• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm liking the plan of action. De Faro is going to be quite surprised when Jean shows up to deliever punishment while the Red Lion clan are at Mass. Good. Very good. :cool:

I too will jump on the Godfather band wagon! Well worth the time served. A word of warning however, make sure you're not trying to watch them after coming off a long stretch of no sleep. You will surely end up having quite a wild set of dreams! :eek:o

Martin may understand too late the danger of settling in a previously own territory without bringing in his own henchmen... :D

Just like draco, I enjoy the prospect of the murder during the mass. I imagine the stabbing with hymns as the background soundtrack. :cool:

Great job at mixing humor in with a very grave (and startlingly frank!) scene.

I really love the family dynamics you have going here. "It's important to me!" :) And the jibe and the feeble defense regarding stomping. Like a real family -- like ones I know!

Looking forward to the planning, and then the execution (so to speak).

Rensslaer

All Not an update, I am afraid. The fact is my brain is trying to catch up to my writing, and I want to mull on a couple of options for what happens next. However, time for feedback.

J. Passepartout Actually probably a bit of both. Old Charles fought for Charles I after all, who was a crypto-Catholic, and religion was a major feature of that conflict. However, it is also very politic to be seen to be Catholic in Spain of this world since, as I recall, I was fully narrow-minded for pretty much the entire game, and only grudgingly tolerant towards Protestants. I chose St Thomas a Becket as St Thomas was himself a 'native' of England, while George is a foreigner, so to speak.

coz1 I rather liked that line myself, I must say.
coz1 said:
It occurs to me that Jean is learning a great deal more of this group after this circumstance than he had before. I almost get the feeling that you as author are beginning to care for them more at the same time as he. It's a pleasure, to be sure.
Not precisely care, rather I know have a clearer picture of them in my mind. In short, they have made the transition from objects to characters. Of course, for Red Charles this has been true for some time, but now I am beginning to really sink my teeth into the opportunity that is the Red Lion. Essentially, I am finding out more about them as I go, and so to therefore are you, my readers. I'm sure if someone looks hard enough they will find a couple of (I think minor) inconsistencies now, a symptom of the 'on-the-wing' style, but I am not worrying at all about them.

Draco Rexus I'm glad you like the idea. Old Charles is nothing if not canny.

Nil-The-Frogg There is a scene in Babylon 5 where one character settles a feud by arranging the death of his enemy, and as this is going on the screen keeps cutting back to a church service where there is boisterous singing of a hymn with the line "And the rock called out, no hiding place". Another example I can think of is that scene in The Untouchables where Sean Connery's character is being shot and the camera keeps flicking to Al Capone enjoying his opera. Both were very much in my mind when I set up this situation, though this will not be actually possible for me to achieve writing 1st-person narrative.

In a different situation, of course, a juxtaposition of Present, Past, or Memory would do the same thing.

Rensslaer Personally I find humour to be at its most powerful when it is being used in some of the least humurous settings, and there was a little bit of that in this scene, true. But it was mostly unintentional. The family stuff that is going on now though, as I say in the reply to coz1 above, is the result of much more planning. Glad to know that it does not come across as being forced.

I've caught up again. Quite a few happenings since I last read here.

Reading a couple of updates in a row, one of the things that most struck me was the difference in style between Jean's father (in his memories) and Old Charles in dealing with his children. Though both men are tough, very capable men, Old Charles seems to be much more open to his children. On the other hand, he also sounds like a far more hands-on ruthless bast... person, so the closer bonds with his children by no means make him a better human being. :)
Of course, others have also commented on the comparison between the two families.

There is a Yin-and-Yang-like reverse symmetry (eh? I'm afraid I'm not making much sense here. I'm sure there's a better word to describe this, but I'm at a loss right now...) between the scenes featuring Old Charles and Mary. Old Charles is composed, tough, showing only a little of his grief in the hidden moment before Jean leaves the room, while Mary is grieving, emotional, except for that brief moment where she relishes her killing of the assailant/prisoner. That confession of hers stung me a little: it was a shock to see my perception of the woman altered so dramatically. Not that I saw her as weak before, but such a quick, off-hand murder...

Then there's Jean's upcoming job. The wheels are set in motion. It should be another crucial event in his life, another defining moment to shape him.

stnylan: All Not an update, I am afraid. The fact is my brain is trying to catch up to my writing, and I want to mull on a couple of options for what happens next. .. I'm sure if someone looks hard enough they will find a couple of (I think minor) inconsistencies now, a symptom of the 'on-the-wing' style...

this is certainly reasonable. it makes no sense to "paint yourself into a corner" when pausing to plan the sequence of events allows you to "paint" yourself into a smooth flowing stream.

Indeed, there might be a further delay now as I have just (as in, all of four hours ago) bought myself a new computer, which I only managed to get working about an hour ago, and so I am now going to be spending time getting this (very nice) machine set-up as I wish it and port across all my various files and folders.

After reading Rensslaer's and Coz1's AARs (or as much as I can) I move on to yours. It has gotten quite a reputation from what I read in the forums and I'm sure I will enjoy just as much as I did thiers. So this AAR is tagged. ;)

stnylan said:
Indeed, there might be a further delay now as I have just (as in, all of four hours ago) bought myself a new computer, which I only managed to get working about an hour ago, and so I am now going to be spending time getting this (very nice) machine set-up as I wish it and port across all my various files and folders.
Very well, Sir! :D

Now you're all set for EU III ! Maybe you could port this whole AAR over there, since you don't exactly have screenshots or anything. It should qualify as an EU III AAR as well as for this, and then it will be in the current forum.

Thanks Mr.G! ;) I appreciate your interest. You've chosen a great next project!

Rensslaer

Rensslaer Well, technially it won't as this is based on an EU2 game, rather strongly based actually. It's amazing how little fudging I have had to do.

Mr.G 24 Thank you very much for your interest! I hope you enjoy yourself!

stnylan: Well, technically it won't as this is based on an EU2 game, rather strongly based actually...

which patch of EU2 do you play this game in? IIRC, i did not see it in either of the first two posts...

and, while i am thinking about it: how goes the new computer? ? [i trust, no doubt, that you are having to break it in with some new games, no? ? :D ]

oh, did i say, "enjoy your new games?"

enjoy your new games! ! ;) the least you could do is to complain about how distasteful it is breaking in the new computer! ! :cool:

GhostWriter said:
which patch of EU2 do you play this game in? IIRC, i did not see it in either of the first two posts...
All played through on vanilla 1.09. No mods or anything. Essentially I was going for mass colonisation from the start - which did happened. However, I also ended up with a rather nice Continental empire that I very much did not intend when I started playing. Sort of a similar process to how the British ended up taking over India in real life.

Oh, and the new computer is very fine thank you! Just been playing Neverwinter Nights 2. It's nice....

:)

stnylan: ...Oh, and the new computer is very fine thank you! Just been playing Neverwinter Nights 2. It's nice.... :)

it took me a while, but i came to the conclusion that a new game on that new computer would explain the non-update situation! ! ;) however, is that NWN2 new to you? ? :D

patiently waiting for an update! ! :cool:

Well, on the basis it only arrived on the doormat this morning - yes! ;)

((Rattles Stnylan's cage, hoping to wake him from the Neverwinter stupor))

:D

I actually have time to catch up on stuff, for a moment, and I'm disappointed that there's nothing to catch up on! :p

Rensslaer

I just read ALL of this over the course of a few days. I can't wait for more!

Fulcrumvale said:
I just read ALL of this over the course of a few days. I can't wait for more!
Quite a treat, eh?

I think we're going to have to stop Stnylan from reading 500 AARs a day, so he has time to write this... :D

Rensslaer

Rensslaer said:
Quite a treat, eh?

I think we're going to have to stop Stnylan from reading 500 AARs a day, so he has time to write this... :D

Rensslaer
Seconded!

Glad to know you have enjoyed it Fulcrumvale.

I can let you fine folks know that I have started writing the next update. Though it won't get posted tonight, or even tomorrow, as I am rather busy - and no even playing Neverwinter!

It's those AARs I'm reading, of course. Wonderful things really, and, well, sort of as a byproduct of that my post count has been getting higher and higher, and with this post it will hit 10,000.

I wanted to post it here, just to thank all you guys who have read this AAR, and have encouraged me. Writing for oneself is fun. Writing for the enjoyment of others is pure joy, bright sunshine undimmed by passing clouds. And I thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

stnylan said:
I wanted to post it here, just to thank all you guys who have read this AAR, and have encouraged me. Writing for oneself is fun. Writing for the enjoyment of others is pure joy, bright sunshine undimmed by passing clouds. And I thank you, from the bottom of my heart.
Don't get us wrong. We're a selfish bunch reading this only because it's such a great tale and because we too need your support. :cool:

Sure.

Oh, well, I never wrote that pleasing you wasn't a wonderful bonus in the process, though. :D