• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope the PRC joins the fray as an independent faction. Neither the imperialists nor the mad Stalin make favourable allies and the Axis is all but gone. On the other hand, there is little to gain from the USSR except for the vast and almost unihabited areas east of the Ural mountains. Resources could be found there, but China ought to have plenty of these already. However, Japan be another worthy target, having a good industrial base which would go a long way to help out Chinas production issues. It'd mean fighting the Allies, but then again... no gain without pain.

Relations with Stalin might be difficult, but there are a lot more reasons to move against the Allies. I seem to remember reading that your neutrality was very high, so will that cause you any problems getting into the war? And in any case which would be easier to achieve - an independent declaration or joining the Comintern?

I suspect as you hinted that the Yugoslavs have just opened the back door to the Red Army, and that is probably going to end very badly for them. As I read it, it's now Allies versus Comintern and Axis, so despite Italy's current predicament, I think the Allied situation in Europe has just got considerably worse. Asia of course could be an entirely different matter...

Chapter 13: The Calm Before the Storm - Jun 10, 1944 to July 2, 1945

While the Chinese Civil War, or Jiěfàng Zhànzhēng came to an end, WW3 continued unabated. In the Middle East, the Red Army advanced relentlessly into Iran and Iraq. Iranian resistance was stiff, as the Iranians were bolstered by support from the British Raj. Combined with poor infrastructure and harsh desert and mountain terrain, the Soviet advance stalled near the southern portion of the Zagros mountains due to UK support. Iraq, however, was the weak link in the Imperialist defenses in the region, and surrendered to the Soviet Union on September 1, 1944.

Iraq was the first nation of the Entente Powers to fall to the Red Army

Yugoslavia's decision to join the Entente was based on the assumption that either France would send troops east to the newly formed Balkan Front and allow Yugoslav and Greek soldiers to finish off Italy, or France would continue the offensive toward Rome and Yugoslav and Greek troops would march east to the undefended Yugoslav/Hungarian border. However, neither event occurred, and the Red Army slowly advanced toward Belgrade unopposed. In desperate need of assistance, Yugoslavia petitioned Finland to join the war effort. Having been reassured by the UK they would receive assistance, Finland joined WW3 on Yugoslavia's side on September 3, 1944, officially joining the Entente powers later. However, the opening of the Finnish front did little to stop the Red Army from overrunning Yugoslavia. Yugoslavia surrendered on September 15, 1944.

Yugoslavia's unwise decision to fight against the USSR led to its surrender and reversed the Axis's strategic situation.
Not pictured is the re-occupation of northern Italy by Yugoslav and Greek troops after hearing that the government in Belgrade managed to escape.

With the fall of Yugoslavia, large portions of the Yugoslav and Greek armies were now trapped in northern Italy and Greece was all but defenseless. However, the combined forces of the Entente pressed close to Rome, forcing Italy to call upon its ally Bulgaria on November 27, 1944. Bulgaria quickly came to Italy's aid, and Greece surrendered on January 2, 1945. With the fall of Greece and Yugoslavia to the Comintern and Axis, Italy was able to regroup north of Rome and push France off of Italian soil within a matter of weeks, even managing to push into Austria and southern Germany.

The surrender of Greece secures Italy's eastern flank and the Comintern's southern European flank

The war in the wst saw the Red Army reach the Rhine River, and a static front formed across the entire length of the river by July 2, 1945. Finland was putting up stiff resistance, but was nearing collapse due to the Imperialists failing to deliver on their promises of military assistance. Meanwhile, Italy had reached the pre-war French border, had conquered most of French Algeria, and had halted the Egyptian and British advance into Libya near the city of Benghazi. The situation in Iran and Iraq had changed in the Entente's favor, but the Red Army was still strong and the front remained stable throughout the summer of 1945.

The state of WW3 west of China on July 2, 1945

In the east, fighting was fierce and brutal. Two years worth of fighting saw little concrete land transfers. The Red Army had occupied all of Sakhalin Island, Japan had occupied southern Kamchatka and was nearing Ulaanbaatar in Mongolia. Meanwhile, eastern Manchuria was under the occupation of the Red Army. The poor regional infrastructure, lack of large ports, and the large numbers of combat units all contributed to taxing the supply networks of both Japan and the USSR to the extreme in the Far Eastern theater. In addition, it was estimated that most of Japan's army was lost in Germany or in France. Overall, the Far Eastern theater up to this point was of secondary strategic importance to the war in Europe.

The state of WW3 in the Far East on July 2, 1945

Mao carefully watched the state of the war during the year after the liberation of China proper and the western provinces. During that time the PLA and PLAAF were greatly expanded, as it was inevitable that China would enter the war at some point. Much consideration had gone into when China would enter the war, and on whose side it would enter on. In addition, the people were tired of war, and having finally found peace they were reluctant to once again have their sons, husbands, and fathers put themselves in harm's way. However, the people of Taiwan, Chahar, East Hebei, and Manchuria were begging to be liberated from their imperialist masters, and the CPC spent the brief respite preparing the people for the conflict to come.

Finally, on June 2, 1945, Mao ordered the PLA to mobilize and prepare for combat. The People's Republic of China was going to enter WW3.

The Chinese people were once again ready to liberate their kinsmen, and Mao ordered the PLA to mobilize on June 2, 1945

Last edited:
Go China! Show those Allies who's boss!

Yay Finally there was an Update...was waiting for that quite some time.
I can tell you, i am Quite a China fan, even in the vanilla version and your AAR made me install HPP mod ;)
I have my own China game now, but not those Communists..bah :p

Chapter 14: Overview of the PLA

On July 2, 1945, Mao Zedong declared to the Chinese People, the Empire of Japan, and the rest of the world that the People's Republic of China would begin liberating the People of Asia from their Imperialist masters and reunite Manchuria with China. On July 2, 1945, the People's Republic of China declared war on the Empire of Japan and joined World War III as a third party, an act which had many far-reaching ramifications.

On July 2, 1945, the PRC entered WW3.

Since the founding of the PRC as an internationally-recognized sovereign nation, the PLA had begun a massive expansion. While aircraft had to be designed and built without foreign assistance, lessons learned from the War of Liberation pointed to the necessity of heavy weapons support for the infantry. Also, the limitations of armed volunteer units became apparent during the Chinese Civil War, and the main focus of the PLA's rearmament program was therefore split between equipping all divisions with artillery support and replacing militia units with trained regular infantry brigades. While China had many large borders to defend and the focus on improving the existing PLA over simply expanding it resulted in some coverage shortages, the fact that China's primary opponents had committed themselves to fighting in Europe meant that the lost potential of having more soldiers to cover the front was diminished. If the enemy didn't have troops to spare on the defense, then a handful of Chinese soldiers could simply occupy and liberate the people living in the colonies.

Despite the long border it had to cover and the strength of its enemies, the PLA was still a powerful force more than capable of tipping the balance of global power. The PLA was divided into 4 operational groups. The first was Army Group North, which commanded both PLAAF medium bomber wings, 3 light fighter wings, 75 infantry divisions, 5 mountain divisions, and 5 cavalry divisions. Army Group North was tasked with retaking Manchuria from the Japanese and liberating Korea. As the bulk of the Entente forces in Asia was currently fighting the Red Army in this area, Army Group North could expect rapid territorial gains until the Japanese relocate units engaged in the front to the south. At this point the PLA must rely on experience and leadership against superior Japanese technology and air superiority. For this reason, the PLA's most experienced leaders and soldiers were assigned to the northern front.

Army Group North was the most experienced and best-led in the entire PLA, and was tasked with eliminating the Imperial Japanese Army

The next major theater was the Indian Front. Despite having poor intelligence, it was estimated that the bulk of the British Raj's army was in Iran fighting the Red Army. As a result, the entire border between India and China was undefended. The second largest concentration of PLA divisions was ordered to cover this vast area and invade India. However, the infrastructure leading to this combat area was woefully inadequate for extended combat operations, and the theater headquarters located in Di Hua (now known as Urumqi) was ordered to advance slowly and take few risks, as supplies and reinforcements would be difficult to come by.

The Indian Front was of vital strategic importance.
Prior to declaring war it was known that this front would be plagued with logistical problems

The Southern Army Group was the third major division of the PLA. It's initial task was to secure French Indochina, then move west to Burma. Because of the mountainous terrain in the expected warzone, the PLA's second mountain corps was attached to Army Group South. Unfortunately, due to an oversight, Army Group South would not be deployed to Indochina, which remained neutral in WW3, but instead have to be redeployed to Burma. While not a critical oversight, as Burma was planned to be attacked after Indochina was pacified, the offensive operations in India could've been accelerated had Army Group South been deployed properly.

Army Group South would need to be redeployed after China entered WW3

Two other minor PLA divisions remained. The first was a force consisting of the 7th and 8th Corps, which were tasked with liberating the foreign concessions of Zhangjiang and Hong Kong. Both concessions were the sites of large naval bases and, in the case of Zhangjiang, a large coal mine. Both concessions were rightful territories of China, and both could be used to launch invasions into Guangdong province. Removing all foreign presence in these concessions was of the highest priority, despite requiring few soldiers to do so. Defensive garrison troops were on standby to defend the concessions after the infantry secured them, and both corps were slated to join Army Group South after having completed their missions.

The foreign concessions could be dangerous if left alone

Finally, a single corps of infantry was stations in Fuzhou. Since the year 1405, Fuzhou had been a major naval base, and in 1945 the city's port was still significant. This corps was to land and capture Taiwan, but only if conditions allowed it to do so. The PLAN was in no way, shape, nor form capable of performing any offensive operations, including commerce raiding. The state of the PLAN in 1945 was as though the PLAN didn't exist, so outclassed were the ships serving in the PLAN. However, Japan was at war with both Italy and the USSR, both of which possessed either large navies or the capability to produce large navies, and it was not inconceivable that the IJN would temporarily abandon its defense of Taiwan.

The 9th Corps was tasked with the liberation of Taiwan only if the military situation allowed for such an operation

Finally, as the PRC was a major global power, such power demanded that technological progress continue. One of China's major weaknesses was its overall backwardsness when compared to Japan and the Western powers. Because of that, major research and development projects had been funded since 1942, and the fruits of Chinese intellectual labor were now becoming ripe.

Small arms and weapons technology
inftech.jpg

Chinese heavy artillery is comparable to even the best European weapons
arttech.jpg

The PLAN is focusing on submarine research in order to starve Japan of raw materials
shiptech.jpg

Chinese interceptors are inferior to everything the Entente can field
fightertech.jpg

Chinese industry employs modern production methods
industrytech.jpg

China's supply corps is equal that that of any western nation
theorytech.jpg

Chinese land doctrines are only slightly behind those used by the Western nations
landdoctrine.jpg

China's operational doctrines favor the Human Wave school of warfare
operdoctrine.jpg

The PLAAF is still in its infancy, and is focused on air superiority rather than offensive tactics
airdoctrine.jpg

Last edited:
Your airforce might not be that far behind as you think, your version looks suspiciously like the one we use, and there none research radar so none get advanced aircraft and therefore cannot research further than '41(I think) single engine tech.

The AI research is a bit messed up in SF HPP, but it is not true that they never research radar and advanced aircraft designs. In fact, I think that I only had to fix this in two cases out of all major countries.

The PLA looks solid, but those planes are pretty old. Even if the AI isn't researching intelligently, I know that my own Australia in 1940 had better noticably air tech than that (both in terms of plane research and doctrines) and I was unable to compete for more than short engagements against Germany's air force. I'd expect 1945 Japan to be even tougher.

Still, being this far along as one of the hardest nations in HOI is an impressive feat, given I've seen no gamey tactics thus far on your part. I look forward to the inevitable liberation of Northeast China and the Korean People!

The AI research is a bit messed up in SF HPP, but it is not true that they never research radar and advanced aircraft designs. In fact, I think that I only had to fix this in two cases out of all major countries.

In my latest game, none had research radar in '47 :(

On the other hand some techs were 7 years advanced at that point.

Yeah, the AI likes to research some techs ahead a bit TOO much, which cripples its progress in other areas. However, AFAIK HPP version for SF is no longer supported and all effort is devoted to FTM, so you either have to fix it yourself or live with it ;).

The tech AI is hard to balance from what I hear, because what may seem like a minor change can result in unintended wrong behavior. I haven't touched any of the AI files so I don't know the details as to why the research can be off.

@Wallienator: Unfortunately no. Getting boots on the ground to cover China's long borders was deemed more important than infrastructure, and starting to build an air force to become a major power and gain 7 more LS was the top priority as well. If you look at the industry tech screenshot, you'll see that I haven't even researched the tech that unlocks infrastructure. "It is better to be at the right place with 10 men than absent with 10,000", and the PLA was too small to cover all the fronts I need to fight to spend IC on infrastructure. Given China's poor infrastructure levels, the IC investment required to noticeably improve infra was not a viable use of IC given the circumstances. To compensate, my supply transfer techs are up to date.

I just caught up with this and want to say that this is a great AAR! I've never seen a Communist Chinese AAR that was so successful and entertaining Good luck against the Entente as you may need it! :)

It's quite a shame that you are restricted to 54 Generals ever, there are waaay too many '?'-s on those screenshots :p

Status
Not open for further replies.