• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
And some more thanks to...

C-Rex: Blue is beautiful isn't it.:)

Peter: I tried a couple web-based translators on that but they weren't much help (only translated about 50% and I doubt that "goat's heads" featured promenently in your message). Care to translate for a poor, ill-educated Canadian whose sole ongoing contact with Scandinavia is their beers and AAR writers?

Sorcerer: Many thanks. I used a blue cover with lots of gold fleurs de lis and it does make for a wonderful bookend due to its size. ;)

Valdemar: I'm thinking that the Chief Scientist would probably be more along the lines of "Big Blue". :D

Originally posted by MrT

Peter: I tried a couple web-based translators on that but they weren't much help (only translated about 50% and I doubt that "goat's heads" featured promenently in your message). Care to translate for a poor, ill-educated Canadian whose sole ongoing contact with Scandinavia is their beers and AAR writers?

No. You'll just have to suffer due to your linguistic deficiencies.

Just kidding :D

Though some of the finesse is lost in translation (especially the play on words in the second paragraph), a rough translation would be:

"...How incredibly ridiculous. This cast-off ghost really believes that it can beat a true scientist in chess. And, as it that weren't bad enough, it expresses this inordinately stupid idea in a language, which is incomprehensible to many readers.

What an impressive lack of tact it demonstrates. As punishment, I will have to butcher several of its pieces before I check-mate it, despite it not having so many pieces to move around in the first place."

The last sentence actually makes sense :D... if you know that in Danish "not having many pieces to move around" or "having few pieces to move around" is colloquial slang for being stupid.

And 'cast-off' isn't quite equivalent to 'afdanket' - but it is close. ('Threadbare' also comes to mind)

I certainly enjoyed this AAR. For the first few months, I would check for updates several times a day, anxiously awaiting another installment of the ghost's tale. Lack of time has prevented me from being so involved of late, but I spent about an hour today catching up. It truly was brilliant writing, and no one could blame you for taking the opportunity to end the game when you did.

Maybe you could have written more. Maybe you could have created interesting character quarrels between the Sun King and the ghost... maybe maybe maybe... You did give us one of the greatest AARs that I have ever read. You should not only be content with that, but proud.

I smell and OscAAR.

Okay, I've read it. It is truly brilliant, not only gameplay-wise, but in its inherent beauty. :)

A classic AAR if I ever saw one.

And, I see Ebbesen is rambling in Danish here. :D
I always suspected Chief Scientist to be educated at the University of Copenhagen. ;) Now that I mention it, I have my my education from a university named after the Danish king Fredrik... :)

Okay, on to the Palatinate. :)

Edit: "my my education"? How self-centered am I? :D

Boy! I just got finished reading this, and I was suprised that it was Charlemagne. I'd suspected, but then, like everyone else, I thought the ghost died just before the game starts.

My favorite part was at Hoodoos bar. I love Leacock.

Ahhh...nice to see this dredged up after such a long time. Thanks for commenting. :)

If you enjoyed this and are looking for some other "older" works of note, might I also recommend Lord Durham's Austria and The War of the Spanish Succession: 1700 - 1708 (now revised and rewritten in pdf form) or The Napoleonic Wars: An Account by an English Officer. Also you might enjoy another too-long-burried AAR called A Collaborative History of Genoa . ;)

Actually, there are a ton of great AARs that haven't seen the light of day in a long, long time and might be of interest to some of the newer members. A good place to start would be the OscAARs listing in the AARtiFAQs thread.

MrT,

Great stuff - first time I read this... excellent quality; but then again, that's to be expected :)

Now, if you indeed are coming back to the same level of productivity, as you were impending in a separate thread, - that'd be quite good, wouldn't it?

I have decided to go around to the AARs that have been previously reviewed and briefly bump them back to the top so others might appreciate them if they choose to read.

Take a look at the review for this AAR and if it seems something you might enjoy, spend some time reading the tale. I imagine you will enjoy it.

The Review

And note - this is one of my favorite AARs of all time. You MUST read this one! And if you need any proof, read this particular post which may very well be the finest one singal post I have ever read on these forums. You really must read the whole thing for it to have the desired effect, but it does give you an idea of how good the entire AAR is.

Last edited: