• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Very good AAR, and a great idea. I'll be keeping an eye on this. :)

Homelands
Chapter Four: Quiet before the Storm
Part 2

Prelude:
Originally, when Aethelweard looked for a bride he looked to take a bride to earn him greater prestige. The lands of Prussia left him in a European backwater and it was up to him to bring Prussia into the civilized world. Initially the quickest means of accomplishing this would be to submit to a more powerful King. Many Kings eventually expected Prussia to submit to Poland, though both Denmark and Sweden also vied for influence over the Duchy. Aethelweard was presented with many wives, but none of influence. Instead each was a testing of the waters, a hook dangled by a King to see if the Saxon would react positively. Aethelweard surprised much of Europe when he finally did marry.

April 1st, 1085

Aethelweard Leofricson’s wife was traveling from her home in Kiev to her new home in Marienscír. Her name was Anastasia Rurikovitch. She was one of the younger daughters of the Prince of Kiev, and Aethelweard received her well in his court. Known to be smart, charming, and sensual, Anastasia quickly gained clout in Prussia even before the wedding. She also gained numerous enemies, including the Pope’s bishop in Prussia. The bishop approached Aethelweard before the wedding bringing a warning.

“Aethelweard! You tempt fate!”

“I don’t seem to know who you are addressing. If it is me, I believe the term is ‘My lord.’ People are not in my good graces and call me by name have a tendency to go to trial for treason.”

“You are trying to get us invaded!”

“Bishop!”

The bishop grew quiet, “My lord, marrying a non-Catholic would bring ruin onto us!”

“You are rather short-sighted. The Pope is not our ally, he is taxes us to death and we get no compensation for it out here.”

“How dare you!”

“Quiet yourself, I will have you hanged.”

Aethelweard parted from his bishop and the following day was wed to the Russian beauty, which was celebrated around the Duchy. But the Catholic bishops were soon working behind the Duke’s back with the help of Poland. They realized that attacking Aethelweard himself would cause an international crisis, and with Denmark hungering for influence over the Baltic, a war might break out if Aethelweard wasn’t left alone. Instead, the bishops planned to have Anastasia assassinated before she could convert Aethelweard and his court. Poland supported the plan, and even went as far as to get Papal support.

Russia.jpg

The Russian Princes in Yellow and the Duchy of Prussia in Gold. Aethelweard had attempted to build a Ruso-Prussian alliance by wedding the daughter of the Prince of Kiev.

December 25th, 1085

On Christmas Day, Anastasia was poisoned as she sat with child next to Aethelweard. She was four months pregnant with the ne’re-to-be heir of the Leofricsons. Her death was violent, and it would leave Aethelweard emotionally scarred for his entire life. Court members were astonished when Aethelweard grabbed a knife and used it to personally arrest the bishop. Without trial or even an announcement of execution, the condemned was beheaded the next morning. The pagan population of Marienscír rejoiced at what they thought was the end of their persecution.

The following day the sixteen year-old Aethelweard went into seclusion. He would not be seen outside his castle for almost three years when he eventually emerged from his mourning to wed again. But when he came back into public life he was a changed man.

Rahhh! I really don't like the Pope at this point. What to do? :(

Rawr!
A crusade of righteousness!
Must be actually quite shocking when you are 16 and your wife is getting killed and you know you have been warned before hand. :eek:o

How many provinces more do you need to become a King?

And who says you have to pay taxes to the Pope?
The Bible doesn't even mention the Pope!

Rahhh! I really don't like the Pope at this point. What to do? :(
At this point wait. What had really happened in the story was I married a russian, and then got the "Your wife is orthodox" event about five times every week for about half a year, so I finally killed her to be done with the annoyance.

Rawr!
A crusade of righteousness!
Must be actually quite shocking when you are 16 and your wife is getting killed and you know you have been warned before hand. :eek:o

How many provinces more do you need to become a King?

And who says you have to pay taxes to the Pope?
The Bible doesn't even mention the Pope!

A few more, at this point in the game it is a few decades before I am king of anything.

True that, but I was under Papal supremacy at the time.

A changed man?

Cold as steel in winter's embrace,
Hard as diamonds upon the neck of his beloved.

He WILL have is vengenace. :rofl:

Sorry about no weekend update, I started playing and I kept playing and playing and playing.... @___@ Fun stuff with the future Kings, lots of intrigues and a cool inheritance...

Anyways a few notes:

- I've started the update so it should be done soon after I am done with classes today
- I've decided to take this AAR into EUIII MMP

Homelands
Chapter Four: Quiet before the Storm
Part 3

Prelude:
After the death of his first wife and son-to-be in 1085, Aethelweard Leofricson went into seclusion. He ruled his demesne from his bedroom, rarely leaving for any reason. From there he made sure that he was safe from Papal knives while he consolidated his rule over the pagans. In 1088 Aethelweard returned to the public eye. He married a young Bohemian girl, Markéta Premyslid, daughter of the Bohemian King. But he was never truly happy with the marriage or his life after that point. He turned to the one man he could trust, Aethelstan.

October 20th, 1088

“Aethelstan, you are one of the few people I can still trust.”

“I am happy to hear those words; it puts an old man at ease.”

“Old? Aethelstan, you are not even forty yet, hardly old.”

“Heh, maybe so.”

“Is what I am doing going to pay out?”

Aethelstan was quiet for a brief moment before asking, “What are you going to do?”

“I am going to have Prussia leave the Catholic Church.”

Aethelstan took a deep breath through his nose. “Young Aethelweard, you have in you much the spirit of your father. You are a rebel. But if you do this, will you be able to hold this country together? Will you be able to defend your father’s realm?”

“I hope so. We are not in a position to warrant an invasion. There are no holy sites here; there are no real Christians other than the handful of Saxons”

“Ah, but how will the Saxons react?”

“How different would things be? I have read of mass in Kiev, and it seems no different than that of Rome…”

“No, but the superficial issues still exist.”

Aethelweard sighed, “We shall need to forcibly remove the Pope’s minions in these lands.”

“We would.”

“Would you be willing to serve as the Marshal of Prussia again?”

“I would,” Aethelstan smiled, “Life as a farmer has changed since my days as a child, I have longed for a good horse under me and a good sword in my hand.”

“My father had a good mind to bring you along here.”

“Heh, maybe. He did bring me, so I shall do what is required of me, and for now that is cement the dynasty I am sworn to protect here in this new land, regardless. But Aethelweard, give it time. We need the Pope to forget we are even here.”

Aethelweard nodded, “I understand.”

The young Duke returned to his bride, who was silently being tended too in the main chamber. She did not look at him longingly like he remember Anastasia, she recognized herself as a pawn caught between two Kings, the one that wanted to kill her and the one willing to let her die. Neither was her ally, but she had to fulfill her place. This King needed an heir, and her old King needed an ally. Aethelweard walked around her and headed to the veranda to look out over the Baltic Sea.

End Chapter Four