• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In case anyone wondered how the naval tech tree is looking:

1914navttbeta5.png

And this is how, more or less the naval tech tree will look like:

1914navttbeta7.png

Hi there i was wondering what sort of stage this mod is at development wise - i have enough modding experience and time to lend a hand if its not too late in the game to be of any use.

I can do anything you like tech names, model names, unit names, scenario OOB's, ministers, leaders, graphics, flavor text etc.

I was a big fan of the previous WW1 mod for DH and am glad to see someone is working on something a bit more ambitious hopefully if i help with some of the mind numbing grunt work it'll be more likely the mod will reach a release stage :)

Last edited:
I want to say thank you SO MUCH for being the first game or mod I've ever seen to include the Arabian front (although I think that it should be kind of three sided--with the British and Hashemites being loosely allied but with divergent goals)

Hi there i was wondering what sort of stage this mod is at development wise - i have enough modding experience and time to lend a hand if its not too late in the game to be of any use.

I can do anything you like tech names, model names, unit names, scenario OOB's, ministers, leaders, graphics, flavor text etc.

I was a big fan of the previous WW1 mod for DH and am glad to see someone is working on something a bit more ambitious hopefully if i help with some of the mind numbing grunt work it'll be more likely the mod will reach a release stage :)

We are still at an early stage of development by designing the base of the game: techtree, units, brigades etc. so all your skills are not needed for now, except perhaps your graphic skill. What do you have in mind here?

I want to say thank you SO MUCH for being the first game or mod I've ever seen to include the Arabian front (although I think that it should be kind of three sided--with the British and Hashemites being loosely allied but with divergent goals)

Thanks to mumia who was open for map change suggestions. I have access to very rare (better: costly) sources so you can expect a proper representation of Hashemites, Rashids, Zaydids, Idrisids etc.

Depends what you need, i can start stockpiling leader and minister pics - sized up and ready to be dropped in once the game is ready for them. Could do the same for tech and units though for that I'd need to know models.

let me know :)

Depends what you need, i can start stockpiling leader and minister pics - sized up and ready to be dropped in once the game is ready for them. Could do the same for tech and units though for that I'd need to know models.

let me know :)

Ah ok, sorry, not now. But your skills will be needed anytime soon.

Does anybody know how this recoil mechanism (metal wheel plates and wedges) of this gun is called:

12cm-Kanone-Ord-1882-Waffenplatz-Thun-.jpg

They were designed to help artillery operate in muddy terrain - when the practice of indirect fire started being used it caused the guns to sink.

Germans called them Radgürtel which means wheel belt, French called them "Ceinture De Roues" which also can be translated as wheel belt.

I don't know what they were called "officially" in English but nicknames included "Chocks" (chocks were wooden blocks and ramps used to control recoil of cannons on warships) and also "Pattens" which was a cobblers term to describe a shaped wooden block added to the soles of shoes to help men keep them clean when hunting :)

Take your pick i guess

@Blecky: It is indeed not a modern recoil mechanism, but some sort of to workaround.

@wolvoneil: It seems the heavy field guns (120mm) designed in ~1880 were equipped with those wheel belts per se. So I could call this gun 'wheel-belted heavy field gun'?

To my knowledge the artillery pieces were not designed with the wheel belts as on good ground it slows their movement considerably they were an "add on" and were detachable - indirect artillery fire was pioneered by the British in the Boer war (1899) and it is only when you have a high firing angle (like indirect fire) that the wheels need these belts as the increased surface area prevents the gun from sinking.

SO if older guns can be seen using them its likely the pictures were taken around the first world war when they'd been attached - when the guns were built in the 1880's there was no need for them.

Regarding naming wheel belted heavy gun sounds like a fine name to me so long as these pieces are distinct from normal field artillery though in reality i'm pretty sure every artillery piece in WW1 would have had these attachments by the end.

Ah ok, but then the name doesn't fit for the heavy field guns designed around 1880. How would you name following artillery pieces:

Canon de 120 long modèle 1878 (France/1878)
12-cm-Kanone 1880 (Germany/1880)

The next model in the techtree would be the 'early quick-firing far-reaching field gun' and would summarize following artillery pieces:

10 cm Kanone 99 (Germany/1899)
10-cm-Kanone 04 (Germany/1904)
60 Pounder Breech-Loading Gun MK. I (England/1904)

Ah ok, but then the name doesn't fit for the heavy field guns designed around 1880. How would you name following artillery pieces:

Canon de 120 long modèle 1878 (France/1878)
12-cm-Kanone 1880 (Germany/1880)

The next model in the techtree would be the 'early quick-firing far-reaching field gun' and would summarize following artillery pieces:

10 cm Kanone 99 (Germany/1899)
10-cm-Kanone 04 (Germany/1904)
60 Pounder Breech-Loading Gun MK. I (England/1904)

The difficulty here is what ordnance terms we are using.

if we are using British terminology then the French Canon de 120 long modèle 1878 and the German 12-cm-Kanone 1880 would be referred too as "RBL" or "Rifled-Breech Loading Gun" the first of which were the Armstrong Gun's.

"Armstrong Gun" became the universal name for a long barreled-rifled-breech loaded field gun but the British classification was RBL. They were designed by Sir William Armstrong around 1860 and the French and Germans quickly came out with their own models.

the British replaced their Armstrong Guns with the "Ordnance QF 15 pounder" in 1900 which were built by Germany.

So cutting a long story short it'd go:

Late RBL (Rifled Breech Loading Gun)

UK - Armstrong Breech Loading 12 pounder 8 cwt (1869)
France - De Bange 155mm Cannon (1877)
Germany - 12-cm-Kanone 1880

Then it'd be followed by the 'Early QF' models or 'early quick firing-far reaching field guns' as you've called them

I differ the calibers 75+ mm and 120+ (later 100+) mm in techtree, so then I will call them 'heavy rifled breechloading gun' do distinguish them from the 'light rifled breechloading gun' (75mm).

Are you an expert for artillery? I could need someone who would review my artillery techtree (and so you can get an idea of the whole concept).

Last edited:
ok, then I will call them 'heavy rifled breechloading gun' do distinguish them from the 'light rifled breechloading gun' (75mm).

Are you an expert for artillery? I could need someone who would review my artillery techtree.

By no means an expert :) just did a history degree and spent a lot of time reading books on this sort of thing - did a big project on the transformation of the British/French/German armies on the western front from mostly infantry in 1914 to mostly artillery in 1918.

I could definitely give you some advice on it though usually fitting the game mechanics (i.e. research years) is more important than 100% historical accuracy :p

By no means an expert :) just did a history degree and spent a lot of time reading books on this sort of thing - did a big project on the transformation of the British/French/German armies on the western front from mostly infantry in 1914 to mostly artillery in 1918.

I could definitely give you some advice on it though usually fitting the game mechanics (i.e. research years) is more important than 100% historical accuracy :p

Please please do it ASAP, i've started to code the artillery tech tree and i wouldn't like to change everything...

And BTW if you could lend me a hand with armoured cars i'd appreciate it.

Last edited: