Interesting landless characters in 867 and 1066

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MirrorMonkey2

Second Lieutenant
10 Badges
Nov 19, 2020
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings III
So presumably you will be able to play as any landless character in any start date? What are some interesing starts in this department for the already existing start dates?
Also, I‘m asking myself if you even will be able to start as any landless character and if yes, how will the UI be handled for selecting them? Because I imagine that it will be quiet a challenge to design since there are so many landless characters in any given start date…

• 1Like
Reactions:
i suspect the "landless" characters will actually be characters that hold a specific "adventurer" title not tied to any counties, sorta like the ck2 patrician houses or what the rise to power mod did

the adventurers you may start as are liable to be a selection of characters cultivated by paradox, since theyd have to be assigned this title in advance. if you become unlanded or choose an unlanded character in the new death screen, it will generate a dynamic adventurer title using the same system that makes stuff like "crusader england" or mercenary companies or whatever

Reactions:
The developers confirmed some time ago that you won't be able to play any courtier in the game. Landless play is not title-less play and you still cannot play characters who don't have a title. In the case of landless characters, they will have special unlanded titles which make them playable. So, the real question is which characters should be administrative government nobles and which ones should be adventurers?

For 867, I'd like to see Lorcan Mac Lactna of the Dal gCais as an unlanded adventurer.

Reactions:
The developers confirmed some time ago that you won't be able to play any courtier in the game. Landless play is not title-less play and you still cannot play characters who don't have a title. In the case of landless characters, they will have special unlanded titles which make them playable.
Now that is very interesting, and something I didn't know.

I wonder if it'll be possible to turn non-adventurer and non-bureaucrat landless characters into either of those things. For example, if I'm the emperor of Byzantium can I just fork over a bunch of money to some random dude in the Empire and elevate him to the status of a prominent noble in the administration? It'd seem strange not to, given that you can already do that with landed titles.

• 3Like
Reactions:
The developers confirmed some time ago that you won't be able to play any courtier in the game. Landless play is not title-less play and you still cannot play characters who don't have a title. In the case of landless characters, they will have special unlanded titles which make them playable.
First, I'd be interested in seeing where this was confirmed.
Second, I feel like it would be trivially easy to have a dummy "adventurer" title ready to go if it was actually required that just gets auto assigned to any courtier you choose at game start, especially if you can have one generated for you if you lose all your land during the game.

Edit: From the Chapter III Dev Diary

Adventurers
Set out across the world as a historical adventurer, one of your own making, or keep playing your beloved character after being unfortunately deposed from your lands! Travel to distant realms, take on contracts, gather friends, wealth, and fame - do mercenary work, or settle in new lands.
If you can make your own, why wouldn't you be able to pick a courtier.

First, I'd be interested in seeing where this was confirmed.
Second, I feel like it would be trivially easy to have a dummy "adventurer" title ready to go if it was actually required that just gets auto assigned to any courtier you choose at game start, especially if you can have one generated for you if you lose all your land during the game.

Edit: From the Chapter III Dev Diary

If you can make your own, why wouldn't you be able to pick a courtier.

"It's landless admin + landless adventurers, not courtiers, not barons." -Wokeg, CK3 Game Designer

Reactions:
Asked and answered! However, I guess to me this only says that you can't play as a courtier, not that you can't select a courtier and they become adventurers, which is what I was trying to get at.
Maybe! I don't think they've said much about actually selecting the new playstyles from the start menu yet. I'm sure we'll hear about that soon.

But if you can transform a courtier into an adventurer, that guy wouldn't be a courtier anymore. Adventurers are their own masters. They don't belong to anyone and they can freely travel the world. So if you want to be King Alfred's landless chancellor or something, that's not in the cards. If you can transform anyone into an adventurer, you'd be ripping them from the court they start in and making them independent.

Asked and answered! However, I guess to me this only says that you can't play as a courtier, not that you can't select a courtier and they become adventurers, which is what I was trying to get at.
There's the bit in the dev comment about still "needing a title to play."

My assumption about the "create your own" is that it works the same as any other custom ruler: you replace one of the pre-made adventurers with a custom one. So, say, you select Rollo from the adventurer list during character creation, and replace him with your new custom genius, beautiful, strong ubermensch. Not "select a random courtier who exists in-game at start and play as them."