• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sounds good! Will give it a go :)

Also with regards to Foederati, may I suggest a +manpower modifier for Rome to signify the actual deals of their allies..

Sounds good. :) Traditionally, Samnium, Etruria and Lucania were already conquered in 474 AUC, but I suppose the status that they held (foederati) could be just as well represented by a tributary state.

I think you need some more tributary nations for Carthage, Egypt and the Seleucids, though, to keep the balance.

If not for that I would probably have added them even sooner, at least Lucania. However as both the Lucanians and the Samnites did join with the enemies of Rome whenever they had the oppurtunity they certainly deserve some sort of inclusion, and since they should join Pyrrhus a few months after the earliest possible start, why not have them available at the beginning of the year (as tributaries then as they still are "loyal"). And Etruria seems to be added in nearly every other mod, and they do slow down Roman colonization of Liguria, so they got in as well, not to mention the Etruscans are somewhat interesting (although if I ever add provinces they will get atleast one more, while fun the first time it is not that enjoying to see Pyrrhus conquer them when he does it too often).

I doubt Carthage needs much weakening, they have already lost a bit and may be the weakest major power, although if not for the fact they don't have a province Utica would possibly be an interesting addition. As for Egypt I can't think of any, and if they need to be weakened in order to maintain some balance, the first choice would probably be to change their culture (probably to Macedonian, but one possibility I have thought of that would let them keep their unique unit names would be to have a new Egyptian culture, named Hellenized Egyptian or something, let that be the culture in Alexandria as well as their state culture).

For the Seleucids I can see a few (Characene, Elymais etc.), haven't checked for more information though. They are the areas punching bag however, and the only reason they still do relatively well is because Armenia and Atropatene attack without being ready (Atropatene, army 4k, attacks even while a 10k starting Seleucid army stands at their border...). Although as there is not much that needs to be done to weaken Egypt if needed, it is definately worth considering. Must keep in mind that one may have to weaken Armenia as well.

Actually when I think of it, before this version Rome was the only major that had not really been weakened, all the others had lost provinces (except Macedonia, but they are more a medium power, and they are relatively weaker thanks to the Galatian invasion, and some fairly strong barbarians to their north).

Sounds good! Will give it a go :)

Also with regards to Foederati, may I suggest a +manpower modifier for Rome to signify the actual deals of their allies..

They already do have a small 5% bonus, although it is from their warfare modifier, so all other Italian countries share it, and it is not the only warfare modifier with that bonus (a few have even larger bonuses to manpower). If not for their already huge amount of manpower it would definately be bigger though.

Detected a small mistake with Parthian Horse Archers, it does not check for culture so everyone will be able to have them at land tech 14.

So in easternmilitary.txt in decisions, this is how it is supposed to look, that is culture_group = persia should be added in the potential
Code:
	parthian_horse_archers = {
		potential = {
			culture_group = persia
			OR = {
				land_tech = 14
				tag = PAR
				tag = PA2
			}
		}

Great mod, i especially like the historical event u put like gaining cb on Sicilly. It would also be nice if u could inherit those Italic tribute paying state on some time instead of breaking tribute and attacking them.

Great mod, i especially like the historical event u put like gaining cb on Sicilly. It would also be nice if u could inherit those Italic tribute paying state on some time instead of breaking tribute and attacking them.

Glad you like it. Had also planned an event to give Rome a core on Carthage if at war with them when Rome have Sicily, but have not done it yet. I don't think I will provide a way as it is to inherit those minors, but one only needs to start a few months later to be able to gobble up Samnium and Lucania when they have allied with Pyrrhus and are at war with Rome. Otherwise, if they remain loyal, why not let them keep their limited independence :)

Now for something I have thought of, and would like to hear what you all think, there are three countries that are already in the game that I have considered letting be available at the start. The first, and the one I'm least likely to add, is Magna Graecia, as I do not want Epirus to be a 1 province minor in their war vs Rome, and IIRC Pyrrhus did put a garrison in Taras. Regardless I will need to do something about Philocharis so he does not immediately run to Rhodes (or whatever place he decides to go to), been thinking of changing employer to Epirus and maybe make him starting governor in Magna Graecia (I'm certain I saw something around here on how to do that).

Second is Albania, there is noone else having those provinces and they could be added as a military tribe (in atleast Albania and Uti, Legae could remain barbarian), especially as I already change their government to tribal monarchy for when they appear at the moment.

Third is Cappadocia, one reason is similar as to why I considered bringing back Magna Graecia at the start, initial ruler running to another country, second is that it seems (from what I read) that Cappadocia did manage to become independent around the start of the game. As it is now they become independent when Ariarathes III becomes King, but as said from what I could get they should probably already be independent (however did not see anything about the independence being temporary). Although if I added them I would probably keep the Seleucid core until vanilla independence.

Couple other suggestions: making Saguntum an ally of Rome and give Carthage core on Saguntum so when Carthage attacks the 2nd Punic war would begin historically!
Make generals lose/gain mart art or make the modifiers like hold ground stronger because right now there's now way u can defeat a higher mart general untill he dies or goes away...
Note sure if its a good idea adding those extra countries since they add little historical vallue maybe exept for Magna Graecia.

Don't think I will give Carthage a core on Saguntum, but if one starts just before the war starts, an alliance between Rome & Saguntum may be added. At earlier starts, if Carthage is expanding in Iberia then at least a concerned player should just guarantee some tribes to get a CB to intervene. Will look closer at that military stuff.

One thing I'm thinking of doing is (greatly) reduce civilization spread, and completely removing that tribal +1 civilization and reduced loyalty or reduced research and improved loyalty event. That event does not feel relevant for this mod, as most tribes are already civilized enough to begin with and the few that aren't such as Suebi can as it is just force someone more civilized then them to pay tribute (or pay tribute themselves to someone more civilized) if they want to become civilized.

In addition I will probably change the citizen/freemen/slave balance for the Germanics (and Boii), after all slaves are very important when you are small and poor, and changing it worked very well for the tribes in Gaul. Although increasing the proportion that are slaves might not be as easily justified in the case of these as for the Gauls, I think it may be necessary to keep them reasonably competitive (without increasing population, which while it helps, isn't that useful if they have a very low proportion of slaves - it just makes them more interesting to attack).

I have also been thinking of changing the event for successful colonies, so that instead of changing culture/religion immediately, will give a province flag that will stick for some time that greatly increase the probabilities of standard culture and religion changing events happen. Have thought about doing this ever since it was added and not done anything about yet though.

Two things I've been thinking of, wether I actually implement them or not we will see. First comes from the fact that it feels strange to implement laws such as Lex Aelia et Fufia and such when Carthage, was initially thinking of letting the current republican laws be for Rome (or specifically, everyone in that culture-group), while for other republics they have more or less the same laws but with some generic names.

However if one does that, why not also have laws depending on government/culture so that a gallic tribe have some laws that a germanic tribe doesn't have and vice versa. And maybe some law for specific governments, so a federal monarchy may have some laws not available for a despotic monarchy and so on. Obviously keeping in mind what government changes are available (so nothing for different republic types) as laws are kept when switching between different governments of the same type (but lost when switching to a different type).

The other thing is for high martial characters, primarily intended to keep the numbers of generals with >7 slightly limited. The basic thing would be that the current ambition to become general or admiral would only be for characters with martial <7, while anyone with 7 or more would have a different one that does not increase martial value when fulfilled (but maybe increase charisma, so there is less high martial, low charisma generals).

Additionally maybe while the become ruler ambition should be more rare for most people, maybe making it more likely for strong generals. Also adding events for when the ruler is suspicious about popular and skilled generals. For really unpopular monarchs (with bad values) with a really popular and very skilled general, maybe an event where to monarch just have the general killed (but that would only be for bad monarchs, average or better that wish to kill their own generals just have to do it the old-fashioned way :p).

Any opinions on these ideas?

There really should be nation specific laws, and laws that were actually enactable, one example springs to mind - the Lex Canuleia, which was enacted centuries before the game start...

But yes, more laws, and nation specific ones would be fantastic.

There really should be nation specific laws, and laws that were actually enactable, one example springs to mind - the Lex Canuleia, which was enacted centuries before the game start...

Not completely sure I fully understand this, you mean having laws that had been enacted when one start actually being enacted? If so I agree that would be good, and while I remember there appearantly being somewhat complicated for succession laws, I don't know wether it goes for all laws (the succession laws are somewhat of a special case after all). If it is easy then the only thing standing in the way is actually taking the effort to research for all relevant countries to see roughly what laws they should have enacted when.

Additional work done, this time regarding the culture of Egypt. Had decided to at first do one of three options (that Hellenic Egyptian thing I mentioned earlier, Macedonian or Greek). Currently went with Greek, funny thing is, it did not really affect their starting position as much as I feared it might (actually they got slightly higher manpower but slightly less money in the earliest start). They will either remain as Greek or be changed to Macedonian (would mean changing culture in Alexandria from Greek to Macedonian though). Planning to increase the manpower gained from cultures in the same culture group (currently it is at 20%).

It's more a complaint about having those laws on the screen in the first place. It seems a bit out of place to enact laws that have previously been enacted in history. Just a bit of a gripe..

I was wondering if maybe some more tribes could be added to the british isle region? Particularily the Iceni in Anglia(Iceni province) and the Scotti in Ulster (Bhogbandi province i think its called)?

If this cant/wont be done could someone maybe tell me how to do it?

It's more a complaint about having those laws on the screen in the first place. It seems a bit out of place to enact laws that have previously been enacted in history. Just a bit of a gripe..

I see, in any case then either having them enacted on start or just removed would probably be the best. Do you know any other laws other then Lex Canuleia this goes for?

I was wondering if maybe some more tribes could be added to the british isle region? Particularily the Iceni in Anglia(Iceni province) and the Scotti in Ulster (Bhogbandi province i think its called)?

If this cant/wont be done could someone maybe tell me how to do it?

Well as I try to not add too many new countries, I don't think I will, but I will keep these suggestions in mind if I do decide to add a new one. As for how, it was recently posted by Camara in that other thread, just remember that if giving them a former barbarian province, do give them some population and reduce barbarian power in that province.

--

Have changed Egypt to Macedonian culture, now their starting armies and manpower are quite equal to what the Seleucids have. AI Egypt can still win and they do try to get allies so it all seem to work as intended (got Phoenicia in peace and allied with a fairly successful Bithynia in the last game; played Iberia).

Planning to add restrictions for generals for monarchies and tribes as well, also planning to make former governors available to use as generals. The actual restrictions would be something like this:
For all: Ruler, Ex-tech-job, former governor, former general
Republic: same as before (former censor IIRC)
Monarchy: Rulers family, councillors (grand vizier, chancellor etc.), possibly adding a new minor title that can be given to a (very) limited number of courtiers allowing them to be generals
Tribes: Clan Chiefs, bodyguards, anyone with high military skill and enough charisma (and possibly also finesse) to convince anyone he should be allowed to lead

So in short tribes would still be able to pick anyone that is really good (as there are 20 bodyguard positions, not to mention someone really good would be available regardless of titles), monarchies slightly more limited and with republics about as limited as before (but using former governors will make it easier to get good generals compared to before).

---
edit: Checked into law thing. Rome will now start with Lex Canuleia (checked, only law that should be enacted at the start) already enacted. Did the same for a few of the military decisions/laws I added (Maniples for Italic ones, Pike Phalanx for Macedonia/Seleucids/Egypt, Libyan Spearmen for Carthage, Boii Warriors for Boii and Celtiberian Warriors for Arevaci). Currently I think I will leave it at that, but later I may try to do the same for other laws enacted at later dates, so if starting with for example Rome at the time of Marius, one will have all laws (and military stuff) that should be enacted actually enacted, but for that I really would have to do research for more or less every nation to let them have the most appropriate laws (would be unfair if only Rome started with a large number of already enacted laws).

Last edited:
Noticed that I never removed event 1001 (the choice between Roman or Hellenistic warfare), must have forgotten to save the file when I did it (I am certain I did not simply forget to do it at all) :eek:o

Since I did alter the inventions as I planned, that event doesn't really do anything (noted one invention that still depends on it, but that one also depends on another invention I commented out), but will fix it for the next version.

I look forward to the next version. The title changes are looking good, though I'm somewhat sceptical to using Macedonian culture in Egypt. The Greeks in Alexandria where far from Macedonian, having lived there for a long time. I'd be surprised if the Ptolemies hadn't adapted to a more generic Greek culture by the time of 474 AUC, 43 years after the death of Alexander. Btw, what would you think of integrating my tribal migration decisions? I can't use them in Imperium 2.0, so they're just lying about on my hard drive atm.

I look forward to the next version. The title changes are looking good, though I'm somewhat sceptical to using Macedonian culture in Egypt. The Greeks in Alexandria where far from Macedonian, having lived there for a long time. I'd be surprised if the Ptolemies hadn't adapted to a more generic Greek culture by the time of 474 AUC, 43 years after the death of Alexander. Btw, what would you think of integrating my tribal migration decisions? I can't use them in Imperium 2.0, so they're just lying about on my hard drive atm.

At the moment Egypt is Macedonian but with greek culture in Alexandria (should note that I did increase the amount of manpower gained from same culture group (from 20% to 40%)). They are still able to the Seleucids most of the time, and as a bonus, the Armenians and others actually wait a few months before they strike (they still tend to get beaten up). Having Egypt as Greek would probably give to great of an advantage against Macedonia & Seleucids, as they now shows interest in the greek minors, if they had greek culture it would become too easy for them to gain large amounts of manpower (compared to Mac/Sel).

The tribal migration decisions would be interesting.

My objection was purely historical. If it has a positive effect on game balance, I suppose it could work anyway. Btw, I've attached the migration files.

Attachments

• Tribal migration.rar
    8,2 KB · Views: 32

In many ways this is what EU:Rome lacks. Things that make the different factions feel more different from each other. I always felt Carthage needed some specific laws (or that perhaps some of their decisions would be better as laws) concerning recruitment for their navy and such. For the more maritime republics I'd really like a naval party in general (or as I doubt that is modable perhaps one could give the Mercantile party some ties to the navy).

Is this mod compatible with the beta patch? Haven't tried it yet but it seems very nice :)

Downloading now! Looks promising.
I can't wait to play the Etrusci. Years ago I visited etruscan ruins with very unique mosaiks and paitings near rome and in the toscana.