META THREAD: Warlock Wishlist - Post ALL your Suggestions here...

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spell Suggestion: Vault/Jump. The melee unit gains the ability to attack flying units.

There is currently no spell that enables a ground melee unit to attack air units while still allowing other ground units to target it. Levitate has two disadvantages- Levitate prevents other ground units from attacking the enchanted unit (a disadvantage when trying to clear enemies quickly in the otherworlds) and Levitate has a large upkeep.

Warlock has many enchantments that allow you to tweak your units in interesting ways- this spell would continue that theme if added.

How about some modding tools?

The AI nedds some improvement asap and with modding tools the community can enhance this game very easy, mods always make a game far better and let it life far longer then games which can't be modded.

Harder difficulty levels - even with a better AI it is always good to have a harder starting point.
Perhaps drop one of the below normal options, and add one harder level.
Then add an option to boost AI Great Mages - I wonder if part of the problem at harder levels is the harder GMs aren't any better against the harder Neutrals.

An option to alter the difficulty of external worlds - easy but low resource, medium as current, hard but high resource and high frequency of critters wandering to the main plane.

Random Gods - the argument for random spell research also implies that the Gods should not be the same every game. The easy solution is to randomly position the gods on the circle. This means when you select a divine spell perk you only know which deity it is for, you don't know which other deities it is moving you towards or away from. A more advanced option would add a few extra gods and not all would appear every time - harder to justify in terms of the back story but produces a more varied game. In the latter case I would change the divine perks to a single perk that gives you a holy ground just outside your starting city.

Modding possibilities. Mods keep games alive – there is no doubt about that.

Mage activities in world view. In the normal world view, it would be helpful knowing there what spells the other mages currently cast. I’m often too busy and drawn with my own stuff that I hardly ever check the diplomacy screen. I was also once surprised I had a mana leech on me. With many buildings built at same time and resources changing, you tend to oversee such things. Small portraits or icons of the mages on the left or right indicating currently spells cast and global effects on you would be helpful.

Hero units with unique abilities, findable/recruitable/summonable similar like in Master of Magic once upon a time.

Optional victory conditions when starting a session. I’d prefer elimination only, for example.

Game settings: the game should remember your last set options when starting a new game: world settings and mage with name/perks/spells/colors. It’s tedious to reset this at every new game.

Razing buildings. The game already recognizes missing requirement buildings when you conquer cities and loosing buildings this way, what sets some inactive. So why can’t we raze buildings by ourselves then?

A hotkey for Sentry would be helpful.
And please don't make units wake up in sentry mode when other peaceful mage units are nearby.

Some suggestions:

- Change allegiance spell (also for stealing neutrals i.e. ogres)
- Monster hut control (player can choose not to loot a hut, if a cities influence radius includes monster hut then player can recruit from the hut)
- More human races (nomads, barbarians)
- Better implementation of portals and other worlds (AI can compete in other worlds)
- Worker unit (build forts & roads)
- Roads
- Heroes & magic items
- Item enchant
- Sea portals
- Recruitable sea monsters (for monster faction)

Some of these features are present in Master of Magic. Although Warlock is a great game it does lack some depth and I cant see why these features (hereos, magic items, roads etc.) have not been included given Warlock has almost 20 years advantage of programming tech etc. on Master of Magic.

I was under the impression that someone was pooling the suggestion on the first page. I mean unless the devs are amazing sweethearts and having nothing to do except to go through pages of suggestions, it'd be nice to whoever started this thread to do so. :)

Some suggestions:

- Change allegiance spell (also for stealing neutrals i.e. ogres)
- Monster hut control (player can choose not to loot a hut, if a cities influence radius includes monster hut then player can recruit from the hut)
- More human races (nomads, barbarians)
- Better implementation of portals and other worlds (AI can compete in other worlds)
- Worker unit (build forts & roads)
- Roads
- Heroes & magic items
- Item enchant
- Sea portals
- Recruitable sea monsters (for monster faction)

Some of these features are present in Master of Magic. Although Warlock is a great game it does lack some depth and I cant see why these features (hereos, magic items, roads etc.) have not been included given Warlock has almost 20 years advantage of programming tech etc. on Master of Magic.

yes, yes yes!!!!!!!

Please ignore if these have already been posted. I don't read these forums.

UI requests:

- Offer "fast animation" mode, which only plays the last 100 milliseconds (or so) of animations. I do not care about the beginning of an animation. Just want to see my units that died in the turn, got to their destination, etc.

- Fix the "click-flow" of the game. If I have a unit that needs to move, have it pop up before "end turn". In other words, have a virtual "end turn" event happen (after the last in the to-do list has been addressed), bringing up all further unfinished business before making the "finish turn" button available.

- Time out unit selection when a path is chosen. If I don't click on anything after 1 second of selecting a path, automatically deselect the unit, so when I click on an empty city, it doesn't change the path the unit is on, it selects the city instead. This has given so much frustration. Sound effects would further clarify that a unit is still selected.

- Please don't make me reach way over to the other side of the screen to hit guard button. I want the turn to go as fast as possible.

- Alternatively, make guard automatic and moving/healing can toggle out of guard back and forth without penalty ("no you clicked the button! you don't get to move the unit now!").

[EDIT - also - after selecting a construction site for a building, if everything in the city is grey (no units to buy) - just leave the city automatically. Done!]

Thanks. I love this game!

Last edited:
A limit to how many monsters spawn from spawn sites. It seems to be able to stop the AI from expanding at times. Near the end of my last game - I found about 10 ogres stopping one AI from expanding east.

^This is actually really good idea. It would also make other wolds more manageable.

In fact, it would be great if it is somehow tied to difficulty levels. At least lower ones, where numbers could be lower.

Offer "fast animation" mode, which only plays the last 100 milliseconds (or so) of animations. I do not care about the beginning of an animation. Just want to see my units that died in the turn, got to their destination, etc.
Good but we also need an option to add 250ms delay after the end of an animation so that we can see if it has lived or died before the map scrolls somewhere else.

Fix the "click-flow" of the game. If I have a unit that needs to move, have it pop up before "end turn". In other words, have a virtual "end turn" event happen (after the last in the to-do list has been addressed), bringing up all further unfinished business before making the "finish turn" button available.
Or just a button and hotkey that does "move all units with orders now". This is useful as you can then choose when they move.

Time out unit selection when a path is chosen. If I don't click on anything after 1 second of selecting a path, automatically deselect the unit, so when I click on an empty city, it doesn't change the path the unit is on, it selects the city instead. This has given so much frustration. Sound effects would further clarify that a unit is still selected.
Both good ideas - but 1 second is too short, you would end up timing out all the time. A 2 second idle (i.e. no movement) timeout might be better. In addition to sound the mouse should change - so it shows a move unit to here when it will move a unit, and a select unit when it will select a unit.

Please don't make me reach way over to the other side of the screen to hit guard button. I want the turn to go as fast as possible.
Everything needs to be able to be done by hotkeys - this is a very popular request.

also - after selecting a construction site for a building, if everything in the city is grey (no units to buy) - just leave the city automatically. Done!
I would prefer it not to - and most of the time it won't exit as most cities can build a settler.
I generally find that I am in the city view for one of two reasons.
1. I am going through the cities that can build - so a button to take me to the next one would be good, especially as I may want to see which cities can build before making a decision.
2. I am looking to build a unit - so a button to take me to the next city with a unit other than settler. Another button to take me to the next such city that isn't building would also be useful, as would limiting it to cities with units I can afford.

Thanks. I love this game!
Me two.

I have been playing strategy games for a long time and REALLY enjoy Warlock. :cool: With some improvements, the game would truly be legendary. Here's my wishlist after about ten playthroughts on impossible. When I state a problem, I will also try to state some possible solutions.

1) "We have found a portal to another world!". The other universes could be improved in many ways.
-First, more variety in tilesets, monsters and loot. Currently the alternative universes are a bit repetitive.
-Second, universes of varying difficulty levels so that one does not know what to expect.
-Third, the AI needs to be able to explore and conquer these. Currently they grant a massive advantage to the human player. (For example, in my latest game I conquered one universe, built 10 extra cities there and reqruited a Gold dragon by turn 70).
-Fourth, these universes should have more than one entrance, so that the universes could be used as a means of travel, and so they would be more difficult to defend. This would add to the strategy and also help the AI to attack these dimensions.
-Fifth, I would make the alternate universes smaller, so the advantage they give is smaller, and the exploration of several universes is possible. Smaller universes would be more balanced. However, I know that some others would prefer them to be larger. Maybe make it possible to change this when starting a game?
-Sixth, (as a wild idea for an expansion) maybe there could be an AI race comparable to the Antarans in Master of Orion 2 which could spawn in one of the alternative universes, conquer it over time and start attacking Ardania.
-Seventh, give portals to different worlds different colors, so we can remember their destinations easier.

2) AI weak points need to be fixed.
-First, the AI often expands too little. Sometimes AI's do get a decent number of cities, but often even on Impossible I fight against AI's who don't bother to expand beyond their initial 2-3 cities.
-Second, the AI can't handle temple units / blessed and upgraded units well. It emphasizes quantity of units of quality. In the early game this is ok, but even on Impossible the AI tends to always fall behind in the tech race. Three suggestions for fixing this.
A) Some of the problem may be solved by nerfing some of the divine blessings, damage blessings and purchased gear somewhat. 50% damage increase on Vampiric weapons and Fire weapons is a lot, for example. And Fervus' blessings are extremely good for their cost.
B) The problem may be further solved by making the AI prioritize dispelling highly buffed units, and making good dispel spells more available than they are. Right now dispel is divided into too many categories, and its difficult to get to a really well working dispel which would dispel all / at least the majority of buffs from a unit. Maybe even the earlier dispels could remove more than one buff, but it could be a bit random - for example, the first dispel removes 1-3 random buffs from a unit, the next one more and so on. Or the earliest dispel could work on any spell, but have only a 50 % success rate, while the next one has 75% and so on.
C) Program the AI to get high level units, or even make it cheat a bit on impossible?
-Third, the AI tends to lose units on the ocean a lot, often losing high value units while in boats to shooters. The AI is generally not very good on island maps. Not sure what could be done about this.
-Fourth, the AI sometimes makes demands when its in no position to attack, and then makes peace on the following turn for much less (sometimes even giving me cash for making peace). On the other hand, the AI also makes small demands sometimes when it really should just attack and take my cities. I tested and in the early game, I can expand pretty safely without making any offensive units. The AI's can outnumber me 10-1, and yet they will not attack as long as I keep accepting their demands. And their demands will be very small as long as I keep spending my money and mana. So, make the AI more aggressive in the right circumstances, and less aggressive in the wrong circumstances.
-Towers need to have some sort of upgrades to make them better, since the AI likes to use them so much. Maybe building a military academy or some other structure could give a global improvement to towers, and some local buildings could give similar benefits? E.g. the number of buildings in a city could affect the towers' effectiveness. And cities should not lose population when towers are destroyed (this is currently a major drawback to towers) - rather, lost towers could be automatically rebuilt after say 3 turns of their destruction.

3) Some interface fixes:
-hotkeys for unit tasks
-units that have been made to sleep should not wake when units of a friendly mage come near
-screen for an overview of my empire, with unit list and city list would be nice, but is not really a top priority.
+edit: Oh, I forgot: an AUTOMATIC CITY GOVERNOR /manage is totally needed for maps larger than small. For many of the cities, I will simply want to optimize the building of one resource. So the game could allow me to set a city to focus on producing gold, food, or mana/research. This would eliminate a lot of tedious and repetitive micromanagement. To make this work even better, make the game inform the player about these building projects similarly to the way it currently announces completed projects. E.g. make a new icon for them, make it show some text on the map rather than taking us to the city screen (e.g. "New Garona is now building Market"), and make scrolling through these announcements optional.

4)Other random ideas:
-Some single player scenarios would be cool, as in the Civilization games. Fantasy Wars and Elven Legacy include many excellent scenarios, so I have no doubt that the designers can create these. Give us the map of Ardania or a portion of it to fight over. I would be willing to pay a little bit for a good scenario DLC.
-Please tell us what your plans for the future of Warlock are. Will there be expansions? Will there be patches? What is the direction you are taking this game in? A developer interview would be cool.
-victory screen with stats, hall of fame and achievements would be cool.

Last edited:
AI cheats with settlers: it can build a city without any movement points left. I noticed it when a settler was moving from lava field to lava field and building a city right afterwards in the same turn. I demand justice here!

Prolly mentioned before, but remove that exploit with setting guard mode by g-key when a unit has normally already done something else in that turn. I...can't...resist!

It would be more effective maybe if the AI cities always attack before units. It looks like AI units always attack before AI cities. Ranged attacks always soften up hostile units without casualties. It's possible in a turn that AI units force hostile units to retreat away from cities what would sacrifice damage and cause unnecessary damage to own AI units in melee.

Last edited:
Picked up Warlock: MotA last weekend and really enjoy it so far.

I think just about all the suggestions in this thread are surprisingly good also- shocking for a community forum ;)

In terms of content, I'd agree with most people here that an expansion of water units/buildings/options would be something that should immediately add new play options and experiences for me. Right now island mode is pretty underwhelming, and my navy units spend most of their time running from krakens/serpents/towers until I can get a major 5-6 on 1 advantage. Ways to upgrade your current ship units would be great, along with additional water units- mermaids, naga, dolphins, sharks with laser beams all sound like goofy fantasy fun! The lack of use for water tiles has been well covered too. The only thing I'd depart from other posters on is I wouldn't expect to see a mermaid/naga/etc become a completely separate faction from monsters/humans/undead. Making a faction that would likely have significant benefits (or weaknesses) depending solely on the map choice doesn't seem like a great idea.

Expanded air units would also be nice, but for some reason I feel like it's less a tactics changer than water stuff.

Also agreeing with the posts talking about the need to be able to cast more spells and chew through your mana reserves faster. I don't think it should be limitless, and I'm still learning new enchants to take advantage of (I didn't appreciate how much you could buff up a single ratman robber unit for early pillaging), but it does seem like the one-spell-per-round limit does keep me from experimenting much. From a non-content perspective I think a change here would vastly expand replayability...

A thought on the other worlds: I do enjoy them, but agree with most everyone here that the wall of mobs is a bit annoying. However I also think it's a bit annoying that once you've cleared out the monster nodes, they're pure safe zones. It seems more like there should be a fair number of mobs at first, but regardless of how many monster nodes you clear out there will always be a few random spawns every few turns. It'll make the entry barrier lower, but the maintenance costs of those areas a little higher (garrisons, towers, etc).

Finally- I enjoy the gods reputation game, but it can be a little hard to figure out and manage...in part because I'm unfamiliar with the lore and also because it seems like most of the reputation gains come from those quests? I might suggest a building or two like a church that allows you to set up who a town worships to provide a small consistent bonus to your reputation with that god? That combined with random altars in the world you can loot or leave tokens for would be nice minor ways to give players more control over their reputation strategy.

One more idea:
Subtle conquer...like you could "hire" neutral monsters to attack specific warlock without him knowing that. Or spell that spawns neutral monsters / lairs. There could be endless possibilities with this one.

As for the difficulty in conquering other worlds some kind of charm spell for neutrals would be very insteresting.

Ill add my 2cents....

1. Have the portraits of rival encountered Great Mages on the main screen when they are casting something. Along with the spells they are casting. (Above the UNIT COMMANDS). So its easier to decide if and when to dispel. (If isnt enough, swap with the Quest icons)

2. CHange the way unit upgrades (perks) can be purchased. Its too easy to mega equip units in the field. Id prefer they have to visit (be in the borders of the city w/. the actual building) but this is probably to restrictive. Therefore, having a cap on the number of upgrades that can be brought / level + a level cost modifier.

So UPG1 = 50 gold, UPG2 = 75 gold UPG 3 = 100 gold, UPG4 = 50

Dwarves lvl1 buy UPG1 for 50 gold
@ lvl2 they get UPG2 for 150gold & UPG4 for 100gold
@ lvl3 they get UPG3 for 300gold.....etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.