• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That is an awesome addition to the story. It's nice to get to know some of these men better.:cool:

I don't know how wise it is to include anti-Semitism and thus some other factors of WWII in this otherwise nice narrative... :p
Ahh, that's as far as I'll go with that. Just wanted to touch on it, momentarily, to show some tension.

Renss

Well done narrative! It reminds the readAARs that just because Portugal is allied with the Axis not all is paradise. This obvious social issue may foreshadow some important (for the actual AAR) military ones. Not to jump ahead but I can imagine a fictionalized account of a battle going poorly for "our heroes" when the Germans (or Italians) fail to contribute, provide back-up or in some other way are remiss in holding up their end of the alliance.

Ahh, that's as far as I'll go with that. Just wanted to touch on it, momentarily, to show some tension.

Renss

This is a great story and this anecdote adds depth to the characters and the the broader situation. The history that you touch on is very real and it reminds us of the danger of extreme goverments.

I'm really enjoying this!

I'm with kigrwik. I think you handled the sensitive subject matter tactfully. And well-written too...I can just imagine the atmosphere in the cockpit of Chita.

These personal interludes remind us all what war is to those who have to endure it. And may the Portuguese never forget the cost in human terms of the strategic and tactical choices they make in their attempt to regain their former greatness!

So how goes the war in the east? Looks pretty gripping now - roll on the next update :)

Great story, I was wondering if you were thinking of touching on Aristides de Sousa Mendes do Amaral e Abranches story who helped over 30K people flee occupied France including over 12K Jews.

See wiki article; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristides_de_Sousa_Mendes

One of the biggest injustices of the dictatorship.

Completely disregarding Salazar orders who forbid any visas, he issued those 30k visas to save those people.

As a reward for his kindness he was recalled, striped of his job, forbidden to ever work again as a lawyer and died in poverty depending on the kindness of others. :( :(

Anyway. Even though I haven't posted in this thread for awhile, I've been following the AAR with interest. Now, keep kicking those English. And remember. From Angola to Mozambique. Remember to take those lands too ;)

Ahh, the boredom and tension of long flights. Friction in a bomber crew can be pretty dangerous...

Another encouragement to vote in the AARLand Choice AwAARds!

After I first mentioned it, here in this thread, virtually nothing happened, and so I say again to you -- Go! :)

Again, also, this is NOT a solicitation for votes for this AAR -- there are plenty of gems out there, in HOI 3, HOI 2 and Victoria, among the other games.

Thanks!

Renss

Renss, at long last I am again caught up. Enjoying it all, but I must again point out that you're at your best with the narrative. I hope you can work more of that in. I must differ from Enewald and praise you for skillfully bringing that up without treading on dangerous ground.

Vann

What the others said: touchy subject, but sensitively handled and adding a layer of depth to the story you wouldn't have otherwise.

Regarding the trans-African flight, I am impressed how you pulled together a variety of sensations to really create the feeling of flying a lonely airplane through the dark night over tractless wilds.

I liked how the mention of the droning engines references both the sense of hearing and the sense of feeling. By combining those two senses, it becomes much more immediate. It was very easy to imagine the drone and its ability to soothe your body and mind to sleep.

I also liked the reference to the Congo river. It gives something to latch on to in the empty skies and shapeless jungle and it also gives an immediate exotic jolt, so it's a very useful shorthand to both locate the scene and describe that location.

Finally, the description of navigating by sextant really brings home how primitive flying still was at that time, how risky, as well.

All in all, a lot of well-crafted sentences that convey a wealth of imagery.

A question for Rensslaer:

The 1.3 beta patch is out in the Tech Support forum, so I guess that 1.3 is right around the corner. Are you going to keep this AAR on 1.2 ? Update and start again from scratch ? Update and try to import your savegame ?

An interesting coincidence with the AAR's title is that during the middle ages and reconquista eras the jewish who "accepted" to "change" their religion and became christians were called "Cristãos Novos" or new christians.

This also applies to the moors that were given a choice to stay in Portugal if they accepted to "change" after the Reconquista.

Since I bet most people reading this won't really have any idea about this story, just as a curiosity this wasn't a minor thing at all. In Brazil nowadays you'll be hard pressed to find portuguese last names that are not "Cristão Novo" it really isn't easy to find.

Everything got mixed in a huge melting pot of the iberian peninsula and today it is difficult to find out the "roots" of our last names.

Just as an example my last names (yeah, we have more then one =P ) are "Simões" "Corrêa" and "Alves". All of them can be considered 100% genuinely portuguese. At the same time..."Corrêa" is quite obviously new christian and has jewish roots while the other two are of moor decendency.

Funny how hate and intolerance can lead to these cases where people get so mixed up they forget their descendency. That's a good thing :cool:

Back on topic...loving the AAR.

Back on topic...loving the AAR.

Thanks for sharing this bit of historical information !

It's great to be able to learn about such ancient times while discussing a fictional "alternate history" about a fairly recent time period.

I love history, and I love stories. Keep them coming !

Back on topic:

Q1: how do you plan to deal with rebels (if and when they occurr) ? I don't think you have the means to keep strong garrison units everywhere ?

Q2: do you plan on invading South Africa ? I'd like to see your tactics, as I'm playing Spain at the moment and I have my eyes set on SA (which hasn't joined the Allies).

There are alot of great comments I want to get back to you on...

Sorry I've been so busy I haven't made it by for an update.

Question for you... I've been considering re-formatting my future updates to follow theatres, over time, rather than covering time as it goes around the world, step by step.

This more coordinated approach might ultimately have more value for those wanting to see how I conduct certain campaigns. This is how I did my gameplay updates (historybook, really, but gameplay in nature) in Fire Warms the Northern Lands.

Sforza!!! has been in the pure chronological format, which is more sloppy and not as informative, but it's easier for me to do when I'm busy.

You people who've made Sforza!!! so popular have been making me lazy! :p

But I'd like to put more work into Imperio if you'd like to see it, and think it would be more helpful. Otherwise, I can keep doing it as I have been.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Rensslaer

Personaly I´ve liked this AAR until now.
But if you think that it´s better some other way I think you should do it.
I like the level of detail in this AAR because I will play Portugal some times when i leave HOI2 and start HOI3.