• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You really gotta implement a random leader generator for lower level ones..

I'm shocked Paradox didn't do this as a feature and implement it for officer ratio, honestly. Allocate x number of generals per x officers, as you train more officers you get new generals, and if you run out of predefined ones, you start getting randomly generated ones with varying abilities/skill (mostly low, but a thin chance of getting a good one).

Well, Venezuela has more generals then needed xD. (it can field like 5 divisions and has ~10 generals)

5 Divisions, plus one the required Theatre HQ, plus one or two Army Corps and you already have 8 Generals used up :)

This is one of the things that has always bothered me about playing with non-major nations.

Me too. However, the main problem with the People's Republic is that the game engine doesn't allow for leaders to defect. Historically, after Japan surrendered Chiang ordered the provincial warlord troops to disband or join his NRA. The warlords didn't like that and defected to Mao's side. That can't happen in a generic way in the game, so anyone playing the PRC is stuck with the non-traitor leaders.

All of that is odd though, when you look through the RoC's leader list and compare it to the warlord leaders. Several Xibei San Ma leaders are in the RoC's leader list, as are some Guangxi leaders. That leads to having multiple "copies" of the same person leading different units in China. So, if the RoC manages to annex the warlords the same leaders it fought against will be leading RoC divisions. The same thing can be seen in the leader lists of both Spanish factions. Some Nationalist leaders have Italian and German copies, and the Republicans have some Soviet copies, so you could end up with two von Sperrle leaders in the game - a German and a Spanish copy.

Anyway, I've sorted out my big batch of pictures and the next update will be soon. The big problems I'll come across fairly soon are the 1948 end date (it's 1945 now) and the Comintern Victory Conditions (they're 1 away from winning). So, my main question to my readers is should I mod the end date to keep going past 1948, or continue to play if the Comintern wins through victory conditions?

All of that is odd though, when you look through the RoC's leader list and compare it to the warlord leaders. Several Xibei San Ma leaders are in the RoC's leader list, as are some Guangxi leaders. That leads to having multiple "copies" of the same person leading different units in China. So, if the RoC manages to annex the warlords the same leaders it fought against will be leading RoC divisions. The same thing can be seen in the leader lists of both Spanish factions. Some Nationalist leaders have Italian and German copies, and the Republicans have some Soviet copies, so you could end up with two von Sperrle leaders in the game - a German and a Spanish copy.

The main limiting factor is that you can't 'enable' leaders, only 'disable' them mid-game, short of editting the save. Leadersh have a preset 'startdate', but that's not too flexible... It would be possible to add some at certain dates and remove them if certain conditions are not met, but that would be overcomplicated and it wouldn't be any more flexible either.

This problem existed in HOI2, too. It's just one of these things which everyone want to see fixed but for some reason the devs don't bother.

Except in HoI2 you couldn't give troops from one country to another. There's also this 'loyalty' value for leaders. I'm not aware of it doing anything, but it would be awesome if leaders would defect based on that value :) Oh, well...

EXP forces were present in HOI2, if this is what you meant. Loyalty has no effect AFAIK.

In DH it's possible to give a given % of naval/land/air units of a given country to another country by event ;).

I saw many posts back in the HOI2 days asking for leader generation feature. HOI3 suggestion threads were full of them.

EXP forces were present in HOI2, if this is what you meant.

No, I meant transfering ownership of units from one country to another via event. It might be possible in DH (never even loaded up that game yet :rolleyes:), but it wasn't in base HoI2.

Chapter 15: Early Success - July 2, 1945 to October 2, 1945

Mao's declaration of war unleashed the PLA against the Entente Powers. While the Entente had long expected such a move, the situations in Europe, Iran, and Manchuria did not allow the Entente to properly fortify their borders with the PRC. Every available division in the Entente armies was focused on halting the Red Army's advance, and nothing could be spared to guard the borders of a neutral nation. The numerical inferiority of the Entente armies when compared to the PLA and Red Army would ultimately lead to the downfall of the imperialists.

Immediately after Mao's declaration of war, the elements of Army Group South assigned with liberating the concessions began their assaults. The French concession of Zhanjiang would be liberated after 2 days worth of combat. The island city of Hong Kong in the Pearl River Delta would only resist for 3 days. The battles stunned the PLA's leadership. All prior experience as well as intel reports predicted that the concessions would be able to hold out for at least a week. The fact that they fell within days, despite the defenders being well dug-in and prepared, was a shock to all. The battles emboldened the PLA and greatly disturbed the Entente, as they definitively showed that the PLA was not only equal to its western counterparts, but superior to them.

The concessions were liberated after 3 days of fighting.
Author's note: Wow, these ended really quickly. The shortest battles against the RoC lasted at least a week.

While the concessions were being forcibly returned to China, Army Group North advanced unopposed into Manchuria. The Mongolian puppet state Mengjiang quickly collapsed and Chahar province was liberated on July 8. Like the other fronts, the Entente had left the Manchurian border unprotected due to necessity, and the PLA advanced unopposed for the next month.

Japan's Mongolian puppet surrendered on July 8, after 6 days of hostilities
endofmengjiang.jpg

Meanwhile, due to a clerical error that delayed sending the orders, the PLAN was rebasing from Shanghai to the port city of Xiamen, where the corps slated to invade Taiwan was waiting. During the relocation a flotilla of Japanese destroyers was found and engaged. The destroyers damaged several of the empty transport ships and took some damage themselves, but escaped during the night. They were not pursued, and the transports reached Xiamen safely. The PLAN's old warships were then based out of Fuzhou, which was protected by 3 wings of PLAAF light fighter aircraft.

The PLAN's first naval engagement
japddpatrol.jpg

After going several days without any Japanese air raids on the fleet, the light fighters based in Fuzhou performed scouting operations over the island. The goal was to determine whether an amphibious operation was feasible at time. Japanese naval patrols, troop positions, fortifications, and aircraft were observed over a period of several days before the decision was made to not conduct the invasion. While naval patrols were light, Japanese aircover not present, and only a token garrison in place, the damaged destroyers were in port along with one of Japan's Kongo-class Battlecruisers, a light cruiser, and 6 more destroyers. The PLAN did not possess the capability of sinking the battlecruiser, which was fully capable of sinking the entire PLAN on its own. The PLA decided that, for the time being, the planned invasion of Taiwan would be postponed until conditions improved.

The Kongo-class Battlecruiser's presence in Taiwan meant any invasion was doomed to failure.
largefleet.jpg

By August 5, Army Group North had finally encountered organized resistance in Manchuria. 30 Jun had encountered 17 Hoheishidan defending the city of Mukden. After 3 days of fighting, the city was liberated. Retaking Mukden was a major morale victory for the PLA, because Mukden was the site of the Mukden Incident, which resulted in Manchuria's separation from China and the formation of Manchukuo. Three days after the battle's end, another major battle was concluded. The Battle of Tsagaanuur in Mongolia was a major Japanese defeat, resulting in a complete halt of the Japanese advance into Mongolia. 2,500 PLA soldiers were KIA out of the 39,984 that participated, and 3,439 IJA soldiers were KIA out of the 59,790 that participated in the battle.

On August 8, Mukden was liberated after spending 14 years under Japanese control

Meanwhile, the Red Army's offensive in Europe had stalled after its crushing victory against Japanese-occupied Germany. The details are still unknown to this day, but after a successful push to the Dutch border a large portion of the IJA was trapped in Germany. Most estimates of Japanese losses point between 60 and 80 brigades were captured, leaving at most 20 brigades remaining in Europe.

The French were also active in the shadowy world of spies and saboteurs. Having slipped into China special agents, the Entente actively used covert operations to strike whenever an opportunity came up. On August 23, the research project aimed at designing better torpedoes was sabotaged, with much of the paperwork missing and equipment destroyed. The culprit was eventually found to be a KMT-sympathizer working for France.

French covert operations successfully sabotaged China's torpedo research program on August 23, 1945

Shortly after Mao's declaration of war, Stalin began to warm Moscow's frosty relations with Yan'an. Prior to July 2, Stalin did not want China to join the Communist International, because doing so would mean having to share any spoils of war with the Chinese. However, Mao's entrance into the war as a 3rd party and rapid advances into Manchuria threatened to give Mao more diplomatic capital any any post-war negotiations between China and the USSR. To preempt any near-future conflicts between the communist rivals, the USSR delivered an invitation to join the Comintern. While initially skeptical, Mao accepted the offer on August 24, 1945. Cooperating with the USSR would have several benefits, such as shared intelligence, research collaboration, and a guarantee that the USSR would return any Manchurian land it occupied. In addition, China could acquire raw materials needed for its industry at for no cost and would not have to fortify its borders with the Soviet Union.

China joined the Comintern on August 24, 1945.
Author's note: Sometimes the AI doesn't want to accept faction invites or the game engine doesn't auto-place a nation in a faction, so this is one of our 3 generic events to bring third parties at war with a faction into another faction that shares the same enemies. Putting Yugoslavia in the Allies when Italy declares war on it when Italy is also at war with the allies is one example of what the events are intended to do.

The war in India was until September 7 a dull affair. Crossing the Himalayan mountains was a slow process, and the poor infrastructure resulted in a poor supply situation. The first real event of the theater was the capture of Kathmandu and surrender of Nepal on September 7. The first battle of the Indian front began on September 17, as the 5th and 17th Indian Infantry Divisions engaged Bubing Di 54 Shi in Kathmandu. Fighting lasted several hours and ended in an Indian defeat.

The Battle of Kathmandu was India's first attempt to push the PLA back over the Himalayas

September 21 saw the first wave of imperialist reinforcements reach India. Egyptian troops were the first to arrive, and conducted a lengthy, costly, but ultimately successful counter-offensive in Leh. 1,326 out of 10,000 PLA soldiers were KIA, while 2,638 out of 33,477 Egyptian soldiers were KIA when the battle ended on October 1, 1945. Already the long supply chain was beginning to take its toll on PLA operations in the theater. However, the Indian front was mostly a diversion to force the Entente to shift troops from Iran east, weakening their defenses there. The main thrust into India would come from Burma by the troops originally slated to liberate Indochina, which remained neutral throughout the war.

The PLA's first major defeat was at the hands of Egyptian soldiers

The status of the European and Iranian fronts on October 2, 1945

The status of the Indian and Manchurian fronts on October 2, 1945

Last edited:
I think you can invade Taiwan any time you like. Just land at the north side of the island and head down if you are worried about the ships in port. You should be able to capture the port before your men run out of supply. If you have some Transport aircraft you could also supply your men there by air since Taiwan is close enough.

I think you can invade Taiwan any time you like. Just land at the north side of the island and head down if you are worried about the ships in port. You should be able to capture the port before your men run out of supply. If you have some Transport aircraft you could also supply your men there by air since Taiwan is close enough.

He can't do that, would be against the house rules. All this WW3 stuff is very interesting. I'd like to know how things evolve in europe, are the sov making any progress ?

He can't do that, would be against the house rules. All this WW3 stuff is very interesting. I'd like to know how things evolve in europe, are the sov making any progress ?

I'm not quite sure it is, but it's obviously not up to us to say. HR #1 specifically mentions taking undefended ports, so this isn't the case if you hit Taiwan from the other side because you are worried the port itself is in fact well defended. Since you would have to win before the 30 days supply runs out there is an actual element of danger to the plan. If you decide to invade and then abort, things become very dangerous since the fleet will certainly be engaged while you are trying to collect the troops from shore.

Very nice gains so far. Taiwan's going to be risky however this goes down, that fleet is relatively weak and it's still more than enough to send the entire PLAN to the bottom.

The Kwangtung Army is in serious jeopardy, though. If the PLA continues to push like this, they could march straight east to Mukden and completely cut the Soviet fleet off from the supply lines. The consequences would be disastrous for them.

The USSR reached the point you see in the screenshots, then got stuck. I'll have to check my screenshots, but I don't think they managed to cross the Rhine even once.

I'm not quite sure it is, but it's obviously not up to us to say. HR #1 specifically mentions taking undefended ports, so this isn't the case if you hit Taiwan from the other side because you are worried the port itself is in fact well defended. Since you would have to win before the 30 days supply runs out there is an actual element of danger to the plan. If you decide to invade and then abort, things become very dangerous since the fleet will certainly be engaged while you are trying to collect the troops from shore.

You're right on all accounts here. However, I play both Chinese factions more than any other country, so I've invaded Taiwan plenty of times. From experience, I've learned that invading Taiwan is very risky if the navy isn't upgraded, which most of the time it isn't. Japan patrols the Chinese coast heavily to raid convoys, and the risk of getting caught by a capital ship is quite high. Since that BC alone could probably sink my entire navy and is fast (the Kongos underwent major engine refits in '36 and '37 to bring them up to carrier speeds), there's a good chance it could reach my transports if I attack through Taipei or the eastern side, since infantry take about 6-8 hours to disembark.

I also don't have any air transports, because I wanted to focus my leadership elsewhere to catch up. I spent the first 5 years of the game with only 4 or 5 LS, then managed to get 11 for a year before reaching my present total. The majors spent the past 9 years with at least 15 LS and had better starting techs, so I really had to specialize and focus my research.

Very nice gains so far. Taiwan's going to be risky however this goes down, that fleet is relatively weak and it's still more than enough to send the entire PLAN to the bottom.

The Kwangtung Army is in serious jeopardy, though. If the PLA continues to push like this, they could march straight east to Mukden and completely cut the Soviet fleet off from the supply lines. The consequences would be disastrous for them.

Don't you mean the Japanese fleet ;) What you describe is a very real possibility, but alas, my house rule #2 will cause much raege haet later on. If you take a look at the deployment screenshots two chapters back, you'll notice I have the Beijing theater on AI control. Later I put the army group under AI control instead, because I didn't want the AI to waste units guarding cities; I wanted those units on the front. Unfortunately, AGs under AI control can only "see" one continuous front, which leads to bad things later. Should've just left it all on theater control...

What will you do with India once you capture it? Also what are your occupation policies set to?

With your small, outdated fleet I'm sure your caution with amphibious operations is very wise!

The Entente forces seem to be doing quite well in Europe, but then the French army is still completely intact in this very unusual alternative timeline and the British have had a long time to build up. Entente forces in your theatre seem very few at the moment (understandably) but I suspect they will reinforce the new front given time.

I guess not crossing of rhine partially is because of the forts there.

Probably. To be honest, I don't pay much attention to what's going on in Europe aside from the status screenshot at the end of a chapter. I may end up having to declare war on the BeNeLux to get the Red Army moving again, but I consider that to be a gamey thing to do if I'm not going to attack Indonesia.

What will you do with India once you capture it? Also what are your occupation policies set to?

If India doesn't go in exile, then I'll make it a puppet. My occupation policies are whatever the default is, which I think is set to the the mildest policy. Leadership is gained through laws and techs now, so I dont' have to worry about not getting full LS from occupations, and IC is sparce in Asia outside of China and Japan, so there's not much to gain by using a harsher policy.

With your small, outdated fleet I'm sure your caution with amphibious operations is very wise!

The Entente forces seem to be doing quite well in Europe, but then the French army is still completely intact in this very unusual alternative timeline and the British have had a long time to build up. Entente forces in your theatre seem very few at the moment (understandably) but I suspect they will reinforce the new front given time.

Funny you mention all of that, because everything you said will come up in the next chapter ;) I plan on making the next update tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.