• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Uploaded v 1.2 of this mod. Short list of changes since 1.1b
- Country in Saguntum renamed to Edetani
- Rome civ-value reduced to 70
- Changed some resources
- Strengthened Germanic tribes (and Boii)
- Added Remi, Batavi and Chauci
- Some buildings made more expensive, high level fortifications will reduce income (20% for level 3, an additional 20% for level 4 for a total of 40% reduction in income from that province)
- Two new governments (Tribal Republic & Tribal Monarchy)
- Some minor alterations with regards to the Pyrrhic Wars
- Heavy infantry now costs 3
- Roman warfare modifier added, gives a small manpower boost and the old heavy infantry cost.

Just got EU:Rome Gold, so will play some with Vae Victis, and then probably update this mod to work with Vae Victis. But for the moment it is for basic EU:Rome.

Very good job so far. When you have updated it for VV... could you perhaps make it available for mergers with other mods? You'll be credited of course.
Multimods are the way of the future for EU:R so to speak.
In any case a lot of people would be happy with this mod for VV as many seem intent on playing barbarian nations but find them still quite underperforming.

Just made the first work towards making it work for Vae Victis. Since I could start and play, it surely does seem it works, but there are a few minor things I plan to do before uploading it, as it was after all initially done for basic Rome, and there are parts missing or just needs some re-balancing. So by the end of this week (or possibly earlier) I should be able to upload a Vae Victis compatible version.

Progressing well except for one thing. That savegame issue that was mentioned earlier that mysteriously disappeared with EU:Rome 1.3, it is back :(

Simply put if I after starting the game try to select a savegame I get a CTD. If I however first start a game with any country and resign, there is no problem at selecting (and then loading) the savegames. Anyone have any idea what might cause it? Have anyone of you other modders experienced this type of issue? Have really no idea what could cause it myself. Even if I don't figure out why this happens I will probably still upload at the end of the week, but with a note about it.

Could you make the Tribes a bit more easily played?
Perhaps via less stability hits/negative events or a few good events?

Some more titles to hand out for Tribes, Republics and especially monarchies would be VERY appreciated by me.

Also you'll have to give Descartes a poke with your work. He may be able to integrate some of your great work in his own supermod.

Uploaded version for Vae Victis. It is the one called 1.3, there is a note about the savegame issue in the first post, didn't get it today, but since I only had some autosaves I fear that was just a coincidence (can't see why the minor things I had done would fix it, but it is not impossible that they did, it is not as if I have any idea what the cause of the savegame issue is).

Short list of changes:
- Made Vae Victis compatible
- Two new regions, Media & Persia
- That vanilla tribal event many don't like have been made to happen roughly once/year for every annoyed Clan Chief rather then once/month for every annoyed Clan Chief.

Edit: Have not encountered the savegame issue again, it may have been solved. One thing, anyone that would prefer the Vae Victis colour of Epirus can just remove Epirus.txt in the common/countries folder of this mod as the only thing altered is the colour. Have done that myself so future versions Epirus will have the same colour as in vanilla VV.

Last edited:
Could you make the Tribes a bit more easily played?
Perhaps via less stability hits/negative events or a few good events?

Some more titles to hand out for Tribes, Republics and especially monarchies would be VERY appreciated by me.

Also you'll have to give Descartes a poke with your work. He may be able to integrate some of your great work in his own supermod.

Any specific ideas for titles and such?

As for Descartes, he as well as anyone else is free to use any part of my work they wish to.

Have done some work, being annoyed with Rome deciding to ignore Carthage (even though I gave Rome cores on Sicily through event), so Rome has been duly punished. By three new countries, (four actually but the fourth, Theveste, is in former Carthaginian territory, should probably ask Hardradi about their government, my knowledge about them is more or less limited to the description in the thread of the Africa Mod) Etruria, Samnium and Lucania. The latter of which if one just start a few months later joins Pyrrhus in that little war.

Will reduce the amount of troops Pyrrhus get in his event, even though in my playthrough as Rome I actually had an easier time defeating the Epirotes (started before Lucanians and Samnites abandoned me and Pyrrhus thought that rather then ship the army he starts with in the Epirus province over to Italy he would divide his fleet and blockade all my ports, so I just had to contend with the huge army he get by event that he let Hieron lead). Then tried with the Samnites after they join Pyrrhus against the foul Romans, would have ended well if Pyrrhus would have tried to defeat the Roman army outside Bovianum after taking Rome rather than strutting north to Picenum. Some alterations to resources so Rome does still start with heavy infantry (and since I put iron in Rome it is no longer possible to cripple their military by taking Etruria). Rome do not start with a navy anymore at the earliest start.

Progressing well except for one thing. That savegame issue that was mentioned earlier that mysteriously disappeared with EU:Rome 1.3, it is back :(

Simply put if I after starting the game try to select a savegame I get a CTD. If I however first start a game with any country and resign, there is no problem at selecting (and then loading) the savegames. Anyone have any idea what might cause it? Have anyone of you other modders experienced this type of issue? Have really no idea what could cause it myself. Even if I don't figure out why this happens I will probably still upload at the end of the week, but with a note about it.

Hi Lofman,

Yes, I to have noticed this off and on. I can pin it down to anything yet.

Lofman said:
Have done some work, being annoyed with Rome deciding to ignore Carthage (even though I gave Rome cores on Sicily through event), so Rome has been duly punished. By three new countries, (four actually but the fourth, Theveste, is in former Carthaginian territory, should probably ask Hardradi about their government, my knowledge about them is more or less limited to the description in the thread of the Africa Mod) Etruria, Samnium and Lucania. The latter of which if one just start a few months later joins Pyrrhus in that little war.

There isnt a lot of info around on Theveste. A few obscure references to it in the sources, founded by Heracles, conqured by Hanno (i think it was), city of 100 gates. It did become a legionary base later on so it must been of some importance. I treated it asnumidian trade tribe in Africa Mod.

Hi Lofman,

Yes, I to have noticed this off and on. I can pin it down to anything yet.

There isnt a lot of info around on Theveste. A few obscure references to it in the sources, founded by Heracles, conqured by Hanno (i think it was), city of 100 gates. It did become a legionary base later on so it must been of some importance. I treated it asnumidian trade tribe in Africa Mod.

I have not experienced the savegame-issue since I provided all my events with descriptions (and put them in a .csv file). And I think I might have done some other very minor things as well, though just as the event texts nothing that looks like something that could cause it, or in any way affect its frequency (from all of the time to not very often).

As for Theveste, thanks for the information. I have them currently as an Oligarchic Republic, though it is not impossible I will change it to Tribal Republic.

Is currently planning on doing some work on the military side. The basic idea is to remove most of the inventions and have them as decisions/laws instead. While they may make more sense as desicions, laws have the advantage that they can be revoked, as well as blocked by other laws and simply seems easier to work with with and do what I intend, not yet decided what to use though.

The choice between Roman type armies and Phalanxes will be different for each group, Romans and Western Barbarians will more easily move into the "Roman" way, while Greeks will have an easier time to get the whole Phalanx thing going (as an example for Macedonia, choosing to use a Pike Phalanx will be available as early as land tech 0, but will block focusing on the "Roman" way, and that will not be available until a later tech level, but when they get there they can (if one feels that one can handle the cost) reform the whole thing and start focusing on creating a "Roman style" army, or just take the easy way and choose to use that kind of troops at flanks. And nomads will not bother, they will just continue using lots of relatively cheap and good cavalry.

Planned advantages:
"Roman way": Balanced heavy infantry (bonuses in both off and def)
Phalanxes: Solid heavy infantry (good bonuses to def, but not to off)
And other stuff (bonuses for other types of troops), but planning to plan everything out before I actually implement this, also this will mean rework of the warfare modifiers, simply any possible decision/law that is obviously a no-brainer (no drawbacks and doesn't block the aforementioned choice) and that should be available at the very start will be in those modifiers. Who knows, they might even end up balanced :D

laws have the advantage that they can be revoked, as well as blocked by other laws and simply seems easier to work with with and do what I intend, not yet decided what to use though.
You can revoke decisions too. Just add revoke_allowed = { } and revoke_effect = { } after effect = { }.
I like your ideas BTW. ;)

You can revoke decisions too. Just add revoke_allowed = { } and revoke_effect = { } after effect = { }.
I like your ideas BTW. ;)

Yeah, I saw that decisions are written in the same way (the decisions I checked had always = no in the revoke_allowed portion IIRC), and no decision had any persistent effects like laws (except by triggering a modifier, which I will not do as too many of them makes it look too crowded there). Wondering how the game would handle it with regards to the interface, would it need editing (have no idea how to do that) or would it show them properly anyway?

Tested today with a decision later changed to law, worked perfectly as law, with decision the only effect was that I could select it to reduce my stability as many times as I might have wished. It seems that decisions are not persistent, so while a law when taken is there until revoked, a decision is over after it has been taken after which it can be taken again if the situation allows it. So it will be laws as I do not wish to add more modifiers (which seems to be the only way to get persistent effects with decisions) as well as the whole revoke thing (could be possible to get the same effect with modifiers, but would be more work I think).

Have done it with regards to all the ones with Hellenistic Warfare, work progressing well. Only thing is I have no idea how to deal with the Illyrians, how should their choices look, any ideas?

In addition to that I also plan to work some in Thrace, moving Tylis into Triballi, and having the city in Crobobizi be Kallatis (rather then the current one Seuthopolis, which would fit better in Triballi IIRC), Thrace will have Thracia, and after the fall of Tylis also Triballi. Any idea of what city would be best in Thracia during this time? Seuthopolis (if the Odrysi still had it while Tylis was independent, otherwise it may make more sense in Triballi after Tylis have fallen, and use that as their capital), Uscudama or something else?

Suethopolis was founded by Seuthes III an opponent of Lysimachus and sacked by celts around 280BC. So it didnt last that long. Before that I believe it was Uscudama as you mentioned.

After the celts the Odrysae dynasty re-established itself supposably based out of Astae, there is also mention of the Odrysae nobles fleeing to the greek cities but I cannot confirm either of these "facts" back to the sources.

Location of Suethopolis is difficult, modern thought places it around about the Triballi province, whereas older schools of thought place it around Crobobizi province. The map distortions in vanilla could even mean it is on the border of Thracia itself.

Have it as Seuthopolis, and Thrace have a core on Tylis(Triballi).

One thing, was thinking about the Getae, but did not get sure on what their relation with the Dacians is. If they are practically the same then early Dacia should probably have its center moved to the southeast, while if not quite the same it would be a good idea to add Getae as an independent country (which should probably have its capital in Suci, the map isn't really good in that area as we all know, as well as probably also having Kallatis and Tomi). Any thoughts on this?

With regards to the warfare stuff, done Romans should do Eastern (and possibly also Celts and maybe also Nomads and Germanic (those last two will not have much)) today.

Have done the planned warfare decisions/laws. Some groups have less of them then others, in fact the Illyrians have none at the moment (if I can come up with some for them they will be added though). With regards to the Getae question I decided to add them, they currently have the provinces Suci, Kallatis (Crobobizi) & Tomis.

Current plan is to wait for 2.2 and when it comes make this mod compatible with it and upload the new version.

Uploaded 1.4 of this mod which does this:
- Updated to 2.2
- New countries: Theveste, Samnites, Etruscans, Lucanians and Getae
- Altered the warfare modifiers
- Changed strength of military units
- The choice between Hellenic type Phalanxes and Roman type Legions are now done by laws (some added laws however do not affect this choice). The file lofmodwarfare.txt contains a short list of them (it does not list those available at land tech 0 that do not directly affect this choice)

Hope you will enjoy it.

- New countries: Theveste, Samnites, Etruscans, Lucanians and Getae
Sounds good. :) Traditionally, Samnium, Etruria and Lucania were already conquered in 474 AUC, but I suppose the status that they held (foederati) could be just as well represented by a tributary state.

I think you need some more tributary nations for Carthage, Egypt and the Seleucids, though, to keep the balance.

Last edited: