• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ja,ve have vays of making you AAr ;)
Gasp Can nothing stop the onslaught of the yellow peril! Guess you have solved the resource problem:rofl:

Cool look i forword to this:D

Dr

As this has been the 5th of 22 total updates before I'm all caught up to the current game being played there's still a long way to go before what you see there in 1943. I will post some pics of Army, Navy, and Air Force strengths throughout the world as well as a pic detailing my current resource glut.

1943 and no war with either the US OR the USSR! No wonder you're doing well!

Winston must be fuming at the impending loss of the Asiatic parts of the Empire.

Looking forward to the prosperity of the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere (GEACPS).

TheExecuter

Asia is a sore topic for Winston right now. :p Europe though...just wait! :D

Excellent update ,well worth waiting for!!

(Its a nice extra that in CORE Morocco sometimes get its independence through events.Needs a couple of RIF type morrocan leaders added for fun:) )

Nice style!Wow like a novel and/or a history book ,but amongst the detail you can still see how the Game has changed the history and drives the script.:cool:

:doc:

Indeed! I've only seen the Morroco event fire a couple times and just the other day playing a quick US game I saw the Basques in Spain declare independence! Shocked me greatly and made me wonder how fractious the area could have been (or was) during that time period. And thank you for the kind words. I could simply do a core dump of all the events that occured but I thought doing this AAR in a style where you the reader feel like there's quite a bit going on in the background that's only mentioned would be pretty cool. Mind, thanks to CORE and their millions of events, there's alot more happening behind the scenes that I cannot even describe nor have the time to write down.

I first remove from the history log all mentions of country influences - even mine. I make the presumption that the Japanese leaders would merely concern themselves with their immediate hemisphere of influence and not bother with what's happening outside of Asia unless it could directly affect them. This could lead to their downfall as events outside in Europe and whatnot do play a part in directing some nation's policies. After removing the political influences I then arrange the history log in Word format with each event falling under one type of heading - Builds, Research, Foreign Events, Japanese Events, and Battles. This way I can better see the ebb and flow of campaigns, what units got built that season, and specifics on research. Interestingly, the flow of the game begins to take even more of a shape. Sometimes I forget that I researched X and Y projects or even why I did it. When I look over my notes I have a moment of lucidity. :D

No, no Jorath! Mountain troops rock! Marines ooze awesomeness from every pore!

:D

China seems to be falling on schedule!

TheExecuter

Japan will be working on Mountain troops for the conflict in Burma/India. Marines though - there's many islands and plenty of invasion points away from contiguous Asia that require new theories of warfare. Plus these units help to appease Yamamoto! And yes, China is falling according to *my* schedule - in fact they fall within my original established timeline...just not Anami's boast. :p

With 5 updates out of 22 posted I'm on a roll! :D I'm writing up roughly 2 posts a day, posting only 1 each weekday. Thus over the course of the next month everyone will finally be caught up to where I am currently in the game - 1943. Stay tuned!

Summer 1938

War is not merely the act of pulling a trigger to fire a bullet, driving a tank to a victory location, or sailing a ship to patrol a sea zone. There are many aspects involved in the art of making war and not all are as glamorous as would be depicted in Hollywood movies and German propaganda films. Sometimes accidents happen and methods must be developed to rescue those trapped under tons and tons of cold, unforgiving water as in the case of submariners. Japanese researchers took this into account after some near-fatal training exercises with their mostly idle sub fleet and in mid-July developed plans to help rescue those who might be unfortunate enough to require such aid. Equipment, training, and processes were created and refined, exercises and training established, and the men who would spend time in the confined quarters of a submarine exhaustively prepared. In some of the exercises the Japanese leaders wanted the world to observe and witness their grandeur. A certain American submariner, late of the Coastal Guard was one of those invited to such a display. What he saw would in a matter of months be used in a real-world situation…

Among the aspects of war-making must also be ways to help pacify your citizens back home. War, out of necessity is an ugly business and difficult to dress up as anything but that. Hence those not used to such ugliness tend to become moribund and depressed as time drags on, bodies of loved ones come home or even not at all, and news reports simply fill the pages regaling tales of war and more war. Thus the Japanese were among the more forward-thinking of the nations in the world and a device was developed by scientists that would allow reception of televised programs to be beamed throughout the countryside. First used as simply a means for furthering the pro war propaganda of the military leaders, other programs were added implementing the Japanese love for Anime. It was nothing more than static drawings showing on the small screens for seconds at a time while either a transcript message displayed beneath it or paid voice actors spoke the necessary lines but it certainly worked. Throughout much of the war little to no unrest would ever occur in the homeland, unlike other nations…

Berlin, Germany, 4th of July, 1938

The Polish ambassador finished bowing perfunctorily and strode from the room, leaving the German trade minister and his aides looking after him troubled.
“Herr Hitler will not like this continuation of the Customs War” said one of his two aides.
“Is that what they call it? Hmm, well I would call it a debacle. Germany needs to trade her coal surpluses for oil else our industries will slow down. The rubber from Japan is a nice addition but we need more petroleum goods if these orders will ever be finished by our factories.”
“Yes…I have heard there is potentially another source we can look to but it might take some time to develop.”
“Who is it with?” asked the minister.
“Mexico. Apparently their leaders forced out all foreign oil businesses and took over their operations, all for the betterment of their country they say.”
“Hmm, perhaps that isn’t too bad of an idea…and something we ourselves can try out here, no?” the minister smiled.
“Perhaps,” the aide shrugged “but I will look into this possible trade with Mexico. It should not ruffle too many feathers, eh?”

Shanghai city, Chinese Army Commander’s war room, 27th of July, 1938

“What is this defeat in Shaoguan I read?” the general thundered to his hapless staff.
“Apparently the Chinese put up a stronger defense there than initially anticipated. The local commander felt three days of losses was more than should be born at this time.”
“Bah! I think the river flooding penetrated his brain in February. Pull his forces back to deal with these Chinese bandits in Huainan. Perhaps some time spent hunting this annoyance down across the countryside will do him some good. How else are we doing in this war?”
Pointing to the map in front of him the aide replied, “General, we’ve taken Huangshi and Wuhan provinces this month and should be readying our strikes on Shantou province next week. Our push to the interior has slowed but our movements southward are proving easier. We also anticipate another Marine operation soon…our planners are looking at Bobai in order to begin cutting off some sizable Chinese units from retreating in good order.”
Nodding the general pointed to the Zhu river, “If we can trap them against this natural obstruction perhaps our armor and planes can finish the job.” Sighing he looked up to his aide, “We were supposed to be finishing up all operations by this time as promised by General Anami. I do not see an end to this war yet though, we attack, the Chinese defend, and a few days later they retreat in order to start the process all over again. I hope we will be seeing some reinforcements soon.”
“I believe we will have the services of 4th Corps, specifically for the Marine operation I mentioned, and our requests for replacements as they are needed are being fulfilled as they happen. But I concur…another army group or two would help us immensely.”
“Meantime we must do with what he have. File this report as a probing action in Shaoguan for now. We will revisit this area when our units here and here” he motioned at the map, “can regroup and press our attacks.
“It’ll be September before we can see them in position General.”
He nodded, “Make it so nonetheless. We must continue our push to the interior while we run rampant along the coastline.”

1st of September, 1938, Imperial General Headquarters

The quiet halls in the late evening belied the activity occurring behind the cherry paneling doors as General Anami and his staff poured over reports, maps, and consulted planning documents. The war in China was going well but it had been dragging on for far longer than Anami had anticipated. However, there was always good news to be found.
“Several provinces are reporting completion on their industrial expansion stages general. We should be seeing more resources being funneled to our war efforts if this continues.”
Anami nodded and pointed to another paper he held in his hand. “And raw materials will not be much of a problem for too long. Our trade representatives state they have nearly completed negotiations with the Mexican government for a sizable amount of crude oil. I know our tanks will be happy to hear that.”
“Indeed! Hopefully this will greatly reverse the ill winds the United States threw our way with their cutting back on purchasing our exports a couple months ago.”
“Add that to a couple more provinces in China captured, Luoyang and Shantou and we will have much good news to have reported in the papers.”
Another aide spoke up, “Perhaps all is not quite good news. The English are mobilizing their naval reserves, albeit mostly in Europe.”
“We will have to keep a watch on what they intend, but I doubt they will do more to assist China than what they already have with the Burma-China road project.”
“I’ll send out the orders General.”

Excerpted from How the East was Won by Robert Kincaid

…pot was beginning to boil in many parts of the world with demonstrations in Czechoslovakia, worries growing in England, and the US pulling some of their presence out of China. It was still another full year before Germany would begin what many would call World War Two, though as has been argued by this author in previous chapters really began with the Japanese actions in China. Regardless while the horrible events of the Spanish Civil War was becoming a fleeting memory, many people were starting to be disturbed by events in Asia and in central Europe. With war dragging on in China and no end in sight one way or another, there were protests and demands on politicians to try and stop the suffering of the Chinese inhabitants. Very little other than policies that were intended to steer Japanese interests away from way its antagonistic methods were ever enacted in 1938 and often it performed the direct opposite of its intended effect. Sadly for the world, all of these efforts would create years of sorrow and agony…

Interlude

Communist Chinese forces were adept at slipping through the lines the Japanese garrisons had erected around their border. More than once a previously pacified province would see an insurrection mounted successfully as its inhabitants rose up and deposed the Japanese sponsored rulers. This was all short-lived however as within months Japanese troops, usually fast-moving cavalry would sweep into the area, routing all resistance. This would inevitably happen time and again though and it would be a couple years before the pacification of the last Communist stronghold would occur. Resources still flowed in however, and new deals and negotiations would be struck with new partners. Mexico provided Japan with much needed oil, as around this time in history Japan was seeing its oil reserves shrinking. Its citizens certainly felt the pinch as the government mandated a temporary halt to all personal vehicular traffic in the cities. Driving in the countryside was still a luxury afforded by some though and with the beautiful summer weather in Japan those who could, would take advantage.

Nearly one third of all of China was under Japanese rule by now and the successes of the Marine units foretold a swift end to Chinese control of its provinces bordering the sea. Soon though, the rapid advances along the coast would make way to the slow and tortuous movements into the hilly countryside if Japan wished to see all of this country under its sway. Summer drew to a close and Fall heralded a chance for China to perhaps slow down this inexorable yellow tide.

Note: Weather isn’t something I check with when planning my attacks, but several times I would watch a battle and see a weather icon appear. For the most part I’d have to say the weather cooperated with my assaults, but in the coming year I too often noticed rain, snow, or other poor conditions affect my battles often lengthening them. I had the manpower to produce reinforcements as needed but time was one element I knew could not be replenished. I definitely had to wrap up the fighting in China soon if I would have enough time to reposition my troops and ready my attacks on the UK et al…

Fall 1938

The art of politics hadn’t been honed quite as long as the art of war – early man after all found it easier to pick up a club and bash someone’s head in rather than try to eloquently discuss the ramifications of some action. However politics would be an important tool in warfare, treaties to help prevent conflicts, rules defining how man should kill another man in war, and creation of documents detailing how one person surrenders to another and cease the conflict. There were few nations as good at it currently as the Europeans – with over a thousand and more years practicing the art of the spoken and written word few could argue this point. The Japanese though were not complete novices…they honed their craft amongst each other back in the days of the samurai and ancient warlords long revered. Their style seemed archaic to those they plied their trade with currently but careful observations would reveal a sense of methodology, tradition, and pomp used in the Japanese negotiations. It may have been for these reasons that helped ease the public’s fears of Japanese expansion in China, for now…

Kaigun Kosho Naval Arsenal, Kure, Japan, 20th of September, 1938

800px-Japanese_aircraft_carrier_Soryu_1938.jpg

The elegant and massive carrier slowly maneuvered out of the channel and began its run to deep waters. Today, with Captain Kinpei Teraoka at the helm the most modern ship at sea would begin its speed trials. Rated for 35 knots everyone was anxious to see how she would perform. After being in drydock for far longer than expected and in fact should have been completed a year ago if it weren’t for the reassignment of the workers to uniform sewing duties for the Army all aboard thought it was due time for her to show the world how modern of a navy Japan was building. It would be at least a year and a half before another carrier would be completed and that one would merely be a conversion. This was the only aircraft carrier the Japanese designed, built, and launched as such up to this point.
“Steady five degree starboard turn and maintain speed at twelve knots helmsman” ordered Captain Teraoka. “Aye Captain” replied the sailor. For now Teraoka was the senior officer in charge of the majestic vessel but he knew it would not be forever. His job was to ensure that these speed and shakedown trials went well and the ship could be entered into the naval registry officially. At that point he would relinquish command to another more qualified to take the carrier into harm’s way. Teraoka knew this and accepted his role in Soryu’s birthing process. He was sure he would fondly remember this command of the most advanced fighting vessel on the seas.

Zhanjiang province, midnight 29th of September, 1938

Silently gliding to shore on their transport craft, the 2nd Marine Corps of the Japanese IJN began their assault. It was expected the Chinese were not aware of this pending operation or at the least the manner of how Zhanjiang would be attacked, but the planners were taking no chances. After the more successful night landings showed an attack performed from sea that could not be observed and thus no heavy artillery brought to bear on the ill-protected troops, casualties could be avoided. It was mere happenstance that a high tide, no moon, and perfect weather meant that this hour would be best for the attack. The military leaders were taking advantage of everything they could in this war.
As their craft made its soft landing on the beach the sergeant leading this platoon pointed and quietly gave his last instructions to the men. Fanning out from each of their ships and plenty more beginning to disembark hundreds and hundreds of the first wave of Marine invaders began their assault. Within minutes some desultory fire erupted from surprised and confused Chinese soldiers, with quick and sharp returns coming from the Japanese navy men. Eventually a full-scale battle ensued but not before two more waves of troops could land. Today the landing zone would be secured before noon and within the early noon hours thousands of troops would begin taking key installations and control points. Three days later the Chinese would melt back into the countryside and give up yet another coastal province to the Japanese.

30th of October, 1938, Imperial General Headquarters

It was business as usual in the crowded halls – workers were busy putting in an expansion to the esteemed military planning rooms, another wing that would house a 100 person briefing room/theater, a dozen additional offices, and even a new radio room that would receive the latest word from the frontlines. All this noisy work was muffled by the cherry paneled double doors that now sported two naval Marines as guards. In recognition for their excellent efforts in the field and their successes they were bringing the Empire General Anami had asked for two of the highest-decorated men to serve as honorary guards. It would certainly work well as a morale booster as troops everywhere heard about this revered assignment and strive to do all that they could to try and achieve this.
Looking over paperwork detailing research reports Anami remarked to his aides, “I see the time spent have our theorists work on invasion doctrines has paid off handsomely. The Marines are pushing aside any defenders they encounter on the beaches as a wind will do to this paper.”
“Indeed General, and with our cryptologists working on enemy signals we’ve been able to devise Electromechanical Decryption Machines to help our field commanders determine where best to strike.”
“Yes…it is a shame though that the Soryu would be finished just a month before our metallurgists could create new methods to better armor a carrier flight deck. Well, perhaps Yamamoto can make use of this technology before too long. In the meantime if only we had a magic bullet that could eliminate this Burma road the British have built to better supply the Chinese. The war drags on because of this recent development.”
His aide wisely did not mention anything about Anami’s One Year promise but merely nodded respectfully. His boss had already been brought to task numerous times over the year and he did not wish to see him shamed any longer.
“Zhanjiang and Guangzhou make the latest conquests to date…how fares the battles in Xianyang?”
“Not well General, the army’s regional commander has relieved the leader involved in retaking the province. As the General will recall, this was the same leader involved in the failed attacks against the Nationalist Chinese months ago. How he could fail to root out some Communist bandit scum is beyond my ken and apparently the regional commander had had enough as well.”
Nodding grimly Anami responded “Have orders drafted for the leader and his personal staff to report to Beijing province and take part in the modernization of the industry there. Perhaps some time spent digging ditches and erecting fieldwork could do him some good.”
“At once General!”

…was beginning to look like the events preceding the Great War with the US having sent useless diplomatic notes to both the Germans and the Czechs and now the Germans diplomat Ribbentrop attempting to assuage the Polish diplomat Lipski in their intentions. Naturally, the Poles looked upon anything Hitler did with some measure of distrust and rightly so. Yet again the Poles would rebuff the German efforts and refuse to play along with their advances. Could events in 1939 have occurred differently if the Polish government tried at least to meet equally with the Germans was an issue talked about quite vociferously afterwards but it is this author’s impression and beliefs that Hitler was never going to veer from his intentions, overall conquest of Europe. The Poles at least seemed to be cognizant of this fact yet never did much more than fully mobilize months later. Their diplomatic entreaties to the Western Allies amounted to little much…

Interlude

Yet another province slipped into the Communist grasp and it was beginning to look like the Japanese had no easy answer to this threat. Plans were already underway and being drafted to see about securing the few provinces the Communists were holed up in but for now the immediate goals of eliminating Nationalist Chinese forces were followed. The Marine landings were followed quite rapidly by the Japanese citizens and by a small contingent of the US military. If the Marines were a baseball team, they would have a perfect road record at this point and coupled with the Sea of Shanghai battle the Imperial Japanese Navy had quite a lot to crow about. Some even grumbled about how their projects were shoved aside in favor of button sewing for the Army forces however this impertinence was unfair. The Army was doing the bulk of the fighting and without their resources all Japan would have of China would be a few coastal provinces and towns.

The Air Force wasn’t quiet either – finally after a year of running battles in the skies above China the last few operational planes the Chinese pilots could muster lay wrecked on the ground below. From this point on the Japanese Air Force flew with impunity in the skies, providing support for attacks on key locations. Over the course of the next few months as it would be determined that yes, all Chinese planes were grounded one way or another, the Chinese bomber crews removed defensive armament, refitted bombing racks, all in order to be able to carry heavier and heavier ordnance loads. Several gunners and other non-essential crewmen were sent back to Japan to help prepare the next crop of pilots and crewmen, especially those beginning to train in the planes code-named “Zero”. These were due to start rolling out into active duty a year from now.

Note: Within a matter of months my naval forces would begin to reposition themselves, first heading back to the mainland in order to refit and regain org then to their eventual starting points for the war against the UK and her allies. The CAG was less than impressive but then I suppose that is the point with the CORE mod relegating carrier air forces to a smaller unit. Realistic, though it’ll remain to be seen how much so come late 1941. My research would generate stronger army units with Deep Area Defense Doctrine and Motorized HQs being developed. The Marines certainly did well with the aforementioned Basic Invasion Organization and were becoming nigh unstoppable!

Winter 1938-1939

In the time of Napoleon there were established time periods that wars and battles would commence. Typically weather and temperature would affect these time periods and even now with the harsh winter of late ’38 to early ’39 combat operations would slow down and begin to cease. Units would dig in their established territories, mechanical devices would be winterized, and most men’s thoughts would turn to home during this downtime. There was little the leaders could do anyway, snow and rain would slow or stop all movement, supplies would have difficulty reaching their targets, and planes just could not take to the air as easily. Of course, what adversely affected the invaders also affected the defenders in equal matter. Throughout the course of this winter there were only two military operations of consequence: a Chinese counter-attack in Jiangmen on December 17th which was swiftly repulsed in a matter of hours, and a Japanese probing attack from the now-infamous IJN Marines into Nanning province on February 11th, located just west of the Zhu river forking. Amazingly the Marines attacked in conditions that were considered by even the most foolhardy to be terrible…yet they persevered and within a day they forced the Chinese defenders out. Apparently the lure of a cushy assignment back home was a great incentive…

9th of February, 1939, Imperial General Headquarters

The windows in the war room were frosted over with ice as temperatures outside were the coldest yet for this winter. General Anami took small comfort in that the Army in China was no doubt experiencing some of the same weather the homeland was suffering under. Still, work went on, planning for the next stages of the war continued, and scientists were ever busy in their labs and think tanks. Already, news just arrived from Washington DC in the United States that the Physics Conference there had born some fruit and physicists were returning home with fresh new ideas. How this would affect the conflict in China Anami had no clue and as such he easily dismissed the exuberant telegram just received in the morning.
Among the list of recent researches and discoveries that Anami knew he could use were a new Artillery Maneuver Doctrine, a better method to rationalize Supply to the troops, a Decimetric Radar Warning Site, improvements on Long-Range Radio Sets, as well as Man Portable Radio Sets. His men too would be seeing results of personal Basic Submachine Guns – technology his German “friends” had refused steadfastly to provide him with all this time. And it looked as if new Fighter Projects would be underway soon as theorists took the lessons learned through the last year and a half in the air war over China. Both the Navy and Army would benefit greatly here, he was sure.
Still, the slow going in China and cessation of all combat operations the last few months meant more time to pour over troubling radio dispatches and telegrams. Of particular note were events that had been occurring in Siam. Months and months back Anami recalled having received a note detailing a change in government happening there. It had sounded peaceful at the time but this latest dispatch had him frowning. In response to Japan’s successes in China, Siam was Mobilizing themselves in an apparent preparation for some perceived conflict. Whether this would be helping or hindering his country, General Anami did not know but he was astute enough to realize this potential threat might have to be dealt with. Ambassadors to that country indicated Siam actually was aligned in the same manner of thinking as Japan and undoubtedly would pose little to no threat to any of their plans in Asia, but Anami was not so certain. Something eventually might have to be done about this nation and thusly he began to draw up contingencies detailing resolutions to possible situations.

…Germany as a major power and meant to be recognized as such, hence their demands of the return of their former colonies throughout the world. Most nations involved like Britain, Belgium, and Australia chose to ignore or issue flat denials of Germany’s claim. There was not much Germany could or would do at this stage in the game about pressing their claim but doing so did have the unintended effect of pushing their future partners, the Japanese away. After all, a third of Japan’s controlled territories used to be German controlled islands and they had little interest in relieving themselves of such excellent staging areas for their growing navy. Germany also sought to quickly regain their status as a naval power and began to initiate a Z-Plan, looking to create a powerful navy as rapidly as possible. For most nations this would only lead to disaster but Germany had some advantages: an abundant supply of coal to use, a plethora of experienced naval officers to draw from, and a past history of being a sea power, albeit not as great as the British.
Hitler would flirt often with scaling up then later scaling down his desires for a great navy, almost but not quite building the ships necessary to challenge the United Kingdom’s control of the North Sea. In point of fact, their best hope lay in what had begun to prove to be the deciding factor in strangling England, the submarine. Unfortunately for Donitz and other leaders espousing such a doctrine, Germany did not build many subs and when they did, most would promptly get sunk in air raids or the powerful destroyer groups Britain put together for that express purpose. Some people apparently remembered the past…

Interlude

Diplomacy would rear its ugly head time and again for Japan with their Diplomatic Demarche being rebuffed by the US and a month later Roosevelt’s Executive Order detailing any and all future treatments of the Imperial Empire. Would history provide a kind light on the Japanese? They after all were looking at merely improving the life of their citizens and in order to do so needed more raw materials to accomplish this. With their trade partners (mostly the US) stymieing them at every turn in their own misguided attempts at shaping Japanese policies where else could the Japanese turn to but their military for answers? The war in China was going surprisingly well and while an end still wasn’t in sight, it could be said that Japan had crossed over the halfway threshold and was racing to some definitive ending.

Still, the UK looked at prolonging the conflict as best as they could and with the completion of the Burmese Road on the 3rd of February, 1939 supplies could flow to the Chinese in vaster and greater quantities. The slowdown of the great winter of 1938-39 would ensure Nationalist China would still be alive for a while longer yet, and with a great lack of coastal provinces the IJN Marines’ usefulness would be blunted. The bulk of China still lay free and world attention was focusing more and more on the new horrors occurring here. How long Japan had before foreign pressure, tariffs, and orders would force the military leaders to see reason and halt this conflict, few could estimate…

Note: I literally flew through these three months on Very Fast, slowing time down for the couple of battles described above and stopping time whenever new research occurred. Plenty of goodies came about at this time and with so many more ICs gained I began to shift some of my resources toward construction. I knew within a couple of years I would be looking at conflict with the UK and her allies and I certainly wanted to be ready. I planned on putting defensive units on every island owned by Japan as well as every coastal region. More ships and planes were needed as well as another Marine Corps. The 2nd and the 4th couldn’t do all of the fighting after all! On that note, my goodness but the Marines are sure showing up their land-locked brethren, aren’t they?

Dropping in to tell you that your AAR is a great history on the war. HoI 1 is a tough place to do an AAR, mainly because it's lost a lot of readAARs but that doesn't mean you can't be making a gem in a pile of stones...

Dropping in to tell you that your AAR is a great history on the war. HoI 1 is a tough place to do an AAR, mainly because it's lost a lot of readAARs but that doesn't mean you can't be making a gem in a pile of stones...

*bows* Thank you kind sir. :D

Spring 1939

A quiet winter began to heat up into a more active spring with Germany pressing its claims on the province of Memel. Lithuania had little to consider in this matter as Germany had a strong military presence in Eastern Prussia. Little was actually gained by Germany in this new conquest other than removing a port town from the Lithuanian’s hands. Days later a brooding Stalin issued a directive for his staff to consider all claims on Memel to be relinquished. Fears began to build in Poland and thusly their leaders chose to have the mobilization of their army reservists begin in full force. The world held its breath and waited to see what ill wind these events would now bring, especially since hardly a year had passed since Hitler had pressed his claims on Austria. While the Austria consolidation had been viewed by foreign leaders as a necessary step to seeing Hitler ceasing his land-grabbing, this push into territory not historically linked with Germany proper would alarm many.

Days later, on the 28th of March, Hitler’s sometime friend to the south pushed his claim to King Zog of Albania. Considered by some to be a reasonable claim, nonetheless Albanians thought otherwise and refused the contentious offer from Mussolini. Accordingly, Italy declared war on Albania a tiny country with little to no standing army and within two weeks time successfully annexed the country. The immediate implications of this event would not be realized for quite some time, however the long-term benefits for Italy would be tremendous. Both Greece and Yugoslavia looked to this conflict with some trepidation and concern…

Tinian Island, Marianne Islands chain, Pacific Ocean, 6th of April, 1939

The sounds of industry, construction, and the ever present cacophony of birds yelling in reply as their nests were disturbed permeated around the small island. Almost 100 square kilometers of land was being developed for the Japanese war effort here and on neighboring Saipan Island and being overseen by the Japanese military. With little natural resources here (bat guano mostly) most workers had been puzzled as to the why and wherefore of the large amount of capital expended on making this spit of land so habitable. Until recently that is – the Combined Fleet had made its way here this week after spending roughly a year out to sea in operations around China and having more recently docked in Tokyo months ago to see their commander momentarily take over operations at the Imperial General Headquarters. Now, all the wondering and theories were dismissed as to the true reason why all this work had been going on. The island chain was going to be set up as a forward naval base of some serious import for the Japanese fleet.

Map_SaipanTinianAquijan_closer.gif

Anchored offshore for now as the port facilities still needed some overhauling, there was a brisk trade going on with the local inhabitants of San Jose with fishing boats ferrying sailors on leave back and forth to the islands and even providing support between vessels moving supplies and mail back and forth. With the airfields having been among the first projects completed there was now a stream of planes landing and taking off, dozens daily bringing in supplies, resources, engineers, and workers to upgrade and refit some of the ships. There was even a rumor that perhaps the Emperor would grace the island soon with his presence! With the warm days and pleasant nights of springtime work was progressing smoothly here and the project leaders were beginning to look toward erecting the defensive works that had been requested. For that tons of metal rebar would be needed, of which very little had arrived yet. Still, there seemed to be plenty of time before such structures would be tested or even needed and for now workers plied their trade in relative leisure, unhurried and able to enjoy the warm Pacific waters when work for the day was finished.

13th of April, 1939, Imperial General Headquarters

Cherry blossoms on the trees outside the newly renovated headquarters indicated the more pleasant conditions the Japanese nation enjoyed at this time and was reflected in the mood of the staff in the primary planning room. General Anami and his men did not have many reports to sift through over the last few months but lately all news received had been good. Scientists, researchers, and theorists were discovering and coming up with new ideas, procedures, and inventions very often with most centering on electrical devices like a portable Basic Signals Intercept Vehicle or Direction Finding Stations. An Improved Decimetric Radar system had been improved after trials in the China war exposed some flaws but also pointed out some good uses of the device. A Basic Electromechanical Encryption Device was developed and immediately rushed to the front headquarter units to tighten up their security in sending messages. Supply quartermasters were gratified when a method to Standardize Ammunition was developed as well as Industrial Pasteurization created. Both ensured these overworked men would be able to limit their stocks and supplies to what was immediately needed and little waste would happen. Airmen throughout the war indicated a method of bombing that some theorists had taken to call Blitz Bombing Doctrines that would be utilized for years to come.

Even the fact that two weeks ago was a report that China had received a great shipment of supplies from the Burma Road could not dampen the good spirits of Anami. The war was progressing well and now the focus had turned mostly to the interior with successful attacks on the Guiyang, Xiangfan, Zunyi, and just today the Kaiyuan provinces. The overall strategy at this point seemed destined to simply push the Chinese back without trying to create a noose from which an encirclement and eventual destruction of units could occur, but this method seemed to take into account the Chinese willingness to retreat rapidly from any conflict greater than a probing action. The recent actions took anywhere from a day to five days to fully complete and such rapidity in retreat by the Chinese forces meant very little chance to circle or flank them and cut off that path of escape.

More puzzling however were the reports from last month where a lone Chinese bomber unit had spent the better part of a couple days bombing Japanese frontline troops in Zunyi. Anami could not understand how or from where the Chinese could procure such a unit and so quickly. He presumed earlier this year that the Chinese industry was in shambles and would not be able to produce mechanized, aircraft, or other heavy units and instead would be concentrating on trying to field as many infantry units as possible. It was definite that the British supplied the Chinese forces with materiel needed in the war effort, but the bombers seen were of the Chinese variety, not the British types he had information on. Still, it would only be a matter of time before his anti-aircraft units or remaining aircraft in the area would hunt them and force them down. If anything it would provide his men with some more valuable experience for the battles to come…

…consideration by the Polish cabinet and talks with their military leaders, it was determined that Germany’s recent actions with Memel and now their renunciations of the Anglo-German Naval Treaty and the German-Polish Non-Aggression Pact indicated a position of aggression, but what to do exactly? The Poles had already started a mobilization of their armies but that was not expected to conclude until later in the year. Assessments from the front showed a lack of defensive fortifications, overall readiness of the military was abysmal, and leadership was lacking. Cavalry units were being led by officers best suited for defensive efforts, naval captains were found to be more in port entertaining their mistresses, and junior leaders sat in empty classrooms while teachers were off nursing a beer or three. This situation could not continue for long and unfortunately for the Polish nation it would not for much longer…

Interlude

The world was now perched on a precipice and one from which only disaster could be seen from. A good bit of news about the rescue of over half the crew of the USS Squalus that had gone down in the shallow waters around Isles of Shoals was eclipsed with all the doom and gloom. Japan at the end of May honored the agreement with Germany and shipped that country some hard to gather resources for their war industry. The Soviet leader seemed even crazier with an arrest of a devout Communist minister, accusing him to be a Japanese spy in early April. And the current maps of Europe were having to be redrawn yet again with the shifting of borders and conquests of belligerent nations. Time would tell if Hitler would finally back down from his seeming lust for territories or not. To be certain, Japan as an aggressor in China was seen by many to be the cause of ills in the Asian region, but most people could just not seem to care quite as much as they had for the Spanish Civil War. And with conflict there seeming to spout one Japanese victory after another it would only be a matter of time before the remaining third of China would be part of the new empire.

Note: Finally a light on the horizon…while I did not doubt that I would succeed in China it seemed like for some time that I wouldn’t finish the conquest soon enough. Strangely though, I was beginning to dread the eventual conquest of Communist China. Having tried to crack that defensive nut in other games as Japan I knew what to expect there…

Summer 1939

The warm days and cool nights of springtime began to make way to the warmer days of summer and in concert with nature busy at work making the world beautiful again the Japanese industry continued to roll on in its efforts. Ship launchings occurred monthly now with the cruisers Tone, Agano, and Noshiro being completed June, July, and August respectively. Mid September saw two dozen provinces report successful completion of their industrial retooling and upgrading projects. The Japanese war machine continued its unabated pace in China as well with another three provinces falling to the army’s might – Kumming, Mojiang, and Baoshan specifically. The Japanese at this point seemed unstoppable, regardless to the supplies Nationalist China would receive along their Burmese Road. Already newspapers in Japan and even in some corners of the world were proclaiming an eventual victory in China for Japan. However, Japan’s thunder would soon be stolen…

Nomonhan village Incident, 27th of June, 1939

The droning sound of the several dozens of planes from the Japanese 2nd Air Brigade sounded in the chilly hours of the early morning. Men strapped on their parachutes, fitted goggles on their soft flight helmets, and pilots made last-minute consultations of their flight orders. Among the planes heading out were two reconnaissance aircraft that were designated to record the bombing results from the main group. No fighters were to take part in this endeavor but as there were only a few dozen serviceable fighters in the Japanese Air Force arsenal (90% of all fighters were on Navy carriers) it had been decided that they were to be held in reserve in case the Russians chose to retaliate in like kind. The goal of this mission was the bombing and destruction of as many ground targets as possible at Tamsak-Bulak in Mongolia as a form of punishment for the destruction of Lt Col Yaozo Azuma’s forces this time last month by the Mongolian and Russian forces across the border. With over 60% casualties it had, up to this point in the Asian conflicts, been the most costly military encounter for a Japanese unit.

The lead planes began to taxi to their positions on the runway within ten minutes and one by one the forty or so bombers took to the morning sky. Emperor willing all would return later in the afternoon with plenty of stories of heroism to tell their comrades on the ground.

USMC-C-Wake-8.gif

Flying over the Russian air base the lead plane began to drop its stick of bombs on the target rich environment below. The Japanese had achieved near total surprise on the Russians and were taking complete advantage of the situation. Anti-aircraft fire however was extraordinarily fierce and several of the bombers had already succumbed to the effects of such devastating fire. Navigator Yunshei plotted an up to date return path for the remnants of the Air Brigade, taking in account the pilot’s maneuvers and the occasional shifting of the plane as an anti-aircraft shell burst close to the craft. The plane was already peppered with holes as shells and rounds from the enemy below though the craft showed no ill effects from such rough treatment. Another round slammed into the plane just over Yunshei’s head and impacted into a portion of the aircraft’s skeleton. Whispering thanks to whatever gods were watching over him finished up his work and reported to the pilot the heading they would need to take in order to arrive home safely. Hopefully the Kwangtung Army leaders would accept the loss of ten bombers as a fair price for the destruction of over two dozen enemy fighters and bombers on the ground along with rendering the Russian airfield unusable for some time.

30th of July, 1939, Imperial General Headquarters

Summer had firmly arrived in Tokyo and the air inside the well-apportioned war room was somewhat stifling. A small breeze was generated by newly installed ceiling fans but the oppressive heat outside was still felt by those working busily inside. General Anami, his staff, and other senior leaders were furiously discussing the import of the recent Soviet offensive at Khalkin Ghol. “I know talk years before centered around a North First policy but this” Anami pointed to the map in front of them on the table, “is precisely the reason why I pushed for the Chinese and Southern programs. The Russians are too strong for us at this time unless we pull units from the Chinese lines to deal with them.”
“That would be unacceptable General” spoke one of the senior leaders from the Chinese Army Headquarters Group. “We have the Chinese on the run and expect to see overall success in the campaign achieved soon.”
“And I concur in that assessment – it would be a waste of effort on our parts if we shifted forces from there to the northern front, not even taking into account the weeks of preparation before such could be done. We just do not have the redeployment capability to move a great portion of our army.”
“General Anami, it may be in our best interests then to look for any signs the Russians do not wish to force the issue here and widen this border conflict into anything greater.”
Anami nodded grimly, “I agree. If this new Russian leader, Zhukov puts forth agreeable terms to end this conflict, take it. We need to ensure our northern flank is secured before we progress any further with our plans. And gentlemen, “ Anami glared around at the senior leaders assembled before him, “next time you wish to bomb Russian forces in their territories you must receive permission from Imperial headquarters first. The Kwangtung Army does not run this war!”
Contritely all the leaders nodded or murmured their assent.

…started innocently enough though later it would be obvious the event was of German manufacture. A German radio station was briefly taken over by some Polish extremists and their demands aired for all to hear. Shots at a border crossing were fired and in the end a dozen Polish “commandos” were killed. Hitler and his cronies demanded Poland give up copious amounts of territory in response to this outrage, starting with the port city of Danzig and threats of more specifics to come. Polish leaders took all of five minutes to deliberate among themselves before refusing. War in Europe had started again, much to the consternation of both Belgium and the Netherlands. This time though, it was yet to be considered a “world war” as a year before Poland extricated themselves from the treaties they had signed with Britain and France. As such the rest of Europe tended to view this initially as a German-Polish issue and stayed out of the conflict. Within a week though, several countries realized this was not a mere conflict but all-out war. Norway, Sweden, France, and Denmark all started passing resolutions that would enable their leaders to react more swiftly to the changing times with France taking a more active step in deciding to start rearming. Romania began to secretly mobilize their armies and air force and put their naval units on a higher alert status, though to what end would yet be seen. In mid September the Hungarian leadership saw which way the winds were blowing and threw their hat into the German’s ring, thus creating what would be known as the Axis powers.

battle_molotovribbentrop2.jpg

It would take only a matter of months to reveal to the world what had transpired between Germany and Russia a week earlier in the Border Crossing Incident on August 30th. The German master diplomat Ribbentrop met with his Russian counterpart Molotov and set up a Pact determining the partition of a defeated Poland. Germany would get regions east of Warsaw and drawing a line north to south from there, all territories west of the imaginary line, with provinces adjacent to Germany being directly annexed and the rest being governed by a government set up by Germany. The Soviets would receive the rest of Poland along with assurances that Germany saw the Baltic States as Russian territory along with Finland. This would provide the Germans with great opportunity (as would be seen in the coming year) to keep their attentions to the west once Poland was taken care of, and allow the Russians a chance to expand their territories back and even beyond were they were before the Great War. Regardless, the world held its breath yet again…

Interlude

Fighting had finally tapered off in early August and a few days later the Japanese Kwangtung Headquarters deliberated in determining if additional Prepared Defenses would be necessary for the Soviet forces. Weighing the costs versus the perceived benefits the plans were shelved, for now though work had been ongoing over the last few years in land fortifications on the front as well as in-depth from the point of Russian attacks. Attention returned to the Chinese conflict as the Nationalists received yet more supplies along the Burma Road. This could not last for much longer and new plans were drawn up to press the attacks in south-western China in hopes of shutting off this pipeline. With all coastal provinces having been taken the 2nd and 4th Marine Corps were used largely in assisting Japanese forces in retaking provinces lost to the Communist uprisings, retaking and putting in more loyal provincial rulers. These battle-hardened units were quite successful in flushing out and combating the Communist Chinese forces and many medals were given out for individual acts of heroism or battle.

In Scientific news, during the summer researchers, theorists, and scientists performed wonders and created a plethora of items and doctrines. For the Air Force new design specifications for a Basic Close Support Plane and a Basic Naval Bomber, looking at upgrading the current model on the latter. For the Navy, Advanced Shipbuilding and a new Armored Flight Deck Fleet Carrier design would give Yamamoto grand dreams for the immediate future. For the Army, Tracked Utility Vehicles would help bring ammunition and supplies to units quicker and more efficiently along with the new Motorized Artillery Carriers. A new 85mm Field Artillery Gun would be sure to cause greater havoc among the enemy and new methods to provide Combat Medical Services could patch up wounded soldiers quicker getting them back to the front lines. New Synthetic Rubber Plants were developed in early July, giving the hard pressed industrialists something to cheer about back home as resources were becoming stretched due to the ongoing war in China. Something soon would have to be done about the great lack of needed rubber and oil.

Note: And thus begins what I consider the most exciting part of the World War 2 and HOI in general: the German attack on Poland. Playing through dozens of games I can state that whenever Germany chooses to back down on attacking Poland my heart sinks, though truthfully those types of games can be among the more exciting. My readers may notice a distinct lack of in-game screenshots lately and sadly this will continue until my Winter 1942-1943 post as I rarely at this point onward took any sort of screenshots. Hopefully people can use their imaginations in these instances. :p And I’ll ensure to fill the gap now and then by grabbing photos from the Internet and interweaving them with my AAR.

Still following avidly and enjoying your writing ,really nice AAr style.

doc.gif

• 1Like
Reactions:
Fall 1939

The sounds of battle still resounded throughout mid- and western portions of China however extensive operations were not being conducted by the Japanese. A great portion of their logistical chain was being stretched thin by how far they had penetrated Chinese defenses and as a result maneuvers and movement were often directed solely at a specific destination. The Chinese were in full flight anyway so very little hunting was needing to be performed. It was an opposite affair with the Communist Chinese though, more and more provinces were seeing opportunistic warlords seizing power from ineffectual garrisons and governors. Due to their rapid advances and great territory to control the Japanese were forced to use local figures that proved amenable to foreign rule but often meant they were quick to switch allegiances or be unable to put down simple insurrections. As a result of this, the military was forced to utilize the Japanese 2nd Marine Corps in anti-insurgency missions all throughout the Chinese rear provinces. They were excellently suited for this, having been schooled in methods that enabled their successes previously in combat landings from sea. This was far easier and almost as rewarding for them.

Still, each time the Communists took over a province there was the risk they would capture a supply convoy or receive equipment that had been given to provincial garrisons for its protection. Early December the Chinese had such an early present from the Japanese when they seized power in Fuxin and found a literal treasure trove of upgraded equipment that had been destined to the front lines. Equipping themselves with the improved sub machineguns, rifles, and assault guns these Communists became a force to be reckoned with for some time to come. A consequence of this action would be immediately seen with a law that enacted a National Service Draft Ordinance on the Japanese peoples. Where previously large numbers of civilians volunteered their services to the military, this ordinance ensured that a surge of men would be inducted into the military immediately. This made many people unhappy and even with a series of nationally syndicated television stations appearing (one for news, another for the anime, and a third for culture) it would be many months before the public would forgive.

Poland, 7th of November, 1939

There were not as many pictures taken during the short battle for Poland as the Spanish Civil War, though indeed the time frame taken to capture the country may have had something to do with it. The few photos that made it to audiences outside Germany and Poland proper were made to show the great military might of Germany and the rapidity of which they conquered a former mighty power. The entire war lasted a mere two months with a few German casualties compared to the tens of thousands of Polish military men and civilians. The relatively bloodless war (compared to the Great War twenty years ago) showed many great improvements in the theatre of war, among them a combined arms doctrine with ground troops, mechanized, and air units all being used to great effect together. The Poles’ reliance on older methods of defense, namely fortifications, trenches, and for mobility several units of cavalry proved their undoing. Within days their modest air force was a shambles, within two weeks the Germans had driven nearly a third of the way into Poland capturing all within their wake. The Polish leaders, when their capital was taken in two days and over ninety percent of their country in German hands, saw reason and authorized the military leaders to press for peace, whilst themselves they fled the country, along with thousands of military men.

It was the next day after German leaders finalized the peace and began the system of consolidating their control and annexed Poland that the world saw what had happened in private between the German and Russian leaders. The Soviet Union split a good third of Poland with Germany and promptly rushed in, disarming any and all Polish defenders they came across. Their true nature now exposed many Western leaders would look to the Russians with suspicion and dispersion for years to come.

The act of war in Poland also spurred several nations to prepare themselves for a potential conflict. Yugoslavia in October began to mobilize their military, the non aggression pact with Germany not withstanding. They had no desire to become the next Poland any time soon. In December Finland as well began its mobilization, especially in light of movement seen across the border they shared with the Soviet Union. After discovering that Germany would essentially be leaving the tiny northern nation on its own it had been determined that a re-examination of their defenses was in order and thus General Mannerheim ordered great defensive works be erected on the southern and southeastern border with Russia. This would, it was reasoned, be hopefully enough of a deterrent to keep Russians on their side of the pond…

23rd of December, 1939, Imperial General Headquarters

Over the last few months the researchers, scientists, and military theorists had been busy and their recent works certainly showed. New systems to improve radar and target acquisition culminated in a Resonance Magnetron, a Moving Target Indicator, and an Improved Decimetric Radar Warning Site – the latter having been hurriedly shipped out to China and in no small part helping in reducing the bombings the Japanese troops had suffered under. Improved Rifle Tests were beginning to bear fruit and eventually newer, more accurate, and dependable rifles would be designed. In addition, Punch Cards were invented to be used in the first computational devices to better assist researchers in the future. All this would greatly improve the Japanese military prospects.

General Anami looked over the rest of the reports, among them indicating a completion of the new battle-cruiser Chikuma.

HIJMS_Chikuma.jpg

This mighty ship, along with three new air wings for the carriers being built would improve Yamamoto’s mood for certain, Anami thought. Of late he had been getting rather moody, with reports coming in of new British cruisers and even a carrier rolling out of the dockyards in England. Personally, Anami could scarcely care less about the British naval might…his concern was with land conflicts naturally, but he could see where the Admiral was rightly worried. Still, if all went well war in South-East Asia would be a while coming and in the meantime there was the matter of a little conflict in China to resolve.

…British builds apparently spurred the Germans into a likewise frenzy of naval construction. Over the course of three years the Germans would pick up, disband, start up again, and give up many times a course of construction that would have them try to challenge the British on the seas. It is for this very singular reason that events in 1943 would turn out how they did, but then I am getting ahead of myself. For the moment Hitler envisioned himself as some Marshall of the Seas and often desired seeing great ships of his own being built. This thinking would force the Kriegsmarine into two conflicting paths, one put forth by Donitz that submarines would be the main cause of England’s defeat and the other put forth by various naval surface leaders that great battleships and cruisers should be built. All of the resources thrown and disbanded time and again by Hitler would prove their undoing, at least on the waves. However, it would be terribly lonely on the waters for England for many years to come…

Interlude

The Japanese civilians were beginning to see an end in sight to the Chinese conflict…months were estimated to remain before the armies could safely say the once great and ancient nation of China was pacified. Many hoped that their menfolk would soon be able to return home after the conflict, but none knew the thoughts and machinations of the Japanese military command. It would be a couple years before all would be revealed to the world, but for now thoughts began to turn to holiday celebrations in the hearts of the soldier on the battlefield and the civilians back home. Japan every day was showing the world that they meant to be a world power and seriously considered as one. As the leaves fell off the trees, the birds sought new sanctuary in warmer climes, and winter’s presence began to be felt, people throughout the world began to realize that the world they once knew was changing, and not always for the better…

Note: I usually conquer Poland in just about a month so it surprised me that Germany took nearly twice that, but then I go straight for all the victory locations, the AI tends to make attacks in methods that don’t always make sense. This was also one of the few games I had seen where Russia did nothing to Finland, which I suppose emboldened the tiny nation a bit too much to their consternation later. Well, that’s several years to go yet.

Last edited:
Winter 1939-1940

Snows were falling fast upon the world in many areas where conflict future and present prevailed. In China the snow hindered but did not stop operations as the High Command determined that now was the time to push the Chinese deeper into their remaining provinces. The public was beginning to weary of the long war and many wrote in to editors of the newspapers or the government television shows. Their voices were being heard and thusly the army was emboldened to great daring feats. The weather though kept the air force grounded most of the time so the machinists and engineers took the opportunity to perform much needed maintenance and upgrades. The navy was likewise inactive, much to Admiral Yamamoto’s dismay.

In Europe the snows and rainy weather meant a cessation in hostilities, albeit temporarily. Still, Germany found reason to officially declare war on Norway mid-February as a means to keep a British presence out of their back door. This event would set in motion a series of events as nations that previously thought they were exempt from action began to reassess and revise their plans. Italy began their preparations for war in Europe, perhaps in anticipation of Germany heading south, regardless of the Pact of Steel. South Africa and New Zealand began to realize that mere words were not going to suffice as their leaders deliberated over what level of military assistance they needed to give to The Crown. Australia saw zealous volunteers flock to the colors as thousands upon thousands of adventurous men signed up for battle. In North America, Canada too saw the outbreak of war as being far reaching and thus began some extensive coastal defensive reinforcements. America too saw a German-Norwegian war as something more than two Nordic nations going at it. With Germany making threats closer to Britain, Congress acted (somewhat) by relaxing the Neutrality Act and allowed industrialists to sell weapons and supplies to belligerents.

Thanks to Berlin’s and Tokyo’s ambitions, winter this year meant more misery for a world beginning to recover from the devastating effects of the Great Depression many years earlier. It would not be the last sorrowful and dark winter to be experienced for millions and millions of the World’s inhabitants…

14th of January, 1940, Hiroshima city, Japan

Miye Yamasaki had arrived back to her modest apartment after visiting the store and postal office and began putting her few groceries away in the cupboard. Sugar and tea were fast becoming a scarcity with the rationing occurring in the homeland but few people complained. All knew their duty was to ensure the success and eventual safe return of their fighting men over in China and if a few luxuries could be skipped so their men overseas could enjoy some small comforts of home in the field. Besides, rice cakes were fast becoming the latest trend to sweep the nation with a new cooking show on television espousing its virtues as well as how to make them more enjoyable for dining on.

As Miye finished putting her food away in their proper places she took time to look thru her couple of letters she had gotten. Her heart stopped briefly when she saw, under a letter from her parents was one addressed from Tamura Yoshikazu apparently now deeply embroiled in the fighting in China, according to the condition of the envelope and contents of the letter therein. Taking a shaking breath she opened the envelope and read,

“Who would guess I harbour such a feeling towards you in this faraway land in the Chinese empire. It has been over a year since we met. You were just a younger sister of my friend, but I don’t know why I just cannot forget about you. I did not have a chance to write to you and I never sent you a letter expressing my feelings, as I thought it would not be appropriate.

My heart hurts when I am alone and I think about home. I know that it is impossible to seek your heart, but I still cannot get rid of this feeling.

You could well be a married woman by now. I am envious of your husband. Heaven does not know the feeling of the man who wishes for your happiness.”

Tears had begun to well up in Miye’s eyes as she read thru the short letter and as she finished the last sentence, the paper was marred by an escapee from her eyes. Clutching the cherished missive tight to her chest she sank into a nearby chair in order to gather her tumultuous thoughts. She then began composing a reply letter to the lonely soldier she remembered so well from last year when her brother and this dashing man met her while they were on leave.

24th of February, 1940, Chengdu province, China

The rain was fortunately rather light so as not to adversely affect Corporal Li Zongren’s unit, but still provide enough gloom to hamper visibility for the Chinese defenders. Of course, it went both ways so the attacking force had fitted bayonets to their rifles in anticipation of a close assault. It had been two days ago when operations began in this province and the fighting was especially heavy here. Zongren’s leaders were puzzled at the stout defense the Chinese mounted here where previously in Wudu province a short five hour battle pushed the defenders into a quick rout. Even in Xi’an province while it took three days to completely mop up all the defending forces, the main battle took all of half a day of fighting. Here though, Li and his friends privately thought to themselves that perhaps the Chinese had finally found their backbone, though it perhaps might have to do with the fact that finally the Japanese invaders had performed their first encirclement of the war and had trapped over twenty-two divisions in this cauldron. A similar battle was occurring in the neighboring province of Chongqing but there were fewer forces involved in the defense there.

The call to attack was finally sounded and Li along with his comrades erupted out of their foxholes, trenches, and makeshift bunkers to charge the enemy. Machinegun fire chattered from his left as the Japanese crews provided covering fire for the assault. A couple mortar and light artillery shells exploded among the attackers as the Nationalist Chinese began their part in attempting to halt the inexorable advance of the Empire, but only a few men were flung in the air or stopped in their tracks before their guns stopped firing due to lack of ammunition. With the Burmese Road having been cut off finally months ago, the effects of lack of supply were now being felt. With a roar Li and the men around him redoubled their efforts through the wet and sloppy terrain and within seconds (seeming like minutes as rifle and machine gun fire erupted along the Chinese line) the unit reached the defenders. A yell followed by a downward stab of his bayoneted rifle as taught years ago by his excellent trainers in Korea resulted in a dead soldier at Li’s feet, not his first and Emperor willing soon his last.

25th of February, 1940, Tai'erzhuang city, Chengdu province, China

LiZongrenpic.jpg

Outside the local city rail station, Li posed for a picture to his family back home. Smiling, he reveled in the cheers and adulations of his friends and comrades as they celebrated another victory for the Emperor as well as yet another day they were alive. The fighting in Chengdu would not be over for another few more days as retreating elements of the Chinese from the neighboring province would stream in, but they too would be eliminated. Over twenty five divisions would be destroyed in a matter of a week and with this the end of the war in China would soon be at hand.

27th of February, 1940, Imperial General Headquarters, Tokyo, Japan

A break in the wintry weather of late gave General Anami and his staff an excuse to enjoy some warmer temperatures and bright sunshine outside in the atrium adjoining the war room. Having been completed last year, but too late to properly enjoy it, let alone dedicate to the Emperor, Anami had declared that his briefing today would be held there, especially in light of all the recent victories in China. Only a few northwestern provinces remained in Nationalist hands, as well as the couple of Communist mountain provinces that they had held since the start of hostilities. Anami had been reassured though by his advisors that the Chinese were thoroughly broken and a slight push would be all that was needed to end the conflict once and for all. Plans had been drafted up detailing how the country would be administered. It was determined that the Chinese peoples would be more receptive to their new lords if little pressure and few garrison troops were applied in the country. This suited Anami well as he needed every last man for the coming conflicts he foresaw in the years to come.

“The opening of the Hitachi works in Katsuta along with the two dozen provinces reporting completion of industrial improvements certainly means our plans next year will have the support they will need” one of Anami’s aides spoke.
“Indeed, though the industrial works projects are still not finished. Many provinces still are not at the minimum levels of industry we need them all to be at. That and the defensive works throughout our Empire will put a damper on any benefits we will see for several years. Still, this is good news” replied the general.

Looking over the reports further, Anami noted that all branches of the military were enjoying successes in research this winter. The Army saw finally good results from the recent clashes with the Soviets in the summer and a new Combined Arms Warfare Doctrine had been developed. This along with advances in medicines like Penicillin, DDT, and Mepacrine meant the fighting men on the ground wouldn’t suffer quite as much from the effects of fighting in a jungle environment. While many of its benefits wouldn’t be felt yet, Anami knew what conflicts loomed on the horizon and where they would be fought. He intended to ensure his men would be capable of war.

The Air Force had plenty of experiments in rocketry going on with Small Rocket Flight Tests and a special Liquid Rocket Fuel being developed for future use. In conjunction with a new Jet Engine Design the armed forces of the air obviously meant to use cutting-edge technology to gain an advantage on the world. Theorists had also expounded on some Early War Fighter Improvements that if explored fully could mean some of the more technologically advanced fighter craft in the world.

Yamamoto’s navy certainly wasn’t left out of the scientific bonanza as Early War Submarine Technology and a Miniature Steam Engine coupled together would mean definite improvements to the underwater forces. The battles in the Shanghai Sea gave theorists some Early War Naval Experience Doctrines that should prove quite useful against the more advanced navies of the world. The crème de la crème though was the development of plans for a Treaty Battleship that in its design essence followed the rules of the naval treaties following the Great War. With advances in engine and boiler technology this meant the Japanese shipyards could, if Yamamoto ordered it build a ship that fell in line with the treaties, thus not causing great alarm among the Americans, but yet be able to steam at speeds equaling the modern cruisers and carrier already in the fleet.

With great glee Anami ordered a round of sake drinks for his aides in order to ward off the coming chill of the evening. Yes, the new year of 1940 boded nothing but good tidings for the Japanese Empire!

…floods affected the nation greatly and it was nearly three weeks before the waters receded in Darwin. This did little to dampen the enthusiasm of the thousands upon thousands of men yearning for adventure in Europe or those with a sense of patriotism to help out mother England once yet again. The conditions in America at this time though were of a different issue. While Congress had relaxed the Neutrality Act restrictions (which this author feels did nothing but greatly hamper and even harm many nation’s ability to withstand the German juggernaut) there were two sections of the American public that pushed the US further back into its shell, or more properly its head back into the sand. Mind, the United Kingdom was fully mobilizing its Empire as South Africa, New Zealand, Canada, and now Australia were flocking to fight the Krauts. Across the Atlantic pond these two sections of diametrically opposing values ensured America’s non-involvement for many years to come and even induced the Japanese into its strategy of Asia First.

The first was the Communist Party – a small group to be sure, but vocal enough that their urgings of Isolationism would be heard by many, and plenty of those recipients of their propaganda being reminded of the costs of great war decades before listened and heeded them. This though would normally not have been enough to keep American politics deeply centered in isolation and if it were not for the devices of one of the most popular men in North America this author’s book may have had a different title, let alone a happier story to tell. Famed aviator Charles Lindberg and his America First Committee was formed around this time and pushed their own agenda of keeping the US out of any European conflicts, let alone a losing battle in China. Sadly for many years to come this party was most influential and quite able at keeping the US involvement in the Pacific and European wars to a minimum…

Interlude

Japan’s conquest of China would soon be finalized, all that remained were a few provinces, one of which contained the Nationalists temporary capital. Once they were swept away surely the Communist thorn in Japan’s side would be next and the question was simply how quickly the Empire could consolidate their conquests. After that, who knew which direction Japan’s attention would go to? The Soviet Union was certainly a viable suspect – the majority of the Japanese army was within a couple months’ worth of redeployment to their shared border, not to mention if Sianking was removed as well, there would be a soft and inviting hole to the Russian empire. A lack of industrial supplies like oil and rubber though, indicated a move to the south which in turn meant a declaration of war on France. Time would tell but for now the victorious Japanese were racing throughout the Chinese western countryside as fast as the rain and snow filled land let them.

Germany had few friends in this new European war but the conquest of Poland showed the world they didn’t need many on their side. Still, Hungary had joined themselves to Hitler’s side early on and in early March Bulgaria complemented the pair, making this war eerily similar to the allies in the First World War. How many more nations would throw their weight in with the so-called Axis’ fortunes remained to be seen. Equally mysterious was the final composition of the Allies, though for now it consisted of Norway, the United Kingdom, France, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa, Belgium, Oman, Yemen, Lebanon, and Syria. Impressive to be sure, arrayed against the Germans, but most of these nations were far away or could give only limited support. For now it would be England, France, and Belgium that would bear the full brunt of the Wehrmacht…

Note: Ah, nothing like a good conquering to get one’s blood flowing! The Chinese war was certainly taking its time, though looking through my notes and reading these AAR posts I’m somewhat saddened to see it so quickly over with. Plenty of provincial battles proved quite exciting and as being a long-time German player already, very enjoyable. Finally though the Chinese would be ripe for annexation, though I had toyed briefly with the idea of puppeting them, but in the end discarded that idea. My reasoning was that perhaps a China able to defend itself meant I could deploy my manpower elsewhere of greater importance. Regardless, I breathed a bit easier around this time as I knew I could easily deploy in time for action in the south…once the Communists were taken care of.

For those curious about the letter, I got that from this site and just modified aspects of it. The letter is real, though written from Palau not China. While I revel in the successes of the Allies in World War Two, I can’t help but be curious as to the thoughts, feelings, and dreams of those they fought. Its easy to paint the Axis with the paintbrush of a monster, and in some cases its quite appropriate, but for the most part the Axis soldier was quite similar to their counterpart they combated. Oh, and sorry for getting so sappy with that letter but I kind of wanted to put a more human face on the activities of my Japanese units for a change.

Last edited:
Spring 1940

Spring usually meant times of renewal or rebirth but it looked like a time of death and ending for the Nationalist Chinese nation. The noose was tightening on their figurative necks (and perhaps not so figuratively in the end) and the recent loss of nearly one-third of their army pushed many into fits of despair. Desertion was rife among both the leaders and rank and file soldiers. Thousands put on the peasant or farmer’s garb of the province they were in, with hundred melting into the hilly countryside. Most of the Chinese well-taught and led soldiers under German tutelage had performed well, but due to Japanese pressures early in the war Berlin had pulled their advisors back. Most of these experienced men were of the original force that repelled the Japanese armored units in the early weeks of the war. Since then though most of the army had suffered great losses when the Huayuankow Dike was demolished. At the time it was considered a necessary evil in order to slow the Japanese advance and give the defenders time to regroup, but in retrospect such an action meant a loss China could ill afford.

With the urgings of politicians back home thanks to an outcry of Japanese citizens to see a quick resolution to the war, the military leaders pushed their men harder and stripped provinces of garrison troops in order to throw all they had at the few Chinese defenders remaining. This would have immediate consequences…

9th of May, 1940, Lanzhou province, China

General Kawabe looked over the battle map one last time though he knew the area this action would take place in well enough already. Reconnaissance flights provided enough information that he knew all he faced in the Nationalist Chinese headquarters was a simple infantry force of six divisions. There were over forty Japanese divisions with nine of those his personal army units ready to advance on the Chinese. The coming battle would be more of a slaughter, but one that many in the leadership hierarchy thought was justified. After spending a miserable three years of conflict in this land Kawabe was quite ready to see it all end. For now though, he like his counterparts knew that this would not be the final battle in China. That would be when all available armed might would smash into the Communist strongholds and finally put an end to this madness of insurrection in the Empire’s formally controlled Chinese provinces. Three fell in the month of March alone, keeping the 2nd Marine Corps very busy rushing from province to province, with help of their naval transports putting down these rebellions and hunting the elusive Communists.

Looking up to his adjutants Kawabe gave the order for battle to commence at 0900 hours. Thousands of artillery pieces, hundreds of tanks, dozens upon dozens of planes roared overhead, and the hearts of nearly half a million men marched to face their enemy. Within hours a ceasefire was arranged as the overmatched Nationalists realized the end was upon them.

26th of May, 1940, Nagoya shipyards, Japan

ship_hiei10.jpg

The great Kongo-class battleship Hiei (realistically more of a battle cruiser due to its gun size) steamed toward the northeast, heading for Tokyo harbor. It was destined to be joined with more modern ships soon, particularly the new carrier Zuiho. Neither ship would be considered true to their class, Zuiho was a refitted cruiser to become a carrier and the Hiei was a World War One era battleship that had gone through some extensive refitting, but both would be the lynchpins to a new task force slowly forming up. A secret project was underway in the shipyards, a massive vessel that already dwarfed anything on the seas. The Japanese naval might was growing slowly but someday soon would be greatly feared…

27th of May, 1940, Imperial General Headquarters, Tokyo, Japan

Jubilation spilled out in the streets still even two weeks after the Japanese formally accepted the Nationalist Chinese surrender and declared that conflict at an end. Wisely General Anami withheld his celebrations as he knew a hard test of the military would be soon coming as the Communist Chinese forces would need to be defeated next. Having penned orders for the armored forces to head west toward Sinkiang and proceed with operations there, Anami had given orders for a defensive cordon to be established around the two Communist holdout provinces. He did not want any of the enemy slipping through and causing as much havoc as he saw this March past.

There was some more good news to be read as scientists had worked out a way to provide Blood Transfusions and ensure wounded men would survive to fight another day. In addition, theorists had developed and refined an Early War Aerial Experience Analysis thanks to their three years of data pored over. Bombing campaigns in the future would hopefully see better results thanks to this research.

“So the Nationalists had another supply shipment coming along the Burma Road even at the end?” Anami asked.
“Yes sir, apparently the British thought that one quick resupply would help prop up the military a little bit longer. We proved them wrong within weeks, of course.”
Anami smiled, “Yes I imagine it was a glorious victory at the end and one I wish I could have still seen. We will have to see May 10th created as a holiday of some sort to properly honor the many who gave their lives to the glory of Japan.”

…while the US played at war with Hollywood showing movies depicting War Abroad, the much real war in western Europe had been going poorly. The German war machine on May 14th engulfed all of Belgium, forcing the government to move their capital to Leopoldville. In a fit of cowardice, King Leopold order his countrymen throughout the world to surrender a week letter but the Belgians showed their mettle and ignored his command, taking the fight however and wherever they could. Britain promptly moved troops and support personnel into former Belgian colonies throughout Africa and elsewhere in order to stiffen their spine and prevent Hitler from gaining resources he needed so desperately. A terrible result of the swift one month campaign in Belgium was the demoralization of the French army once the Belgian capital was relocated. France truly felt alone at this time, as they had little more than words for assistance from the British, the Dutch repeatedly refused to enter the conflict, and the Germans seemed unstoppable. As many know the circumstances in Europe would only get worse …

Interlude

Japan remembered the excesses in the early conflict in China that had the American hackles rising and in an attempt to avoid that again, Japanese leaders went to establish minimal garrisons in key cities with their occupation policy. In the short term one would presume this a mistake, but in light of German policies years later and the final result of keeping America out of the war as long as possible an observer would deduce the Japanese leaders of excellent reasoning. Realistically this was the result of a series of misunderstandings by military and civilian leaders throughout the Chinese conflict to its end. Many in the military wanted to see a strong presence throughout all of the country and prevent the uprisings that occurred dozens of times in the three years plus of war. Others in the military (those with some knowledge of what the future would bring) wanted as minimal a military presence as possible, using as many local converts as possible. Civilian leaders wanted something between, a more balanced approach that would see more resources flowing to Japan and even some military recruits.

The end result was what seemed at first blush to be what the minority of military leaders wanted but realistically was a modification of the civilian leaders’ policy. Japan would see nearly a dozen divisions spread out to garrison all the coastal provinces and another dozen split into regiment or battalion sized units to keep the populace in cities under control. This would actually work to the Japanese best interests, even if it were not immediately apparent.

As spring slipped away into the warmer climes of summer the world’s focus was centered on the conflict in Europe and this would help sway the Japanese military into continuing their operations as they saw fit…

Note: Spring ’40 seems to be the earliest I can ever take out China, though I’m certain more enterprising readers could do better. It probably would’ve been in my better interest to take on Communist China earlier and in fact I’ve seen AI Japan do so rarely. It would seem to remove a great thorn in Japan’s side (the Communist province take over events) and even give a Japanese commander more strategic options in prosecuting the war. Still, over and done with and now the majority of my army heads to take on the Communists, with a small contingent of armor and infantry to head to Sinkiang.

I realized I need more pictures of the dashing Japanese fleet! :rofl:

Good luck with that....they were VERY protective of their ships during the inter-war period...and then there aren't any AFTER war pictures...are there...

Sad, really...but there it is.

TheExecuter

Summer 1940

Conflict in China was winding down as word spread throughout the land that the Nationalist leadership had effectively given up the fight. Some pockets of resistance would be found in some provinces but these were quickly dealt with local garrison troops, the 2nd Marine Corps, and those Chinese who exhibited a great loyalty to the Japanese Empire. The Communist Chinese still stirred up trouble, this time in three provinces during the summer – Xiangfan, Huinan, and Wuhan. For the most part though, any Communist forces that appeared would install a new governor and then simply melt back into the countryside. Orders had come down from the Communist leadership that all available troops were needed for the coming fight as it looked more and more definitive that Japan’s attention would now be centering on the last strongholds in central China. Indeed, General Anami and the High Command in China had begun a redeployment or forces, ringing around the Communists holdouts, with a majority of forces located more to the south. It was apparent where the Japanese intended to strike now.

19th of July, 1940, Imperial General Headquarters

The heady weeks following the surrender of the Nationalist Chinese had given way to a determination by the general’s staff to completely end the wars in China and allow their men time to recuperate and enjoy some leave back home. As such many maneuverings were ordered to perform a complete encirclement of the main Communist Chinese holdings and to prepare a movement into the more southern province. The armor forces were dispatched straight west toward Sinkiang, as their usefulness in the mountains would be highly questionable. In keeping with the combined forces doctrine espoused the whole year was a small infantry corps consisting of three divisions. These two forces would serve as the backbone for an invasion of Sinkiang and would hopefully provide enough to eliminate this rear threat. Diplomatic messages had been sent to the leaders but all had been rebuffed.

Looking over his reports General Anami was pleased to see the culmination of scientific endeavors create Improved Electromechanical Computers. While of little immediate benefit to the Armed Forces, the long term strategy of giving researchers and scientists better tools to perform their work was paying off. This new device would help make future scientific work quicker and more efficiently. This in addition to a Resonance Magnetron Device would be of great help. The Navy was certainly seeing the benefits – theorists espoused new Improved Naval Aviation doctrines. Engineers had developed an Improved Marine Engineering and some Basic Marine Electronics. Development in Lighter Than Air Craft also meant better intelligence and forewarning for the fleets at sea. Touching on intelligence, an Early Intelligence establishment had been created, the more better to spy on Japan’s potential enemies.

Anami knew though, that all the wonderful inventions, theories, and doctrines would do little to put fuel in the vessels, trucks, and tanks in the Armed Forces. Two weeks ago the US had another Import and Export deal that seemed to him (and many others) to be a form of punishment for Japan’s conquering of China. If oil and other raw resources were not gained soon, the few resources captured when the Nationalists surrendered would soon be exhausted and the nation’s stockpile would soon follow. Hopefully the Communists had an ample supply…

1st of August, 1940, Hiroshima province shipyards, Japan

ship_musashi2.jpg

The sister battleships Musashi and Shinano had been finished merely a few weeks before, but the Amagi class battle cruisers had already finished their shakedown trials and were anchored off the eastern coast of Japan, near Tokyo harbor. They were awaiting the completion of the Shokaku class carrier Zuiho which was expected to be done later this afternoon. With the late morning sun beating down heavily on the crew, most of whom where shirtless and enjoying the rays of sunshine, the day was turning out to be a most momentous occasion for the Imperial Japanese Navy. The size of their naval force was growing by leaps and bounds and by all appearances Japan’s only true rival to control of the seas would be the United Kingdom. In reality, the fact Japan’s ships were often larger, more modern, and sported larger armament then their British counterparts meant the Japanese certainly could claim Ruler of the Pacific. The Soviet Union had a small navy that could barely challenge one of Japan’s fleets and the United States fielded a small Pacific force, more for show than anything else.

Shokaku.jpg

Hours later and with a great cheer along the shore and docks the mighty Zuiho was finally launched to join her larger brethren. The intent was for all three ships to practice maneuvers over the course of the next few months, while weather was still good in the northern Pacific. They would be later joined by a small fleet of cruisers and destroyers and would proceed to their operational zone, giving their crews and captains the experience they would soon need to be able to work jointly against naval opponents. All three ships would later be dispersed among the fleet however, as there were quite a number of admirals and ranking officers in need of ships to command, but for now these great metal behemoths made a fine appearance together.

…conquest of Belgium became finalized in mid-June with the German occupation policies went into effect. It had been determined by Hitler and his cronies that an even hand would be all that was needed as for the most part Belgians spoke some German and some even sympathized with the German cause. The effects of this policy would encourage the Germans to enact the same policies throughout their empire almost in every case and this author will later touch upon those that seemed excessive or backfired on Germany. For now though the Army was freed up to continue their push into France. Late summer was upon western Europe and the weather proved excellent for the armor units and mechanized forces. Strangely, again Hitler waffled on decisions to build up the navy, deciding this moment to press forward with the entire scheduled naval program though at this time he declined to see a more expensive aircraft carrier program started up. This probably was for the best as the Germans had little to no experience with carriers and they best they could do was copy existing, older carriers of the British. As would be seen, this effort if it had been carried out would have resulted in a waste of resources, time, and money. The British certainly saw that later on…

Interlude

The Japanese empire was growing and expanding quite well. It was also becoming more industrialized with another two dozen provinces finishing up long-term projects. Defenses were also being readied in the Mariane Islands in addition to several infantry units to hold these new areas under Japanese control. Great expenditure of resources were spent in all this effort to make the Japanese empire more powerful as well as to ensure that its peoples would not lack for anything. The growing question on the citizen’s tongues was, when would this expansion all end? For the moment though they and the world did not much care as conflict in China appeared over and attention was focused solely on the war in Europe. Hitler would easily oblige for the next year to ensure all attention would be on him…

Note: As I play through these games, read the notes, and write up the AARs I’m constantly amazed at how much effort the CORE team put into making the events throughout the game seem so realistic and appropriate. I have to imagine that with events like the US import/export deals, the Japanese would be hard-pressed to not take exception and declare war on the Americans. In my AAR the Japanese leadership stays true and faithful to their course of Britain first but oh was it so difficult to do so! Darn Americans!

Fall 1940

The weather throughout the world was fairly pleasant, after the quite warm and often hot summer days most had experienced. Europe and Asia enjoyed mostly rain-free days and comfortable temperatures however most people could not fully take advantage of this. The war machine of Hitler was progressing further into Western Europe and after having already swallowed Belgium it appeared France would be soon to follow. The German panzers slowly and methodically pushed their way into the French defenses and on September 1st the vaunted Maginot line around Metz was captured. As a result the French defenders voluntarily reduced the Line so as to prevent the Germans from further entering the sprawling complex. This would be for naught however, as German engineers made their way deeper into the tunnels as well as the armies maneuvering into the Maginot Line’s rear – where the guns could not fire. The weakness of this great and expensive defensive works was now fully revealed to the world and as a result most nations would not pursue the strategies of the Great War any longer.

Throughout the Fall season, the Japanese industry worked feverishly in producing the needed material, men, and machines for war. Some wondered why, if the Nationalist Chinese had surrendered was so much effort going into producing more for a war that seemed over, but most did their duty. A couple provinces reported finishing improvements to their industries; still others finished coastal defense fortifications or extensive anti-aircraft batteries. Nearly half a dozen infantry units finished training and were sent out to defensive locations throughout the Japanese empire. A third Marine corps was finished and sent for additional training in hunting down Communist Chinese bandits. A couple carrier air group units rolled off the assembly line as well as two new submarine squadrons. The crowning achievement came on November 25th with the launching of the Amagi class battle cruiser Tosa. This magnificent vessel sported all of the latest equipment and her crew consisted of hand-picked men throughout the Imperial Japanese Navy. The might of the Japanese Empire was gradually maturing…

2nd of November, 1940, Washington DC, United States of America

President Roosevelt sat in his customary chair for his “Fireside Chat”, a radio and television broadcast this time in an all out effort to appeal to the American public. The current election had not been going quite so well for he and the Democratic party as the challenger to Roosevelt’s bid for a third term, Senator Robert Taft was campaigning quite vigorously. As a result Roosevelt had launched himself into a last ditch effort to sway the vote. He had many issue to hurdle, among them the unprecedented third term, his failing health, and a low confidence level among Americans. His administrations policies of penalizing the Japanese to spur them into abandoning the Chinese war had failed, and quite spectacularly. Now with Germany knocking on the door to Paris something had to be done to shore up the nation’s confidence level.

“My friends,” he began somberly. “At this moment of sadness throughout most of the world, I want to talk with you about a number of subjects that directly affect the future of the United States. We are shocked by the almost incredible eyewitness stories that come to us, stories of what is happening at this moment to the civilian populations of Norway and Belgium and France. I think it is right on this evening before the Sabbath that I should say a word in behalf of women and children and old men who need help -- immediate help in their present distress -- help from us across the seas, help from us who are still free to give it. Tonight over the once peaceful roads of Belgium and France millions are now moving, running from their homes to escape bombs and shells and fire and machine gunning, without shelter, and almost wholly without food. They stumble on, knowing not where the end of the road will be. I speak to you of these people because each one of you that is listening to me tonight has a way of helping them. The American Red Cross that represents each of us is rushing food and clothing and medical supplies to these destitute civilian millions. Please -- I beg you -- please give according to your means to your nearest Red Cross chapter, give as generously as you can. I ask this in the name of our common humanity. Let us sit down together again, you and I, to consider our own pressing problems that confront us. For more than three centuries we Americans have been building on this continent a free society, a society in which the promise of the human spirit may find fulfillment. Commingled here are the blood and genius of all the peoples of the world who have sought this promise.

We have built well. We are continuing our efforts to bring the blessings of a free society, of a free and productive economic system, to every family in the land. This is the promise of America. It is this that we must continue to build -- this that we must continue to defend. It is the task of our generation, yours and mine. But we build and defend not for our generation alone. We defend the foundations laid down by our fathers. We build a life for generations yet unborn. We defend and we build a way of life, not for America alone, but for all mankind. Ours is a high duty, a noble task.

Day and night I pray for the restoration of peace in this mad world of ours. It is not necessary that I, the President ask the American people to pray in behalf of such a cause -- for I know you are praying with me. I am certain that out of the hearts of every man, woman and child in this land, in every waking minute, a supplication goes up to Almighty God; that all of us beg that suffering and starving, that death and destruction may end -- and that peace may return to the world. In common affection for all mankind, your prayers join with mine -- that God will heal the wounds and the hearts of humanity.”

The President ended his broadcast thus with this pledge of ensuring peace for Americans by keeping the United States well-defended.

6th of November, 1940, United States of America

On Election Night Americans had a choice and one that upon reflection seemed rather simple. Should the current sitting President be elected to an unprecedented and one would presume challenged in court third term or should the Republican agenda of Isolationism be followed with the election of their candidate, Senator Robert Taft? In the end many voters had a difficult time in choosing between a comfortable President Roosevelt and the likeable Senator Taft and the results reflected the closeness of the voting. However the next morning the papers would proclaim Robert Taft as the newly elected President with a slim majority in voters and a commanding 200 electorate lead. Thus would America’s politics in the future be heavily tempered with the new Isolationist viewpoint and, as an unforeseen consequence the Japanese military strategy in the coming year.

10th of November 1940, Imperial Military Headquarters, Japan

Preparations had been underway for the past few weeks for the 2600th anniversary celebration of Japan as a nation but General Anami declined to participate for the moment. Granted, he and his staff as well as nearly everyone in the IMH would take the next day off from duties as failure to do so would invite bad luck as well as dishonor the Emperor. For now though, Anami pored over reports, made notes, and issued orders as needed. The 4th Marine Corps had finished up their anti-bandit operations in northern China and only a few provinces remained that required mopping-up. Maneuvers had nearly finished in the encirclement of Communist China and orders had been sent out requesting an early December attack on the first of the many strongholds there. It would be another couple of months before the armor and infantry units would arrive near Sinkiang, perhaps longer if the beautiful weather did not hold for them, but there would be plenty of time to consolidate that conquest.

Aside from the creation of all the infantry, Marine, and carrier air groups the past two months, researchers had developed some interesting doctrines. First, a Forward Logistical Support network had been developed, largely in response to the great distances supply had to travel to the armies surrounding the Communists. This would allow units to stockpile needed materials nearby where operations would commence as well as provide them the equipment to bring additional reserve supplies. Second, an Improved Invasion Organization had been expounded on as the means to ensure successful attacks in the future. This above all Anami looked forward to eagerly as he knew within a year his forces would be looking at invading a nation again. Third, with the sea trials of the Zuiho and her fleet having been underway for a couple of months, new Carrier Task Force Doctrines had been debated that would better utilize this new king of the seas – the aircraft carrier. As a result plans were being drawn up for the creation of more newer and modern carriers. Lastly, scientists had created an Improved Electromechanical Encryption Device ensuring Anami’s military leaders would be able to send unbreakable encoded messages to and from the battlefields as well as throughout their Empire.

Issuing last orders and requesting confirmation of his previous requests to the field commanders, Anami finished up for the evening as he and his staff took and earlier than normal respite from their daily routines. Tomorrow would be a cause for great celebration and with the results of the war in China many citizens would have much to be grateful for.

battle_france12.jpg

…a period of two weeks saw the collapse of the French government and its eventual surrender. First came the fall of Paris on November 11th which affected nations throughout the world in many ways. The United Kingdom saw themselves as the lone defender of democracy in Europe, though more could have been done to prevent the French collapse if Churchill had sent more than just Canadian troops. In a deal quickly inked via Oceanic telegraph the UK offered to turn over their bases in the Western hemisphere if America would exchange some badly needed destroyers for them. As Roosevelt was still President during this time, though having lost in the election days before, he agreed to send fifty aging World War 1 era destroyers in return for gaining control of British bases in Central America and the Caribbean islands. These much needed vessels were immediately pressed into action against the Germans and as readers may know, kept the Nazis from aggressively pursuing a program of underwater warfare.

The Canadians saw the fall of Paris as a terrible time as this meant for them the great fashions from there would now be closed off. The Australian nation’s few isolationist holdouts changed their minds when the full desperation of the European people became evident. And the Germans cemented their relationship with many of its neighbors with the creation and signing of the Tri-Partite Pact. Hungary signed a couple days after Paris fell, Yugoslavia signed a limited Pact of Steel two weeks later, and both Italy and Japan signed on the 27th. All of this would be mere words on paper however and Hitler had exhibited how well he could follow treaties and pacts. Still, the Axis powers were growing stronger every day and with the Romanian nation joining them in mid-October there were a total of four major powers – Germany, Hungary, Bulgaria, and now Romania. Germany would need all these friends though as within a matter of a few days from Paris being entered by the Heer, Hitler declared war on the Netherlands. This was seen by many leaders as simply a formality as obviously the tiny nation would too be subjugated by the Germans as had been their neighbors in Belgium.

Japan’s policies during all of this were fairly insular, as should be expected for a nation half a world away and dealing with their own conflicts in China. However it would become known years after the fact that military planners had embarked on a quest for conquest of Asia and desired the French and British holdings there. Still, due to diligent research by this author, war with the United Kingdom and Japan was a near thing. Japanese leaders were fractured in their desires with some wishing to punish Russia for its transgressions earlier in the year, most of the other leaders pushing a South First mentality, and incredibly a few military planners espousing a first strike against America. No one knows how that would have played out, but certainly events that occurred over the years of ’36-’40 would determine the eventual course of action. Some actions and events have already been described in this book earlier and in the waning days of 1940 two other events happened that would firmly push the South First group into prominence. The already-mentioned election of the Isolationist loving Republicans gave the Japanese leaders some much-needed relief and the German capture at-sea of the British vessel Automedon. This ship, improbably and curiously was sailing unescorted carrying several thousand tons of aviation fuel as well as documents detailing British dispositions of their far-flung empire. Detailed within the Japanese would discover that the British had pulled most of their garrisons and manpower out of Hong Kong, Singapore, and the eastern border of India. This combined with other events would…

Interlude

Western Europe was going through a very tumultuous time with Germany having fully conquered Belgium, racing into the Netherlands, and a few days later on November 20th forcing the French government into accepting terms of surrender. Among these terms was the guarantee that southern France would be allowed to set up their own form of government, hinging upon of course of German acceptance of that body of leadership, and all of France’s holdings throughout the world would be subject to this new nation. Called Vichy France the implications of this sudden upheaval in a world power became rapidly apparent. Firstly, some lone detractors of the new government refused to acknowledge this surrender and led by DeGaulle portions of the previous French empire declared their independence, calling themselves Free France. Second, Hitler assumed Vichy France would play a role in the conflicts he was instigating but the Vichy government resolutely declared their neutrality regardless of German will. This in hindsight was quite intelligent of them as declaring war on the British would only result in the loss of all Vichy holdings outside of mainland Europe.

Third, a day after Vichy France was created, the British saw themselves as the only nation left holding the torch of freedom and created the Home Guard. Wisely in their own way, England saw a need for all able-bodied people to prepare for a coming invasion from Germany. Fortunately for them the Home Guard was never tested but it would allow the release from defensive duties of regular infantry. Fourth, the Japanese demanded complete control of French Indochina, which was against conventional wisdom of the time. All of Japan’s military forces were located far north operating against the Communist Chinese still and the nation of Sinkiang. Still, a few garrison units were scraped together to ensure peace in the new Japanese addition to their empire. A good thing too as a couple days later Siam saw the chance to right imagined wrongs and began an undeclared conflict against the former French colony. Quickly, the Japanese leadership stepped in and (for their little “brothers”) mediated a settlement that ended favorably for Siam. Of course, Japanese leaders would remember this for quite some time…

Apparently Hitler desired a more pliant Yugoslavian nation as a Coup d’état (most suspected the Gestapo and SS had a hand in) removed the current government and placed a more hard-line group in power. Within a day the Yugoslavs revoked all military access for Germany, causing Hitler to fly into a rage. His immediate decision? “Crush them!” The Allies – consisting of the UK, a now impotent France, British colonies and holdings, Norway, and now besieged Netherlands offered Yugoslavia help, but what help they could give when they couldn’t even save themselves was unknown. In fact, on the 30th of November the Dutch had to move their capital overseas to Batavia in the Southwestern Pacific as German troops rolled in. As for Japan, all the work in creating and preparing defenses in the Pacific made the Americans a little uneasy and President Roosevelt continued his hard-line stance with the Japanese by sending a protest to the ambassador in Washington. This, of course was promptly ignored by Tokyo…

Note: Communist China is in my sights now and next month the first attacks there would commence. Pleasant weather would give me the confidence I needed in order to prosecute this attack. I had initially considered taking Madagascar as well when I first started the game, but upon reflection I decided to not be quite so greedy as the US war clock would tick up greatly. It was bad enough the US got so put-out when I took over all of Indochina, but I really wanted the area as a launching point for my next attacks. Germany moved rather slowly into France (I thought) but the end result was the same as it always seems to be. I had no idea how Germany would be able to handle war in Yugoslavia and an assault on Norway though…usually I take out Norway in 1939. Oh well, I had my own concerns and worries to occupy myself with! Incidentally, the speech by President Roosevelt I got from here and modified to better fit the overall event that had fired. I’m not certain what benefits (if any) the US gets when Taft is elected, but I know I’ll be presenting all US actions under his administration in the light of Isolationism.

Note: Communist China is in my sights now and next month the first attacks there would commence. Pleasant weather would give me the confidence I needed in order to prosecute this attack. I had initially considered taking Madagascar as well when I first started the game, but upon reflection I decided to not be quite so greedy as the US war clock would tick up greatly. It was bad enough the US got so put-out when I took over all of Indochina, but I really wanted the area as a launching point for my next attacks. Germany moved rather slowly into France (I thought) but the end result was the same as it always seems to be. I had no idea how Germany would be able to handle war in Yugoslavia and an assault on Norway though…usually I take out Norway in 1939. Oh well, I had my own concerns and worries to occupy myself with! Incidentally, the speech by President Roosevelt I got from here and modified to better fit the overall event that had fired. I’m not certain what benefits (if any) the US gets when Taft is elected, but I know I’ll be presenting all US actions under his administration in the light of Isolationism.

Excellent! ComChi is usually just an exercise in mountain troop travel time....

Good move going only for indochina...the default Vichy response to the 'grab them both' action is to show you the middle finger. You only have a 5% chance of getting them to agree. (or something like that)

Congratulations on getting Taft elected...the US war clock has now been set back a bit...A LONG BIT! You can proceed pretty much at will now!

TheExecuter

• 1Like
Reactions:
Great last update! I don't know about you but everytime I see the picture of the Molotov-Ribbentrop (or something) Signing, the picture always looks fake (especially the Soviet General)

Congratulations on getting Taft elected...the US war clock has now been set back a bit...A LONG BIT! You can proceed pretty much at will now!

TheExecuter

Ohhh, didn't realize that happened with the war clock. In my one US game I chose historical, not knowing what would happen if Taft got elected. :rolleyes: Looks like its all smooth sailing for the Japanese!

Great last update! I don't know about you but everytime I see the picture of the Molotov-Ribbentrop (or something) Signing, the picture always looks fake (especially the Soviet General)

Danke! Yes, the pic looks very, very staged - but probably was!