibly be represented with a better-than-average population, however, so it's not completely necessary. I've also decided to make the edge of the map meet the edge of the Seleucid Empire - bear with me on that, I have plenty of ideas to balance it out so that the AI Seleucids don't have a magically-stable border in the North ;)

You might also notice the new minimap, courtesy of Comontorios :)

Next task: I'll be adding the first and only new country for the map mod: the Mauryan Empire. Then it'll be a matter of adding sea provinces and the first alpha version will be ready for release.

Edit: forgot to add Britannia to the list of things to finish before alpha :D

Last edited:
Silver-coloured Seleucids anyone? RTW style..? I'm scared for all that yellow :D

Looks really good anyway, I really like Armenia and Pontus gaining a few extra provinces so the life around the black sea will become more interesting due no one-war conquests.

Ahh, the silver Seleucids. Significantly easier to deal with than the yellow blob in EUR... :D

Anyway, I present the Mauryan Empire!

rome_20.jpg

It's not awesomely impressive until Ashoka the Great goes on his conquering blitz, but it should still pose a nice little threat to the Seleucids' border.

Also, added all three countries to Britain. They're very lonely over there...

rome_21.jpg

Now all it needs is some sea provinces and the alpha version will be ready :)

Last edited:
GIMME!

How much do you want? Two, three million? How about a kidney? I don't need both testicles, do I?

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY AND/OR ORGANS!

Ahem...I mean, cracking work. Can't wait until the alpha release.

You can keep your organs and money :p I just want to point out that the alpha release will not be playable, in that you won't be able to get a campaign going with it. It'll be released purely for feedback purposes, and will (hopefully) be regularly updated to add various features. Only when it enters the beta stage will it be even remotely playable. Just so people don't get their hopes up too high :)

Anyway, I'm currently adding the first batch of sea provinces. Like land provinces, there are going to be many more sea provinces than in vanilla, which will hopefully improve the naval strategy aspect of the game. Most, if not all, coastal land provinces will also have only a single sea province in contact, making naval invasions harder (you can no longer straddle a fleet between two land provinces and just use it as a kind of bridge; you will actually have to coordinate fleet movement).

I'll post screenshots when the first part of the map (the Western half) is done :)

And done, more or less :) The borders are bugged because there are so many provinces, so I'm not going to post an in-game screenshot. Instead, here's a picture of provinces.bmp as it currently stands:

provinces12-7-25.jpg

The sea provinces have been designed using the philosophy posted above: I wanted naval superiority to be much harder to attain. There are relatively few sea provinces that share a border with more than one land province, so it's much harder to lay a constant blockade against the enemy - you'll have to spread your fleet out more, and regularly replace blockading fleets to make up for attrition. Because there are a large number of deep-sea provinces, it will be a lot harder to detect an enemy fleet coming your way, so you'll really have to keep on your toes. And finally, also because of the high number of sea provinces, there's a lot more room to manoeuvre.

As with everything, it's still subject to change, so expect lots of balances and tweaks after the alpha stage starts.

I expect the Eastern half to be done by the weekend. Once the localisation is done, the alpha release will be ready and it will be time to get stuck into the little details :)

Last edited: