• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
qwerkus said:
If this works, perhaps you could try to move krakow to one of your asian provs, or to the americas ...
Yes. It works. The reason why I bought Auckland from UK is I want to move Krakow to Oceania. In terms of industrial score, only RR on the same continent as the capital count, it makes more sense to have capital in Oceania instead of Asia or Americas.

The way computer chooses new capital is not random. In Krakow's case, since the only original province will be seceded to Poland, the capital will be:
1) The first acquired province out of Poland;
2) If more than one province were acquired at the same time, the capital will be the first one in alphabetical order;
3) If the first acquired province(s) was sold then acquired back, it will lose the priority.

That is to say, in order to move capital to Auckland, I will need to get rid of all my Chinese and Siberia provinces first.

Well, having your capital in Asia enables you to grant statehood to any Asian province and thus being able to build factories there. Imagine all those chinese POPs filling your factories :).

Eärendil said:
Well, having your capital in Asia enables you to grant statehood to any Asian province and thus being able to build factories there. Imagine all those chinese POPs filling your factories :).
That's right. But since you have no chance to assimilate Chinese or Indian into your national pops, factories in Asia can only be half efficient at most. On the down side, you still need to pay the full hefty education and social benefit cost.

In beginning of the game, factories are not profitable anyway, so I'd rather leave India and China as colonies. In case in the future I do need to build factories in Asia, I will liberate Georgia. Suchumi is technically in Asia. Selling Asian provinces to Georgia and buying back will turn those provinces into states. :D

You surely don't keep any lands at your control for long periods of time. What provinces do you aim for in the end or do you plan to continue this cycling of provinces till the end?

By transferring three coastal provinces and half of Ryukyu claims to the UK, plus Tuva as a goodwill gesture, Krakow received three important technologies and footholds in Canada and Oceania. To Krakow’s joy, UK also offered 5 batches of precious machine parts as a gift. KFC happily took the offer and put some of them in building railroads in Krakow city. Some machine parts were delivered to Siberia, there two missions were being build close to Yakutsk.

It was going to take a few years to build the missions, nonetheless, railroads in Krakow were making rapid progress. KFC only spent less than 2 months to finish a railroad network covering the whole country. The world were surprised and impressed by Krakow’s great craftsmanship. Krakow became a Great Power!
gpdx0.jpg

wargames said:
Yes. It works. The reason why I bought Auckland from UK is I want to move Krakow to Oceania. In terms of industrial score, only RR on the same continent as the capital count, it makes more sense to have capital in Oceania instead of Asia or Americas.

The way computer chooses new capital is not random. In Krakow's case, since the only original province will be seceded to Poland, the capital will be:
1) The first acquired province out of Poland;
2) If more than one province were acquired at the same time, the capital will be the first one in alphabetical order;
3) If the first acquired province(s) was sold then acquired back, it will lose the priority.

That is to say, in order to move capital to Auckland, I will need to get rid of all my Chinese and Siberia provinces first.

VERY helpful: should be taken over as it is by vickywiki.

I didn't get the point of moving to oceania (isn't it part of asia?) because of RR (RailrRoads ?). You mean that if you railroad the whole continent, you get more IND points ? I would have adviced to move to the americas, to get the healthy immigration bonus; but if you're planning to conquer/buy out china or India, pops wont be a problem...

wargames said:
That's right. But since you have no chance to assimilate Chinese or Indian into your national pops, factories in Asia can only be half efficient at most.

Actually, this is not completely true. Playing released Australia some time ago, I used to MOVE the indian and chinese pops to Australia. As they arrive in batches of ~700 craftsmen, they assimilate quite well under full citizenship; Once they moved, you can even more speed up the process by converting them back to labourers. It is a real micromanagement hell, but finally, you can easily end up with 500M brits in Australia ...

qwerkus said:
I didn't get the point of moving to oceania (isn't it part of asia?) because of RR (RailrRoads ?). You mean that if you railroad the whole continent, you get more IND points ? I would have adviced to move to the americas, to get the healthy immigration bonus; but if you're planning to conquer/buy out china or India, pops wont be a problem...
Yes. The main incentive to move capital to Auckland is RR. IND score heavily relies on RR coverage on the continent where the capital is located. Oceania is a separate continent. Building RR all over Oceania is much easier than in Canada, alone leave the whole Americas or Asia.

In terms of assimilation, I was under the same wrong impression regarding capital until I read this and had my own tests. Basically, location of capital has nothing to do with rate or capacity of assimilation. It is the location/status of the province, size/religion/employment of pops that affects assimilation. USA tag gets a special bonus on assimilation on top of everything.

qwerkus said:
Actually, this is not completely true. Playing released Australia some time ago, I used to MOVE the indian and chinese pops to Australia. As they arrive in batches of ~700 craftsmen, they assimilate quite well under full citizenship; Once they moved, you can even more speed up the process by converting them back to labourers. It is a real micromanagement hell, but finally, you can easily end up with 500M brits in Australia ...
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear enough. I meant it is literally impossible to assimilate Chinese and Indians in China or India. It is impossible to assimilate a pop >10K in Asia even if I put a full-citizenship party in power. I have no doubt that Chinese will come to my provinces in Oceania and Americas in small batches. But I don't need to grant statehood to my Chinese possessions for getting immigrants.

EvilSanta said:
Krakow as a great power is something I never thought I would see.

Nice work.
Thank you very much! With regard to your question on which land to keep, I think I will keep most of them after I have cleared my stock of Chinese and Siberia provinces. The thing is every inch of Krakow soil must serve the interest of the country, not the other way round.

wargames said:
Yes. The main incentive to move capital to Auckland is RR. IND score heavily relies on RR coverage on the continent where the capital is located. Oceania is a separate continent. Building RR all over Oceania is much easier than in Canada, alone leave the whole Americas or Asia.

In terms of assimilation, I was under the same wrong impression regarding capital until I read this and had my own tests. Basically, location of capital has nothing to do with rate or capacity of assimilation. It is the location/status of the province, size/religion/employment of pops that affects assimilation. USA tag gets a special bonus on assimilation on top of everything.

I didn't write about assimilation here, but immigration. And so, I keep thinking that american provs get MORE immigrants than other. As an example, playing oranje/transvaal once, as I conquered american provs (with gold) the big part of immigrants went there, leaving only a few guys for home transorangia :(...
Anyway, thanks for your explanations; you're really a GREAT player. Keep on, keep on: I curious to see how you'll end this game.

Last edited:
Meanwhile in the Middle East, Krakow's ally of Ottoman Empire was making good progress towards The Nile River. Ottoman's Prussian equipped and trained division obviously played a key role in the war. In the Americas, two new nations - Bolivia and Cuba - claimed independence from their former masters.
boliviacubauh5.jpg

Back to Asia, although Krakow was officially neutral in the Sino-British war, most of Krakow people were strongly against British invasion of China. To stop British India Company smuggling opium into China any more, KFC acquired Indian opium provinces from British India Company. This deal was not only morally supported by all KFC shareholders, but also turned out to have brought a cash cow for KFC. Inspired by the success, little by little, by May 1841 KFC took over the whole Genges River Valley and Upper Punjab from British India Company. Railroads were also started to be built there.
opiumri3.jpg
northindiala7.jpg

Amazing AAR! I think Krakow might be the most difficult civilized country to play (except for armenia maybe :p).

Did you trade those Indian provinces for Chinese ones, or did you just buy them?

M4 Emperior said:
good. Will you further buy Tarnow, Kielce, Zator or Nowy Sacz? I like this save.
Most likely. The most important goal of this AAR is to restore Poland. I will do it as peaceful as possible. I can buy the provinces you mentioned from Austria, and Congress Poland from Russia. The main challenge is Prussia. Quite a few Poland's cores are Prussia's cores as well. It seems that I will have to launch a war against Prussia. I will have to do it before Prussia turns into Germany.

Taylor said:
Amazing AAR! I think Krakow might be the most difficult civilized country to play (except for armenia maybe :p).

Did you trade those Indian provinces for Chinese ones, or did you just buy them?
In my opion, Georgia is definitely the most difficult one, if ever possible to survive, without cheating or massive save/load.

I wish I had enough cash to buy India. No, I had to trade Chinese provinces away for Indian ones. :eek:o I am not that rich.

Ah yes, I meant Georgia instead of Armenia :eek:o. That poor little country really has nothing to begin with and always gets attacked by big bully Russia :(.

This perhaps are one of the most amazing achievement in Victoria. Very impress by you skillful diplomatic action to increase relation, land, and population! :eek:

Georgia start with even half of the population are non national culture. I want to try to increase relation with Russia by revolt as in AAR but fail :wacko:

August 1841, after another successful acquisition of some Indian provinces, both Krakow's population and total export value exceeded United Kingdom and emerged to be No. 2 in the world. Within one year or two, the whole British India would change hand into Krakow's control.

expkw7.jpg

Krakow's quick expansion in Asia was not unnoticed. One day, an unexpected guest visited Krakow - Father Nicholas, Pope's special envoy! To Krakow's surprise, Father Nicholas did not come to lobby an armistice between Krakow and France, the two most powerful Catholic countries. Instead, what the Pope wanted was - war against Annam!

popetownsw5.jpg

Why war against Annam? In October 1840, Annam had so-called "Thieu-tris Splendid Isolation". Christianity was since banned in the country. The Pope was not amused. He spent a whole year lobbying France, the most powerful Catholic country to punish Annam, but didn't get what he wanted. Now seeing the quick rise of Krakow, the Pope saw another hope.

anncomcb8.jpg

December 1841, Krakow declared colonial war against Annam and her ally of Cambodia.