• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
say did anyone already posted this in the bay12-forums?

we apear to have the same sort of fun as they do

and know I have to get some ice for my butt which was kicked by mexico a fair number of times

*Pop Up Windows
On the same note, I really don't understand where the inspiration came from for the Notification toolbar on the bottom right side of the screen above the map. I was just fine with pop-up windows telling me about what's happening (and I changed the settings to reflect that). It would take quite a bit of getting used to for me to want to open every one of those notifications every time something happens.

I think the minimized notifications are one of the nicest new features of V2. we have been talking about doing them for ages because popups can be very frustrating in multiplayer and you want to be able to look through them when you have the time, not when the game tells you to. I have important popups still on popup semi-important as icons and unimportant in log or not at all. this means if I get time I can tooltip and open the interesting minimized ones, or if I'm too busy in war just ignore them.

about random vents, sounds like it might need a toning down. either that or I broke something when I cut down the time limitation for the demo.

Well. I guess I'm just a special case? :wacko:
If you right click the demo and click "run as administrator" you ought to get a settings file. Although edditing it still won't make it windowed mode for me for some reason :/

nobody really requested this much, but you are probably right when it comes to large nations. might be worth considering for 1.02 as well.

Perhaps a toggle-able thing to let you see units when zoomed out in case people don't want to spoil the prettyness of the map.
And on a related note, can we have a toggle for seeing all the movement arrows of your units? (Or is there already one and I just managed to miss it?)

My budget keeps decreasing until I am well in the red. I was never this bad at vicky1! Certainly looks a lot better than vicky1 did at launch by a long shot, I may even pre-order. Anyone have any sort of tips for balancing my initial budget please?

I've played through once and I noticed something weird...

Bad:
-Japan and China fought together against Britain, I thought Japan was isolationist during this time period?
-I like Victoria 1's interface better (I'm weird)
-Is there a list of shortcuts/hotkeys? My mouse hand already hurts.
-Civil war was early (doesn't bother me), and the CSA didn't seem to be powerful... I ended it quickly.
Good:
-Britain was really using its super power status and trying to destroy my SOI.
-Prussia and Austria fought a number of wars for hegemony of Germany, very intense war followed with Prussia winning.
-Armies and navies are easy to build but expensive to maintain, and no more manual reinforcement!
-I had to take loans in the beginning in order to fight Mexico, after the war I was able to make profit (ended with over 200k)
-Research seems nice and slow. Or am I doing something wrong? :)
-Liberal's slow advance was almost complete by the end of the civil war (47% or so)

All in all I found it to be enjoyable and quite easy to figure what you must do... however I was very confused that the clergy class was shrinking even with 100% budget. Oh and the best was that it ran fast on my laptop. Just my feedback, but I'm sure these problems and features have been made aware before.

Edit: The price graph in the ledger after the game ends does not work. All the lines appear at the top of the screen.

Spent all evening just looking at stuff, haven't even unpaused yet.

Any particular reason why nearly every American province has some sort of organised crime activity going on?

Have you ever been in the US ? it´s routine :rofl:

Can´t w8 for friday I needz the game :D

Was the money bug still present in the demo? Because it was rather easy to maintain giant sums of money but the opposite was easy aswell.

Is the demo same as final version of the game (minus some soundtracks) or are there additional events, decisions, etc. for the original game?

Aww man the demo's great. I took a few creative liberties to pull off awesome stuff like this! :rofl:

Thanks Paradox! :D

Beautiful.jpg

I think the minimized notifications are one of the nicest new features of V2. we have been talking about doing them for ages because popups can be very frustrating in multiplayer and you want to be able to look through them when you have the time, not when the game tells you to. I have important popups still on popup semi-important as icons and unimportant in log or not at all. this means if I get time I can tooltip and open the interesting minimized ones, or if I'm too busy in war just ignore them.

about random vents, sounds like it might need a toning down. either that or I broke something when I cut down the time limitation for the demo.

I think it's a function of me trying to play the game at the speed I'm used to playing EU3/Vicky1, which is much faster. I think Vicky 2 is going to be a situation where even if you only play at speed 1, there's going to be enough for you to do that you really don't need to speed it up. I mean I played the whole demo through on speed 2, and at times it felt too fast. I think that's a good thing though. It'll take a good while to get through a single game.

- I couldn't figure out how to check my current infamy.
- The game starts at an ok speed but slows to a crawl as time goes by (optimization issue).
- The same events keep popping too frequently.
- When we zoom out we lose track of where our armies are (could be like EU3, when zoomed out the sprites become little squares that look like the flag of the owner of the army).
- I don't know what rebels want me to do (no information on their respective pop up).

- The same events keep popping too frequently.
- When we zoom out we lose track of where our armies are (could be like EU3, when zoomed out the sprites become little squares that look like the flag of the owner of the army).
I have these 2 issues as well, I'd like the flag of the owner when zoomed out. Also, its only a few events (like the moral crusaders). Your infamy is listed under diplomacy... I think you have to be on the show wars tab to see it.

the demo is COMPLETELY AWESOME

but does the united states of central america not fall apart anymore?
but
its AWESOME
and beautiful and it runs perfectly
i cant wait for the game

Just finished playing the 15 years and I gotta say.. I'm impressed! The music, the map, the interface. It's definitely got the Victorian feel! And the amount of information available for the player is mind staggering - I was pretty much paralysed the first couple of game time weeks until I got the feel of it.
I went to war with Mexico early on only to find that my economy could not sustain it - borrowed 5000 pounds, status quo'ed the war and got the economy back on track. I liked that. Back in Vicky 1 I remember how wars would almost never bleed me dry, something I found very unrealistic as well as unchallenging. I got to do some colonising as well countering Mexican colonisation on good American soil and this taught me the importance of the Colonisation map mode, which I find very informative! One of my favourite battles of this game however was fought in Africa, more precisely it was fought over Liberia and not with weapons, but with influence. For the better part of ten years I fought for influence there against the British, after they sneakily had raised their influence and removed Liberia from my Sphere - finally though, I managed to get their Ambassador expelled which won me the time to establish my hegemony over Liberia. This 'war of words and influence' not only adds a sense that you are not alone in having plans for the world, but also counts as quite a bit of fun on top of the more 'day-to-day' country management.
This little adventure of mine ended, after beating Mexico for the rest of Texas and New Mexico, with my house getting rather divided, which of course I disliked as I wouldn't want to see my 15 years of caring administration end in the hands of some straw-chewing farm boys that can't even be bothered to pluck their own cotton. However, rest assured that when my 15 years of fame ran up, only a handful of Confederate provinces were free of the tight Union grip.

All in all, Vicky 2 seems like a fantastic game and I'll preorder it first thing in the morning -on my birthday no less :p Cheers Paradox!

Well, I played it a bit more, and had significantly more success this time through. Saved/annexed Texas, got a dependable (if low) surplus going, colonized historical U.S. territory...

Occupying provinces takes way too long, from what I can tell. One brigade seems to do it just as fast as ten. On a related note, why does it take so much longer to build railroads, factories, or just research than in Vicky 1 (or, for that matter, even to be able to order a retreat from a battle)? Particularly since they seem to be integral to getting a workable budget.

Overall, I'm pleased with the look of the map. The world actually looks like... the world. However, at anything higher than the lowest resolution, it becomes practically impossible for me to actually see things like state or province borders, and even then I sometimes have problems. I think it was a poor choice to leave the terrain graphics on regardless of what map mode your in. It might not have been so bad if, for instance, country colors were sharper or brighter (like in Vicky1), but they're all so grimy and diluted (except when fully zoomed-out); even at full zoom, I could barely tell how Prussia was doing in its war against Austria, for instance. It's especially distracting at times when you're looking at countries bordering you, because the country color under the fog of war is so radically different than the color when it's not under the fog of war.

Despite running quite smoothly on my comp, loading quickly, etc, the game just felt so clunky. Information that shouldn't be hard to find or wasn't hard to find in Vicky now is; maybe I just couldn't find it, but I have no way of knowing how long it will take my units to get from Point A to Point B, nor could I find any way for the game to notify me of simple things like units arriving at their destinations. It's even difficult to just find your units on the map (this goes for the map's province upgrade graphics, too). As for the rest, being able to find and interpret the walls of numbers the game throws at you seems to be just a matter of getting used to the interface. Though I admit I prefer Vicky's setup more, it's certainly functional.

I know it's customizable, but I thought it was silly that practically no information is pre-set to appear in pop-up menus, whereas IIRC everything was in Vicky. This might actually be a good thing because I was playing at the lowest resolution, in which case the screen would have been absolutely covered with pop-ups. So, it's a trade-off between pausing all the time to clear the screen, or pause every couple of in-game days to check all those identical flags that appear in the bottom right and remove them. Making matters worse, quite a few of the windows just seem excessively large; at the lowest resolution, the army window took up nearly half the screen (compared to, say, Vicky where it doesn't cover the map at all).

So, it seems to me Vicky 2 is one step forward, two steps back from its predecessor.

Edit - that's not to say there weren't other areas this game appears to have improved upon the original. Diplomacy (integral to this period) has thankfully been fleshed out (and you don't have to spend cash on it, either!), including things as simple as information on the governments of other countries, POPs seem to have been largely fragmented and so avoiding the annoying tendency of soldier POPs to be utterly decimated in wars or, especially in the case of the U.S., leave vast stretches of the territory nearly bereft of inhabitants. I think I also prefer the way reinforcements are done in this one, too.

Last edited:
Okay, I've played the demo for about three hous now (until my laptop almost died from an empty battery) and this is how I feel about the gameplay. Note that all these points are going to be critical, but overall I had fun with the game:

1. Econemy feels way too indirect- Victoria is and always has been a economic game. To be entirely honest I'm very dissapointed with the running of the econemy in this version of the game. The trade screen is just too clutted and unintuitive to not be left on auto-trade, and with your capitalist buzily scurrying around building everything for you, I had next to no input as to how the econemy was run outside of the budget screen. Actually, come to think of it, I had absolutley none. I'm sure if the trade screen was made more intuitive and clear (especially in terms of what is needed for my econemy; in V1 a huge red dot was a good clear indicator, but here I just don't know what I'm looking for) I'd have more input than simply fiddling with sliders and looking at cranes moving. On the plus sde though, I think that it's actually harder than people make out to make a surplus budget AND get people to covert in to the POPS that you want, so that's a nice touchby the dev team.

2. Too much military- Without the econemy to keep me buzy, and being in an isolated position aas the USA is, I found that more and more I'd be thinking almost exclusivley about my military. The military screen was where I found I spent most of my time outside of the main map, recruiting units and building the odd ship here and there. This can only really be fixed by fixing the above problem, as it's a biproduct of not having enough to do.

3. Events don't PU&P- Okay, this is really a nit-pick, but I'd prefer if I at least had the option to make major and semi-major events pop up and pause. Perhaps something to think about for the next version.

I too go the NULL_STATE bug, so that needs fixing before release. There were also the odd grammar mistakes here and there (e.g. "A African American boy" instead of "An African American boy"), but other than that I'm very impressed! I found absolutley no bugs what-so ever, and it ran very nicely on my (albiet very new) non-gaming laptop. A big well done to everybody for making such an excellent product!

Edit: I just thought of another point fairly major point:

- Map colours too dark; they need to be brighter, and state/province borders need to be more clearly defined. FOW needs to be somewhat less darker, and occupied provinces need to be more visible

Last edited:
@TCPilot, if you want to see when your unit will arrive, mouse over the moving unit. Much like EU3 it will say its estimated arrival.

Just finished my first 15 year stretch. If the real game agrees with this experience, it is going to be my favorite Paradox game since EU2.

The Whigs won a major upset near the end and the Civil War broke out in 1850. My favorite aspect of this first run through is that my two Mexican-American wars were actually tough.

I learned how important it is to be nimble with your national focii. So many priorities -- beauracrats for statehood or AE, colonization, soldiers, capitalists, yumminess.