• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So France offered you an alliance. Interesting. Did you take any particular measures to encourage that to happen? Nice work on the Yugoslav and Hungarian alliances, but I wouldn't count too much on them. If Hungary (in particular) decides to join the Axis that alliance must surely be worthless.

Your front against Germany looks strong... and at the moment there is no opposition. It often appears that the AI responds to some countries in a hard-coded way, so possibly the AI just doesn't see Italy as a threat regardless of the in-game circumstances? I am sure war will correct that misapprehension. :)

Oh, yes, the French-Italian alliance sounds frightening. It's a well-known fact that those countries were the toughest nuts to crack during WWII ;)

the strong suit in Rens' hand is the fact that it suddenly becomes a potential three-front war. now if you could get the Chechs involved, that would provide a direct line of attack from Paris all the way to Dresden and beyond...

the strong suit in Rens' hand is the fact that it suddenly becomes a potential three-front war. now if you could get the Chechs involved, that would provide a direct line of attack from Paris all the way to Dresden and beyond...

Czechs can't compete militarily with the Germans, and the Sudeten line is essentially the only thing that can save the Czechs in case of war before the Treaty of Munich.

As a frequent Czech-player I can tell you that they have pretty much no chance of fighting a defensive war. An offensive war with offensive allies might work, I've actually managed to bring Germany to about 40-50% of surrender with a surprise blitzkrieg-type attack. However the computer quite probably will just die out very quick even if they join the war along aggressive allies.

Czechs can't compete militarily with the Germans, and the Sudeten line is essentially the only thing that can save the Czechs in case of war before the Treaty of Munich.

Yeah, too bad those defensive works are in German hands now ;)
But the German AI tends to keep its troops on the French/Netherlands border and the Polish border, so retaking them could be fairly easy and quick for the Czechs, on paper that is.

Oh, yes, the French-Italian alliance sounds frightening. It's a well-known fact that those countries were the toughest nuts to crack during WWII ;)

Hi,

so there were those who were even tougher then Poland...

Couldn`t have guessed that however I might try...

Rgds, Oldtimer

the point is not to engage them directly. the point is to force Germany to spread itself too thin, which is what undid the roman empire (after a couple of centuries...maybe you could play on till 2150?)

the point is not to engage them directly. the point is to force Germany to spread itself too thin, which is what undid the roman empire (after a couple of centuries...maybe you could play on till 2150?)

Germancy could not possibly win against, let's say, Poland, France and Italy at same time, or even France and Italy. Italy is the weakest of Majors but it's still overpowered compared to it's historical importance. In HPP 1.9.2 it actually starts with more LS than France. It's the game balance but still...

hence the importance of gaining local numerical superiority, which would be important in gianing and holding important Austrian provinces.

I have seen the Republic of China Nanjing control all the Chinese territory to the Burma and Xjaing border.

Welcome, Comm Cody, to yet another exciting AAR! :D

True, if you can keep a great deal of their troops on your border, France might actually be able to resist the German attack :) But it could end up being a huge stalemate if you're not careful :)

Yeah, hard to figure in advance. And as others have noted, I'm not sure how much the German AI will pay attention to me because they may expect us to be their ally.

AFAIK, the nazi's made a deal with Pius XII that said simply: "you stay out of worldly affairs, and we'll stay out of clerical affairs." my opinion? Pius XII was just afraid they would do to them what they did to "undesirables" and chose to keep his mouth shut to ensure the continuity of the catholic church.

There are a variety of views on this, and it seems the truth is somewhere in the middle. The Church did seem to take some actions to protect Jews, but they could only go so far without drawing unwelcome attention. There are a number of well-known operations to smuggle or protect Jews. Hitler made use of what clerical authorities he could (both Protestant and Catholic) to bolster his position with the German people. But before long he had supplanted these with the "Nazi religion", basically. He put the Lutheran church in Germany under Nazi control, and used it as a tool, but there were dissenters who formed a sort of "free church" (the Confessing Church) which was persecuted but never quite stamped out.

I agree that you need to have an offensive "wing" in your army. It is likely that the Germans will be quite busy on the western front and may not be paying as much attention to the south as they should. As you have demonstrated in other AARs - one must take advantages where one finds [creates] them!

Ahh, yes! :) Hard to envision what will happen in advance, but once it's there there will be strings to pick at.

Awww, what a cute little armored division! <duck>

So far your plans are good -- can't wait to see how this plays out.

:D Thanks!

Mwuhahaha those poort Germans will never know what hit them :D

Yeah, right! :) I'll be glad to make ANY offensive progress, but we'll see.

looks like you have a defense-in-depth plan going on there in the north. maybe you should consider moving some units into your new allies in the east, in order to help garentee their success on the defensive

What I have planned is more of a "rush and defend" strategy -- I'm not really planning to defend in place, in the Tyrolean mountains. I was hoping to move into Austria, ideally, to join the Austrian troops in defense of their homeland. Now that's not possible, but the basics of that plan still remain.

Aw, I wonder if that will be The Little Armored Division That Could, or The Little Armored Division That Was Utterly Shredded By German 88s? :p

Nice job creating that ring of allies around Germany. Can you tell how much the German AI is spreading out its forces, in the face of that hostile alliance stretching from France all the way to Hungary? Seems like the strategic situation has shifted greatly against Germany.

I was kind of surprised by Hungary - figured they would likely be in Germany's camp. But I was trying to cultivate them, and the German Threat increased enough they seemed frightened.

The Austrian border looks lightly defended, it looks like you will get the jump on them.

I'm hoping! You will get to see soon, I think.

Another one of Rens AARs? How did I not know about this?

In regard to Hungary joining your anti-Hitler alliance, is there any chance that it could go axis? And if it did, what would happen?

Anyway, this is sure to be entertaining, both for the readers and yourself.

Welcome, McCann1991! Glad you found this, and happy to have you along! I... am not sure about going Axis. I suppose it could happen, because they're probably expecting ME to go Axis. But I'm not, and so if I declare against Germany, does that even put me at war with the Axis, or just Germany? I'm not 100% sure, as it may have changed since the initial versions that I wrote the Strategy Guide for. But to my recollection I don't think I would necessarily be at war with the Axis if I declared against Germany since I'm not in the Allies.

France joining forces with Italy? Napoleon turned around in his grave! Great work so far. If you go to war, at least you won't have to face a thousand burning desert days against the UK

Yup! Can you imagine? Yeah, I'm not going to miss fighting Montgomery, even though I think he was fundamentally a blowhard. :D

:p Hey, I haven't seen an "inept Italy AAR" yet! :D Seems like folks prefer to play a strong, vibrant, "new Roman Empire AAR" instead.

So France offered you an alliance. Interesting. Did you take any particular measures to encourage that to happen? Nice work on the Yugoslav and Hungarian alliances, but I wouldn't count too much on them. If Hungary (in particular) decides to join the Axis that alliance must surely be worthless.

Your front against Germany looks strong... and at the moment there is no opposition. It often appears that the AI responds to some countries in a hard-coded way, so possibly the AI just doesn't see Italy as a threat regardless of the in-game circumstances? I am sure war will correct that misapprehension. :)

I was actually quite surprised! :) But it wasn't something I was going to pass up -- that was the whole premise of the AAR (I was just surprised the AI clued in!). So I was quite glad to get that arranged. I was plenty prepared to go it alone against Germany. I wouldn't have laid odds on my victory, though! :D

Europe is gearing for war , but i doubt Germany will try barbarossa in these harsh conditions ...

Yeah, that's outside of anyone's view at this time. But I wonder how robust the AI is in seeing an opportunity for the USSR to catch Hitler with his back turned. Hmm....

Yeah, I'm very happy that suddenly I have more than one front. :D

Yeah, the Czechs don't stand a chance without the Sudeten.

As a frequent Czech-player I can tell you that they have pretty much no chance of fighting a defensive war. An offensive war with offensive allies might work, I've actually managed to bring Germany to about 40-50% of surrender with a surprise blitzkrieg-type attack. However the computer quite probably will just die out very quick even if they join the war along aggressive allies.

I played a Czech game once where I was able to play offensively -- I'd launch forays out, then retreat to the defensive forts -- long enough that France was able to capture Bavaria, and then we joined forces to push north. That was fun! :D

Hi,

so there were those who were even tougher then Poland...

Couldn`t have guessed that however I might try...

Rgds, Oldtimer

Welcome, OldTimer! Seems like about all of the minors have a chance if capably played, but ONLY a chance -- they can each fail miserably too.

Yes. Though Germany certainly has the capability to fight a two-front war for a period of time. The trick is to not become exhausted while waiting for Germany to tire.

Excellent news on that alliance. Ignore the naysayers, expanding the front like that surely counts for a great deal.

I'm sure it does -- glad to have the extra help!

Germany could not possibly win against, let's say, Poland, France and Italy at same time, or even France and Italy. Italy is the weakest of Majors but it's still overpowered compared to it's historical importance. In HPP 1.9.2 it actually starts with more LS than France. It's the game balance but still...

Welcome, Aguerra! I agree that Germany's enemies are overpowered for balance purposes, and that's going to work in my favor. But I'm not sure I'd say Germany has no chance. If she can work defensively against France to hold her off, and meanwhile make an offensive push elsewhere, she still stands a chance.

hence the importance of gaining local numerical superiority, which would be important in gianing and holding important Austrian provinces.

Indeed. And I intend to produce a shock to the system, which will make them wonder where all these Italians came from! :D

Okay, I'm still not quite ready to update any of the AARs -- time over the weekend evaporated. So sometime this week, I'm hoping to produce an update. Thanks for your time and comments, folks!

Rensslaer

Damn you, Rensslaer, and yet another amazing AAR. There goes my Sunday nights (when I get the weekly mail update on my subscriptions). Between this, Kriegsgefahr and Império Novo, there is plenty of good reading (and I still need to venture into I Am Siam).

Damn you, Rensslaer, and yet another amazing AAR. There goes my Sunday nights (when I get the weekly mail update on my subscriptions). Between this, Kriegsgefahr and Império Novo, there is plenty of good reading (and I still need to venture into I Am Siam).

:D Welcome, Fontan! Glad to have you along for the ride here too! I guess you got a free Sunday last week, because I've been remiss in updating here. ;)

But the good news is I'll probably have an update here today. I did screenshots yesterday -- just need to add text to explain what's going on, and we're in business.

Thanks!

Rensslaer

Tensions were high in Europe at the beginning of 1939. Despite German efforts to get Italy to join their Axis alliance, Italy remained one of the many European nations that expected Germany to start a new world war in the next year or two. German armies hovered, like vultures, surrounding the rump state of Czechoslovakia, which had had her fortifications annexed by Germany so that she had no real defenses.

ITVultures.jpg

Italy was beefing up its defenses. By expanding the mountain airbase at Storo, and adding to its fixed and mobile anti-aircraft defenses, Italy prepared to fend off the vaunted Luftwaffe. It was not felt likely that we could fight an offensive war against them, but hopefully could hold our own over Italian airspace. Our Manpower improves, and we get a Defensive Support Weapons advance, which will aid in taking defensive stands in the Alps.

An advance in Armored Car technology allows us to begin building three regiments of armored cars, which will be ready in July. Our industry advances in its efficiency techniques and technologies, too.

ITFeb39Prod.jpg

Our priority toward unit upgrades (mostly the defensive support weapons) is increased, and otherwise we’re trying to get as many military and industrial units finished as we can before war comes (that surplus in consumer goods was fixed quickly, I’m sure – HPP does not allow such surpluses to be converted to money).

Sure enough, on 21 February, Czechoslovakia collapses, German troops move in, and Slovakia declares its independence and aligns herself with Germany. Tensions skyrocket – Italy is greatly upset, and France and Britain are ready to declare war, though elements in both governments counseled continued peace.

ITSlovakia.jpg

We acquire an improvement to our primary army rifle, which we push to get deployed very quickly. War is surely just around the corner, whether on our terms or Hitler’s. Foreign Minister Ribbentrop makes an emergency trip to Rome, urging Mussolini to join the Axis nations. He hints the obvious – that war is coming – offers a hope that Italy might stand to make territorial gains in such a war. The implied threat, unspoken, is that Italy would suffer terribly if she were on the wrong side. Indeed, that very fear motivated both sides of this argument.

This “last chance” was considered, seriously, in Rome. We could still change our plans. Mussolini railed at the inconstancy of his French and British allies, and wondered aloud if Italy would have to stand alone when war came.

Mussolini made the final decision with the King – it would be war. On Italy’s terms. Not Germany’s.

ITFinalNegotiations.jpg

Two weeks after the end of Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia mobilized its army. Bulgaria made a mutual defense pact with Yugoslavia, though there was question whether it would be in effect if Yugoslavia joined a war started by Italy. Count Ciano returned from Warsaw with bad news – the Poles remained militant, and intransigent, and yet insisted that they would not sign an alliance with any power, lest they provoke war.

On the eve of conflict, we increase our readiness throughout our military forces. Organization and Morale increase, dramatically. We get new offensive support weapons, and again make these a priority with new funding.

ITMar39Tech.jpg

It seemed as if the month of March would pass by in similar manner – increasing, burning tension, and yet… nothing definitive. And then, on the last day of the month… Italy ordered its army and air forces to Mobilize for War!

ITMobilizeWar.jpg

A last minute suggestion by an army colonel caused the High Command to decide we should recruit Engineer battalions to help build entrenchments and assist in facilitating attacks. Three of these begin to form. Our northern radar stations expand, and another airwing of light bombers begins deploying.

ITEngineers.jpg

We see a welcome improvement to our winter-weather equipment, and again we rush to get units prepared with the new gear. Since much of our campaign may well be in the cold, rugged mountain climes, even during summertime, this could pose quite an advantage for us.

The month of April passes, as we draw up our reserves and all units are subjected to intensive training. We are preparing for the war everyone now knows is coming. Surely, the Germans know, too.

ITPoland.jpg

The Germans seem poised to leap across the border into Poland, and yet the Poles still will not ally with us!

On 10 June, Italy is as ready as it will ever be. Germany is gaining strength constantly. Italy’s recent deployments, including that of yet another Alpini division to the northern mountains, have brought its army strength up to a reasonable level. The time is now…

ITDeclaration.jpg

WAR!!!

They are in this game, because the German AI is too stupid to cover the Italian border when not allied with Italy. Worse still, Italy being in the Allied camp should force the German AI to cover that front too. This will be over rather quickly, I'm afraid.

War on Italy's terms.... Let's hope this bodes well for the kingdom. What was the reaction in Paris and London?