• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
what are the roles?
Its a closed setup.

As I've said, its a closed setup.

As I've also said that its not the first game in the series, maybe you should go check the earlier games?

Its a game of the uninformed majority, you don't need to know everything. Half the fun is finding out what the setup is...

What they are saying is not what the set up will be but what possible roles there are so no one fakes something that doesn't exist and that no one gets some freaky awesome unchecked power or someone is just radically unbalanced.

Its a closed setup.

As I've said, its a closed setup.

As I've also said that its not the first game in the series, maybe you should go check the earlier games?

Its a game of the uninformed majority, you don't need to know everything. Half the fun is finding out what the setup is...

It's a bit of a stretch IMO to ask people to go to another forum just to find out what a game on this forum is about. You'll have to be very tolerant with us for some time as your type of game is new here. Besides, I am of the opinion that everything I need to know should be right here.

OUT btw, can't fit this into my schedule. Still interesting though..

What they are saying is not what the set up will be but what possible roles there are so no one fakes something that doesn't exist and that no one gets some freaky awesome unchecked power or someone is just radically unbalanced.

But why rule out being able to fake a role?

No one is overpowered.

Every role in this game has already been used in at least one other game of mine.

But why rule out being able to fake a role?

No one is overpowered.

Every role in this game has already been used in at least one other game of mine.
But they don't know you well and just want confirmation. I mean you could post a list of 50 roles and just use 8 of them but people just want to be sure as we have had some new GMs put some really unbalanced games together. And faking a role is bad as people can pretend any insane thing and some roles are just beyond horrible. ""Oh my role is if you hang me I kill however many people equal to the number of days into the game we are, sweet that we are on day 7 eh?"" Well if players don't know the GM such a role might exist. You don't have to narrow it down at all, or even closely so. Someone could fake having 7 traits and 3 roles that are from an existing list, people lie about that all the time.

As far as the last comment of yours, so just copy paste the list from other game's'.

But they don't know you well and just want confirmation. I mean you could post a list of 50 roles and just use 8 of them but people just want to be sure as we have had some new GMs put some really unbalanced games together. And faking a role is bad as people can pretend any insane thing and some roles are just beyond horrible. ""Oh my role is if you hang me I kill however many people equal to the number of days into the game we are, sweet that we are on day 7 eh?"" Well if players don't know the GM such a role might exist. You don't have to narrow it down at all, or even closely so. Someone could fake having 7 traits and 3 roles that are from an existing list, people lie about that all the time.

As far as the last comment of yours, so just copy paste the list from other game's'.

I concur with this, even though I am not playing. I am not against change, but we should still be careful to make sure it is still a fun game.

Er. Allow me, eh?

Abilities:

Australian cultists:

Together with one other Australian, you may convert one person to your cause every night. The third person may choose one of you or him/herself and prevent any actions occurring to that person (including, but not limited to protections, roleblocks and killing)
If your numbers fall to 2, you may continue converting one per night, but you lose the secondary ability. If you have only one original member standing, they may recruit one person every second night.

Kiwi Cultist:

You may choose to convert a person on the second night or following nights for yourself. This person will become your partner, and known to your partners. The two of you together may convert one person to your cause per night.

Mafia Members:
With one other member, you may kill anyone. This may fail if they are protected or if one of you is roleblocked. To avoid the roleblock, you may add a third person to the kill attempt. If you decide to have two sets of two attack, the fifth person may perform an investigation on one person. Each person must send in orders for them to be successful.
If you fall to four members, you may still send two kill groups of two, or have one kill group of 3 and one investigation. If you fall to three members, you will have one kill and one investigation, or just one kill. If you fall to two or one members, you will regain the ability to kill two people per night, using one member per kill, or in the latter case, both.

TinCow: would die if investigated by joooray
ATPG: dies upon contact with Wee Sean
AVSM: after death, gets revived as town

All three did not know they had those special modifiers, but it was hinted at in their role PM.

Arsonist:
Every night, you may select a single person to "prime". During the day phase, you may trigger the "prime" (via PM to the host, or if you so wish, in thread) and have that person killed. You can use this to appear as a day time serial killer, or you can wait and "prime" multiple people and kill them all in a massive heap.

Town Drunk:
You may only post nonsense and gibberish, apart from two things: actual votes and the following:
At any time, you may send a PM to the host with a riddle of medium to hard complexity. If the host gives the go ahead, you may post this in thread asking for the answer. If someone answers correctly, you gain the ability to "unlynch" one person, that is, break them out of prison. They will then function as fully alive citizens, and retain all abilities and alignments they had whilst alive.

Scottish:
Together you may, at the start of the game, kill one person. This may increase to two kills, and may reduce back to one, depending on the flow of the game. You will be notified when either of these things happen.

This was intended to keep the kill rate at the higher number of possible kills.

Kidnapper:
Every second night you may kidnap a person. They will then effectively be dead. On the following night, you may investigate them and get their role and alignment. At any point, you may choose to release a person back to the town. If you die, any/all people you have kidnapped will return to the town.

ER doctor:
Every second night, you may select one person and bring them back to life. They will retain any abilities or alignments they had while alive.

Doctor:
You may select one person besides yourself and have them saved from any harm that may come to them that night. However, due to the drugs you use, you may not protect the same person 3 nights in a row, they need at least one night off before you can resume protecting them.

Detective:
Once per night, you may investigate a person and get their role.

This role was also the anti arsonist. If they investigated a primed target, they would remove the prime, and the arsonist would not know.

Queen:
If you are lynched, you will be actually killed, and if you are killed by this or any other method, the following day phase will be skipped due to your funeral.

Priest:
Once per two nights, you may encourage someone to renounce any love they have for other lands, convincing them that staying in England is a much better idea.

Pyschiatrist:
Each night, you may investigate one person and find out their role and alignment.

Intern Doctor:
You may choose one person each night, besides yourself, and protect them from any harm that comes to them.

Had a 33% chance of killing whoever he targeted due to mistakes

Special Townie:
What does this mean? You don't know.

Gets revived after death and joins the mafia team.

This color represents goody roles.
This color represents neutrals who win independant of the village or werewolves, as far as I can discern.
This color represents scanners.
This color and it's variants represents the baddy roles, in so far as I can discern.

These are obviously not the roles pever will be using, but I would assume we can guess that some of these roles will be in the game. If you want, I'll look up the other game and post the role list from there.

A drunk posting riddles...

A drunk posting riddles...

The player never used the mechanic, and what taii forgot to mention, or didn't check, is that game mechanic is not in this game. (players being imprisoned upon lynch instead of killed)

Am I the only one who thinks that the Australian and Kiwi cultists should be renamed Swedish and Dutch?

Also that those roles would only work with 30+ players?

Am I the only one who thinks that the Australian and Kiwi cultists should be renamed Swedish and Dutch?

Also that those roles would only work with 30+ players?

That isn't the role list for this game, it's the role list from a previous game (as it says in bright orange lettering at the bottom of the post, yeah?) which had something like 32 players.

All nightly acitons at once?

This part of the rules has been bothering me because it runs right over reality: some actions must have precedence over others, and this becomes an order of operations for when you need to know the outcome of one action in order to determine another.

The game Diplomacy is an example of adjudication where some actions take precedence over others, even though they occur simultaneously. An attack cuts support, even though support is given simultaneously: there are no turns to be taken like in Monopoly, where first one moves, then another, they all move at once, but the actions of some determine those of others. That's precedence. When we list a GA as coming before a Wolf, that in part just explicitly states what is implied: a protection order takes precedence over a hunt (they'd be useless otherwise). Things might be simultaneous but still need a breakdown to explain how they occur. Hunting and protection don't really occur in separate phases because protection only acts when hunting is taking place: protection is simultaneous to hunting, but we still need to know whether the protection or the attack has priority.

Protection stopping hunts is a case of one order overriding another, but still occurring simultaneously, and it is obvious that protection stops attacks (otherwise it would be pointless!). But other answers aren't as simple, and actually become an order of operations. For example if the arsonist primes a target on the same night as the detective scans the target, does the prime get removed? This really becomes an order of operations: either the prime is removed, or it isn't. Either the prime is there for the detective to see when he scans, or it isn't. The arsonist goes before or after. This must be determined.

Kidnapping is in a similar boat: if someone is killed and kidnapped in the same night, are they killed or kidnapped? Kidnapping is not the same as killing, because they'll come back if the kidnapper dies, and may be released. So is the player still in the game to be kidnapped when the kidnapper comes knocking, or is he dead? He cannot be both.

If a psychiatrist scans someone who is hunted and has a backup scan order, does it go to the backup or does it stay on the first target? Is the person alive to be scanned, or are they dead already? Does the psychiatrist go before, or after the kill?

Some things obviously can be done simultaneously: you can remove everyone who has been killed simultaneously, and if anyone has multiple kills on them just let the excess kills be wasted. No need to determine who killed first. You would then, by necessity, have it so that if A wants to kill B, and B wants to kill C, both C and B would be killed. This sort of thing is possible. But this is because C and B dying is not contradictory. Nor is A being kidnapped as well as C and B being killed a contradiction. But what if C kidnaps A who kills B who kills C? This is a contradiction. The problem is there even if it's not circular: if A wants to kill D, B wants to kidnap A, and C wants to kill A, we need to have an order of operations to know whether D is killed and A is kidnapped or killed.

There must be some form of adjudication for contradictions, because as the classic formula goes, something cannot be A and Not A at the same time.

There must be some form of adjudication for contradictions, because as the classic formula goes, something cannot be A and Not A at the same time.

Anything is possible with faith.