• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Did the empire rename itself thrice on the same day? That would not be WAD... and I can't really see how it would happen.
No it renamed itself three times over a few years
When I looked at the bloodlines it was probably the revolt or pretender, became the real empire, then because the new emperor was an old eunuch and no family he died very quickly and the next emperor changed its name

Can't say if odd or not; the Heirloom Seal of the Realm should be usurped alongside China, but it could in theory have ended up in the wrong hands for completely different reasons.
I genuinely don't remember how it happened
I only remember declaring war on the old empire for territory, the ruler died and the lunatic got the Heirloom Seal for some reason

Then I recruited the lunatic as an advisor
You may be able to guess who currently has the heirloom seal of the realm
:)

You seem to be missing a screenshot.
I don't get it

Not outside title modding.
How do I do that?

Also, I've never seen the mourning decision for my character
Does tribal government not do mourning

I also learned you don't get the necronomicon permanenyly
My dream of eldritch taoist pills is gone :(

Also does the evil fire dragon not appear in china

No it renamed itself three times over a few years
When I looked at the bloodlines it was probably the revolt or pretender, became the real empire, then because the new emperor was an old eunuch and no family he died very quickly and the next emperor changed its name

Then it might be working as it should; a dynasty change (in the CK2 sense) always results in a rename.

Also, I've never seen the mourning decision for my character
Does tribal government not do mourning

Only eligible feudal (is_feudal = yes; all the special Chinese governments pass this) rulers and their eligible courtiers have to mourn.

Also does the evil fire dragon not appear in china

The Emperor of Embers might still show up, but as his first appearance is tied to someone celebrating the start of the Year of the Fire Dragon and that only comes around once every sixty years it's very possible you'll not see him for a while.

The Emperor of Embers might still show up, but as his first appearance is tied to someone celebrating the start of the Year of the Fire Dragon and that only comes around once every sixty years it's very possible you'll not see him for a while.
Met Fredak

Several things
  • Pain
  • Dragon attacked my capital
  • Dragon cave province name is left blank in event (I think tianxia.6764 or the one you get after wounding fredak in the first encounter)
  • Character flag dragonslaying_lose_stressed never removed the stressed trait
  • Event ID tianxia.330 gave my character the option to become noreligion
  • tianxia.355 - tianxia357 don't chain to the next event properly

Met Fredak

Several things
  • Pain

He did warn you and did present an option that did not involve quite as many flammable people and buildings catching on fire...

• Dragon attacked my capital

Well, it's probably where you keep your riches and hold your parties...

• Dragon cave province name is left blank in event (I think tianxia.6764 or the one you get after wounding fredak in the first encounter)

Odd, seeing as there should be a province that's referenced; I will take a look.

• Character flag dragonslaying_lose_stressed never removed the stressed trait

Very strange, seeing as the event that fires where the flag is set makes use of the standard effect for removing Stressed...

• Event ID tianxia.330 gave my character the option to become noreligion

Odd; the event should select a province that has an owner, and all such provinces should have a religion by default...

• tianxia.355 - tianxia357 don't chain to the next event properly

Good catch; something to fix in 14.1.0.

Odd, seeing as there should be a province that's referenced; I will take a look.

Odd; the event should select a province that has an owner, and all such provinces should have a religion by default...
My save file lists

saved_event_target= { name="dragons_lair_province" province=3001 }
in 2681 = Chang'an

3001 is Pahali which does not have a dragons_lair_province flag
3001= { vars= { dragon_wounds=3.000 dragons_hoard=10000.000 prosperity_value=27.000 } name="Pahali" culture=jurchen religion=jurchen_pagan max_settlements=2 winter=3 b_pahali_zayi= { type=tribal date="883.2.1" tb_hillfort_1=yes tb_market_town_1=yes tb_training_grounds_1=yes tb_arsenal_1=yes tb_practice_range_1=yes tb_training_grounds_2=yes tb_culture_altaic_jurchen_1=yes tb_training_grounds_3=yes tb_shipyard_1=yes tb_arsenal_2=yes levy= { li=412.500 hi=19.500 lc=28.000 hc=7.000 ar=144.000 ga=9.000 } } technology= { tech_levels={1.300 1.100 1.600 2.000 1.100 1.400 1.300 1.600 1.500 1.000 1.300 1.000 1.200 1.400 1.600 1.500 2.000 1.300} } loot={6.000 6.000 5.000} primary_settlement="b_pahali_zayi" }

tianxia.330 uses the has_province_flag = dragons_lair_province
character_event = { id = tianxia.330 desc = EVTDESC_TIANXIA_330 picture = GFX_evt_bishop border = GFX_event_normal_frame_religion is_triggered_only = yes immediate = { random_province = { limit = { has_owner = yes any_independent_ruler = { any_realm_province = { has_province_flag = dragons_lair_province distance = { where = PREVPREV value < 500 } } } NOT = { religion = ROOT } } save_event_target_as = conversion_province } }

So two potential points of issue
Chang'an's dragons_lair_province is a saved_event_target
The province it references doesn't have a province_flag of dragons_lair_province

He did warn you and did present an option that did not involve quite as many flammable people and buildings catching on fire...
I'm still playing a tribal government
I don't think anything buildings caught on fire but it significantly dropped my prosperity value :(

Very strange, seeing as the event that fires where the flag is set makes use of the standard effect for removing Stressed...
No event fired for my character

Good catch; something to fix in 14.1.0.
I waited 3 years before I thought something wasn't right lol

Last edited:
My save file lists

saved_event_target= { name="dragons_lair_province" province=3001 }
in 2681 = Chang'an

3001 is Pahali which does not have a dragons_lair_province flag
3001= { vars= { dragon_wounds=3.000 dragons_hoard=10000.000 prosperity_value=27.000 } name="Pahali" culture=jurchen religion=jurchen_pagan max_settlements=2 winter=3 b_pahali_zayi= { type=tribal date="883.2.1" tb_hillfort_1=yes tb_market_town_1=yes tb_training_grounds_1=yes tb_arsenal_1=yes tb_practice_range_1=yes tb_training_grounds_2=yes tb_culture_altaic_jurchen_1=yes tb_training_grounds_3=yes tb_shipyard_1=yes tb_arsenal_2=yes levy= { li=412.500 hi=19.500 lc=28.000 hc=7.000 ar=144.000 ga=9.000 } } technology= { tech_levels={1.300 1.100 1.600 2.000 1.100 1.400 1.300 1.600 1.500 1.000 1.300 1.000 1.200 1.400 1.600 1.500 2.000 1.300} } loot={6.000 6.000 5.000} primary_settlement="b_pahali_zayi" }

tianxia.330 uses the has_province_flag = dragons_lair_province
character_event = { id = tianxia.330 desc = EVTDESC_TIANXIA_330 picture = GFX_evt_bishop border = GFX_event_normal_frame_religion is_triggered_only = yes immediate = { random_province = { limit = { has_owner = yes any_independent_ruler = { any_realm_province = { has_province_flag = dragons_lair_province distance = { where = PREVPREV value < 500 } } } NOT = { religion = ROOT } } save_event_target_as = conversion_province } }

So two potential points of issue
Chang'an's dragons_lair_province is a saved_event_target
The province it references doesn't have a province_flag of dragons_lair_province

It being a saved event target has no bearing on the province being selected, for good or bad. Just what's up with the flag will need to be checked; I don't recall off the top of my head if it was supposed to be removed (and/or replaced) everywhere or if the setting of it has been incorrectly removed (or has broken for other reasons).

I'm still playing a tribal government
I don't think anything buildings caught on fire but it significantly dropped my prosperity value :(

Well, a dragon burninating a province with extreme prejudice doesn't tend to leave a lot around... though he should perhaps not waste his time on tribals and their paltry trinkets in the first place...

No event fired for my character

Which also is pretty strange, because the flag is literally set just before firing the event in the same scope, and there's nothing in the event itself that can cause it to fail to fire when called in a character scope...

I waited 3 years before I thought something wasn't right lol

Unfortunate, but that's the sort of thing that can easily slip past testing; the error isn't one that'll get caught by an automated check, under some circumstances the event will work as expected, the event isn't guaranteed to happen for the people that get the overarching event chain, and the event chain is in theory meant to be somewhat rare (in practice, the player can make the attempt with a character that's vanishingly unlikely to even land a blow...), so you are the "lucky" person that came across a case where it did fire in a fashion that didn't work as intended. Again, something to fix in 14.1.0.

Well, a dragon burninating a province with extreme prejudice doesn't tend to leave a lot around... though he should perhaps not waste his time on tribals and their paltry trinkets in the first place...
In his defense I did have a lot of artifacts... and cheated in a lot of money

I think there should also be a proper lny closing event that comes after the dragon visit like "The Year of Element Zodiac abruptly ended after the arrival of the Emperor of Embers"
I might have still had the lny_in_progress modifier after the attack so I kept waiting for the next event

I had also joined an alliance war during lny celebration, I think there should be an end event for that too

Also, there should probably be a few days cooldown on the hunting for dragons decision
My character was locked in a do_not_disturb situation

I still have no ideas how to fix my name encoding issues
Some dynasty names were still House L
The artifact uses " " which is visible though
Some first names aren't visible at all because all of the letters were probably problematic
I was surprised I could see the name of the huntress since it started with ᚦ?

I also remember Tian Xu the child is still a kinslayer in this game

More Capitalization/or something else Localization

• king_of_na_gold_seal King of Na gold seal
  • five_stars_rise_in_the_east_arm_protector "Five stars rise in the East"?
  • put_down_south_qiang_arm_protector "Put down South Qiang"?
  • qin_bronze_chariot Qin bronze chariot
  • silk_painting_depicting_a_man_riding_a_dragon Silk painting of a man riding a dragon?
  • houmuwu_ding Houmuwu ding
  • tenjukoku_shucho_mandala Tenjukoku Shucho mandala
  • shaka_rising_from_the_gold_coffin Shaka rising from the Gold Coffin?
  • nishi_honganji_sanju_rokunin_kashu Nishi-Honganji-bon Sanju-rokunin-kashu? I don't know how Japanese is capitalized
  • gilt_bronze_maitreya_in_meditation_1 Gilt-bronze Maitreya in Meditation?
  • gilt_bronze_maitreya_in_meditation_2 Gilt-bronzeMaitreya in Meditation?
    • Are hyphenated words capitalized
  • ngoc_lu_drum Ngoc Lu drum?
    • ngoc_lu_drum_desc;This drum is believed to have been created in ancient times by the Lac Viet people and is decorated with depictions of people and animals.;;;;;;;;;;;;;xeither.;;;;;;;;;;;;;x I don't know what xeither is for
  • weilue Weil e? "ü" isn't visible
    • This entire time I thought it was Weil E
  • questions_and_replies_between_tang_taizong_and_li_weigong Questions and Replies between Emperor Taizong of Tang and Li Weigong?
    • My grammar isn't advanced enough for this :confused:
  • zhong_he_ji Zhong he ji
  • zhouyi_cantong_qi Zhouyi cantong qi

I only remember reading the word Grovel
I didn't read anything else and clicked the other option

Last edited:
I think there should also be a proper lny closing event that comes after the dragon visit like "The Year of Element Zodiac abruptly ended after the arrival of the Emperor of Embers"
I might have still had the lny_in_progress modifier after the attack so I kept waiting for the next event

I thought there was one, but there might not be.

I had also joined an alliance war during lny celebration, I think there should be an end event for that too

Feasts don't end on being dragged into a war as an ally in general as of the CleanSlate rewrite; for them to do that, you need an MTTH event checking if characters are at war, and that costs a lot more performance than just checking if you are part of a war when it starts.

Also, there should probably be a few days cooldown on the hunting for dragons decision
My character was locked in a do_not_disturb situation

There's a 120 month cooldown on it that has nothing to do with the flag...

I still have no ideas how to fix my name encoding issues
Some dynasty names were still House L
The artifact uses " " which is visible though
Some first names aren't visible at all because all of the letters were probably problematic
I was surprised I could see the name of the huntress since it started with ᚦ?

Can't help you there; we've not messed with the encoding of names, and the dragonslayer you're talking with gets a random Norse name.

I also remember Tian Xu the child is still a kinslayer in this game

Nothing strange there; we've not added any kind of retroactive fix for something like that.

• ICODE]king_of_na_gold_seal[/ICODE] King of Na gold seal
  • five_stars_rise_in_the_east_arm_protector "Five stars rise in the East"?
  • put_down_south_qiang_arm_protector "Put down South Qiang"?
  • qin_bronze_chariot Qin bronze chariot
  • silk_painting_depicting_a_man_riding_a_dragon Silk painting of a man riding a dragon?
  • houmuwu_ding Houmuwu ding
  • tenjukoku_shucho_mandala Tenjukoku Shucho mandala
  • shaka_rising_from_the_gold_coffin Shaka rising from the Gold Coffin?
  • nishi_honganji_sanju_rokunin_kashu Nishi-Honganji-bon Sanju-rokunin-kashu? I don't know how Japanese is capitalized
  • gilt_bronze_maitreya_in_meditation_1 Gilt-bronze Maitreya in Meditation?
  • gilt_bronze_maitreya_in_meditation_2 Gilt-bronzeMaitreya in Meditation?
    • Are hyphenated words capitalized
  • ngoc_lu_drum Ngoc Lu drum?
    • ngoc_lu_drum_desc;This drum is believed to have been created in ancient times by the Lac Viet people and is decorated with depictions of people and animals.;;;;;;;;;;;;;xeither.;;;;;;;;;;;;;x I don't know what xeither is for
  • weilue Weil e? "ü" isn't visible
    • This entire time I thought it was Weil E
  • questions_and_replies_between_tang_taizong_and_li_weigong Questions and Replies betweenEmperor Taizong of Tang and Li Weigong?
    • My grammar isn't advanced enough for this :confused:
  • zhong_he_ji Zhong he ji
  • zhouyi_cantong_qi Zhouyi cantong qi

Most of those appear to be correct.

- Could arguably be capitalised, but doesn't strictly need it.
- Correct as it is, though it should perhaps be "rising" rather than "rise"...
- Correct as it is.
- That's how that tends to be capitalised.
- As it should be.
- Possibly needs it.
- As it should be.
- Nothing wrong there.
- Ditto.
- Seems excessive to capitalise. The "xeither" thing looks like a copy-paste error, however.
- Odd that you'd have a missing "ü", but can't reproduce.
- Exactly as it is meant to be.
- No clear rules in Chinese; might be worth doing.
- Ditto.

I only remember reading the word Grovel
I didn't read anything else and clicked the other option

Well, the consequences of your actions caught up with you in swift order...

Feasts don't end on being dragged into a war as an ally in general as of the CleanSlate rewrite; for them to do that, you need an MTTH event checking if characters are at war, and that costs a lot more performance than just checking if you are part of a war when it starts.
Oh

There's a 120 month cooldown on it that has nothing to do with the flag...
If it isn't related I don't know where I got the flag
I thought it was because I backed out of the decision but started it again one day later
Whatever happened both lny_in_progress and do_not_disturb stayed

Most of those appear to be correct.

- Correct as it is, though it should perhaps be "rising" rather than "rise"...
- Correct as it is.
- That's how that tends to be capitalised.
- As it should be.
- Possibly needs it.
- As it should be.
- Nothing wrong there.
- Ditto.
- Seems excessive to capitalise. The "xeither" thing looks like a copy-paste error, however.
- Exactly as it is meant to be.
- No clear rules in Chinese; might be worth doing.
- Ditto.
I think why I think a lot of them should be capitalized is because I'm reading the names like they are titles

Then I may have to find a way to create my own working localization files
Both working and broken "ü" in the localization file look like "⍰" to me

Update
I checked the github and saw there wasn't an issue with the "ü"

I'm thinking the issue might be the text editor I've been using
Because it views some of the symbols as "⍰" I think whenever I save an edit, the text editor has been automatically replacing them with " "
Using a different one that displays the symbol now

It's still weird because entering "ü" manually is okay but not the ones that are in the original file?

If I don't see any more weird names after 50 years pass then my guess is probably right

I don't know if I should continue the current run or start a new one

Edit
qin_bronze_chariot also doesn't appear naturally in the game
Is the discovery quest for it supposed to be special

Last edited:
Update
I checked the github and saw there wasn't an issue with the "ü"

I'm thinking the issue might be the text editor I've been using
Because it views some of the symbols as "⍰" I think whenever I save an edit, the text editor has been automatically replacing them with " "
Using a different one that displays the symbol now
I recommend using Notepad++ and never changing the character encoding of a file unless you're sure that doing so will correct an error and not introduce any new ones.

nd

Reactions:
Lol
This entire time I've been using the basic Notepad

I never changed the file character encoding settings and I don't see why I would
The thing is, a lot of basic editors will silently change to their own preferred encoding. It's nothing you've done wrong - it's a false assumption in the software. If you're getting into modding yourself, Notepad++ will be a very useful tool!

nd

• 1Like
Reactions:
Is there any chance this mod will add new or other buildings for holdings

Or add potential gold/salt mines to different counties

Also I think the Pope once spawned with The Art of War and I don't know how to feel about that

Gui for bloodlines might have to be extended
Picture for grand_chancellor_bloodline_war:
grand_chancellor_bloodline_war_gui.png

grand_chancellor_bloodline_war_gui_2.png

Also do landlocked trade posts not count towards trade zone size? All the ones under direct control still say it's size 1

Is there any chance this mod will add new or other buildings for holdings

It's for the most part unlikely; it's possible we'll at some point decide to review cultural buildings again (but we just did that, so don't expect it anytime soon) and that we might add buildings as a consequence of that, and there's one very specific thing in the distant future that I have planned that will involve some building tweaks -- I will not be elaborating on this until such a time that the work in question actually is being done -- and perhaps additions, but outside that I don't really see us adding any buildings for a few different reasons:

- Buildings can be surprisingly costly from a performance standpoint, and performance is always worth keeping in mind, particularly as there aren't too many things we can do to improve on it.

- Adding buildings across the board messes with vanilla, and we generally don't mess with vanilla without sufficient justification ("More buildings would be nice!" is insufficient justification).

- Most buildings wouldn't make sense to only add in our part of the map, and we are not looking for buildings that would make sense to add only in our part of the map.

Or add potential gold/salt mines to different counties

Extremely unlikely; those are only intended to be used for the Trans-Sahara Trade Route's associated gold/salt mines, not for gold/salt mines in general, and we're not really going to expand said trade route (and I don't see us adding gold/salt mines along the Silk Road "just because").

Also I think the Pope once spawned with The Art of War and I don't know how to feel about that

He owns a Silk Road province, so he's eligible as currently implemented, and adding specific exceptions for him is rather unwarranted.

Gui for bloodlines might have to be extended
Picture for grand_chancellor_bloodline_war:
grand_chancellor_bloodline_war_gui.png

grand_chancellor_bloodline_war_gui_2.png

I'm not sure how much more that interface can be extended without it looking weird in other ways, and currently don't see myself revisiting it anytime soon.

Also do landlocked trade posts not count towards trade zone size? All the ones under direct control still say it's size 1

They very possibly don't count, seeing as trade zones are only a thing that concerns MRs and those are hardcoded messes tied to coastal trade (within sea provinces that have a connection to their capital). It's not something we've changed, and it's not something we'll be spending time trying to change.

I am reasonably confident that there will be a dev diary somewhere around next weekend, covering some parts of the alchemist society (there will be at least one additional dev diary about the society later on).

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Dev diary 80: The Renowned Apothecary Society (part 1)

This is the first dev diary related to the new society, and will be focusing on society powers and missions. However, before we get to those things, there is another thing to mention that also will affect the Hermetics.

New ingredients:

The Renowned Apothecary Society will be reusing the ingredient system that the Hermetics already have -- in fact, they will make even greater use of ingredients -- seeing as it makes quite a bit of sense, even though some of the Hermetic ingredients are a bit odd (particularly the animal body part ones). As such, it made sense to take a look at the ingredient list and add some new ones.

The following ingredients have been added:

- Ivy
- Lotus
- Dodder
- Broadleaf Plantain
- Boxthorn
- Foxglove
- Lead
- Antimony
- Cobalt
- Manganese
- Nickel
- Blue Vitriol
- Green Vitriol
- Red Vitriol
- White Vitriol
- Saltpeter
- Cinnabar
- Realgar
- Green Jade
- Lavender Jade
- Yellow Jade
- Orange Jade
- Brown Jade
- Black Jade

Some of these were used in Chinese alchemy, some of them were used in alchemy in general, and some are just additions to expand the available options (e.g. various kinds of jade were primarily used for vessels to brew potions in in Chinese alchemy, but conceivably could also be used in the potions themselves).

With that out of the way, let's get to the Renowned Apothecary Society. Here's the society window. Some localisation for the society might be missing, seeing as it is still rather WIP. Note that the "Temple vassal opinion" likely will be changed; it's copy-paste from the Hermetics.

ck2_6.png

Society ranks and powers:

New members of the Renowned Apothecary Society start out as a Novice. The powers available at this rank can be seen below.

ck2_8.png

Become Court Alchemist:

Aside from the associated minor title (see below), this power has not yet been implemented. However, being the Court Alchemist will be very powerful, as it both will put you in a position to maybe create some not-so-helpful potions for certain people and the position to ask for stuff in return (Favours, money, etc.) when someone asks you for a potion. Exactly how this will work will be covered in a future dev diary.

ck2_4.png

Acquire Ingredients:

This is very close to the Hermetics' decision by the same name. However, no apprentice is required (you don't get one), and there might be options available that the Hermetics do not have.

ck2_11.png

Self-Experimentation:

As every self-respecting mad scientist knows, experimenting on yourself is reasonable, at least when you lack other test subjects. This is also partially based on history, as there were alchemists that tried their own concoctions.

ck2_16.png

Experimenting on yourself is, as you might imagine, quite possibly going to result in some side-effects, though it is a good way to gain insights if you don't have other options available. A number of ingredients -- not all, but quite a few -- have specific effects, good or bad, and there is also some generic outcomes; I will not go into too many details, but women that are pregnant -- or that might be pregnant -- might wish to be careful with certain ingredients, and there are variables to track both lead and Mercury poisoning. What could possibly go wrong?

Sell Potions:

Selling potions is a decent option to earn money, and perhaps to do some other things. More skilled alchemists will generally do better at what they are trying to do. You might have the option to sell potions in the provinces of other characters within the same top realm at times, but the local ruler could potentially get suspicious, even if you actually are trying to help.

ck2_19.png

Members that advance to the rank of Apothecary gain access to the powers shown below.

ck2_21.png

Conduct Potion Test:

This is inspired by something that occasionally happened historically in China. You can offer one of your adult prisoners their freedom in exchange for them taking part in a scientific experiment; quite possibly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

ck2_22.png

If they refuse, you cannot ask again for five years. If they accept, a variety of outcomes can happen, ranging from the target feeling a lot better to the target dying. As participation is voluntary you will not get execution/tyranny opinions or Kinslayer traits should things go wrong, and your council has no say in the matter. There might be some slight cheating depending on how much you like the target (e.g. rivals might be more likely to get not-so-helpful potions), but this is not a guaranteed "Kill the target" decision. You are expected to honour your agreement, should the target survive; only a tyrant would do otherwise!

ck2_23.png

Conduct Laboratory Experiment:

Assuming you have an alchemical laboratory (spoiler for the next main part of this dev diary: The "Construct Laboratory" and "Infiltrate Laboratory" missions have been ported from the Hermetics with only minor changes), you can conduct laboratory experiments. This is generally safer than experimenting on yourself -- and does not require an imprisoned test subject -- but it still has the potential to go wrong. Again, there are ingredient-specific events for some ingredients.

Brew Healing Potion:

This power allows you to brew healing potions for yourself or your courtiers, should the target be feeling unwell. The target might turn it down, should they feel less like trusting you. Depending on how well you know what you are doing, the target may or may not get better. When taking this decision, the assumption is that you are trying to help to the best of your ability, so you will not get a "Ha; I'm poisoning you!" option (spoiler alert for a future dev diary: Court Alchemists will have such options).

Members that advance to the rank of Master Apothecary gain access to the powers shown below.

ck2_24.png

Choose Alchemist Lifestyle:

This power allows you to select the Mystic, Gardener, and Master Schemer lifestyles in exchange for a small amount of society currency, and to swap between the three.

Brew Clarity Potion:

This power allows you to brew clarity potions for yourself or your courtiers, should the target be Stressed, Depressed, or suffering from certain other issues. Again, the assumption is that you are trying to help, success depends on how well you know what you are doing, and the target might turn down the potion.

Brew Fertility Potion:

This power allows you to brew fertility potions for yourself or your courtiers, with some restrictions (e.g. no brewing them for Eunuchs). The target might turn it down, should they feel less like trusting you (or be less interested in having children). Same deal as above for the rest.

Members that advance all the way to the rank of Grand Apothecary gain access to the powers shown below.

ck2_25.png

Interview Alchemist:

As it says, this power allows you to interview lower-ranking members of the Renowned Apothecary Society. If they are cooperative, you might learn some of what they know, which might help you do better.

Brew Aphrodisiac:

This power allows you to brew aphrodisiac for yourself or your courtiers, with some restrictions (e.g. no brewing them for your own spouse if you are Celibate). Same deal as with the potions above.

Combat Disease:

Not much to say that's not in the screenshot. Potentially quite useful if there is a disease outbreak.

Brew Immortality Potion:

This power is not yet implemented, but you can probably guess what it does. Historically, this was what most Chinese alchemists at least supposedly were trying to do (some might not have been completely honest...), whether for themselves or for those willing to pay them. For now, all I will say about this is that even the best alchemist will be far more likely to fail -- with the outcome involving varying degrees of madness or death -- than to succeed, even assuming they're not trying to do something harmful and that supernatural events are enabled.

Excepting a small number of events (locked behind the relevant game rule) and a successful Immortality Potion (also locked behind the relevant game rule), none of the society powers are explicitly supernatural, though characters well might believe they are. For example, the event below might be due to a mere placebo, due to a placebo and unrelated factors (e.g. maybe the character started dressing less slovenly), or due to magic, depending on how you wish to interpret it.

ck2_26.png

Renowned Apothecary Society missions:

There are eight possible missions for the society (some require specific ranks), all but two of them tied to the society powers.

- Acquire Ingredients. Unavailable if you have too many ingredients.

- Engage in Self-Experimentation. Requires at least two ingredients.

- Sell Potions. Requires at least two ingredients.

- Construct Alchemical Laboratory; required prior to being able to carry out Laboratory Experiments, and largely based off of the Hermetics' "Construct Laboratory" event chain. Only available for Apothecaries or higher.

- Infiltrate Laboratory. All but a copy-paste of the Hermetics' mission/event chain by the same name (including most of the localisation). Requires a valid target.

- Conduct Laboratory Experiment. Requires at least two ingredients and having completed the "Construct Alchemical Laboratory" quest. Only available for Apothecaries or higher.

- Conduct Potion Test. Requires at least two ingredients and a prisoner (that the quest giver doesn't like too much (even if there's nothing preventing you from selecting someone they like after accepting the mission...)). Only available for Apothecaries or higher.

- Brew Immortality Potion. Only available for Grand Apothecaries.

That's all for this dev diary. There should be at least one more dev diary -- most likely also about the RAS (I currently think there will be three dev diaries focusing on the society in question) -- within the next few weeks; potentially there might also be a small dev diary about something completely unrelated to the main focus of 14.1.0, should I get around to working on the relevant thing.

Last edited:
  • 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
1708377391725.png

"Permanent Regent" makes me think this is supposed to be for Japan, is this a bug?