• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
And on the topic of HOI4 Seriously? I have to admit I was a little surprised myself. It screams 'silent admission of failure' when a product gets a sequel so soon.

I admit I didn't like HoI3, I've been waiting for this sequel for longer than you, probably. "Finally!" was my first thought. I have damn high expectations from this game.

I believe DOTA 2 can be played from PC's, game consoles and mobile devices and that is the reason it dwarfs all other games in popularity. I'd buy it myself but I'm not interested in first person shooter games.

Say what? Please google a DOTA 2 gameplay video.

Nagasaki and Hiroshima weren't civilian targets though.
As per Wiki on choice of targets:
"Hiroshima, an embarkation port and industrial center that was the site of a major military headquarters" and Nagasaki was a major port and arms center.

You forgot purely.
On the betrayed scientists point: So you've developed a weapon capable of killing thousands of people - for a nation known for bombing civilians - and think this is to be used against purely military targets? Sorry, either you're just plain stupid, or you try to evade your responsibility.

As per Wiki on choice of targets:
"Hiroshima, an embarkation port and industrial center that was the site of a major military headquarters" and Nagasaki was a major port and arms center.

Try visiting the museum, monument and dome in Hiroshima. Yes target cities were chosen because of military importance, that they were large enough to access full damage of the blast, that they were unharmed from other bombing (so all damage was from the bomb). So no they werent purely civilian target but its ignorant to believe they werent chosen for maximum effect, civilian and military alike and also for the best possible "test" of the weapon.

Hate to jump on a bandwagon, but yeah, HOI3 was horrible! The only PI game I've played and genuinely not enjoyed. It's thoroughly confusing, even by PI standards, not remotely newbie-friendly, graphics suck, sprite packs don't work, ugh! I've tried 4 or 5 times to get into it, and just couldn't. EU3, EU4, CK, CK2 and Vicky 2 I've loved, Sengoku and EU Rome not so much, but I've had some fun with them. HOI3 just no. I hold out hope, WW2 is something that could and should work so brilliantly with that Paradox approach, so HOI4 can be great, but the graphics, user interface, accessibility, freedom of decisions and some other bits all need to be markedly different from what's gone before.

If PDS make the right decisions, this could be a fantastic game. Make the wrong ones and well, a polished turd is still a turd.

Soon? HoI III came out in 2009, HoI IV is due out in 2015.

Hearts of Iron, like World War II, is best served when it has been aged like a fine cheese. I think Guderian references the speed of a wheel of Gouda as his analogy for panzer warfare in Achtung-Panzer! The wax rind is the infantry, and the panzers are the Gouda itself.

;)

I liked HoI3 but didn't get into it until TFH, found it suited my need for complexity and scope but the doom stacks and other things peeved me. After 2 months vanilla was a cake walk and found BICE, 1.5 years later and I still look forward to every game play session. I just wish the AI was at least a half wit and used the doctrines I researched.

Dat feeling has ruined many fanboys nights.

Haha, that's true. I hope Paradox deliver on the expectations they build up. But in what they said so far they seem to have a sensible approach and I'm thinking that if anyone can do WW2 strategy right it should be them. Even if we had some hiccups in the past.

I think that with EU4 they played it safe, just take what's already in EU3, repackage and streamline a bit and you cannot fail. With HoI4 I hope for a little bit more innovation.

I actually stopped buying Paradox games after HOI3, I felt it was that bad on release.

I loved HOI2, so if 4 is decent I'll give it a go, but I went from buying all Paradox games to none.

That's a pity really, HOI3 is far worse than the other games Paradox made following it. Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis 4 and Victoria 2 (though I forget if that came before or after HOI3) are all gold, comparatively speaking.

I suppose your opinion on HOI4 should be based on whether you think the flaws of HOI3 can be fixed with small expansions and patches, or whether you think more fundamental work is required, rebuilding from the ground up. I think it needs a fundamental redesign before I can really call it good, so I'm glad to see HOI4 coming.