• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's incredibly gamey, but William the Bastard starts with over 1,000 gold so he can support the cost of the invasion force that is about to attack England. If you wait until he is committed across the Channel, it becomes a Xanatos Gambit. If you imprison him successfully, you can confiscate his lands and cash, prevent him from taking the throne of England (which makes Normandy leave France), and gain some demesne. If you fail, he goes to war with you, but he is already committed to a war in England, so you have more or less free reign to siege his holdings. He can't white peace with Harold unless Harold is willing (and Harold is probably not willing until he pins and destroys/loses to William's army). So, either way, you can grab his stuff. The catch is that he might squander the cash before you force him into prison if you fail to catch him at first.

You need to use NSFW tags for anything tvtropes related :mad:

Excelent let's play anyways

Great videos! Really informative and tutorial-like. I have a question: I've noticed that during your wars against your vassals, you would accept or offer them a white peace and they would go back to being a vassal. So, if there's a war of independence, does a white peace make things go back to the status quo?

Yep. They also lose some prestige.

If I lose, they become independent, and my crown authority drops by one level.

SM you need to post another video, screens, or even an AAR. I'm starting to wilt. :)

If I had the save games and screenshots, I'd show you how this game ended, complete with an excommunicated ruler who lost every damn thing. All it took was an imbecile on the throne, the short reign penalty, and an excommunication to end the Capet's hold on France-Aragon. It was short and brutal.

So, our lesson for today is that no matter how easy it is to become Exalted Among Men, your dynasty is never truly secure. The imbeciles will take the throne eventually. :)

Going for Mathilda of Tuscany with Philippe Capet is a big blunder, SM. Your locking your most potent tool to gain allies to a nobody in French politics. Her lands are far away, you don't have a very big power base yourself, she has her own schemes and she can draw you into her own conflicts in Italy, and you're in a very weak position against either of your vassals or even William of Normandy. God forbid if the Dukes of Toulouse and Aquitaine team off against you.

Thus you should have marketed yourself and Hugues Capet to daughters of your vassals, either Aquitaine or Toulouse, to buy one of them off by marriage. The Duke of Aquitaine still has Ainès as a lone daughter, giving you a chance for your descendants to inherit Aquitaine if no sons are born.

Also, you have Emma Capet, your sister, as a pawn to send off.

Last edited:
I agree in CK 1, when I started as Philippe Capet in 1066 I usually married Philippe to Agnes d'Aquitaine, in some situations it would be gamey, but IMO it's plausible that the king of France marries the daughter of his most powerful duke; and I arranged Hugues Capet to marry Gerberge de Provence, which is in the HRE (Burgundy/Arelat), but it borders France.

Breaking the power of dukes, who control the territory of more than one de jure duchy, and then redistribute then among less powerful duke controlling less lands, was a smart move though.

Well, going for Mathilda of Tuscany in 1066 is gamey. She's CK2's Agnes of Aquitaine.

Going for Mathilda of Tuscany with Philippe Capet is a big blunder, SM. Your locking your most potent tool to gain allies to a nobody in French politics. Her lands are far away, you don't have a very big power base yourself, she has her own schemes and she can draw you into her own conflicts in Italy, and you're in a very weak position against either of your vassals or even William of Normandy. God forbid if the Dukes of Toulouse and Aquitaine team off against you.

Thus you should have marketed yourself and Hugues Capet to daughters of your vassals, either Aquitaine or Toulouse, to buy one of them off by marriage. The Duke of Aquitaine still has Ainès as a lone daughter, giving you a chance for your descendants to inherit Aquitaine if no sons are born.

Also, you have Emma Capet, your sister, as a pawn to send off.

Well, going for Mathilda of Tuscany in 1066 is gamey. She's CK2's Agnes of Aquitaine.

Well, my master plan failed anyway. Since I had only a daughter with Matilda, I didn't join her to my kingdom AND I didn't get an alliance that was worth damn.

In fairness to me, though, I didn't think she was going to launch a war for independence or that I would die before having a son.

The worst part of all this was that our daughter inherited her lands and created an Italian branch of the family... that swore fealty to the Papal states during the 12th Century instead of accepting my offer of vassalization.

So, not only was it gamey, and a waste of a potential alliance, but it ended up making the Pope the most powerful Italian power instead of France. Not exactly the best outcome between the Empire and France, to be sure. :rolleyes:

You didn't spend much time with battles (naming generals, setting up oob, battle events, that sort of thing). Was that more because you didn't have a close wars or because they don't matter very much?

You didn't spend much time with battles (naming generals, setting up oob, battle events, that sort of thing). Was that more because you didn't have a close wars or because they don't matter very much?

Well, since combat is hands off, and since I figured that combat mechanics are the most likely area of the game to be tweaked before release, I just didn't bother. Any advice or statements I make about combat will probably be outdated in two weeks anyway.

For example, I noticed the Mongols got meaner in the recent update. Getting them out of Iberia and France was tougher than I anticipated. :)

Well, since combat is hands off, and since I figured that combat mechanics are the most likely area of the game to be tweaked before release, I just didn't bother. Any advice or statements I make about combat will probably be outdated in two weeks anyway.

For example, I noticed the Mongols got meaner in the recent update. Getting them out of Iberia and France was tougher than I anticipated. :)

The Mongols in Spain? YIKES!

Thanks for posting, I never played CK1 but I can see how the sequel will include elements that I really wanted to see in EU3. Granted I know that the historical timeframes are different and therefore call for different gameplay mechanics, but I am really excited that CK2 will include a viable possibility of failure even if you're the biggest, baddest boy on the block.

The Mongols in Spain? YIKES!

Don't get to excited. They annexed Paris because they got in a war with France's weird vassal in Eastern Europe. Since Mongols attack with an invasion CB, anything they control becomes theirs.

As for Spain, they inherited a duchy out from under me. I married a sister to the son of the Khan for the lulz, and converted him to Christianity after granting him a duchy. They had no kids, so his father inherited the duchy.

The lesson is don't give away duchies for the lulz...<sigh>

Well, my master plan failed anyway. Since I had only a daughter with Matilda, I didn't join her to my kingdom AND I didn't get an alliance that was worth damn.

You should've betrothed your daughter to your brother's eldest son! That way, she'd end up queen and Matilda's lands would join with France if she and her cousin had sons ;)

I send all My troubles to the Church.
Because I hate God. And myself.

Then you should like one of the event choices in the game:

"If God is powerful, why are there heretics and plagues and evil in the world?"

A) God is as clueless as I am. Gain trait: Cynical.

This event tickles me every time it pop ups. :D

Don't get to excited. They annexed Paris because they got in a war with France's weird vassal in Eastern Europe. Since Mongols attack with an invasion CB, anything they control becomes theirs.
The lesson is don't give away duchies for the lulz...<sigh>

like CK1 vanillia religious wars ?

Gonna open my veins and plug in the cable when i get my copy and just sit relax for around 2-3 days without sleep just plugged into the PC absorbing everything !