IG leaders should have a chance to make their beliefs permanent, and other changes.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MatthewP

General
52 Badges
Feb 8, 2017
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
IGs suffer from a few issues:

1) They are too static
2) Their non-static element, leadership, is too random, and takes too little input from the state of your pops.
3) The non-random elements of determining leadership ideology are too opaque. The game doesn't explain in most cases what contributed to my new leader having ideology X.

Here are my suggestions to fix these issues:

1) Title. In particular, a leader who manages to implement all or part of their agenda should be able to add their ideology to their IG for good (replacing any ideology(ies) that directly conflict. This seems like a very organic way for IGs to change over time with only a minor tweak to the existing system. I'm not quite sure if this should always happen if the agenda was implemented, or only sometimes.

2) here is a good post on some pop-based factors that seem like they ought to affect how IGs see the world. For example, trade unions should be more likely to get leaders who care about cultural issues if there are tons of discriminated laborers. I diverge from the OP on that thread a bit in that I don't think they necessarily should support multiculturalism - sometimes they should swing the other way and double down on nativism as the accepted pops fight to keep their advantages. But anyway the leader selection system should take into account that having a majority of urban workers discriminated would be a huge issue one way or the other. Similarly with other cases; it's not so much that it has to cut one way, but that the things that lots of pops ought to care about are coming up a lot.

3) When a new IG leader arrives, the game should tell you why they believe what they do. I see this as a parallel to the new diplomatic catalysts feature. If I see "your new rural folk IG leader is an abolitionist - they were influenced by 39% radicalism in your slave population and the 2.7 million laborers (18% radical) who are employed in subsistence farms alongside slaves" that it much more immersive than it just happening for no apparent reason. Leader cards should show this in tooltips also so you can check later. (I half want to suggest leaders could change ideology over time but I suspect that would probably not be a good choice in practice).

With these changes I think IGs would be significantly more immersive and dynamic. I think people have problems with IG leaders because they seem like "oh they're just some random character, why are they changing the whole IG?" But if you can see the forces that made them believe what they do, it makes it much more intuitive that they're not just some person, they're the product of x, y and z that are huge issues and that's probably why they're now the IG leader.

One final thought. 1 and 3 are fairly small changes, while 2 is very open-ended. I think we probably won't ever have all of 2 to our complete satisfaction. But I would strongly advocate for adding 1, 3, and whatever starting point the devs think makes sense for 2. Even if it's not perfect it would be a huge improvement and leave room for more to be added later.

• 5Like
Reactions:
There also should be multiple influential people per IG
This way when you grab law, that IG leaders care about, then IG opinion is split - no more 100% of landowner IG would go to abolishing landowner influence due to market liberal or democrat character.

Reactions:
There also should be multiple influential people per IG
This way when you grab law, that IG leaders care about, then IG opinion is split - no more 100% of landowner IG would go to abolishing landowner influence due to market liberal or democrat character.
This makes sense, but I'm not sure it's a good idea. If an IG is a hodgepodge of small percentages supporting this and that, they will all lose character. I actually like that an IG can flip from one side to another quickly; even if it's somewhat unrealistic (though not totally so; quick flipping on issues in fairly cohesive groups does happen). To make it concrete, I think I have more interesting decisions to make if my clergy go abolitionist and my rural folk go slaver than if each of them goes 1/4 abolitionist and 1/4 slaver.

• 3Like
Reactions:
This makes sense, but I'm not sure it's a good idea. If an IG is a hodgepodge of small percentages supporting this and that, they will all lose character. I actually like that an IG can flip from one side to another quickly; even if it's somewhat unrealistic (though not totally so; quick flipping on issues in fairly cohesive groups does happen). To make it concrete, I think I have more interesting decisions to make if my clergy go abolitionist and my rural folk go slaver than if each of them goes 1/4 abolitionist and 1/4 slaver.
Maybe limit it to two most influential people, so their influences would shift over time.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Maybe limit it to two most influential people, so their influences would shift over time.
I think it should depend on the clout of the IG. For example, in a communist country where the trade unions have a monopoly on politics, they may still have factionalism between various communist figures.

• 4Like
Reactions:
I think it should depend on the clout of the IG. For example, in a communist country where the trade unions have a monopoly on politics, they may still have factionalism between various communist figures.
Yeah I think something like 1 leader for most IGs, 2 for powerful IGs (or IGs that have recently been powerful and haven't yet had a leader die) and maybe 3 for special cases like 40-50%+ influence could be the sweet spot.

I think that these are all great suggestions and should be considered independently of one another:

1. Already exists in game to a very limited extent and just needs the existing system of events expanded to encompass more ideologies and more IGs

2. I think some of these factors might already exist in game but are completely obfuscated by the lack of transparency with IG leader ideologies, so potentially by fixing 1 and 3 this gets at least partially addressed as well and this might not really need too much adjusting if other changes are made in a logical way

3. Should be a top priority, I'd also love to be able to see the same information for military leaders.

Although I don't think that this is the absolute best way to make "saner" IG / leader behaviour, it has the major benefit of being a relatively small change to the current game, mechanically speaking (it would need some new UI elements or tooltips to show additional information, and some extra scripting for events and weightings, but nothing else)

Reactions: